/spg/ - Smartphone General

iPhone Xr Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: iPhone_XR.jpg (3000x2000, 1.14M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L5VWWba0coY
gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_7-8064.php
orange.ro/magazin-online/telefoane/huawei-mate-20-pro-128gb-dual-sim-blue
altex.ro/cauta/?q=Huawei%20Mate%2020%20Pro
tedlandau.com/slantedviewpoint/index.php/archives/2014/1607
ebay.com.au/itm/163336070321
ebay.com.au/itm/163168079250
youtube.com/watch?v=cL6MzTl5b14
allphones.com.au/warranty-info
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/apple-iphone-xs-p45419/test.html
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/samsung-galaxy-s9-p42289/test.html
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/google-pixel-3-xl-p44607/test.html
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/pocophone-f1-p45587/test.html
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/xiaomi-redmi-5-plus-p42191/test.html
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/apple-iphone-7-p34231/test.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

phone with best touch latency that's not an iphone? All these phones look great on paper, but actually using them is awful once you've used a pixel or iphone.

>Want to get the ASUS ROG Phone
>Doesn't support CDMA
COME THE FUCK ON IT ISN'T 1996 ANYMORE, WHY WOULD A PHONE COST $900 AND NOT SUPPORT CDMA?

Having trouble deciding between the Z2 play and the Moto X4. In Australia, so they're both the 64/4GB variants. The X4 is $350 ($250 US) and the Z2 play is $420 ($300 US). Any thoughts as to which is the better phone / whether the Z2 play is worth the extra? Is there much performance/battery difference between 630 and 626? I don't really care much about the Moto mods, but was leaning towards the Z2 play because I prefer the design (wary of glass back phones), and apparently its camera is better than the X4's. But the X4 has some nice stuff like IP68 and Bluetoothing to multiple devices.

I might get resolution cucked with XR + AppleCare. I don't want to but Galaxy and Pixel are lacking in QC. Making it really hard to convince myself it's worth losing iMessage for a possible buggy mess. Waiting on OnePlus event before I decide.

Is the ZenFone 5Z any good? The only things I don't like about it are the notch and ZenUI since I'm coming from stock Android.

Bought an XR yesterday. It’s great honestly.

because the phone was made for a civilized society. You're right about that, it's not 1996 any more, so why SHOULD a phone support CDMA?

I love my Pocophone

>$800 for 720p

Have some self respect

>lags worse than phones 1/3 its price
>great
lmao

Attached: 1512848134842.webm (640x360, 2.65M)

ohnononono

Galaxy s9+ or Mate 20 pro ?

It's funny because the 845 is running at twice the resolution and is still faster.

>Scamcuck Ass 9 or M8 20 Poo
Hmmmmm

If you have that much money why not just get the Pixel 3

Because it's shit?

>iPhone Xr
How bad is that screen really?

Attached: 1525778371863.png (772x479, 154K)

>muh pixels

honestly doesn't look bad in person but I wish they wouldn't lie about it so blatantly. On the fence after seeing it in store. You notice when looking at web pages and photos for sure though.

What are some good, cheap phones? Below 150$, preferably.

see

$100 generic Chinese phones have better and higher res (1080p) screens.

Is there no similar option to the LG V20? The phone packs a lot of features and no notch, isn't there any similar alternative?

Attached: IMG_2005.png (200x200, 13K)

Is that a Xiaomi or wtf?

Okay, in sunlight out there. How is it?

I have a Samsung A5 from 2017. Says 400ppi for sure. Will keep it until it works properly that's up to 2020 I suppose.

I went to a concert last night and tried to record a small snippet of video, but my oneplus 3 can't record loud audio at all. What the fuck? This phone was made in 2016, this is completely unacceptable.

I searched online and apparently that was something people have known since it came out, I just somehow never found that out until now.

What could I replace it with that actually has a functioning microphone?

not sure I only saw it in store. I'm sure it's way worse in real life and day to day. Like I said photos and web pages were noticeable low res. It was much better than I thought for GUI elements though, almost unnoticeable. Problem is people don't know better and youtubers and apple workers know how to capitalize on that. Saw a bunch of twitter-verified tech shills are "confirming" that 1080p works on YouTube and they're all buying it. This probably going to be the hardest phone to find an honest review for in history. Best check it out yourself if you can. Wouldn't buy online without trying.

its pocomeme

>photos and web pages were noticeable low res
Tell Applel to make the next one of this size with a better screen and for a less price and maybe than I'll buy it, until then 350usd Samsung's and Xiaomi's are better per value.

Can someone recommend me a phone with
>3.5 jack
>Type-C charging
>1080p screen
>No Notch
For $300-$400

Does it overheat? It costs 400usd here with VAT included.
youtube.com/watch?v=L5VWWba0coY

Also a good battery life would be great

> better screen and for a less price and maybe than I'll buy it, until then 350usd Samsung's and Xiaomi's are better per value.
leaning towards switching to android because of that but I'm not sold on Samsung. Pretty close to iPhone price but with too many bad stories about lag and lasting quality. Thinking OnePlus since it's cheap and well supported by XDA devs. I'll wait until Apple gets their shit together in that price range. or I have enough money for the iPhone XXS Ultra MAX or whatever the fuck they come out with in 2 years

Use gsmarena's phone finder, user, you can configure everything

pocophone or oneplus 5

Quoting the user from the last thread about the Mi 8

Sounds good, how fast can I expect the price drop? The more I read about it the more I want to buy it right away. Currently have an iPhone 6S and while I love iOS I need my jailbreaks to be happy and these re kinda dying. That and Apple's pricing went full on bonkers.

Buying an older device like I used to is also not much of an option these days as I don't feel the iPhone 7 or 8 are worthy upgrades over an 6S.

Mate 20 pro

All phones are shit my A5 needs a ton of bloat deactivated manually to work. Also most Samshit needs a complete factory reset every 6 months or so. My main concern was mostly the water resistance for that price tbqh.

That's expensive af, all who buy phones for more than 400usd are imbeciles even if cash millionaires.

getting 800$ off the retail price

So like an iPhone 7 is a better idea. Ayy lmao.
gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_7-8064.php

Next time buddy, next time.
orange.ro/magazin-online/telefoane/huawei-mate-20-pro-128gb-dual-sim-blue
altex.ro/cauta/?q=Huawei%20Mate%2020%20Pro

>recording concerts

>720p in 2018
Pathetic

thoughts on the BQ Aquaris X2?

>muh apple ecosystem

Get a cheap Moto or Xiaomi. Don't expect it to work like new for more than 2 years though it is 150 after al

Why the absolute fuck are you trying to record concerts at all?
>muh insta stories
Fuck off normie

>This phone was made in 2016
iPhone videos of concerts in 2016 sounded like shit to. What do you want? I'm pretty sure concert phone videos still suck no matter what you have

>usa, t-mo
decent smol phone for handlet?

>Tested on one phone

I'd say the Moto Z2 Play. You're getting a nice AMOLED display and even if you don't care much about the Mods, the battery MotoMods are a nice way to increase the battery capacity if you find 3000mah isn't enough.

What's your carrier?

XZ1/XZ2 Compact, iPhone SE

>buy new phone
>It doesnt have headphone jack
>try watch youtube
>bluetooth audio is delayed

Attached: 28512681_748046115402480_1966756662_n.jpg (900x900, 47K)

>All these phones look great on paper, but actually using them is awful once you've used a pixel or iphone.
How did you determine this? Software solutions for calibrating exist.
>AppleCare
Definitely buy it if you enjoy Apple geniuses wiping their asses with your receipt.
tedlandau.com/slantedviewpoint/index.php/archives/2014/1607
>I don't want to but Galaxy and Pixel are lacking in QC
What are you smoking?
>Making it really hard to convince myself it's worth losing iMessage for a possible buggy mess
Yep, you're 11.
>Pretty close to iPhone price but with too many bad stories about lag and lasting quality
I'm sure iPhones last long with battery throttling "features" in software updates.
>Thinking OnePlus since it's cheap
It hasn't been that since the days of 3T.
>Sounds good, how fast can I expect the price drop?
I think as soon as the Mi Mix 3 becomes available to resellers.

do double tap to wake apps work

Just use USB C and charge wirelessly.

I'm in Australia but I can't find the Z2 or X4 anywhere. Are you considering buying from the store or ordering online

My S8 is busted (screen slightly damaged, still works fine) and I'm tempted to spend $200 to pay out of my contract and buy my first Pixel phone.

Someone tell me I'm a sucker and talk some sense in to me.

Keep seething Android cucks

Redmi note 5

You should be thankful you're even allowed to be an apple product owner at a bargain price.

>Keep seething Android cucks
While quoting a post which shows a video of a $300 Android phone being faster than an iPhone X three times the price.

>How did you determine this?
uh, by using it? How are you supposed to "calibrate" beyond the hardware limitations of a cheap as shit digitizer.

not many choices down here

>uh, by using it?
Sure, and? Where's your demonstration and where are all the videos on this apparent issue?
>hardware limitations of a cheap as shit digitizer.
These aren't the days of TFT resistive touchscreens.

I don't see anything wrong with the XR besides being over priced, otherwise I would have got it for my mum to upgrade.

yes sir pocophone opens apps .2 seconds faster high five ranjeet

So in the next 1-2 weeks I'm guessing. Any chance the 128gb Mi 8 can be had for 400€ then?

>i paid three times more for a phone that's slower
>this makes me smarter
Also, thank you for the new word for my filter list.

>Any chance the 128gb Mi 8 can be had for 400€ then?
Very likely. But I would wait until the end of the year.

Mobileciti and Allphones have them. I think they have a physical storefront, but I was just going to order from their online store. Both phones are 20% off at Allphone's eBay store at the moment.
ebay.com.au/itm/163336070321
ebay.com.au/itm/163168079250

Nice sounds good! It's itching me to upgrade but it would be a dumb thing to do now anyways as my current contract is still running. I have to ask when my earliest cancellation is possible.

>mostly google apps open faster on a google developed OS

Wow, what a twist.

>iPhone is still more expensive

Yep. It is. Can’t argue with facts.

apple iphone xs / google pixel 3
camera in the night comparison
source:
youtube.com/watch?v=cL6MzTl5b14

Attached: msMspn4.jpg (2560x1440, 215K)

Literally night and day

Are they genuine on eBay
I mean like do they come with a sealed box
Sorry for this naive question but I haven't ever ordered used eBay here before

But which one more accurately resembles reality?

am I the only one who leave my phone completely naked? Been using them without any screen protector or casing for years

It wasn't obvious from the promotional pictures but the XR sure has thick bezels.

Are Samsung Galaxy A6s and A9(s) China exclusives? Both seem like perfect successors to the S5 and won't be locked down like their Exynos midrangers due to Snapdragon SoCs.

Yeah, that eBay store is run by Allphones, who've been around for ages. I've ordered from them before and they're legit. New/sealed with manufacturer warranty. I've done an RMA through LG for a phone I bought from them without any hassle.
allphones.com.au/warranty-info
But there are a lot of dodgy sellers on eBay who sell "new" phones that come with 90 day warranties. Just stick to reputable eBay stores like the Good Guys, Officeworks, Mobileciti, etc.

Samsung for sure. I'm not paying flagship price for chink shit otherwise I would have gotten Google, Apple or Samsung.

>Are Samsung Galaxy A6s and A9(s) China exclusives?
Yes

Make sure to get the smaller one since it has no notch, better construction and less QC problems than its bigger brother.

I'm pissed that the XS didn't come in 6.1inch. The OLED screen and dual cameras are glorious so is the build quality but now everyone else's phone is bigger than mine

Attached: hiding_under_hood.jpg (400x346, 14K)

lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/apple-iphone-xs-p45419/test.html
"To complete this good work, the screen of the iPhone Xs offers excellent responsiveness. We measured its tactile delay at 40 ms and its persistence is zero."
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/samsung-galaxy-s9-p42289/test.html
"The only disappointment is the tactile delay of 74 ms. A good score in absolute terms, but a few tens of milliseconds of the iPhone X."
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/google-pixel-3-xl-p44607/test.html
"We measured a 50ms touch delay and zero remanence."
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/pocophone-f1-p45587/test.html
"As for the tactile delay and the remanence, the two values are sufficiently low (respectively 112 ms and 15 ms) to ensure a good fluidity.
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/xiaomi-redmi-5-plus-p42191/test.html
"Nothing to report either to use: the tactile delay and persistence, measured respectively at 83 and 13 ms, are low enough to ensure good fluidity in use and display."
lesnumeriques.com/telephone-portable/apple-iphone-7-p34231/test.html
"The only real drop is in the reactivity of the slab, with a touch delay that goes from 29 ms on the 6s to 41 ms on this iPhone 7."

Used google translate.

Attached: 1489517944406.jpg (436x429, 60K)

>Both seem like perfect successors to the S5 and won't be locked down like their Exynos midrangers due to Snapdragon SoCs.

Are you sure? If Samsung recent history is to go by, it's the Exynos version that has an unlockable bootloader.

you're right smartphones are only good for ricing and then posting screenshots on /wg/ of your homescreen (which nobody cares about)

Any recommendations for a calendar and gallery app for Android?

Preferably open source with sensible permissions.

So, I had a OnePlus One but it got stolen so I've been using my friends old iPhone 5 for the past year. But I'm getting sick of it and want to get a new phone, unfortunately I haven't really been following phone tech for years.

I'm on O2 and not too sure what I want but
-android preferred
>headphone jack required
>good audio would be a plus, I listen to a shit ton of music
>plenty of storage too
>I don't care too much for stuff like facial recognition and fingerprint unlocking etc. I don't mind it, but it's not something I need
>good battery life
>will last me a few years

Not sure about my budget. I could afford a high end (like £1000+) phone but I'd rather not spend that much unless it's absolutely worth it

I have an S9 you fucking dingus but I still think it's ridiculous how you fucking pajeets obsess over irrelevant shit like apps opening slightly faster. Watch the comparison between Xs and Pixel 3, Pixel gets absolutely fucking destroyed.
A lot comes down to how Xiaomi puts a high priority on quick animations while launching an app. Also: Most of these apps that were tested were Google services which are obviously optimized for Android. Who in their right mind would choose Chrome over Safari if they're on iOS? App Store being a tad slower could be due to Apple's servers.
There's so many variables to those results that it's simply stupid to talk over mundane shit like this. In raw performance Apple's SoCs will probably keep destroying Snapdragons and Exynoses for years to come despite having half the RAM some Android phones have.
For example: Try comparing how Hearthstone runs on Android and iOS, it's a night and day difference. You kids need to grow the fuck up start basing your opinion on the overall user experience iOS offers. Personally, those devices are way too expensive for my taste but I sometimes envy some friends who use iPhones.

>Meizu 16th
>FINALLY a borderless phone WITH a 3.5mm jack
Tell me why I shouldn't buy this one. Only thing it lacks is a µSD port, which is a huge drawback still

Attached: Meizu-16th-Plus-6-5-Inch-8GB-128GB-Smartphone-Black-705527-[1].jpg (1000x1000, 132K)

>borderless
>top and bottom bezel

what did he mean by this

Still better than that shit notch meme. Who the fuck can stand this.

Attached: https___blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com_uploads_story_thumbnail_61128_e46262f0-d663-4331-b (950x534, 265K)

non-autistic people can

One French smartphone review website which is only available in French is hardly widespread news about an issue. And again, this isn't an issue, because there are software solutions for improving responsiveness all over the Play Store.
Well, it's only the US carriers which permanently bootloader lock Snapdragon Samsung devices. Either way, if these don't make it out of China, it doesn't matter much.
Simple Gallery (F-Droid).

>Listen via USB C
>Charge wirelessly
It's an okay compromise.

Attached: 20181027_082317.jpg (2343x3755, 3.23M)