I should be allowed to see the source code of all software products

>I should be allowed to see the source code of all software products

this is what Right to Repair tards are asking for hardware.

Attached: louis2.jpg (1271x760, 70K)

nice false flagging, now go suck some e-celeb's dick

Which isn't wrong, I should be allowed to see the source code of all software.

yes

Attached: 4freedoms.png (700x438, 163K)

Attached: 1540518139.png (295x285, 17K)

You should be able to able to repair your own device safely and lawfully, but to do the first is increasingly becoming difficult without breaking the second. Apple's leveraging of trademark law to ban all parts not sourced directly from them, including if it made the part itself, is quite anti-competitive.

DIDNT APPLEL KILL THE SCREEN REPAIR MARKET SOMEHOW

LIKE THEY NEED TO REFLASH SOME CHIP ON THE NEW SCREEN OR THE NEXT IOS UPDATE BRICKS THE PHONE

More like I should be able to repair the stuff I bought.

>"buy" software
>somehow don't actually own it: e.g. not allowed to fix it or add features to it.

Why is this allowed?

>based black box hardware is sooooo prettyyyy~~~

Attached: 9678d2d195a0032c3e539a0ec221d4b6efc7128a5275c9b358ce872085960d14.jpg (1269x952, 136K)

You can, just figure it out for yourself idiot.

And? did you have a point or are you here just to show off your cock sucking skills?

Apple shill patrol workin' hard on this blunder kek

Attached: kldvo9or2l3z.jpg (1080x1080, 100K)

No they're not
It used to be you buy something, you get a schematic or a service manual or at the very least those documents would be available,
Right to repair is just asking for manufactures to make those documents available you know like they use to do.
Right to repair also wants stopped the anti-consumer tactics for repair parts. the car industry MOSTLY has this right with a few exceptions, I can go get parts that are not in any way made by the OEM of the car or they can be refurbished and they will work without headache. The exceptions being dealer only parts and tools which only come around when messing with safety equipment

>I should be allowed to see the source code of all software products

Back in the 70s the disks would contain the actual source code when you bought software.

This is the future I hope we get to eventually.

Lol, how retarded are you?

There is no hardware in an apple product which is a trade secret. With the sole exception of Apple's A-series processors, they're all standard components found in literally every other device of a similar kind.

Louis isn't asking for the schematic of Apple's A-series chips, he's asking that Apple stop;

1. Stealing his property.
2. Implementing software and hardware bricking when a component is replaced.

Attached: 1540531387186.jpg (480x611, 38K)

Not really.
You can reverse engineer hardware relatively easy (as long as you're not going to reverse engineer chips). Engineer, and reverse engineer uses absolutely same tools, and 'language', unlike in software, where original programmer uses some high-level garbage like C++, and reverse engineer uses machine code and assembly.
What Right to Repair tards want is to have access to all parts and schematics. It will not hurt anyone (besides chink), since you can already get used parts from china, as well as you can get schematics, just by using couple of datasheets, common sense, and multimeter. Even complete retard like Louis Rossmann can do it.
Sure, not every retard is good with circuitry, a lot of people just don't understand how it works, and call every failure a 'short'.

It is really like a car. You don't need complete source code (alloy, precise dimensions, manufacturing process) in order to replace brake pars, but you definitely want service manual in order to get correct torque.

>DRM cracking will be legal if the purpose is to repair your own products
What a wonderful wooooooooorld!

Attached: 22510880.jpg (1280x720, 251K)

3. From hiding schematics
4. Not selling parts to third party, i.e. individuals, or uncertified stores. If they afraid of counterfit - they can make different marking for every fucking chip, that was replaced by third party, thus it will void their not needed warranty

if there is one things American's have always cared about its property rights, this is why corporations are so successful in America.
However, rights of the citizens have always meant to be protected, the moment you purchase a product it becomes your property, and with that, any thing you would like to do to it is valid no matter what the corporation that sold it to you said
the argument with cars and farm equipment is too strong for even Apple to overcome, and with a Republican leaning SC, you can count on them not favoring Apple, and favoring property rights that allow for freedom of it's citizens, and industry at large

>someone figures it out
>posts it to build community of people who know how to fix such items
>SHUT IT DOWN
>wanting corps in your ass
you are a giant faggot, no wonder you like getting reamed

Except that you can't, because if you distribute your modified version you can be sued

Actually this. There should be a law that forbids this.

>he thinks hes buying the software
you are buying the license to use it under the terms of use

You should be able to distribute, as long as u delet it.

>What Right to Repair tards want is to have access to all parts and schematics. It will not hurt anyone (besides chink), since you can already get used parts from china, as well as you can get schematics, just by using couple of datasheets, common sense, and multimeter. Even complete retard like Louis Rossmann can do it.
Pretty much this.
People are always going to find a way to repair something but it has turned into an underground affair of questionable suppliers, legally grey service documents/software, and bad actors.
Making parts and documents available is just better for everyone even the original manufacturer

because you're buying a license to use that software, not the software itself
software is not a finite resource, it can be reproduced almost infinitely, which is why it is different from real, scarce, tangible goods.
if you want people to sell software instead of licenses, support companies that include source code with your purchase, and that allow for reproduction of such code.
in essence, support open source software at the very least, better to support free software and instead give back to the developers who are creating it.

Just add a clause to it that monetary gains from altered work requires you to pay royalties to the original publisher. And that you can't give it away for free.

There is literally no good reason why programs shouldn't include an optional copy of the source code, it gives the customer freedom to do what they want with it and it doesn't cost the publisher any extra.
You could argue that it makes the program easier to crack and redistribute but that's going to happen anyways. It's well known that the only way to really counter piracy is to provide a better service than the pirates, just look at the success of steam, even though the steam DRM as it has been through all these years is stupidly easy to crack, and there has been day 1 cracks for many years.

Attached: 1530909366242.jpg (596x597, 53K)

Btw, if they afraid that their property will be stolen, they can still sell PCBs covered with epoxy or similar goop to make reverse engineering difficult.
And they should provide tools in order to get data I think.

desu all they need is the right to import parts to repair. they already have it.

Maybe with cars there is more of an argument but even that can be solved by just buying older cars

Straightforward repairs should be legal, regardless of whether the shit's proprietary or not. With hardware, the details of the intellectual property can be decoupled from the things the user needs to see to make the repairs. Much of the IP in those devices is held in PCBs and custom-made chips for which no public datasheet is available. With that stuff, you just sell the parts and say how to replace them, without explaining what they do or how they do it.

With software, the only way to make a repair is to expose the code. The code can't be decoupled from the intellectual property, because the code IS the intellectual property

On the other hand, making your products intentionally gimp themselves over time, giving the consumer less than what they paid for so that they buy more of your shit, has nothing to do with hardware or software. It can be done with both, and the unethical nature of it persists in both.

Fuck you little bitch. Fucking runkkari

It's so funny to me how faggot op defends this as if Apple has a secret sauce they have to protect.
We all know Apple hardware is off the shelf parts too.

We already have laws against stealing designs and trade secrets. Providing service documents and parts is not going to change that. Besides in this day and age its pretty useless to reverse engineer something to make and sell as often it's just easier to make a new device. Iran for example reverse engineered a Lamborghini Murcielago and its nothing more than a showcase piece as more effort was put into reverse engineering that outdated Lambo and making it than just making a more modern super car

Wait a sec. If these 4 freedoms only cover 'programs' doesn't it follow that the files programs consume are not covered by the 4 freedoms?

Example: VLC is covered by the 4 freedoms. The multimedia file you consume with the program VLC is not covered.

Do the 4 freedoms not allow for proprietary formats along side exclusively non-proprietary programs?

CANT BOSS THE ROSS

Where is the 4th one?

So I should have the freedom to run a program that takes away your freedoms?

But corporations are also citizens, rich citizens

>3. From hiding schematics
Nope, the repair community make their own schematics. Yeah Louis would like it if Apple just provided them, but it's not a priority of his
>4. Not selling parts to third party, i.e. individuals, or uncertified stores. If they afraid of counterfit - they can make different marking for every fucking chip, that was replaced by third party, thus it will void their not needed warranty
Counterfeit WHAT exactly? Apple use off-the-shelf components, so what the fuck is a repair shop going to counterfeit? You think Louis is going to start manufacturing Intel CPUs or something?

Apple also manufacture in China, so schematics for their devices are already in the possession of the largest counterfeiting nation ever to exist.

Give an example of how that would work

Distributing a program that compiles itself.

That is legitimately true though. Patents protect code from being used without licensing, so there's no reason all software shouldn't be open source. Even Microsoft is starting to move in that direction.

> gibs me dat

Full communist scum like the chinks.

Asking for right to get replacement parts and fixable products is different. You brainlet

It's funny how rightwingers will go to extreme measures to protect the rights of companies, but will shit all over personal freedom if it doesn't fit their agenda.

Like seriously, when did they start hating private property so bad?

Software doesn't degrade with time/use.

If you had rapid-onset bit rot, where your code fell apart if not maintained/repaired, then it'd be comparable.

Applel can just add a clause to the manual that by buying the hardware you actually just lease it. That's how it works in software. If hidden manual clause is not enough just make the retards sign a paper every time they buy iShit.

>doesn't realize that a corporation is an individual
god damn, I hate you pinko faggots so much.

Attached: 1530778627014.jpg (1125x1396, 265K)

You have the freedom to do that, but it violates my freedom so I will not obtain your software.

[citation needed]

electronics also came with diagrams and spare part numers/codes, also hotline for ordering a;ll the shit u needed, I have several old school transistor and tube amps from that era and they all have that

Attached: murica.gif (1088x1385, 99K)

>defending collectivism
no it is you who is the pinko

Attached: interjection.png (816x1056, 75K)

That's correct. For example, for a game, it would cover the game engine, but not the assets.
However, you'd be able to take the engine and supply your own assets.

>i shouldn't be able to fix my car myself
>only [insert manufacturer] should be able to fix my car for whatever the fuck amount of money they decide to charge for it

You are either a cuck or a shill

AFAIK only Tesla really does this and I don't get how it's legal.

>sourcecode access being at all similar to hardware specs and wiring diagrams being available, or at least not DMCA'd if reverse engineered for the purposes of repair
>sourcecode access being at all similar to the right to just buying parts to replace damaged components rather than replacing the whole device at significant cost
>sourcecode access being at all similar to the right of litterally buying a replacement battery for a laptop that apple has arbitrarily decided is vintage and therefore will refuse to sell to anyone for any price, and when they can't control it they mark it as counterfeit and get the government to seize private property (which were original apple batteries taken from otherwise written off units a private owner had sold) to flex its power
imagine being this much of a bootlicker

Attached: 1509151685675.jpg (803x711, 66K)

>muh collectivism is bad
yeah that's why the military just sends a bunch of recruits straight into the field to fend for themselves rather than operating as a cohesive unit. Individualism is a form of instant gratification that seldom pays off.

Literal communism ITT.

i own everything i've paid money for

period

the collective should be the slave of the individual and the individual should be the slave of the collective
it is very clear no one structured society to the benefit of humanity and it just kinda happened

I'm not asking for that but if you don't provide the schematics and shit you should either repair your defective shit for free or allow me to repair it myself.

Attached: 1513187642632.jpg (504x577, 96K)

>buy Disneyland
>can't even fuck Mulan in the ass

wtf the security took me away

Attached: Screenshot_9.jpg (957x721, 121K)

>implying the idea of intellectual property is valid in the first place

Attached: lel.png (372x351, 117K)