I fell for the CS meme in college and I absolutely fucking hate it...

I fell for the CS meme in college and I absolutely fucking hate it. I get literally no enjoyment out of anything I do CS related, and often just find myself mindlessly jamming lines of code together or changing things just to get it to work, because I have to turn it in for a grade. This is not how I want to learn programming though and doing it in a classroom environment is fucking cancer. It takes all the fun and joy out of it. Anyone else feel/felt this way while in college or regret graduating with a CS degree? How do I get off this train? What should I switch too so I still have the option to do programming when I graduate? I was thinking of switching to stats or applied math, or really anything with more math in it.

Attached: 1538174181891.png (565x272, 341K)

Other urls found in this thread:

123test.com/career-test/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>stats or applied math
What kind of jobs would you be able to get with these?

Data science, ML, probably anything related to analysis

try to do more hobby projects. yes cs class assignments are inane

If you dont enjoy "changing" lines of code while at school, then you will suicide once you get actual job in software company. Change majors now before it will be too late.

123test.com/career-test/

Tests like this are shit

80% i do in my job is refactor other people's code, I actually like it more than writing new code

Why? No offense but that sounds boring as fuck

writing new code is like drawing on a blank piece of paper, i just don't know what to draw. refactoring is like a puzzle, i like to solve it.

What exactly do you mean by refactor? What's the job?

>What exactly do you mean by refactor?
Cross cutting functionality changes

>What's the job?
Software Engineer

This. Corporate code jobs are code maintenance or rewriting x in new language/framework y. Everything that was going to be developed has been developed. Sorry champ.

Unless they're teaching quantum compilers and applications of qubit algorithms to holographic neural interfaces, you will learn nothing that 4 years self study and an online internet degree can't get you with respect to landing that after college job refactoring the same orm code to shuffle json/xml/sql/text/etc data from system a to system b.

I have to add to this that devops is a meme as applied by the fortune 500. For them, devops is learning to do IT after IT has been outsourced. The slideware hawking evangelist will tell you all about scrum and backlog review and swimlanes and ci/cd, but in reality the people with depth end up debugging why some shitty groovy script is hung on some shitty jenkins slave on some shitty cloud server trying to nfs mount some shitty remote colo filer export over some shitty mpls link setup by some shitty outsourcing company that setup some shitty isp overlay because it was fast and cto needed the colo online to get the Q3 option vest to cover their short loss on some shitty cnbc hawked startup

come on, for a given set of requirements the architecture you need should more or less automatically pop up in your mind. it's more like solving a puzzle than refactoring, because when refactoring you gotta spend days/weeks/months reading the code first to know wtf you're working with in the first place. but then it's more or less just the same as developing from scratch

user, that's what programming is, not sure what you were expecting...
If you want actually intellectually stimulating work you should've chosen theoretical math or theoretical physics and just hope you're in the 1/10 that gets tenure instead of driving a taxi, and even then for a shitty pay.

we give new feature to new grads, its definitely easier

I wouldn't say it's easier, it's just when adding features the cost of fucking up is much lower than when laying out the foundations

Motherfucker, it sounds like you need to straight up figure out what you DO want to do instead of what you DO NOT want to do.

Marxist-Leninist?

>Data science
Gonna need to double major or get a masters in CS

>ML
>ML in the industry with anything less than at least one PhD

>probably anything related to analysis
Probably not with just a BS in math

The reason why you can get a job as a programmer with a BS is because code monkeying is easy business

My CS classes were shit. Just code and study on your own and get ahead of your classmates. When the class material arrives, you already know 80% of it so it's not difficult.

Unfortunately these posts are correct. You have 3 options OP:
1. New career
2. Masters in CS or Mathematics and data science
3. Find a hobby outside of your normal code job

More power to you if you enjoy it. What was your experience like in college? Anything like in my post or did you ever meet someone like me?
I don't know what I expected. I guess I expected to land a job doing cool shit for good money or do something productive for society or something like that. Not just mindlessly put together code and cross my fingers that it works without thinking about what I'm doing

What difference will a Master's make? Won't you just be paid more for the same shit?

unless you can leetcode you won't even be able to get a good cs job, also the bubble is starting to pop

Usually any data science position at the senior level requires a Masters (mostly due to everyone having one).

If you don't mind doing data engineering or taking lower level engineering positions then a BS would certainly suffice with engineering experience as well to back it up.

Knowing what you're doing is something that comes after like 10 years of full-time experience if you half ass it or 5 if you actually try to git gud.
But at the end of the day any kind of programming is gluing together sub-routines. There's no "doing cool shit" or "doing something productive for society", just "making this shit work so my boss is happy".
Computing is a meme, we aren't any better than 70 years go when computers were people who spent their day crunching numbers.
If you want to do something productive for society become a firefighter, a doctor, a garbage man or a commercial pilot.
Don't expect to get rich though, making money is all about making people give you money for worthless shit.

This. If you want to do something actually productive maybe be an EMT? Or firefighter or some kind of service type job. This affects people more directly than programming.

>I still have the option to do programming
If you don't like it than why bother? You're supposed to be autistic enough to like it, I can't imagine how miserable I would be if I didn't find it fun or at least tolerable.

I find it very hard to believe there are no interesting jobs in CS whatsoever
Because I'm a few classes shy of finishing CC, but I definitely don't want to continue when I transfer.

We didn't say there weren't interesting jobs. We clearly laid out the requirements to said interesting jobs. If you don't like them we also gave options.

>God damn zoomers are hard to please

What knowledge do you gain from a master's degree? I have no interest in going to grad school whatsoever, not that I'd get in anyway since my grades are fucking terrible

It's not knowledge if you actually read my post.

It's a requirement.

We didn't say it is fair or it makes sense, job markets don't make sense, it's supply and demand.

Employers care about pieces of paper unfortunately, studying in your own time helps, and hell you might even get the higher paying jobs if you can nail the tech interviews but often times you won't even get in the door without a Masters.

The thing is, most of us found basic programming at least mildly "interesting" when we were starting out. And there's a lot of basic programming out there before you get to the complex stuff. And even if you pushed through the stuff you find boring, who's to say after all these years you still do not find even the more complex stuff interesting? Whether or not it is worth it to get there to find out is for you to decide, nobody else can predict what you will or will not like

So basically you're saying there's no point in doing a CS degree unless you mind doing boring shit?
Btw I just took this testAnd the very first result is software analyst

>degree titles are job titles

found the NPC

>degrees don't matter
found the underage kid

Go into data science, or Data center. A lot of schools don't teach those well but they are a good choice if you like computers but don't like coding.