Hardware minimalism

Does anyone on Jow Forums ever toy around with seeing how weak of hardware they can get by with for day to day use?

I use an old netbook with an Atom N270 and 1 GB of RAM whenever I want/need to access the internet away from home, and it actually works pretty well. It seems that one of the main limitations I have for what hardware I need is the JS requirement for the Jow Forums catalog, considering the RSS version of the catalog only includes the 20 most recent threads and the only off site RSS version I know of that includes the full catalog doesn't include images. If it wasn't for that I could go significantly lower.

Attached: 1536449975286.jpg (437x403, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sifive.com/boards/hifive-unleashed
myanimelist.net/anime/38474/Yuru_Camp△_2nd_Season
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no, that’s retarded

Why would you ever do that?

>hurfdurf y u not using gtx2080 poorfeg
Fuck off. We have the technology these days to make perfectly acceptable minimalistic hardware solutions, but somehow everything needs to have over 9000 gb ram and octocore processors because gay faggots can't code in anything different than javascript with 15 frameworks attached. If people knew how to make properly optimized software, we could actually have pocket computers with a battery life comparable to that of old nokia phones.

but they don’t so you’re retarded

this, based and redpilled

>to see how much you can actually get out of a piece of hardware
>to keep old hardware in service long past what the average luser would claim was its "usable life"
>to prove how unnecessary newer hardware advancements are for most uses, and how ridiculously wasteful most people and companies are these days
>to provide for every day use with extremely low power consumption, if you get into using newer low power hardware
>because only caring about what can be done with the latest and greatest hardware is boring

Weak hardware is retarded because anything you don't compile yourself is a virus.

Jow Forums's catalog is a simple script that retrieves and parses data from 4cdn. The API is documented on github and usable by anybody.

OwO whats this?
*notices freedom*
sifive.com/boards/hifive-unleashed

Attached: riscv.png (512x512, 24K)

This is my thinking as well.
I'm a huge fan of web 1.0 inspired or Nintendo DSi browser websites for this reason. A taste of what could be.

reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strongest suite

Attached: 1504562149079.jpg (724x1024, 280K)

>literally costs $1 gorillion
jesus christ

That SBCs aren't usable as a desktop says far more about the weight of modern software than the hardware itself.

>using more electricity to do the same computations
nice """"minimalism""""

>muh smug animoe

Attached: 1536317297178.gif (468x468, 497K)

T H I S

They can be usable as desktops though. You just need to choose your software accordingly and avoid bloatware.

Hardware minimalism needs to be about physical size, not capability. Using a small single board PC would be minimalism.

Thats just stupid and absolutely glowing.

Nice thread OP,i also would like to see barebone websites instead to this junk aids. Keep up mate!

Nice my senpai, I'm thinking about moving to one of the old Atom netbooks

i have a travel x220 that has a bunch of shittiest-but-compatible parts from my parts hoard:

>64gb msata from scrap gen 1 surface
>2x2gb at 1066mhz, slower than stock
>ips panel swapped with tn
>single band wifi card
>4 cell battery for weights' sake
>3rd party ac adapter
>broken displayport
>flaky trackpad (disabled in bios)
>generally looks like shit

not exactly minimalist "how slow can i go", more like "what am i not pissed about losing"

i guess to also add my most "minimalist" computer, an hp 1000cx palmtop. a variant of the 200lx without the personal organizer software, just pure ms-dos:

>80186 @ 8mhz
>ms-dos 5
>2mb ramdisk (640kb reserved for system memory)
>30 hrs on 2 aa batteries
>pcmcia 2 slot, accepts a network card

can do wget, ftp, irc, telnet natively. telnet into your openwrt router, then ssh into remote system, and do as much as 80x25 lets you

Attached: hp1000cx.jpg (1280x960, 580K)

My workstation is a beast but when I’m out and about I carry an acer c740 with Linux and I upgraded to a 128gb ssd. Works well for me.

Hardware minimalism should be about keeping and using hardware you already have and even keeping that to a minimum. Like if you already have 3 laptops get rid of two of them and keep the best one. What purpose is there to be using an shitty atom laptop from 2007 vs a more useable core series laptop from 2011? Your not being any more efficient.

>hardware minimalism should be about updating rather than using old hardware because old hardware isn't efficient
>you shouldn't keep old laptops around that could easily be repurposed for other uses either
I wonder who could be behind this post.

Which of those routers runs openwrt and still has gsm/4gLTE?

I'm supprized by the little core m5 in this.
It basically replaced my laptop completely for everything except large/multiple VMs, solely because of ram limitations.

Attached: IMG_20181023_171853.jpg (5312x2988, 1.03M)

bump

What laptop model is that? I tried looking around on the website and could only find Toughbook models

CF-RZ4

Did I ever say it should be about updating? No
I only said keep the best you ALREADY have and rid of other devices you truly don’t think you’ll need. If an old atom is all you have and it does the job then ok use it, but if you have a better device then use that and donate the other device or use it if you honestly have another purpose for it.
I don’t get using really old hardware especially if what you’re doing makes the device unpleasant or annoying to use.

I like the thought of an idgaf setup.
Usually when I pack my bag and travel, I'm approaching $3000 used market value.
Then again, 1/3 that is my camera, so hmm.

>and rid of other devices you truly don’t think you’ll need.
Why? There have been a few different times where I've needed a computer for something and pulling one of the old laptops from my closet filled that need. It makes more sense to keep old laptops around than it does to get rid of them and then needing to buy an SBC for something I could have used the laptop for later on.

>I don’t get using really old hardware especially if what you’re doing makes the device unpleasant or annoying to use.
It's not unpleasant if you actually pay attention to what software you're running instead of just trying to throw the same software you may be used to running at a significantly weaker machine.

I use a ThinkPad X220 due to a less extreme version of this idea, but I found that a lot of the software I'm used to works well on lesser hardware, like an Eee PC 900. I already use i3 and a lot of terminal software. I'm thinking of eventually getting some sort of beefy SBC to turn into a desktop. RockPro64 maybe. Definitely not buying x86 ever again.

I'd like a custom-built laptop running RISC-V/ARM/MIPS/POWER with a 60% mechanical keyboard and decent screen (at least 1000 pixels of height would be nice). I'm willing to have it be somewhat weak. There's gotta be some demand for this sort of thing.

Soon brother

Attached: ELEMENT 5_Grafik-1250x625.jpg (1250x625, 75K)

I tried once and it was a retarded idea, using mid range is best.

Tried with an AMD C-60 APU with 6GB RAM, still painfully slow running stripped down Windows 7/10. Linux does not detect some devices so that's out

>Fuck off. We have the technology these days to make perfectly acceptable minimalistic hardware solutions, but somehow everything needs to have over 9000 gb ram and octocore processors

Look, we are not talking about 9900K and 2080Ti tier performance. However, there is a baseline of acceptable performance (basically to perform light office tasks/web browsing without persistent freezes or crashing) and the N270 OP is using definitely falls way below that baseline.

What can be considered baseline(or beyond that to a certain degree):

Core 2 Quad/High Clock Speed Core 2 Duo/Xeon equivalent
1st Gen "Westmere" Celeron, Pentium and i3
2nd-8th Gen Celeron, Pentium and i3, excluding the single core Sandy Bridge G440
AMD Desktop APUs, 28nm and newer
AMD 45nm and newer Athlon X4
AMD FX 4XXX
AMD Athlon 200GE

>If people knew how to make properly optimized software, we could actually have pocket computers with a battery life comparable to that of old nokia phones.

They have no incentive to do that, as good as that may sound, it is simply fantasy that is obtuse from reality. Wake up.

>to prove how unnecessary newer hardware advancements are for most uses, and how ridiculously wasteful most people and companies are these days

Let's just say there's security benefits to using a 64 bit operating system. It's not all about performance.

>easily be repurposed for other uses either

I always thought that to myself too, yet I have not managed to find a single use for my bunch of old hardware other than to play and experiment with them. Of course, I am not throwing them away anytime soon, but "easily be repurposed" really isn't the case.

>pulling one of the old laptops from my closet filled that need.
If you mean pulling a Pentium M Windows XP laptop to browse the net, no thanks. They are really frustrating to use. You would really appreciate fast hardware if you grew up with low end slow hardware that have trouble booting Windows.

when are we getting moer yuru campu?

When I was a little boy, me and my friends always dreamed of more capability, more power. Now what kind of a little boy grows up to be a "hardware minimalist?" An ugly, stunted little boy.

myanimelist.net/anime/38474/Yuru_Camp△_2nd_Season
more is planned, but no exact date yet