Why I use windows

Here is the reason I use windows.

I'm a physicist in academia. Unfortunately, as you know, most of the work in academia isn't doing research, but writing papers, grant proposals, etc.

The most important thing in most academic writing are the figures. I use MATLAB to create almost all the figures, I can do them quite well. However, for more complex figures, that involves many plots and some schematic shapes, MATLAB isn't good enough. So I have to use a vector editor.

The only editor I found reasonable in adobe illustrator. I tried gimp but its just too unintuitive. I can do with illustrator in 5 minutes what could take me an hour to do on any other program. Since illustrator is not native to Linux, I must use windows (It doesn't work well with wine).

If there was any other viable alternative I would switch to Linux immediately. In fact, I have some pcs with Linux installed to work on some projects that are only native to Linux (QIIME for example).

This is only one reason why advocating for using only GNU/Linux and related GNU programs is unrealistic at the moment.

Attached: just_werks.png (225x225, 1K)

Matlab can be replaced with octave.

Linux has a bunch of text editors. Learning emacs is provably best for you.

Octave is lacking in many aspects, and python takes a lot more effort then MATLAB for most basic things.
I use LaTeX for the writing with TeXMaker.

What I meant is a graphical vector editor.
Illustrator is extremely easy to use, more then any other program I've tried.
That is why I must use windows at the present.

One more thing: There are some journals who only accept .doc files as submission. MS word is much more reliable for working on and submitting papers the Libre-Office. So I also must use that in some cases. Another reason why I cant switch to linux.

I use Windows because it works for what I need it to do. Simple as that, no additional shit, no wasting time on the OS itself, just a empty platform that I can run my programs on. LTSC that is.
It's a God damn fucking OS, you use the path of least resistance.

Inkscape might be worth trying
I don't work with vector stuff though so I can't tell you how well it works

>Unfortunately, as you know, most of the work in academia isn't doing research, but writing papers, grant proposals, etc.
so you're basically a scammer?

learn to read

There is no reason to use linux unless it is a "facebook machine", you are developer of specific software/it is a server.

"No wasting my time on the OS itself"? Lel

What?
Most people when they read an article the first thing they look at are the figures. So it is in my interest for the figure to be as impressive as possible.
There is no scam here.

I tired it and couldn't find anything I need. I saved time and just kept using illustrator.

inkscape is the best, idk what ur talking about

use any OS you want mate. don't fall for the meme

B....but you must use Linux! It's the best platform to run tux racer on!

Also be sure to use a thinkpad. The real IBM ones not the lenovo ones. They're the best! Everything else is garbage!

I use a dell laptop with windows 10 and a desktop with windows 7.

Matlab and mathematica have linux clients..
>Whatis gnuplot,inkscape,latex

You monster.

it just werks

That's not what lord stallmansama says.

Attached: IMG_5884.jpg (2272x1704, 1.28M)

When your only job involves developing and advocating GNU, its easy to say that you should only use GNU,

>He thinks Inkscape is a serious competitor to Adobe products

Attached: 6eDHSKg.jpg (512x576, 206K)

agreed i know the same feel
it sucks bro just deal with it for now
keep on fighting the good fight :^)

I don't see any time in the next decade that I will not use windows

So you are a brainlet that can't learn superior software? Got it.

BTW I'm not just talking from a freetard perspective, I use win 7 and inkscape for my vector work and it is an excellent program.

Brainlet or not, why waste my time?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHa

You Sir are a tremendous faggot. You have studied physics, the science that tries to understand nature at it's most basic levels yet you fail to apply the same logic to a fucking computer.

i keep a hammer in my tool box, it helps me get the job done quick. i make sure to tell everybody i can at every opportunity about my hammer in my tool box. some people use a mallet.

SEMEN!

Some brainlets pay others to use hammers and mallets for them.OP's post speaks volumes about the current state of the science community.

>He doesn't use tikz for his plots
Absolutely embarrassing.

>There are some journals who only accept .doc files
Are you serious?
You don't use TeX for everything?

>So it is in my interest for the figure to be as impressive as possible.
So use tikz then, it is about as good looking as it gets.

>There are some journals who only accept .doc files as submission.

pandoc -s paper.tex -o paper.docx

nobody cares. this is not your blog

Have you tried Krita as an illustrator alternative?

Use macOS. Runs Illustrator better than Windows.

you're not the only one who uses windows, it's a really good operating system that just works unironically 8)

>There are some journals who only accept .doc files as submission
In physics? Really? Not TeX? There are actual physics phds who write papers using MS equation editor? hahahaha

Visual editors are where you find the functionality gaps in FOSS unfortunately. Still no lossless MP3 trimmer for example while Windows has MP3 Direct Cut. Editing vectors in PDF files is something you can only really do in Illustrator.

How do i unsubscribe from your vlog?

>I'm a physicist in academia. Unfortunately, as you know, most of the work in academia isn't doing research, but writing papers, grant proposals, etc.
actual physicist here. kill yourself.
>The most important thing in most academic writing are the figures. I use MATLAB to create almost all the figures, I can do them quite well. However, for more complex figures, that involves many plots and some schematic shapes, MATLAB isn't good enough. So I have to use a vector editor.
disgusting. just learn to use gnuplot.
>The only editor I found reasonable in adobe illustrator. I tried gimp but its just too unintuitive. I can do with illustrator in 5 minutes what could take me an hour to do on any other program. Since illustrator is not native to Linux, I must use windows (It doesn't work well with wine).
you fucking retard. just use one of gnuplot's *ps/*tex outputs, and modify it. if you really need a vector editor use inkscape.
>If there was any other viable alternative I would switch to Linux immediately. In fact, I have some pcs with Linux installed to work on some projects that are only native to Linux (QIIME for example).
>This is only one reason why advocating for using only GNU/Linux and related GNU programs is unrealistic at the moment.
remove yourself from the gene pool. a retard like you must be an experimental physicist.

No one gives a shit, why not ask in a linux thread instead of la di daaing with your own thread like it's toms hardware crossed with facebook 'kin heck man.
Quantum measure the virtual distance to the nearest linux thread and ask or gloat in there.

Attached: IMG_5473.jpg (335x440, 9K)

Some of my PhD mates wrote their thesis in MS Word, so that's a thing. Rare, but still a thing.

But serious journals that don't have a Latex template? That's news to me. MATLAB is also on its way out. Most of the time, a Numpy+Scipy+Matplotlib combination is easier, as well as more flexible of a solution.

True
Fellow researcher here. Most papers require microsoft office.
Even one of the most famous tech paper like IEEE require MS Word and Mathtype.
You just cant use linux effectively if you are doing science.
There are Ubuntu and Xubutu machines available in our Lab, but they are for specific Deep Learning and IoTs development.
Linux wast a lot of time that can be invest in doing experiments

>explaining base dwelling neets why you're using Windows
it's like explaining fat people why you're working out or tracking calories

people who work out and track calories are fat people in thin peoples bodies

>I'm a physicist in academia. Unfortunately, as you know, most of the work in academia isn't doing research, but writing papers, grant proposals, etc.
lol real academics don't have time for Jow Forums. every real academic uses a...doesn't matter. it's about the man not a machine. most people use outdated shitboxes that the school bought for them.

I was never fat in my life and yet track my calories..