/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkCat30.jpg (720x960, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Some-recent-ThinkPads-can-be-destroyed-by-changing-a-UEFI-BIOS-setting.346156.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How many pictures of cats lying on thinkpads do you have?

a few

Attached: Capture.png (149x169, 3K)

I also have dogs.

Attached: ThinkDog.jpg (600x399, 44K)

Should I buy x240 or x230?

X230

X230 doesn't have a shit U-series CPU, it has dual channel RAM, and it can have the 7-row keyboard. It's the obvious choice.

is 140 bones good for a t420 prolly 720p, 4 gb ddr3, 128gb ssd, i5-2520m with a supposedly good battery and ac adapter? it looks like its pretty good condition too.

im gonna be sinking more money into it with upgrades mind u (cpu, screen)

Is the Lenovo Yoga 500-14IB any good ? I found one new for around 200$ and I'd like to buy it to draw and take classes/work. Nothing big to run on it but Photoshop. Will it work in the long term ? And can it run what I want (aka Photoshop/Discord at the same time, things like this.) the model I saw worked with an Intel Core i3 btw.
Or do you have anything/can link something else which is 300$ or less that has a tactile screen and can run photoshop/render fast ?

Attached: Lenovo.jpg (416x416, 17K)

I'd say shop around more. I got one for $150 with 1600x900, 128 SSD, 8GB RAM.

>windows

I have an x200t with a genuine battery that doesn't charge. The laptop itself works just fine for what I use it for, but I really need a working battery.

What are my options? Nobody sells genuine batteries for this thing anymore.

ebay?

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>lunix

Was looking for a cool tablet around 100 USD, and thought "hey, I bet lenovo makes a decent tablet", found this, should I get it?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-26-17-38-54.png (1440x2560, 1.62M)

>hey, I bet lenovo makes a decent tablet
No

my chinkpad t450s is cucking me while I'm trying to increase my epenis.
Startup finished in 4.321s (firmware) + 33ms (loader) + 1.558s (kernel) + 894ms (userspace) = 6.808s

Any way to get the firmware to be less retarded? I'm pretty sure it used to actually have quick boot where you couldn't even get into the bios because it would skip listening for the key.

Install coreboot, oh wait you can't. Buy a coreboot supported model next time.

well shit i'm a retard because i threw a good x200 motherboard because it wouldn't turn on. turns out it was just dead ram.

RRRREEEE don't remind me of that. desu I do own a t60 as well, but I like muh batterylife bruh

I just finished installing gentoo on my x200.

My thoughts so far:
- Track nipple is amazing.
- Keyboard is pretty good.
- BLINKENLIGHTS
- Compiling isn't that slow (coming form a ryzen 7 1700X) but I'm still afraid to compile firefox.
- The rfkill switch is pretty cool but I'll need to clean it because it randomly kills my wifi.
- Configuring the linux kernel is a lot easier the second time.
- Firefox takes more battery loading my youtube subscriptions than compiling mpv.
- Temps are incredible. 50°C while compiling, both cores 100% and the air intake covered.
- 8GB of ram cost as much as the laptop itself.

Some questions:
- Is there a lighter weight browser than firefox that wont make me compile qtwebengine?
- Bluetoothclt is broken, running it prints a new line and hangs, then I have to ^C it. Is this a thinkpad thing or do I have to try another version?
- Any thinkpad specific programs I should install/know about?

Attached: screenshot.png (1280x800, 217K)

Thinking of getting an x230, is the chiclet keyboard much worse than the regular keyboard? I heard the x230 has a lot of upsides on the x220, so if it's serviceable I wanna go for it. Does $220 sound like a good deal on Ebay, w/ dock?

You can swap the keyboard with the one from the X220 with minimal modding. Servicing either is very simple and the only thing that isn't replaceable is the CPU, which is soldered in. $220 is kind of high. What are the specs and screen?

How's the swivel hinge on the x230 tablet versus the regular hinge? I was thinking of getting it because there doesn't seem to be a downside and it already has an IPS screen.

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 w/Dock Core i5-3320M 2.6GHz IPS 4GB 256GB SSD BT FPR Win8.1

I've got 16 gigs of ram I can swap in. Some other x230s on ebay going for $150-180 ish but this one has a dock and looks to be in better cosmetic condition.

How livable is a 1600x900 screen these days? You anons using the x2xx series, can you use it for long periods of time without getting frustrated with the 1366x768? I haven't used non-1080 in like a decade, but the t4xx thinkpads look pretty nice being just a little smaller than t5xx. Would just be for shitposting and light coding in bed/on the couch. I can get a t530 and a t430 for about the same price, would have to buy the HD screen for the 530 though.

The base level i5 makes me think "eh". It's not a terrible deal, since the screen is IPS and it comes with an SSD (assuming the battery is in good condition and it comes with a charger). If best offer is available try to strike something with the seller (hopefully under $200). Beyond that, shop around and you should be able to get a good condition X230 for around $100 with that processor (maybe less) or maybe something with a better processor for a little over $110~$120.

If it's IPS, yeah I can live with it. It's a 12'' screen so it's not that bad. Use smaller fonts and autohide on panels/docks if you want more screen. The TN panels are cancer though. It's hard to use them for a long period of time, but you can make it more bareable if you lower the gamma (0.75 across the board with xrandr/redshift worked well for me). I'm looking at modding in an FHD panel with nitrocaster's board, however.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess I need to keep looking around.
>nitrocaster's board
First I've seen this, 1080p on a 12", sheeeit. That's a really attractive setup.

If you're into it, you could look into ordering a assembled 13.3'' version from the chinks over at 51nb (they call them X330). They use new old stock for it, so the machines are in great condition. Only downside is that there's probably not going to be any specific support for it in coreboot (there's a patch in the works for nitrocaster's mod atm).

Should I put Linux Mint on my X230? It's my daily driver, just use it for web browsing and youtube in bed.

I have a X230 with the IPS 1366x768 panel and it's not so bad. To me, higher resolution with smaller screens is just pointlessly hard to see. 1366x768 on a 12.5" screen is probably the minimum you'd want, and it does just fine. Just make sure you get the IPS screen. It's actually pretty beautiful for what it is.

Like the other user said, make some minor software adjustments to help save space. If you're using windows 10 like a dummy head, turn off that stupid magnified scaling. Otherwise, auto-hide the dock, use smaller fonts, etc.

Linux is pretty great on the X230. Any flavour will be fine.

thanks dude im tired of bloated windows

Gib Thinkpad...pls...

Gib Think.

>If you're into it, you could look into ordering a assembled 13.3'' version from the chinks over at 51nb (they call them X330)
holy shit these make me hard

Attached: x330.jpg (1200x800, 440K)

tpfancontrol is an amazing program for managing your temps and fan speeds but idk if it will install on anything other than windows

zero because i just got a ssd for it yesterday

temple os

Settled for an ME cleaned stock bios in the end on my x220. Couldn't get coreboot with SeaBios payload to boot anything.

Just got a T61 for 10 quid this thinklight is peak comfy

x240 has awful build quality I assure you it will fall apart within 8 months

what's wrong with the E/L series?

Can someone link info on getting a higher resolution screen compatible with the x201/x210 motherboard?

Attached: mi pipi hard.jpg (718x832, 142K)

Did I do good

Forgot image

Attached: 4ch.png (1144x623, 340K)

Yeah, throw in some more RAM and an SDD and you're g2g.

Found a P51, I7 7820HQ, Quadro M2200, 16gb ram, 1080p IPS for about 900 euros. On ebay, the minimum I see is like 1200 pounds, so about 1400 euros. What do you think? I see computers with the same specs (except the graphics card which I could care less) for like 500 euros. I love thinkpad, but is the premium worth it?

idk is it worth the extra money for a better physical feel?

Redpill me on E7450. Seems like T450s for half the money.

Glossy screens are ass

cheap materials and generally worse build quality

They have mate fhd config

P52 has hex cores and pascal gpus which are a substantial upgrade, 900 euros seems steep for something that already feels outdated, unless you need this system right now I wouldn't buy it and just wait for a better P52 deal instead if you need a high performance thinkpad, if value is important to you pick up P50/W541/T440p instead for half that price or less.

E580 1080p i5 for 400?

Just found a ThinkPad Tablet X230 4Go RAM for 170€ and with W10, I'm thinking about buying a SSD to upgrade it directly (will upgrade the RAM later) but I don't know how I should choose it, I actually don't know much about SSD and all that, can you help ?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why is everything in Europe so fucking expensive

Someone is selling me an X270 in like new condition with:
i7-7600U
16GB RAM
256GB M2 SSD
1080p IPS screen
Internal+external battery
All gimmicks included (fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, etc)
3 year warranty (ends on 2021)

Price is 500 dollars. Is it worth it?

>500$
Absolutely not.

How so? I currently have an X230 that I use as my main computer. Noticeable upgrades would be FHD resolution, iGPU and 10+ battery life.
Don't have an issue with the new keyboards as I am used to the one that came with the X230 before I installed a classic one (found tactile feel to be very similar and only found an improvement with the layout).
Again, I'm on the fence with this offer. Really don't know if I should buy it or not. The reason why it piqued my interest is because if you ordered an X270 with all of these specs directly from Lenovo a year ago the selling price would be in the 1000-1500 dollar price range and I thought that for 500 it 'could' be a good deal (at first I thought it could have an issue like a bios password or active computrace but I checked and everything is OK).

The problem is the 7th gen dual core ulv, next gen brings in quad core which is a massive upgrade even in daily tasks, you'd be buying a laptop that's barely faster than X230 for a lot of money, if you really want a new thinkpad buy something from xx80 line, the xx50-xx70 thinkpads are basically outdated now and should be ignored at this point unless price is very attractive, and here it clearly isn't.

Found a used x230 for 70.69 AUD with the following condition:
i5-3320M
4GB RAM
320GB HDD
12.5 in 1366x768 LCD
and a small crack on the palmrest and bezel case. Planning to upgrade and fix it myself if I can get it.
Is it worth it?

There's a T430 for sale, $50 good condition.
What os should I install to replace windows 10??

-Dead Bird

notebookcheck.net/Some-recent-ThinkPads-can-be-destroyed-by-changing-a-UEFI-BIOS-setting.346156.0.html

What do you think about upgrading stock T430 i5 3320M with i7 3540M? I'm using it mainly for internet and old games.

Yes if you can fix it.

I bought bare IPS screen x220, no ram, hdd or battery for $60. Had to spend 120 on battery and ssd, but it's worth it.

Sup Jow Forumsentoomen.

Got an X230 for $200AUD (~$140 USD) with an i7 3520M, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, and a 9 cell battery.

How did I do?

Attached: IMG_20181027_183007.jpg (4632x3474, 2.71M)

Up

First of all search in youtube for changing ssd in X230.

You can either change the WWAN card with an m2 SSD or the 2.5" hdd with a 2.5" SSD.

Replacing the hdd is much easier, while replacing the WWAN with the SSD requires dismantling keyboard and palmrest.

Samsung evo 850 for quality, WD Green for budget.

Hey trapgays, I found an SL400 for sale at BRL 600 in a local shop. Their specs are verbatim:
>intel core duo
>2gb memória
>windows 7 home premium
Do any of you thinkniggers know about the SL400? It has a classic keyboard btw, is it just a huehue version of the T400?

shitty trackpoint but fine machine otherwise

i fucking love the uefi on my dell latitude e7270; it's very easy to use and has so many options
do the thinkpads have delightful uefis as well?

Where'd you get it? Looking for pre-owned thinkpads in Melbourne currently but so far no luck for cheap ones.

>forgot pic related

Attached: uefi.jpg (1668x939, 356K)

Does Intel works for Quality too ?

Is ok with CPU upgrade and 8GB and SSD

However has ideapad firmware, no libreboot

It is still somewhat relialable and sturdy, will last you some years

I have a T420s and a T430s and I love em both but use the T420s more frequently

The only drawback I have with this machine is that when running - idk, slightly more intensive programs like multimedia or even a video on youtube in 720/1080, it will get a little hot and there will be more fan noise whereas the T430s doesnt really do it unless under more serious strain

Is there anything I can do - a cleaning or upgrade or whatever?

>i5-2520M @ 3.20Ghz
>8GB RAM
>250gb SSD
>xubuntu

i want to be able to take it to class or w/e and not have it roar like a jetengine :)

Clean it, repaste it with good thermal paste, and use H264ify, if you don't already.

Does those support native backlight control or they rely in a external program for that?

Normie here. Is a maxed-out T420 (16gb of ram, SSD, i7-2640M with the CPU the obvious bottleneck) usable with Windows 10?

51nb has a Windows program for remapping the brightness shortcuts in addition to a brightness cycle mode by tapping the power button. I believe someone made a wrapper for Linux that does the same thing, but I'm not sure.

With nitrocaster, brightness control works if you use mirrored display mode, otherwise it's fixed at 100% in WIndows. With Linux there's a kernel patch you can apply to fix the issue. However, there is a coreboot patch being reviewed at the moment that makes the mod "just werk" by disabling the LVDS display lines and making DP3 the first display. Brightness works as normal if you use this patch.

You could probably still use a Core 2 Duo with Windows 10, but why the fuck would you use Windows 10?

>H264ify
nice, hadnt known about this ext
yeah, i'll probably try cleaning and repasting this one day

on a side note tho - is there an upgrade to the CPU that would be a viable decent option for this latptop?

Do you have a Taobao link?
I would love get a X320 i7 (And, perhaps, do the mod and solder a quad core Ivy Bridge 35W CPU later)

Any good thinklads with 16:10 displays?

>H264ify
Yeah, it's pretty great. It ships pre-installed on Raspbian to make the Pi actually play videos from YouTube. lol

>CPU upgrade
No can do, user. The -s models have soldered in CPUs. You're gonna need to replace the whole board if you want to do this.

Sorry, but I don't. Go to the ThinkPad subreddit. There's people who own these on there who can probably give you all the info you need.

Rate my thinkpads

X61t
T520

Posting from 2014 MBP because I never use my kubuntu thinkpads :(

I'm reading that the W530 and W520 both throttle the cpu on quadcore configurations to 1.3GHz to 2GHz when on battery and the GPU is enabled. Is there a way to circumvent this at all?

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-10-25-18h48m42s628.png (370x240, 44K)

What are the top-tier Thinkpad screens? Coming from a Macbear Retina and do not want to be disappointed.

Could I get away with 1920 x 1080 IPS or is 2560 x 1440 a must for me? I know anons call me consumer, go for it.

Hmm... I don't care about SSDs, I'm patient with I/O. My gayming desktop has 8GB of ram so...
Plus, i'm torn between a triangle:
SL400: BRL600, low specs, low price but immediate thinkpad
T420: around BRL1400, aesthetics, idk specs, high price but delivery time
E6410: around BRL1200, top aesthetics, mid-high specs i believe, mid-high price and delivery time
i care about serviceability and keyboard clit but it's not top priority, that would be aesthetics, i admit i'm a fag
make my mind thinkniggers

X1C6 has wqhd hdr screen that's really nice, check out xx80 series thinkpads with high end screen options and see if something catches your eye.

The lowest end T420 will be faster than any of the other machines. It will be a great machine even for years to come. All three machines have equaly replaceable parts, but the T420 should have the highest number of cheap parts available due to its popularity. It's a high price, but IMHO it's the better buy. If you have any options to maybe buy one when travelling abroad or maybe buying it through a relative who lives abroad, it might be a better option.

Yeah I realize X1 is essentially the nicest screen Lenovo offers right now but I'm leaning T480s for sure. It's cheaper, more serviceable/upgradable, and I'm worried about the heat problems I read about the X1. The heat and lack of servicing were things I hated about owning a macbook air.

What's with the advertised battery for lenovo products? Their site claims 15.5 hours but I read users reporting 5-6 which is shame if true.

I own T480s with WQHD option and the screen is definitely very nice, quality-wise it's on par with my desktop 4k dell ultrasharp.
When it comes to battery life it's highly subjective to "normal use" as that varies greatly, for me the battery lasts around 8-10 hours on power optimized settings with web browsing, movie watching etc. T480s doesn't have power bridge system so battery life isn't great but battery life isn't that important to me, undervolting helps a bit with battery life too.

Cheers, I got the prices wrong, the fagitude is on the 1400 brl price range while the thinkweed is about 1000 brl... Just wondering, does the latitude have a t420 equivalent-ish? I want to know how much it costs

The Dell that competed with the T420 was the E6420, which was a complete aesthetic downgrade vs the 6410 IMHO. It looks more like a consumer laptop than a business machine.

And the E6410 competes with?...

T410.

are the ryzen thinkpads any good?

They're probably the best Ryzen laptops out there. They're as good as their Intel Thinkpad counterparts but at a cheaper price and with way better GPU performance.

E or A series?

A-series has better build quality overall. E-series has slightly better cooling and it's not as convoluted to have two disks on it.