Routing and Switching

Was talking to someone about my routing and switching class project last night. Just dropping this so they have a chance to get back to me over on wsr because I screwed up in breaking the rules by asking for advice here.

Attached: CP.png (628x335, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/fm/zuATwYpA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>fast ethernet
>serial interfaces
what kind of shitty project from the 90s are you trying to emulate

Dude, even Cisco still has you using Fast Ethernet and Serial connections in their curriculum sometimes.

Teach said we had to do it and that it was good practice for the final.

Here's the project itself if you're curious.
mega.nz/fm/zuATwYpA

That's because Cisco is a big ass company and they have to support all of their old ass shit out in the wild.

You wont, the only time you even will ever encounter fast ethernet interfaces nowadays would be on management ports or legacy equipment which has long since been EoLed

Tell your teacher that he clearly hasnt worked in the industry in 20 years and hasnt updated his curriculum since then

That would be nice. But unfortunately I have to study what the teacher is going to test. Is all this really that out of date though? I live in an area that's seeing a lot of new tech job growth, so I'd assume that means that newer tech is being used.

Just realized I should probably drop a link to my thread over on wsr in case the person from last night see's this.

No one uses serial interfaces anywhere for anything except for console ports. Even fast ethernet interfaces for management ports have been replaced by gigabit ethernet interfaces, because even the access layer is moving to 10gbe, and 10gbe switches generally dont play nice with SFPs running at 100mbit.

For fucks sake, I have a low end as fuck ASA 5506 I have to install at a customer monday, and its management port is gigabit

In what circumstance do you think you would ever find these interfaces? And if you find yourself in a place that does, run the fuck away, because if they're using 20 year old equipment they're probably paying you shit.

Let me guess, this class is at a community college?

>
Oh god
>- Correctly configure RIPv2
You wont use this as an interior routing protocol. It will be OSPF unless you happen to work in a place that is exclusively Cisco in which case you might see EIGRP.

>- Correctly configure NAT
>- Create and apply access control lists (ACL’S) on the appropriate routers and interfaces
Seems odd because people generally do this on their firewalls

Another thing which proves how dated your curriculum is, is that you're using layer 2 switches with dedicated routers rather than layer 3 switches.

Also tell your teacher that this design is horrible in the modern day because if anyone from Portland needs to talk to someone in Coeur d'Alene, or go on the internet, they would need to go through so many slow and grossly under provisioned serial links.

If you think this it's more likely (you) who haven't worked in the industry ever.

Layer 2 switches with a router doing the routing is standard for 'learning' networking. Makes it easier to understand the purpose of L3 switches eventually. Just because it's not commonly seen in the field anymore doesn't mean it's useless to learn, some things you learn to grasp the concepts.

Right, im just some guy who has redundant 10GbE switches at home. I clearly havent never worked in IT.

>Layer 2 switches with a router doing the routing is standard for 'learning' networking.
Its not. All it does is demonstrate how dated the curriculum is.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 12.40.14 PM.png (3360x2100, 1.71M)

Oh wow, you have a 10Gbe network at home, that must mean you have industry experience. Top kek.

Clearly you're clueless about real life enterprise deployments.

stay jelly user

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 12.44.26 PM.png (3360x2100, 651K)

Once again- home lab does not equal industry experience. If you seriously think that Fast Ethernet and Serial connection doesn't exist in real world you've clearly never worked with a corporation larger than your single dad's local comic book store

Yeah, you called it. My local two year college. My teacher has been talking about this kind of stuff like it's going to be a regular thing for us to run into in the field and I believed them because these last few weeks has been the first time I've heard about a lot of this material.

it doesnt exist. Show me these Catalysts, Nexuses or ASRs with fast ethernet and serial interfaces.

You wont and if you do run far away from that company. This stuff all would have been relevant in the 90s/early 2000s but the world has moved on. For fucks sakes a phone is capable of saturating a fast ethernet connection and wireless APs now have either NBaseT or multiple 1GbE connections. And why would a company of 600-1000 employees (from your pic) have a single site with internet access?

I'm afraid I don't have a solid answer for you. Just the assumption that she set it up that way specifically to test us in a certain fashion. I thought it was kind of odd when I first saw it but I just assumed it was my own inexperience showing.

you're even more clueless than you seem. Oh well, at some point when you get out there in the real world you'll see.

>Just the assumption that she set it up that way specifically to test us in a certain fashion
It was setup that way because your school developed (or purchased) the cirriculum 20 years ago and refuses to dump money in to this program to keep it up to date.

> I thought it was kind of odd when I first saw it but I just assumed it was my own inexperience showing.
Its not, its your school teaching you on grossly outdated skills which wont be applicable in the workplace. Some things like VLANs and DHCP are still the same but its shit i could teach you in a single day on the job. Things like RIP and serial interfaces have no relevance today.

>I wish I had a highly available firewall at home
>I wish I had the skills to crack Cisco Firepower Threat Defense
stay jelly user

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 1.24.32 PM.png (3360x2100, 557K)

That's probably a fair assessment so I can't even pretend to be mad. I have very little actual experience with any of this outside of what I've heard in class or seen once or twice in a homework assignment. I'm hoping to land a decent internship next semester. The last one I had basically had me doing nothing but data entry for six months before letting me image some old towers for the last week.