Is there any practical advantage to linux?

>Is there any practical advantage to linux?

I started using linux in my early teens because I planned on going to college for CS and was given the impression it is useful for serious dev work but I'm closing in on my masters and I've never seen the necessity to use it.

I understand that there are certain areas (servers) where linux is the only reasonable choice but is that it?

If they both work equally as well then I would understand using linux because it is my preference but a lot of the times that's not the case.

I've never had to worry about software availability when it comes to osx/windows but I do with linux? Is there any practical reason to use linux besides edge cases?

>inb4 sorry we can't make you not retarded enough to be able to use it correctly

Attached: 1539638300034.jpg (4000x6000, 3.02M)

Linux works great for web browsing, office stuff, and software development. By software you probably mean games. In that case, grow the fuck up, manchild.

Attached: 1537357994239.png (1280x1447, 2.52M)

> By software you probably mean games. In that case, grow the fuck up, manchild.
I don't.

>Linux works great for web browsing, office stuff, and software development.

So does every other os.

>>Linux works great for web browsing, office stuff, and software development.
>So does every other os.
It's kind of hard to do basic word processing on an OS that forcibly updates and reboots, closing all their unsaved work, and then deletes the user's files. MacOS works alright but has shit security and extremely limited hardware support.

So that's why Linux is the only sane choice for a desktop OS when you just wanna do some goddamn spreadsheets and not be bothered.

Attached: 215695.png (852x1486, 541K)

Simple answer: No

...or you know, just use LTSB/LTSC. If you're going GNU/Linux, you can easily manage using those with less hassle and no worries about forced updates or deleted user files.

>It's kind of hard to do basic word processing on an OS that forcibly updates and reboots, closing all their unsaved work, and then deletes the user's files.

So if this never happens to me (it hasn't) is there no advantage to linux?

> MacOS works alright but has shit security

Actual bullshit.

>So that's why Linux is the only sane choice for a desktop OS when you just wanna do some goddamn spreadsheets and not be bothered.

Good to know linux is the best way to get spreadsheets done uninterrupted.

LTSB/C also had the updates pulled as well.

Windows is just garbage. We could also go into all the little nasty bits of win32, the security problems, the driver problems, the file systems, the shells, the spyware, and all that other stuff but there's no point in me wasting my time, since you seem to have made up your mind. If you wanna run shitware then run shitware. It's not my problem. I'll continue to be comfy as fuck on Linux with cool features like XFS and YaST.

Windows 10 in qemu, run all your software on Linux and play games in Windows at the same time.

>Is there any practical reason to use linux
no
you're dumb for ever using it in the first place

The answer is no.

But the reason is not Linux fault.

>We could also go into all the little nasty bits of win32, the security problems, the driver problems, the file systems, the shells, the spyware
none of that shit actually matters when you want to get something done
you just want to admire your operating system
you treat your computer as a toy instead of a tool

> I've never had to worry about software availability when it comes to osx/windows but I do with linux
Then why on earth would you use Linux?
If you're a gaymer or a designer, move back to wangblows or osx.

>none of that shit actually matters when you want to get something done
Lol, what a cope.
>you just want to admire your operating system
I want an OS that works well.
>you treat your computer as a toy instead of a tool
Ironic coming from someone who runs an OS purely as a launcher for gayemz.

Attached: 1421250340062.png (402x398, 126K)

Linux is free and Windows costs money. Everything I would want to do with windows can be done with Linux

ecept install a nvidia driver without blackscreen on restart and finding your self 3 weeks in some thread about PPA on your 50th install of linux

>use noVideo card
>get no video
K

Attached: 0519_0Ow2bPv.png (636x657, 47K)

yes, of course. the C toolchain (cmake yada yada) is incredibly painful on anything but linux; this includes OS X.

There's a reason many GUI programs nowadays have READMEs that look like this:

Linux: *good, detailed, tested install instructions*
OS X: *one guy did this once and it works*
Windows: end yourself

I don't even play games, if you want to do any work whatsoever you have to use a commercial OS
people use linux because fucking around with the command line makes them feel smart

Windows is only good if you want to program games but in other area it is very lacking.Nowdays windows is shit and you need to babysit it more than arch linux so if you want proper windows, you need LTSB.(it is illegal to own it if you don't have msdn account)

Macbook is good but their hardware is lacking these days so that is why linux is the best option.
You get privacy, security, customizable and low resource OS who don't bother you at all.If you use openSuse leap or buntu LTS it will never break.

If you want linux to use, after doing research, you should know to never use noVideo card.

I prefer Windows, but Microsoft's takeover by pajeets now has me driven into embracing Linux.
I am slowly working on making Linux my home and unfucking its godawful UX on the GUI side.

>the driver problems
At least you can just install a driver by using a single file on the running system, instead of needing kernel patches.

>shells
Powershell is more advanced than anything on the Linux side. It was made by people who wanted to go beyond and they achieved it quite well.
It's not perfect, but it is a massive step up in terms of modernization.

>So if this never happens to me (it hasn't) is there no advantage to linux?

Because world revolves around you?

>So does every other os.
Yah, but Linux is superior to windows for this.

>By software you probably mean games. In that case, grow the fuck up, manchild.
There's a lot of software for professionals that is incompatible with Linux. I need ABB:s RobotStudio to do my job, and it just doesn't work reliably with Wine. I unironically hope that ABB will jump on the cloud bandwagon. Because then, they might release a browser version. I'd switch to Debian in a heartbeat if this happened.

Attached: ABB-RobotStudio-5-New-software-version-optimizes-robot-setups.jpg (1920x1038, 1.21M)

I love how Synology's surveillance station runs on their own Linux server, but the client needs to be either Windows or use Wine.
And then QNAP's system doesn't even work on Wine.

Only problem is that you are not legally allowed to buy and use these as a private costumer. Meanwhile Linux is free as in free beer as well as in freedom.

>instead of needing kernel patches
Linux has loadable modules. Stop talking out of your ass.

>Powershell is more advanced than anything on the Linux side
Is that why literally nobody uses it despite it being available on Linux and other *nix platforms? An object oriented shell is dumb and you should feel bad.

Professionals use the tools that their employers give them. Never ever have I seen a serious business allow their employees to bring their own devices. It's such a massive security risk. I work for a US government agency and they provide everyone with laptops and workstations and employees aren't allowed to bring their own laptops or tablets to work. In a couple of the buildings for specific departments they won't even let you bring a phone past the front desk because anything those cameras pass in front of is automatically compromised.

>if you want to do any work whatsoever you have to use a commercial OS
I agree. CentOS, RHEL, Fedora, and openSUSE are all excellent choices.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 5.58.28 AM.png (417x203, 21K)

>Is that why literally nobody uses it despite it being available on Linux and other *nix platforms?
Because it uses a fundamentally different exchange format for data.

>An object oriented shell is dumb and you should feel bad.
The issue is not objects, but the binary format. It could easily be adapted into using csv or xml instead, which would unfuck a lot of sed orgies.

30% of games are rated R or 15+.. playing games makes you a man-child... retard detected!

does watching series or movies makes you a man child?

Idiot... did you vote for Trump?

>30% of baby bottles are rated 15+ months
>*chugs formual*
>"no u grow up waaaaaa!!!"

>does watching series or movies makes you a man child?
Yes. TV is all trash and if you watch it you most likely have the intellectual and emotional capacities of a four year old.

>did you vote for Trump?
Point proven.

Our office is divided into three groups: Administration, Automation development, and Peripheral software development.
The last group is allowed to choose between Debian or Windows since they mostly program in Java anyway. Using Debian is convenient for them because we also deploy peripheral systems on PC:s with that OS installed.
The first two groups are pretty much locked to Windows since we use MS Office (I'm pretty sure LibreOffice or Google Docs would be enough), RobotStudio, SPCS (accounting), and a plethora of software needed for PLC programming and simulation.

But you are absolutely right in that we are provided workstations and laptops. We are not allowed to bring any of these outside the office, except for on-site installations or upgrades. We don't carry any really sensitive information on our servers, but PLC-programs can contain fragments of recipes for alloys and chemicals.

The way things are in 2018 you might as well use whatever makes you feel comfy.
I learned linux i liked linux. I got comfy on linux. I will recommend it but using it or not comes down to your personal prefrences.
I will however say my opinion on the big three OSes: 1. Windows 10 is confusing, and does not allow me to install the drivers i want on some devices. ETC.
2. OSX is big and slow.
3. The linux ecosystem of applications(including the kernel) has grown more and more broken(GTK3,systemd,the linux kernel when it breaks my shit sometimes). Wayland is a giant meme it seems and the 2038 bug will take place before ubports finally makes a proper unity8 release.

>not calling it GNU/Linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: rms_interjection.jpg (1600x900, 450K)

But then the NEXT time you install linux you will have checked that box. Linux is a game itself when it comes to install and maintenance.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>1. Windows 10 is confusing, and does not allow me to install the drivers i want on some devices. ETC.
As someone who's currently trying to get a Surface 3 to work with Linux, I'm pretty okay with Windows' approach.

>triple monitor setup

>I've never had to worry about software availability when it comes to osx
Software support for MacOS is abysmal and you aren't fooling anyone into thinking otherwise.

Wha? I've had nvidia gpu's in every computer I've owned in the last 10 years, and I've never had problems with drivers. What's the basis for this statement? I'm not even a nvidia shill, I've never owned an AMD card so I cannot fairly criticize them. I simply purchase whatever gives the best performance per dollar when sales are going on.