/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 452436 animal_ears headphones hibiki_(kancolle) kantai_collection nekomimi reitou_mikan sei (1200x1533, 364K)

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/
amazon.com/ammoon-Professional-Headphone-Monitoring-Appreciation/dp/B0785T1KTR/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540745072&sr=8-2&keywords=takstar pro 82&dpID=41wuAHbgPLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
cnet.com/products/onkyo-tx-sr506/specs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Post tubes

Attached: IMG_20181027_102119.jpg (936x1248, 251K)

I fucking told you guys that the THX amps would be incredible.
I wish there were an easier way to get a hold of one. Been checking ebay once an hour as well as keeping an eye on the monoprice version(don't really want to pay for their likely shitty DAC though).
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/

Attached: killmeinthedick.png (744x40, 4K)

cute boy.

I have these headphones. Classic and comfy

Attached: D3S_8255-1200.jpg (1200x1710, 192K)

Z in name of Zeos

Attached: 66CA3F03-E302-4994-8086-F3554233C6E0.jpg (748x805, 60K)

will likely become a permanent drop after the units from the 2nd drop ship in february
if you don't mind paying a bit more, there's some guy in the drop comments selling his for $450

Reposting for more opinions
>Budget
$300 area preferred, $400 is the cap
>Location
Singapore. Can't find shit here. I can order stuff online I guess but being able to try out what I'm buying before blowing cash on it is preferred.
>Source
Mostly my phone. Not gonna be using these at home, have a proper pair of headphones for that.
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
As long as it sounds good comfort level is not a major issue.
>Sound signature
Something neutral, a bit bassy is ok but no unts unts unts boom boom bullshit.
>Past headphones
Currently using Audeze Sine as my main home use headphones.

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1511960661866.png (1280x960, 112K)

I will be patient. I'm trying to work on my high time preference and be less of a nigger.
If it become a permanent drop and I can get one NIB for MSRP it will be wonderful.
Too bad the SMSL SU-8 doesn't come in black. Would be an awesome balanced stack, with essentially the best possible performance, that also looks cool.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1600, 353K)

>Budget
200-300 usd
>Location
Philippines
>Source
fiio q1
>Type of headphone
over ear
>Open or closed
closed with good isolation
>Sound signature
preferrably neutral but don't rally mind
>Past headphones
shp9500
[spoiler]other thread got deleted so I don't know if I got any replies[/spoiler]

Etymotic ER4XR

Attached: 64554.jpg (1600x899, 188K)

Don't tell me he always dresses like this.

AKG K702 + SMSL M3

How safe is it to use compressed air cans to clean headphones or other audio components? Sometimes get a lot of dust or skin flakes or w/e around the bottom of the ear pads and also on the back side with the little holes, not sure if I do long time damage while puffing a bit of air to clear that stuff.

Also sometimes to dust out the volume knob on my DAC because when it gets really dusty it can make crackly noises when you turn it? Is that ok? Also sometimes it seems like turning the knob really fast back and forth over the crackly place makes it better but will that hurt it?

Attached: IMG_20181022_101141.jpg (2976x1674, 1.32M)

BGVP DM6
Don't get etys they're awful

I have a big waterhead and glasses should i buy the beyerdynamic dt990 ?

Attached: 3tGp0Kx.png (1194x1178, 1.48M)

Very cute image of a Destroyer

i want to impregnate that boat

Attached: 0dd65b240ac5f2dd8f7cb016ac0c9172.jpg (1500x2118, 816K)

How is the A20?

>Want to buy takstar pro 82
>look on amazon
>its being sold by some company named "ammoon"
amazon.com/ammoon-Professional-Headphone-Monitoring-Appreciation/dp/B0785T1KTR/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540745072&sr=8-2&keywords=takstar pro 82&dpID=41wuAHbgPLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
it seems kind of suspicious, should I get them?

>100Ω Output Impedance

>>Want to buy takstar pro 82
>not buying the BossHiFi B8 instead

why should I buy those instead of the pro 82?

Really out dated design. Can get way better performance with sub 1 ohm z out for $100.

Sturdier with better sound. Only necklets care about the extra weight

just bought the l300 limited and limited srm-353x

oh no no no my moms gonna freak when she finds out.

please tell me it's atleast an upgrade over my 58x jubilees

AKG K553
ATH A990Z
ATH MSR7
Shure SRH840

>adi 2 makes my magni 3 sound bright in comparison
i thought all amps sound same

thanks will look into those

Attached: 1511211703501.png (1276x716, 1.07M)

It's not. Stax's presentation is shit, you'll be impressed at first and in a year you'll never even use them and they'll be up on ebay.

magni has rather high distortion which made it sound very harsh on the highs, this can be the impression of the amp being bright, it will also make bright headphones sound very sibilant, dt1990 in particular is unlistenable on the magni 3, as always, people should just avoid schiit garbage

I'm waiting for the Monoprice one to come out, but I'm legitimately considering getting one of those and calling it a day, forever, with amps. I thought I did when I just said "fuck that" and got a Creative Soundblaster X7 for convenience, but the appeal of a product which is almost as perfect as it gets for a relatively low price, which means that I won't ever have to upgrade again ? It's worthy of thinking about.

t. owner of chipped HD800

are dt770s bright and why do people say its treble is bad? also what is treble

Attached: 1540646558180.jpg (300x300, 31K)

Attached: 64654+.jpg (1000x1000, 89K)

I really like it. It's definitely not for low-impedance headphones, but for higher impedance headphones it does a damned good job. Effortlessly powers the DT1770s it came with, and even much more demanding headphones like the K612s.

Not sure I'd recommend someone go out and buy one, though. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice, but it's a really niche product. It's not great for super high impedance, or low impedance headphones that require a lot of power. But for the 150-300 range I think it does really well.

Interestingly, when used with my DT770 Pro 80s, I think the sound comes close to my WA2. In the past I've raved about how nice the DT770's sound out of that, and this really comes close. Way nicer than my Magni 2. I'm thinking the amp must have a little bit of coloration that plays nice with the DT770s.

Also the build on it is fantastic. Feels way nicer than the Magni, which is not far off from cheap Chinese shit. You kinda have value that to justify some of the price.

Anyone who buys a HD800 that isn't chipped is a moron. You can get a chipped one for like $700.
People that can't afford the HD800 and are afraid to mod or eq are the ones who buy STAX.
The l700/l300le are incredible headphones, don't get me wrong, top 10 of all time. Their presentation isn't for everyone though, I don't think anyone should buy one without easy returns or hearing them, or any stat really, first.

It was originally supposed to come out early in the summer and it keeps getting pushed back. I wouldn't be too confident about it's current release date. Besides if the dac is trash you'll be spending way more than you have to.
Wait for massdrop or another dac-less version. It's also possible that some will show up on ebay. I always buy my massdrop stuff on ebay.
You could use a topping d10, d30, d50, smsl su8, m8a, modi 3, sdac, or el dac with it. I think the topping d50 would look coolest and is the best performing dac under a $1000 iirc outside of the one that doesn't come with a case from khardas or however you spell it

I have an AV receiver that I want to use as the source for headphones. Its amplifier's output is supposedly 8 Ohm. What should be the impedance of headphones for this setup? (I mean, the acceptable range)

The monoprice version could be good though. I'm waiting for reviews anyway, but yeah, in any case I'm waiting, either for reviews, or for the damn thing to be released again.

Do you mean the output impedance? Do you have any other info for the headphone out?
Also keep in mind that you could get a magni or o2 for under $100 likely and be able to use any headphone you want.
If the output impedance is 8 ohm just get a DT880 600, HD6xx(get on ebay), or HD600.

Yeah that's what I meant
to be more specific it's cnet.com/products/onkyo-tx-sr506/specs/
and I'd rather just get a pair of headphones that would play good enough using this than get a new DAC/Amp

does virtual 7.1 even work or is it all smoke and mirrors from low budget headphones?
I just bought myself some blackweb headphones model bwa18ho019, they are marketed as a gaming headset and advertise as being 7.1 surround. I passed up a nice corolla trueno car model for these and they don't even seem anymore 3d than the headphones I already use. there aren't even any specific drivers for them, they use the generic Microsoft one.

Attached: 4992bfea-c85b-422a-8d1d-8047396bbcc7_1.ce375708b72aff78b083af9d425ec70b.jpg (2400x2400, 896K)

Anything over 8:1 is supposedly inaudible, so in you case any 64+ Ohm headphones are good.

What is the difference in comfort and sound between micro suede and velour earpads?

Attached: 1539821370334.png (497x480, 217K)

lol trusting marketing bullshits

I'm confused. If the output impedence is 8 ohm, and the ratio should be 8:1 at the most, wouldn't that make headphones with impedance over 64 not good for it?

The higher ratio the less frequency response changes.

Assuming a headphone impedance that IS NOT flat(planars for example are generally flat) the general rule of thumb is that the headphones impedance should be AT LEAST 84ohm, more is okay.
What you should do is find a headphone, go to innerfidelity's measurements to see it's impedance curve.
Or just get based dt800 600o or HD600.

yes, I made a bad purchase, by buying a $44.87 pair of headphones for like $11, only because one feature don't work

64* not 84

whats the best, cheapest set of planar magnetic headphones?

gaming 7.1 headphone are a really foolish purchase even at 99 cents.

he4xx

thank you user
this will go great with my techwear outfit

It's complicated and depends on the game and you want from it. The headphones themselves have nothing to do with it though, it's all done in software.
For example you can buy this little sennheiser headphone amp/dac that does 7.1 if you want it. You can also just do it in windows.
If I were hypercompetitive in csgo or overwatch or whatever I would have one headphone for that and one for music. Some popular gayman headphones are the ad700, fidelio x2, dt990, custom one game/studio/pro plus, shp9500, hd700(not the best for music but very good in vidya).

God I wish that were me

Attached: AI7B1248_copy_CC_20170726134453.jpg (1080x720, 49K)

what the fuck is a techwear outf...no please dont.

yeah I'd rather just not buy a "TOTL" headphone that chips and doesn't sound that good anyways
HD800's presentation is earrape treble, I'd be way more cautious buying that blind than stax which are much more neutral

Definitely doesn't sound ear rapey to me and I found the x00 ebony unbearably bright on female vocals. Stock HD800 I get but with the SDR mod it sounds very nice to me. I don't own one though. If I bought a really high end headphone I think it would be something like the klipsch hp3 or focal clear or something.
You can get amazing reference headphones for $200 so no reason to get a $1000 one.

so just because it wasn't fuckin sony or some other notarized brand? lets ignore the fact they are a gaming headset, because they have the sound quality I expect from a $50 headset. they have more clarity than the other two $50 headsets I bought before, and have just enough bass without sounding muffled. but what I asked was if headphones can even do good 7.1, say you bought some sennheiser or another high profile brand, and they said they feature 7.1 surround,and were not marketed as a gaming headset, would they be lying or could this feature exist?

thank you, didn't see your reply before I posted. I just wanted an answer not a discussion of my headphone quality.

L300 Limited is fucking great for its price, you’re not gonna regret it as long as you like the electrostat sound signature in the first place. It should be ultra-detailed and transparent when compared to Jubilees, also quite a bit brighter.

well you got both, cope with it

yes, multiple fisical drivers 7.1 headphones exist but the poit is that thei are all trash. software simulated 7.1 in a good standard headphone with a nice soundstage is way, way better.

It's objectively ear rapey dude, all measurements and most impressions correlate this observation. EQ can fix it but at that point stax have way more headroom for clean bass with EQ that its doubly not worth it to get a hd800.
>Fecal Clear
One bad decision after another.

what amp should i get for it? im also gonna get the l700 pads

You just have trash taste. A little extra treble isn't immediately ear rape. Focal elex, clear, utopia, HD800, HD800S are all incredible. STAX fr's are all wonky too but no one cares because if they like the weird ethereal estat presentation they sound good.
Very few people who have actually heard a bunch of good headphones have shitty opinions like yours. You remind me of "HD600 is objectively the best headphone" posters. Go to a meet up or trade show and actually listen to the stuff you shit on.

Attached: 18c715b7d562f89079652588483e138b.png (2222x894, 204K)

Eat shit dumbass

Attached: IMG_20181028_114959263.jpg (3200x2400, 2.81M)

schiit*

what's the difference

c and an extra i.

>Go to a meet up or trade show
I did. Most headphones sound bad. They sound very imbalanced in some way or the other. Less a matter of enjoyment and more finding one with flaws that annoy you least.
I have no more patience for driver mystics either.

>Focal elex, clear, utopia, HD800, HD800S are all incredible.
stop vomiting other people's opinions. sealed stax destroy all of these.

>uncoated dynamic
safe
>everything else
dont

understandable, have a great day

You sound like a miserable person. I can appreciate what you're saying, and yeah, there is no such thing as a headphone with a perfect response, but you sound like you actively want to be disappointed.
All that being said, everyone should remember that "endgame" is different for everyone, and you don't NEED a "TOTL" because others think that they do.

Shitty uneducated opinions trying to shill your favorite company that should have been left out of business when they failed the first time.

>You sound like a miserable person
this isn't an argument you fuck
>everyone should remember that "endgame" is different for everyone
also not an argument, just useless liberal pandering. everyone's snowflake opinion is equally important!

>Shitty uneducated opinions
not an argument, educate us user

I own the headphones I shit on. Do you?

If someone enjoys what they're listening to, whether it's scientifically perfect or a distortion cannon backed with an extra-large side of placebo, then it's mission accomplished. Sorry that you can't see that with your narrow worldview. Are there terrible marketing practices, pseudo-science and cults of personality that actively "hurt" the objective ends of things? Yeah. Does that mean that they don't have a place? No. If people produce them, and other people pay money for them and enjoy them, then they are validated, whether you like it or not. Keep chewing those sour grapes though, because like I said, you just want to be a miserable fuck. Enjoy whatever "annoys you the least".

agree with you on all you said about headphones but stop with that political bullshit user.

still not an argument. this is post modernism garbage.
>agree with you on all you said about headphones
kill yourself user. there is more than one person posting.

>everything is politics
>he doesn't realize he's already a postmodernist

please explain how I'm a post modernist I'll enjoy this laugh

how can you live with yourself user?

Had a great day so far thanks user I wish you the same. Make it as non schiitty as possible unless we're talking yggdrasil, okay?

Headphones are subjective you just end up arguing in circles endlessly. That's why no one can disprove "HD600 is objectively the best headphone.".
For example stax measure worse than a slightly modified $150 headphone. They also measure worse than a far cheaper headphone from the second most hated company in this thread. I'll leave out the worse measuring stax and the HD800 as it totally shits on them to the point it's not fair.
Also someone calling you a miserable sniveling little faggot is an argument, a great one. So you're wrong about that as well.

Attached: 870dc618061983b5cc3d176215cf06e1.png (1740x932, 214K)

>agrees with foucault on key points
>is not a postmodernist
lmao

gib yggy!!!

write Massdrop an angry letter to let them know you want your iggy

this is idiotic. point to where I made a statement that could be considered post modern
>Headphones are subjective you just end up arguing in circles endlessly.
no. so basically you're saying we shouldn't even bother with measurements, measurement heads, the study of standard curves, the study of the ear and hearing, HRTF, etc because it doesn't matter. there's no objective truth so don't even bother trying to find it.

gas yourself faggot

>comparing measurements on different couplers while misinterpreting scales
This is objectively retarded.

>Budget
$200 is preffered but can go up to $300
>Location
US
>Source
Mainly my phone but also will be plugging them on my laptop
>Type of headphone
full size
>Confort level
something that doesnt bother me that much, will be using them for extended periods of time
>Sound signature
Neutral is preffered but can tolerate a bit of bass
>Past headphones
Currently using logitech g430s

>implying that all research and knowledge would be discarded because some people like different things
Sweet hyperbole, you miserable sod. Here, do yourself a favor and go listen to this until your blood pressure drops to a reasonable level.

Attached: marvin-gaye-back-album-cover.jpg (1000x600, 82K)

Gronk not understand smart words!!!! huh??!?!