/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1538831549787.png (620x434, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/60.2.0/
savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=9240
repology.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1st for clang is overtaking gcc and there is nothing you can do to stop it
Whats wrong gcc? Cant handle he competition?

There's no "overtaking". It's a healthy competition. Clang may be end up more widespread, but that's for licensing reasons, not quality.

I think the biggest turn off if I was learning Linux would be all of this emphasis on distros.

Install Debian and CentOS minimal on VMs and instead of spending time ricing then out learn bash and all of the tools installed by default. I believe neither enables the network card by default so that’s an important one to figure out. From there you can install some packages I use every day like Vim, tree, htop, etc. Then learn to compile software using Cmake, make, etc.

Also basic admin shit, useradd usermod chmod are things you actually use a lot if you’re in an environment tearing down and rebuilding machines constantly. SSH obviously is important and takes 20 mins to figure out.

Then get into writing scripts using bash and learning regex with grep then sed then awk.

Then learn about systemd.

Might I please ask for counsel upon what would be the best distro to use for someone who really, really liked Mandriva Linux?
What I liked : it came with everything working out the box in terms of media codecs and such like (I believe it even offered you the ability to purchase a license to play mp3 files), and the desktop environment was by the far the most pleasingly designed of any distro I've ever used. It used KDE, and had a really awaesome desktop background that changed once every 30 mins or so to reflect the time of day.
Anyhoo, what's the reckoning on a good replacement please? Noob friendly with a stunning desktop UI either natively or easily installed. Thank you.

Attached: 180px-Tumblrraid.png (180x399, 70K)

Devuan with SysV or OpenRC?
Or should i just stay on Debian?

just purged my twitter to refocus, what's some good gnu/linux news twitters?

1.Faster binaries
2.Smaller binaries
3.Better debug messages
4,No shitty plugins that are kernel dependent.
>Chromium defaults to clang
>Mozilla defaults to clang
>Apple defaults to clang
>Google defaults to clang
>Nvidia defaults to clang
>AMD defaults to clang
Yes, it is only popular because of the license and not the astounding performance gains. Once Linus gets rid of those shitty gcc plugins Linux will be built with clang

Mastadon?

Attached: 1495312724343.png (1622x970, 359K)

1st for braindead GNU haters, corporate cocsuckers and suckmore retards can hit the fucking road.

A reasonable and great future.

Attached: 1540099340626.jpg (601x500, 29K)

Not an argument

Both work just fine.
openRC supports parallel startup to speed up the booting process however it might not be fully supported on non-gentoo.

>openRC supports parallel startup
I dont know how to even use that so it probably doesn't matter

literally setting a variable in its config file to 1. Try it once.

Which runit compatible distro would you guys recommend? I'm looking to get back into Linux but want to avoid systemd cancer.

How the fuck do you get a python script to load with systemd service files? I just want it to start on system boot and kill it when told tooand when the system ends.

Linux

guess you have to create a systemd service and for the command to run you specify the python script directly or using "python /path/to/scrip"

I have that. It says it cannot find it.
~/.config/systemd/user
LITERALLY WHERE IT WANTS IT
Doesnt do shit

Try it will a proper full path, not with ~.

It is the absolute path in the script.
ExecStart=/usr/bin/python /home/user/.bin/script.py

What do people here use to read comics?
I have Viewnior, I like it but what kills it for me is that the arrow keys do not scroll smoothly.

Manjaro

Attached: 1533301016035.png (820x440, 95K)

mcomix

alright gucci gang
installed devuan but no super key
its set as multi-key and i dunno how to change
pls halp

Attached: 42802192.jpg (320x320, 15K)

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

>gucci gang
are you 12?

What web browser are you using?

worked
now i can use my shortcuts
thank you very much

Attached: tofubo.gif (302x500, 914K)

Did we forget about this meme already?

Attached: 1540737765103.png (1366x768, 97K)

Don't care virgin

Is there an image tagging program that dosent duplicate your images? I've tried hydrus but having a duplicate file the same size as your collection makes little sense.

What's the current best method to encrypt DNS traffic? dnscrypt-proxy or something else? I haven't done this for a while and barely remember what I did last time but I did use dnscrypt-proxy but it was really clunky.
I'm on Ubuntu.
Also does this completely hide the URLs of the websites you're visiting from your ISP/the glowniggers.?

Why isn't the Disks application in Mintbuntu integrated with the file managers (Thunar, Caja, etc)? I'm talking about being able to see disk properties like the device location (/dev/sda), UUID, partition type, and most of all the ability to power off the drive. Unmounting a drive, especially an external, does not power it off.

>inb4 just fork it and do it yourself

unbound+dnssec+dnscrypt-proxy.
Archwiki has detailed instructions for various dns servers options

From what I remember, DNSSEC is the standard used by dnscrypt-proxy so that makes sense, but how does unbound fit into this?

It depends on what server you use, some dnscrypt-proxies dont have dnssec enabled, most do but its not mutually exclusive.
>unbound
Local caching dns server that enables dnssec if its enabled on the server,dnscrypt-proxy alone does not enable dnssec, you need a resolving dns server to enable it

The only popular runit distro i know of would be void linux.

Fucking incel. Cyka

what's the best virtualization software you'd recommend?
virtualbox is a nigger in the ass in dual boot because of secure boot
what's the best alternative (i want my VMs to be able to communicate with each others)

Turn off secure boot

problem is it's a GNU/Linux - winshit dual boot so that's gonna be a no

I have a chromebook and I'm planning on installing Mint on it. How do I go about uninstalling Chrome os and replacing it with MInt? I've looked and haven't found a solution.

Look up Gallium OS

Mageia is the new Mandriva. From my personal experience I think you will prefer OpenSuse though.

What does `journalctl -e` say after you try to launch it?

Anyone using Icecat here?

It seems slower than Firefox ESR, and it has preinstalled extensions you can't remove (normally).

You dont need secure boot for anything, specially not linux.

qemu and possibly some qemu front-end. virt-manager is bloated as fuck but gets things done.

you can disable the integrated addons.
>seems slower than FF esr
that's true sadly. Literally one guy working on it, regardless of its being a priority FSF project.

I haven't noticed any difference in speed between icecat and normal ff. How could it be slower when all they are doing is changing some permissions/tracking shit and enabling/disabling some addons?
Granted I have most of the addons disabled. I don't think it matters if they're fully removed or not, speed should only be effected by whether they are disabled or not.

Which version of icecat are you using?

IIRC it has some webgl/canvas related shit (which can accelerate things btw) disabled because they can be used to track the user.

I use this:
alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/60.2.0/

I guess that could make sense then since I always had webgl disabled on normal ff too.

Always sad to hear things like that.
52, because it showed as the lastest. But now I see and am curious why is wasn't in the options.

60 is considered alpha, that's why it is not in the main mirrors.
savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=9240

>52
That's what I was wondering because icecat quantum is fairly new and might not be adopted by some distros yet.
As you probably know (despite all the hate ff quantum gets over the plugin engine) quantum represented a totally new engine for ff and has _huge_ performance increases with increased parallelism.

So if you're comparing pre-quantum icecat to post quantum ff then yeah, that'll definitely explain the speed differences.

this

Are you able to rice Gallium OS? What about Steam games?

Thanks! 60 runs A LOT better!

what about winshit?
i know that it is not a big deal with Linux, but winshit doesn't work the way GNU/Linux does
what about xen?
is there no way to make virtualbox work with secure boot? it's fucking annoying, i'm used to it

Would UDF be a good choice for an OS agnostic FS that can hold >4GB files?

Can you set a default directory for scrot to save to, other than with a bash script?

Xen is a type 1 hypervisor that uses qemu. Why would you want secure boot in a VM?

how to list moutable drives and devices for example phone or windows partitions in terminal?

I use Xubuntu and installed i3wm.
I like it but I notice that after a while I seem to get disconnected from the router and I have to click the applet to connect again.
This never happened before so I think it might be related to the change, does anyone know what it could be?

KVM with linux bridges. And fuck secure boot, there's no reason to complicate things with that, your home server isn't a kiosk or laptop.

Not as broadly supported as NTFS or exFAT, but it would work for Vista and later. NTFS is really the best. UDF and exFAT can't support asynchronous writes safely, or at least UDF can't outside of BSD.

you misunderstood, i have a dual boot PC (winshit and GNU/Linux) with secure boot and can't use virtualbox (on GNU/L) because it has to install drivers to the kernel, which changes its signature.
problem is i don't want to disable SB because of the winshit OS

I can't do netinstalls, what are the most bleeding edge distros available to me, is void netinst?

virtualization without VT-X/AMD-V will be subpar anyway, just disable secure boot

There's something severely fucktarded going on with how you're handling the Linux side, but just disable secure boot and you won't have to think about it.

pls respond

Gallium OS is just Xubuntu for chromebooks

So... yes? Sorry I am a complete brainlet when it comes to Linux, but I'm making an effort to learn.

aren't chromebooks arm-based? steam is x86-only

I have the Samsung Chromebook 3 which has an intel processor. So no, I don't think so.

Simplest way to create a single color image of any size?

Installing arch linux and trying to set up grub:
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/efi
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/dev/sda2 --bootloader-id=GRUB
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

After rebooting, I get kicked straight to GRUB shell, no error messages, no boot menu. Where did I fuck up?

>>>/sqt/
fuck off

oops, --efi-directory was set to /mnt/efi not /dev/sda2, so that wasn't the problem I don't think

Not a simple question.

lsblk

fdisk -l

i have just tried that and it lists only partitions on my one and only HDD which it does correctly nonetheless
however it wont prompt me with my phone being connected although thunar can properly detect it and browse files on my phone

Third time returning to linux.

Going to dualboot it with windows 7 for application compatibility on an old HP Touchsmart 600 AIO.

Originally circa 2001-2003 I started on Suse. 2009-2013 I ran Ubuntu before it was completely botnet and then at last try in 2016 I was using mint linux. Is mint still a decent choice for productivity? I would use a more advanced distro for my particular hardware, but I'm really just trying to have something that would work as a daily driver with minimal setup.

Any gaming is likely going to occur on the Windows 7 side with how dated the hardware is becoming.

>even getting shilled for Manjaro on youtube recommended videos
the hebrews are behind this, without a doubt

maybe because the phone is accessed via mtp and not via traditional block devices?

XFCE is easy to rice/theme
Steam will most likely work

repology.org

silly me, it actually is. can you give me a quick rundown of what mtp ie exactly before i dig into that?

If your intention is to use it as a wallpaper then just use "xsetroot --solid #cc0000".
Otherwise look up how to do it with imagemagick. Should be a simple 1 line command.

no, go on fucking wikipedia and read about it.

Mint or one of the Ubuntu spins should be fine.
KDE Neon/Kubuntu might work nicely with a touchscreen if you want to rice things up

Why do you people even care so much? There is _always_ going to be a distro being pushed to new users.
It's not the distros fault, it's just how things are, and I suspect it's only going to happen more and more as GNU/Linux becomes more popular. What do you get out of pointing this out anyway? Do you like bashing on the flavor of the year distro for new users? Does it make you feel more elite?
Get the fuck over it.

Is it just the one phone you need? After you open it with thunar, you can list mounted devices with mount -l
It'll probably be in the same place next time.
ls /dev will also list all your devices, though it doesn't explain what anything is.
Googling for "mtp mount" will probably give you more broad resources on what's going on.

convert -size 1337x1337 xc:\#00ff00 out.png

Attached: out.png (1337x1337, 506)

Thanks. Will check out KDE Neon.

I recommend searXing instead.