I use Windows

>I use Windows

Attached: 1539609992550.png (490x586, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolithic_kernel
gnu.org/software/guix/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Applel better

Attached: npcos.png (1177x1024, 42K)

They're both for NPCs, but Windows more so.

>I just installed Ubuntu

Attached: 1539639652752.png (636x773, 8K)

>but Windows more so
Nah, not really. Windows is used by people that work with computers, MacOS is used by people who care about their computers as a status symbol, eg: consumer drones and NPCs

>Windows is used by people that work with computers
No, it is used by people who are too stupid to install their own OS. At best it is used by office drones who put numbers in boxes. It's just for NPCs because it comes on the machines they buy.

what the fuck do you even do in linux not kidding I have zero idea what does linux have that windows doesn't that is worth the switch.

Linux is a kernel.

Linux is also an operating system as defined by POSIX

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1540626069384.jpg (416x435, 10K)

No, it is a kernel. Nothing more. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, however.

>Linux is a monolithic kernel and therefore not comparable to small kernels like NT
Fixed

GAHNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
SLASH
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONIX

Attached: 14989199551310.jpg (200x161, 5K)

I wasn't comparing it to any kernel, I merely said it was a kernel. Looks like you blew your load a little early.

Listen jackass, when someone refers to Linux as an operating system they mean one of the many distros that utilize the Linux kernel.

Also unless you want to make us of C programming I'd ignore Linux.

>I use linux because I'm good with computers

Attached: 1536610771256.gif (478x318, 121K)

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>they mean one of the many distros that utilize the Linux kernel.
Like Android?
>Also unless you want to make us of C programming I'd ignore Linux.
I don't know what you're trying to say. Care to clarify?

Linux is a kernel.

>that poor user who's original question is ignored
>all this discussion about kernel and operating systems
lel.

dumb idiot shouldn't come to Jow Forums for tech support

>dumb idiot shouldn't come to Jow Forums for tech support
>what do you do in loonix that in windows you don't that would make it worth the switchero
You are the reason why the year of linux never ever.

Is it okay to say Linux Distro?

It's almost like nobody who uses the GNU operating system actually cares about something as trivial as market share.

who cares
year of the *bsd desktop when :^)

If you're referring to something like Android or Alpline, yes.

I use the OS most suitable for the specific task at hand, mostly windows and linux

Attached: e.png (600x315, 103K)

What if you want it to include those plus gnu/linux

Lmao seething freetard. Windows users mastered the art of reinstall Windows for obvious reason. Install loonix is really easy now but no body give a shit about loonix.
Buying laptop with loonix then pirate Windows is a popular way to save money among poorfags.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HE USES WINDOWS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
t. Jow Forums

Firstly, you should place more value in your freedom. Secondly, Linux is a kernel, not an operating system. Thirdly, Windows is not good for any task.
You should refer to GNU/Linux distros as GNU/Linux distros.
I can smell the curry through my monitor.

>I merely said it was a kernel
Since other kernels aren't monolithic, it should be mentioned. Leaving it out is a clear implication that you want to group it up to other "just kernels". It's nothing like them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolithic_kernel
Here is a Wikipedia article showing what a monolithic kernel is. Can you look at the picture and point out where the line for "operating system" is drawn? You might also read the first paragraph of the article.

Don't put your curry so close in your monitor next time then Gnoojeet

Attached: 331123_3123430164158_1216718494_3378390_419375206_o1.jpg (2048x1536, 305K)

>Since other kernels aren't monolithic, it should be mentioned
Not necessarily. The statement that Linux is a kernel is still 100% truthful.
>Leaving it out is a clear implication that you want to group it up to other "just kernels". It's nothing like them.
No, it is a statement that it is a kernel. Nothing more. You are trying to read into it to much. My statement is truthful.
Nice meme, ranjeet.

>.Secondly, Linux is a kernel, not an operating system. Thirdly, Windows is not good for any task.
>You should refer to GNU/Linux distros as GNU/Linux distros.

Sorry but noone gives a flying fuck about your autistic wordplay. You'll call it that in your little circlejerk, but for the world it'll always remain Linux.

can we post epic npc memes instead of fighting :DDDDD????

>I need Windows for my video games

Attached: 10b61Z5.png (430x441, 86K)

Nice try trying to avoid mentioning the Wikipedia article since you got nothing to counter it.

>but for the world it'll always remain Linux.
Yes, to NPCs it will be Linux. But it is actually GNU/Linux.
It's a Wikipedia article about monolithic kernels. Why do you think this is some kind of trump card? Because you just found out what a monolithic kernel is? We all already know what we are discussing, I shouldn't have to spell things out for you. The /sqt/ exists for a reason. Now run along, boy, there are more pressing matters at hand.

>I use linux to run proprietary software
>I make youtube ad revenue from linux videos but use windows 10 when I'm not recording
>I arrogantly compare pirated $1,000 software on windows to free software on linux
>I like the aesthetic of terminals but have a touchscreen monitor

Anyone that is using something other than templeOS is an npc and an MITnigger

>It's a Wikipedia article about monolithic kernels. Why do you think this is some kind of trump card?
You would know the answer to this question if you opened the link and read what was asked.
>A monolithic kernel is an operating system architecture where the entire operating system is working in kernel space. The monolithic model differs from other operating system architectures (such as the microkernel architecture)[1][2] in that it alone defines a high-level virtual interface over computer hardware. A set of primitives or system calls implement all operating system services such as process management, concurrency, and memory management. Device drivers can be added to the kernel as modules.
Linux is an operating system while still being a kernel. A monolithic kernel. Saying "Linux is a kernel" is a useless statement.

Attached: OS-structure2.png (1499x383, 59K)

>Yes, to NPCs it will be Linux. But it is actually GNU/Linux.
Yes my little snowflake, keep telling yourself that the world is revolving around you. You're the Player.

Not him, but I do value my freedom, and that's why I don't restrict my software choices by the arbitrary rules some power hungry jew made up.

>You would know the answer to this question if you opened the link and read what was asked.
I'm already well aware of what it is. Obviously you have only just figured it out and now think you hold the keys to the kingdom. But this has been common knowledge since time immemorial.
>Linux is an operating system while still being a kernel
Yes, such as Android. But not in the case of GNU/Linux.
>Saying "Linux is a kernel" is a useless statement.
Your posts in this thread have been useless, but you still did it.
How is the rule that you should only use software that gives you total freedom arbitrary?

>rules some power hungry jew made up.

Attached: naniii.png (218x210, 33K)

He could be referring to Christianity.

>thinking he can only say "um, no" and that wins the argument
If you want to convince people (which you obviously do since you feel the need to mention that Linux is a kernel when no one asked) you should have some arguments to back it up. At least I gave sources to my claims.

You haven't said anything of note, and posting a Wikipedia article does not help that. I'm not sure what you are actually trying to do, but you sound lost and afraid.

>A bunch of losers using the most popular meme to argue about who is more able to think for themselves

get the fuck out of here with that shit lol

>You haven't said anything of note
This is false. I was educating you by saying that Linux is an operating system while being a kernel. I gave a Wikipedia article link to show sources to this and even repeated them when you didn't understand. You made a claim too but didn't give any sources to it, nor did you write any by hand. Baseless claims are redirected to trash.
>Yes, such as Android. But not in the case of GNU/Linux.
What does GNU remove from Linux to stop it being an operating system as defined by the linked Wikipedia article?

>How is the rule that you should only use software that gives you total freedom arbitrary?
If I ignore Stallman, I can use, copy, modify and redistribute "free software", and I can also use, copy, modify and redistribute "proprietary software".
On the other hand, if you abide by his rules, you can only use, copy, modify and redistribute "free software", but you cannot touch proprietary software.
You can do about 50% of what I can do. In what sense are you more free than me? Only in the sense that you are abiding by Stallman's new-speak made up definition of "freedom".

The Tribe sure loves to make up their own definitions to get dumb retards to join their cults.

>Thirdly, Windows is not good for any task.
t. unemployed NEET living in a basement

>I was educating you by saying that Linux is an operating system while being a kernel
You weren't educating anyone. You are merely stating this we all knew and never denied. I cited Android before you had ever even posted.
>You made a claim too but didn't give any sources to it
I don't see why I would have to. What I have said is common knowledge and needs no explaining, really. It is very simple. Sorry if it was too difficult for you. You should ask for clarification next time, rather than throwing a tantrum like you are now. No one will be willing to help you understand these concepts if you treat them this poorly.
>What does GNU remove from Linux to stop it being an operating system as defined by the linked Wikipedia article?
You can easily find a list of GNU utilities online. This really is rudimentary knowledge.
>I can also use, copy, modify and redistribute "proprietary software".
With reverse engineering, I suppose.
>but you cannot touch proprietary software.
A suggestion is not an order.
>In what sense are you more free than me?
Because the software is free. You are free to be enslaved, yes, but we are talking about free software here.
What makes you say that?

t. Employed Microsoft shill

>Windows is not good for any task

Imagine being this pretentious. If your job is to write random gibberish in a text file, that's your problem. Windows is good for a lot of things, many scientific and engineering tools are only available on Windows.
If Windows wasn't good, you wouldn't have your house. :^)

>agreeing to a contract is being enslaved
Found the NEET

You can sell yourself into slavery, which requires a contract.
My house was built in the 19th century.
>many scientific and engineering tools are only available on Windows.
Such as?

>what makes you say that
An insistence that an OS is useless despite massive industry utility just shows you have absolutely no idea how the real world works
t. Unemployed basement dweller

>massive industry utility
Such as?

Firstly. I am FREE to use whatever I want.
Secondly. Kill you'resleve

3D modeling and engineering, building design, electronics design, physical/mathematical analysis, any number of data management that doesnt run on special snowflake kernels, etc

Yes, you are free to be enslaved. But if your software does not guarantee the four freedoms it is not free software.

These are just fields and are not specific to any OS or kernel.

So you are unable to back up any claims, just spout this idiotic "I know this, you know this, everyone knows this" and hope that no one questions you.
>You can easily find a list of GNU utilities online.
Yes, those utilities really make the operating system finally usable. This doesn't alter the fact that in theoretical level Linux is the operating system here. There's a line that separates what's an operating system and what isn't. Installing a browser so you can browse the internet doesn't mean that the browser is part of the operating system either, nor is a spreadsheet program. It just makes your computing usable. Of course you can't use plain Linux for anything but that's still the part that's called the operating system. Check the picture again. See how there's also another level called "system" there? That's what we're using when we have Linux as a base. It's a Linux-based system then. Linux is the operating system part of that system. Correcting people who say the word "Linux" is pointless arguing and should be stopped.

You asked for examples of industry utilities

>So you are unable to back up any claims
I already have. You don't have to post external links to back up a claim.
>nonsense yammering
Yawn. Okay, kid. Unless you have something poignant to say I'd like to wrap this up. I know you're excited that you learned something today, but this is really dull for someone who already knows what they're talking about.
No, I asked for examples of Windows utility within industries.

>Such as?
CYPECAD, SAP2000, SOLIDWORKS, Autodesk software (AutoCAD and especially Revit for BIM projects), CREO, Mathcad...

Those are just the names of software, not specific tools.

>You can sell yourself into slavery, which requires a contract.
Nope, any such contract is invalid and won't be upheld in a court of law

Less than 20% of people need a computer for their job, less than half of those need windows exclusively and even less than that need it in their homes as their OS.
You're out of touch with reality if you think otherwise.

Depends on the country and time period.

"free to be enslaved"

I don't feel enslaved by my OS because I use the appropriate one for the application.

Sorry about your life confined to guhnew/Loonicks box.

> But if your software does not guarantee the four freedoms it is not free software.
Yes, and?

>Yawn. Okay, kid.
Still not an argument. You have total of 0 arguments provided. It's starting to sound like you can't even read full posts without losing focus after the first sentence. This is not something you should be proud of. It makes you bad in arguments.
>You don't have to post external links to back up a claim.
How would do define backing up a claim? Can you point out precisely where you backed one up?

Acessible Visual programming tools for automation of building design only available on Windows.

>when the loonix user realize that they using a meme KERNEL OS and start seething that windows is better in everything while loonix is just better for servers and autistics wallpapers threads

>If you use windows you don't care about freedom
True
>If you use linux (gnu/linux, gnu+linux, linux distro) you care about freedom
Probably not true

Windows is popular because it's one of the first OSes with a GUI, there's a ton of stuff in it, it tries to please everyone, one-size-fits-all, so it makes sense that it's the most popular OS. It makes sense that if you don't have any special requirements the OS must fulfill you'll choose windows because it's everywhere. Not necessarily good.

It's pretty lame to equate the gnu/linux distros with freedom when the most popular ones don't have freedom as a priority. Usually they include nonfree software by default, or have it in their repositories.

Generally being pragmatic is good in the long run, but people have ideals. Stallman does not use anything that restricts users' freedoms, but he had to give up so many conveniences to be able to do that. That's not easy, and probably very few people are "truly free". Nonfree hardware, nonfree software, it's all around us.

I like linux because of the versatility, I can do pretty much anything I like in linux. PowerDesigner is only available for windows, and I need to use this software so I have windows installed as well.

It's not a matter of what linux do, but what linux don't.
Things such as getting targeted by hackers, spying on you, rebooting on system updates, slowly abandoning native binaries for horrid unoptimized "UWPs", having a fixed ugly theme...

Are you fucking kidding me? These ARE specific tools. Or you're telling me that a fucking structural analysis software for reinforced concrete and steel isn't a specific tool for engineers?

Linux is a kernel.

Linux is the kernel, the OS and the spirit.

get a life

Attached: 8e02768e89446cb3205a4621522fe709.jpg (640x640, 90K)

That's called Stockholm syndrome.
>Still not an argument
That wasn't an argument, no. I was simply dismissing you. I think you're a little too hooked onto Jow Forums memes if you think everything is an argument.
>You have total of 0 arguments provided
Define argument.
>It makes you bad in arguments.
I'm not trying to argue with you, kid. You are just boring. You haven't said anything worth discussing. You're just here to fling shit. Hence why you want an argument rather than a discussion. But all you are doing is bringing things up that have been discussed to death. Sure, they're new to you, but you need to understand that some of us have been here a lot longer than you and have far more experience and expertise in the field. So calm down, and try to have a discussion with someone who can teach you a thing or two.
>How would do define backing up a claim?
To back up a claim is simply to expand on it. You make a claim, then expand on the claim, that is how a discussion works.
>Can you point out precisely where you backed one up?
I could, but you could just as easily scroll up.
GNU/Linux has programming tools for the automation of architectural design.
Software suites are not tools. Tools are found within them.
So you know, you are using a lot of words to say nothing.

>Software suites are not tools. Tools are found within them.

>Operational systems are not tools. Tools are found within them.

OP I want you to think long and hard who is the real NPC:

Windows
>GUI to interact with a PC because it matches better with human vision and concepts of shapes and objects

Linux
>CLI which can be fully interacted with automatically by shell scripting

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

If you add some GNU to your Linux you can have a fully functioning GUI with all the pretty shapes and colours you want.
I guess this is true, I have no experience with operational systems.

>If you add some GNU to your Linux you can have a fully functioning GUI with all the pretty shapes and colours you want.
But that's just mimicing windows. Like an NPC in a game mimicing humans.

>But that's just mimicing windows.
Microsoft didn't invent GUIs.

Just because you didn't invent something doesn't mean you can't be mimicked. Like the Apple iPhone.

>kid kid kid kid
I hope you don't actually think you're good at this.
>You haven't said anything worth discussing
This is the most ironic part of all this.
>You make a claim, then expand on the claim
You have failed to do even this while it's part of your own definition. This is the second-most ironic part. You also systematically avoid countering any claims that are actually being backed up. This of course is because you can't do it. Very simple. If I were you I would be embarrassed by now. Then again I'm not used to making baseless claims and hoping people won't notice. You might be fully used to it by now.

>So you know, you are using a lot of words to say nothing.

Fair enough, that's a lot of words, but I don't agree with you on the "nothing" part. I'll simplify.

Windows is like Coca-Cola, everybody knows about it, and if they don't know much or don't care much they'll use that because it's probably going to be alright.

Linux is like looking at the menu and actually looking for somethint which isn't Cola. You might order that. Or, if you require something truly specific even go off the menu.

First is easier, second is more difficult. First is alright for many, second is for the finest sommeliers.

Linux is just a kernel.

Then why every website that distributes linux software call it linux?

Well, it isn't really mimicking at all. You can mimic certain aspects of GUIs is possible but not necessary. There are a lot of NeXTSTEP clones, that has nothing to do with Windows.
What claims would I have to counter? You just copied some text from an article on Wikipedia. You need to understand that what you are saying is not revolutionary, though it may seem that way to you.

gnu.org/software/guix/

Repeated errors.

If you say linux, people understand what you mean, this is how words are created.
Sadly sometimes brands are turned into words, like nintendo being synonymous with gaming consoles in the 80's.

>Stockholm syndrome
No it's called "having different priorities" you retard.

The difference is that i have no problems with your priorities beong different to mine.

Its ok. This attitude will come when youre older.

>If you say linux, people understand what you mean
I don't care.
>like nintendo being synonymous with gaming consoles in the 80's.
I think that was just in America.

That's what you would say.