Why don't more people buy linux

>why don't more people buy linux

Attached: index.jpg (220x229, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RNeKYjWx-s4
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>buy

Attached: 1527109827999.png (275x266, 87K)

what of it everyone has to buy their operating system

Linux is just a kernel.

youtube.com/watch?v=RNeKYjWx-s4

Jow Forumsnumales btfo

Who is op even referencing?

>Linux is free
>no one on here buys windows. We all pirate
>only Mac fags spend $500-$1000 for their OS, but who here unironically uses a Mac?

The GNU/Linux Operating system known colloquially as Linux is, in most cases, gratis. This means that you don't have to "buy" anything. You can download and install most distributions of it for absolutely zero cost.

Actually macOS is free (as in free of charge, partly as in freedom).

Anyway, I got my MBP from my previous employer, so personally I didn't pay shit.

You can also download the source and compile from source for free (in both senses of the word).

Google scum BTFO
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

>he doesn't think people pirate macOS

>Actually macOS is free (as in free of charge, partly as in freedom).
No it's not. You buy a Mac for $1500, you get $800 in hardware. So where did the $700 go? It was the OS you were paying for.

No one uses MacOS as their operating system for non-mac machines. And mac machines have the $500 cost included.

I like how he uses android as example that there's linux without gnu, but refuses to call android just linux, kek

>No one uses MacOS as their operating system for non-mac machines
False.

>No one uses MacOS as their operating system for non-mac machines.
some people do but you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it running compared to Windows or Linux so only a few people actually do

>So where did the $700 go?
You pay for the brand. By the same logic, where does the money go when you buy a Ferrari? You're only paying a 1/3rd of the cost for the parts.

>It was the OS you were paying for.
Explain to me why I can download any version of OSX and macOS for free (while in the past I had to pay).

>No one uses MacOS as their operating system for non-mac machines
Hackintoshes used to be massively popular.

The iToddler shill force has arrived.

>You buy a Mac for $1500, you get $800 in hardware. So where did the $700 go? It was the OS you were paying for.
what kind of 5 year old logic is this
they are a company and they do have to make profit

I didn't realise Windows was THAT expensive

Attached: Untitled.png (1128x724, 172K)

Literally how is any of those posts shilling?

I haven't been on Jow Forums in a few years and I've noticed a drastic decrease in quality posts
His post is an example of that

>I haven't been on Jow Forums in a few years and I've noticed a drastic decrease in quality posts
I've been here since 2007. My own theory is that quality isn't actually decreasing, you and me are just getting more mature (so less prone to shitposting) and knowledgable on different topics, so the quality appears to decrease.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.