You can only post in this thread if you have a degree in CS/CE/EE/IT(lmao)

You can only post in this thread if you have a degree in CS/CE/EE/IT(lmao).

>recent graduate w/ Bachelors in Computer Science
>afraid of future since I networked fairly poorly in school
>apply to some fortune 250 company, but don't expect anything to come of it, mostly just bored
>do well in interviews, get offered a job paying 85k + benefits
>cost of living in this area is very, very low
>85k (plus benefits)

Any other CS-gods in here?
Experience, Salary, Location?

>mfw reading my benefits

Attached: corrupted males laughing.jpg (536x284, 40K)

Enjoy working 85 hours a week

Which country OP? The avg. salary for a science bachelors is like around 40k here in germany, of which you will only seee around 25-27k because of taxes, pension cuts and healthcare cuts.

It's not a shitty gaymer job, breh

CS-gods only exist in one country, and that's the USA. What other country can a fresh grad get 85k/year + benefits?

i dont have a degree in anything and im posting anyway, fukc you

Attached: aiko-3-0-base-large.jpg (350x455, 43K)

I am graduating with a degree in CE this winter. I am being offered a job from a family friend's friend's friend that will pay pretty much starting CE salary (~$65k). The guy's company consists of himself, a secretary, and front deskers. The position is not a CE position. My responsibilities would include iOS/Android development, back end development, and some IT related decisions. I would have no supervisor and would be relatively free to supervise myself. Should I take this job or find a real programming job? If I take this position what title should I give myself?

Software Developer or Software Engineer. If you can get away with it, upgrade your title to senior after two years, guaranteed 6 figures after you leave (3-5 years or so)

Well enjoy your cool job then, user! 80k+ sounds like a fun life. To be fair I wouldn't even be able to work for any larger company let alone for a fortune 250 one, my impostor syndrome just kicks in while applying for normal jobs.

Is there a difference between the two titles?

>muh salary
I hope it makes you feel you have accomplished something and the degree was worth it.

>80k+ sounds like a fun life
plus benefits

S. Engineer: i think more systems, maybe lower level, like c++, c, java
S. Developer: maybe a little high level, like python, java (works here too), js

web developers can get away with s developer, but not with s engineer. I'd personally go with S. Engineer if you don't want to move into webdev, if you do, go s developer

tfw making 88k a year after bonuses only 2 years out of college with just an IT degree in a comfy developer job

I'm saving for a house Jow Forums! Hopefully before depression gets to me.

Interesting, I'll give it some thought I guess.

t. poojeet linux user

The fuck are the benefits you keep mentioning, is this some kind of meta meme?

Brit Bong here, get a degree in computer science, spend a year searching for jobs post University.

Hiring graduate developer 25K. OH WHATS THAT user YOU HAVEN'T BEEN USING ENTITY FRAMEWORK AND MVC EXCLUSIVELY FOR YOUR ENTIRE LIFE AND EDUCATION. Sorry user you just aren't right for the job.

Or my other favorite. We are looking for someone with more experience.......

job listing requests a CS graduate...how much experience do you expect graduates to have?

u can't tell me what to do

>there are still retards who would rather make 80k a year in flyover land than 200k a year in a tech hub with actual career prospects

Good luck getting 200k right out of college, mr. unemployed

> graduating in May with 6 internships
> already have job in NYC lined up
> 135k salary
> 20k signing bonus

Feels amazing man

Usually means insurance, 401k matching, gym memberships, catered meals, etc...

I graduated a BS in IT, did part of a masters (took two classes before I realized I was so fucking done with college) before I got a job, started an internship. Almost at the 2 year mark for here, salary is 80k, with bonuses it amounts to 100k in total. They match my 401k contribution up to 6%, then contribute about 19% at the end of the year to the 401k as a bonus which is cool.

Work as a data engineer; like what I do, live next to work so no commute which is lovely, work/life balance is great, coworkers are nice, manager is good, team is small and impactful.

got a IT job without a degree

>did part of a masters (took two classes before I realized I was so fucking done with college)
This might be me. I'm in a phd program and if i stick it out i can get a free M.S. in two years minimum and then bail, but i'm so demotivated. doesn't help that my girlfriend broke up with me. so i might wait before deciding anything serious

No degree, what are you gonna do about it, faggot

Attached: pepesunglasses.png (1000x1192, 949K)

>Assoc. in DB mgmt after dicking around at a 4 year school
>Get job at nonprofit, making decent wage for the area
>Move out of state and make double
>Get poached twice
>Now make more than triple what I did in the other state, over 100k/yr

>proud of working
lol cringe rich people laugh at you

>believing being a NEET is equivalent to being rich

user is bullshitting you. senior just means you dont get babysat and sometimes get junior devs that are fresh out of college to mentor, especially if you do paired programming

Fuck programming - thankless job, Indian are the Mexicans of tech!

Get technical enough to go into sales. Pre sales or post. Make $$ invest and gtfo. Bubble Gona pop - sass investment is down. Play the game that is present. Programming jobs are not that special anymore, don’t be delusional about benefits. Bean bag chairs and free organic snacks are not Gona make you a happier more fulfilled person! See the game for what it is, adapt, get your $$ look for the best return of your time.
I work Maybe 20 hours a week, spend 90% of my time talking to people over zoom calls/ emails / slack / hangouts etc.
Work remotely so I can live in a place I actually want to, which is something - if you’re Gona code you might want to consider - after your first Sr. Developer promotion.

I make _~ 150k // year if I actually gave a fuck and went for being an over achiever and ass kisser I could Easily lead and or become a director. Make 200 maybe more with options... but at what cost?

Good luck - 00

>CS
>EE
>CE
>"""""""""""""""""""""""""IT""""""""""""""""""""""""""
one of these things is not like the others, OP
it doesn't belong

Excuses - so what she left you - move the fuck on. Women are like tissue paper 00

I'm a CE undergraduate, I'm going to start my Major courses next fall.
not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping for the best

>EE
>$75k in NorCal (north of sf)
Still not sure if this life is better than when I was living with my parents moving boxes for a living.

Attached: images.png (225x224, 7K)

as an EE grad, what do you do for your job? What does your average day look like

Sometimes includes stock options. I've had a couple jobs that offered 15% discount on company stock. Ended up with around $8,000 cash after a year (sold the stock at market value, still profited).

Hence why he put (lol) next to IT. Keep up, degreelet.

I've been working for less than month, and I honestly don't even know what I do. Sorry.

EE
$140k
15yrs
Jean and Polo every day.
STEM master race.

Yeah. My situation was I had only done low paying minimum wage jobs, was absolutely tired of college at that point. The two classes I took were interesting, but one of them I bombed like most of the class, that automatically put me on probation. At that point I was just like fuck all of this. Started applying everywhere, got a great internship which turned into a great job shortly after.

Feels great knowing I make more in half a day than I used to do working part time for 2 weeks. I'd honestly ponder on if you really want the degree or not, you're at the pivotal point where you can cut it before you're in too deep or keep going, apply for jobs on the way and potentially drop out anyway for a great job.

I'm doing my degree online, so full CS isn't available. The title is
>Computing and IT (Software)
and it does have some maths and algorithms modules, but most of it is quite applied/vocational. Java, project management, etc.

I wish I could avoid having it say "IT" since it kind of implies tech support/networking. I do have the option of changing it to
>Combined STEM
if I want; which sounds more respectable/less pajeety?

>CS
>not as bullshit as IT

kek

>EE
>Can do hardware
>Can do software
>Understand everything from the lowest level to the highest abstractions

Damn it feels good to be the best

>Got a good job, get around ~65k a year in company stock
>The economy is crashing, that is worth like maybe 40k now

Help

>networked fairly poorly in school
That's not very relevant when you're just starting out. Make sure to hang out with your colleagues and keep contacts, it's not that hard. Unless you're trying to be CEO, you don't need to network super hard, just making friends normally is enough.

But do you have a s/o? You may hate your job and end up alone and miserable.

You haven't won yet.

Attached: laterhomo.jpg (404x318, 14K)

Put in some fucking effort user, I've come second at a major Hackathon, work a part time sysadmin job, run two small IT businesses (Instagram bots, data backups) three if you count some part time web dev I do on the side and have a resume packed full of side projects I did during first year. I've just finished my second year of CompSci
Don't tell me you just went to class, went home and played video games all day?

Attached: FB_IMG_1540348598725.jpg (1080x1049, 55K)

Are IT and CS jobs as full of egotistical know-it-all types as EE?

I've met a lot of good engineers, but some of them seem to get off on this idea of how much smarter/greater than others they are, like they will actively go out of their way to point out tiny errors in designs - like a single spelling mistake - and make out how terrible it is etc.

It's quite cringe inducing.

>1 year of experience
>make ~150k

Attached: 1537650377789.gif (343x495, 1.63M)

Not even graduated and have a job at major bank in Australia doing BI analysis on 77k a year. Also cost of living is super low where I am. My degree cost me $21k because Uni here is fairly cheap compared to US i think.

take a good look around this board and have a guess

>PhD in math
>Any job I want
>300k starting

What sort of programming skill/exercise is a good litmus test to see if you're employable or just a hobbyist?

>favorite
Fuck off yank

I personally did, as did the 80ish other new grads that started in the past year.

Of course that's with stocks and what not, the salary is 120k

Work ethic. Commit to a non trivial project with a deadline, and see how long it takes for you to be unable to focus.

>23
>3 internships
>110k + 70k sign on
>west coast
Went to an ok private school. About 100k in debt but I dont think I'll have to worry

>non-trivial
What constitutes a non-trivial project?

How long have you been doing all those things?

Being a smug larping asshole? He's been doing that for years, user.

>He didn't contribute to a FOSS project while in university
>Didn't spend weekends doing dev jams
>Didn't work for the Uni IT department on the side

I graduated a 4 year EE degree with a ~75 WAM. Pretty shit if you ask me but I still got a job with a huge company. I get paid full time to read C++ textbooks

>implying anyone would want to ever associate with devtards outside of mandatory work hours

>CE
>65k starting
>be a glorified app developer
I would kill myself if after all that hardwork I ended up doing CS work. If you are in America and have decent hardware projects under your belt I would strongly urge you to look for jobs in your discipline. Fresh out of school me and 2 other classmates got hired at raytheon with $120k starting.

Third year of CS, depressed and anxious as fuck but already working, should I take a gap year and fix my mental health?

> fix
> mental health
Lol. Either start popping pills, or telling yourself "It just be like that sometimes", or build a shrine to your waifu and pray each night, whatever works. There's no fixing depression and anxiety, you can only manage the symptoms.

You will never get a hardware work unless you're top of your class. Most entry level CE jobs are extremely competitive, and they'll work you like a dog.
I took a comfy app dev job and I don't regret it. There's a lot of cool shit that goes in to making a good mobile app.

>build a shrine to your waifu and pray each night, whatever works
Dont do this user. I know for a fact Umaru-chan got a guy fired from a nice well paying job.

Attached: 1519270010657_1.webm (480x480, 3M)

Well, obviously try not to sperg out too hard. Though now that Elon started posting waifus on twitter who knows, maybe it will become fashionable with the normies.

>What other country can a fresh grad get 85k/year + benefits?
Norway

I don't know if I'll be able to, though. I am getting panic attacks like a pussy and failing my courses more and more, yet they are easier than ever.

Attached: 1532101826984.jpg (914x1200, 222K)

Your campus probably offers a therapist who can help you work something out (but don't tell her about waifus), just be aware that all their advice boils down to variations on telling yourself "it just be like that sometimes". I've seen several and they were all like that.

A gap year won't make things worse by itself, but from my experience a job is more stressful than school, so if you're taking a gap year, make sure you have enough money to only work some easy part-time job, e.g. junior website dev or junior it admin (it admin is usually easier to be part-time in). Otherwise, find the guy who sells the devil's lettuce and try that maybe. Or ask the therapist for legal pills. Try taking magnesium and vitamin D, sometimes those help, because it's easy to be deficient and if you are, you get depression symptoms.

I am junior C++ developer ATM and full-time. Salary is alright for the place I am living at, and my university doesn't provide anything (I am not in Murrica).

I just wonder how people do easily combine jobs, personal life and study. It's unbearable.

Attached: 15404877581510.jpg (530x591, 58K)

Well, personally I only worked it support weekends when I was studying and during my final year I was working 40 hours per month (so about one day per week) writing network simulation software for a professor at the university... My monthly expenses were under 500 euro including the dorm rent, but my parents were still supporting me. If you aren't in the debtmerica, you probably don't have very high expenses, can't your parents support you while you study, so you don't have to work such a stressful job? You can't combine a full-time job with school and stay sane.

The first thing to realise is that there's probably nothing wrong with you.
The way you're feeling is the way anyone in your situation would feel.
Immerse yourself in things that you enjoy. Comedy shows worked for me. Surround yourself with sympathetic people.
Avoid the ones who tell you to snap out of it. They are idiots who never felt the wound.
Remember, the received wisdom is that depression from a relationship failure or the loss of a loved one can last for up to 2 years. Or not, depending on how you handle it.
Most therapists are of the "buck-up" type; useless to the point of being counter-productive.

How many applications did you send before getting an offer, everybody?

>EE
>software
If you enjoy butchered C :^)

I hate hardware and much prefer software. I have no interest in the defense industry because I travel a lot and probably look too suspicious.

>tfw in uni but stupid so i need to work twice as much, or even more, to be as good as anyone
It's fucking unbearable. I haven't had an evening to myself in three weeks, just writing shit down about SQL and Java.
Don't even learn useful shit like C++ or Python, but you can bet your ass we're going to be learning about database normalization. Fuck this.
I've come to the point where I'd be perfectly happy just working at Geek squad. I can't take it anymore. I don't want to spend 40 years doing more of this. Oh god, no, please.

Attached: XP_logo.png (1864x1641, 769K)

Oh yeah? Well I barely finished high school and I'm too stupid to go to college.

>useful shit like C++ or Python
this had better be bait

Based and redpilled

>haven't had an evening to myself in three weeks
>better shitpost on an anonymous Cantonese rice farming forum

This is why you're having a hard time user

What are best European countries for IT jobs with good salary to tax ratio? Im guessing its maybe Germany?

Attached: pg58yakd8u31s7sb.jpg (500x392, 56K)

Norway if you can stand the depression.
I wouldn't be sticking around the EU for much longer though.

What age is too late to think about getting a Jow Forums career? I'd have to go and study for highschool diploma first but after that the skys the limit.
I'm 33 years old btw

There needs to be a nice guide book on how to do other stuff than shitpost online. I legitimately haven't figured it out.

Lol. 35 is the end of the line, you can't get a Jow Forums career outside of management if you're over 35. Even 30 is pushing it. You could go into consulting maybe (as an actual consultant, not a code monkey for hire), but you need a network and a management skill set for that.

So I'm fucked? I guess I can study it as an autistic hobby.

Why not? I kinda wanna spend my life in EU.
The rest of the western world is getting blacked at even higher rates than Europe, with the 'melting pot' and 'nation of immigrants' propaganda.

I guess if you're already in the EU you can hang around.
However I'd look into stuff like policies, standards of living, temperature and demographics before making the decision, other than just "where da money nigga".
I'd also take into consideration how, as other anons have said, that the tech sector in the EU is very weak (how many European tech companies you know of? How many American? Also new legislation coming to blue ball the already dying tech sector further into oblivion).
Maybe look into another career path, if you're planning on sticking around, otherwise you'd be better off getting a degree in a different field.

Anons who spew stuff like that haven't looked into other fields.
The general consensus is that if you're looking into a new career path at 35, you're FAIRLY fucked, every job will prefer a younger candidate for a starting position.
What I'm trying to say is, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't, just pick whatever you like and go for it.

Shit. My job is not that stressful and in spite of that fact I've signed up for 40 h / wk, usually I work up to 25-30 for same salary.
It's like I have become much more dumb. Hard to think, hard to comprehend things, tike flies blazing fast and you've accomplished nothing.

No, but bitches LOVE money. Also my confidence has shot through the roof, I actually don't give a fuck anymore. Bitch I'm rich.

make an effort to socialize. Think of it like it's a sport you have to get good at by practiceing it. Start little move to big, it will purge your autism.

OP here, about 20. My friend who got a job in Boston making 90k + benefits (higher cost of living though, I'm better off) sent 100+. Make a good general resume, then for every application, tweak some parts of it. Send them out in batches, I did 4x batches of 5. It's funny because I'm getting responses for my last batch (my 85k + benefits job was in my 3rd batch), but I don't care now, the job is legit perfect for me, good work/life, benefits, stock options, discounts, movement potential, discount, coworkers, etc. Anyways, don't panic until you've sent 70+

>I've accomplished nothing so neither has anyone else
Uhuh

Been into IT since I can remember, didn't matter much though as everybody's skill sets seemed to even out around mid year 2, did the hackathon with a friend who hadn't touched code till he started the degree and just won a Hackathon and is running a startup with some friends off of it.

so how fucked is the job market for CE? I thought it would open avenues in both CS and EE for me but now I'm worried from this thread.

I was going to do EE but then I was told that you pretty much need a Masters to get any job whatsoever

If you're in yurop It's fairly shit, other engineering type jobs out-earn CE and CS.
In murrica CE and CS out-earn everything else by disgusting amounts.
You'll be fine either way, if you like it you can do it, if you like something else, then go for it.

As for the Masters part, most starting positions won't require more than a Bachelors, however senior shit will.
I wouldn't sweat it though, you usually work on your Masters in parallel to your job, and when you graduate it furthers your career.
You will hit a glass ceiling without it though.