Is ubuntu botnet ?

let start a serious conversation about this with arguments and things

Attached: 36222436355_e7616d21ca_n.jpg (320x240, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Normie distro
What do you think?

imagine the retard using linux as a desktop os. no, really, just imagine

have you forgotten Ubuntu's collaboration with Amazon?

12.04 I did install xfce and then apt install gnome-shell.
(I like gnome-shell)
Always avoided unity.
Amazon was to be uninstalled.
16.04 seems ok
18.04 is a little more bloated

ubuntu = linux for NPC and normalfags

ubuntu for human beings = ubuntu for nomalfags

that fact that they preloaded spyware courtesy of amazon should tell you to stay the fuck away

Imagine samefagging this hard. Just imagine.

amazontu botnet + nsa systemd

>18.04 is a little more bloated
It's gnome
Gnome 1.5 gb of ram
Unity 600mb of ram

>ubuntu-report
- sends hardware informations
+ ubuntu-report -f send no
+ block access to metrics.ubuntu.com

>popularity-contest
- sends software informations
+ apt purge popularity-contest
+ rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest

>whoopsie
- can send crash reports
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ apt purge whoopsie

>50-motd-news
- sends informations, receives motd news/ads
+ set ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/motd-news

>geoclue/geoip
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ gsettings set com.ubuntu.geoip geoip-url ""

>lightdm
- pings uccs.landscape.canonical.com at login
+ set Servers= in /etc/remote-login-service.conf

Stop spammig your own thread, faggot. Ubuntu is fine. /thread

Thank you for the arguments and things provided

ubuntu is fine for fags
use Debian

Everything is publicly available for you to go through and come to that conclusion

No discussion needed

What about Debian with apt and gnome-shell ?

>No discussion needed
But discussion wanted

great response for a shitty thread

Attached: 1540758592.jpg (685x474, 70K)

can we pls stop this botnet faggotry
x browser is botnet
y os is botnet
etc blah blah

listen you noobs
every Intel/AMD/ARM machine is botneet.
got UEFI? BOTNET
got BIOS? BOTNET
FRITZ CHIP ON YOUR BORD? FUCKING BOTNET

so its wayne what distro

no arguments

Not botnet with libreboot and free distro biaaatch

I don't get Ubuntu, it's got non of the reasons you'd want to use linux in the first place. It's a bloated fish on the canal with a cemented dock with wide icons. It's Orange like a dutch pot smokers den. It's more inefficient than windows any time I've tried it.

> FUCKING NPC LEARN TO BE ORIGINAL!

Everything is a botnet if you listen to Jow Forums..so kill yourself now.

Attached: 14102008634265.jpg (300x386, 16K)

More hardware backdoors exist than that can plug, and the INTERNET is a botnet.

Want REAL internet security? Never use it for anything you want secure. So easy. No cost.

stop talking to yourself

So lets see. One samefagger so far and no evidence that ubuntu is botnet, except for the amazon data collect which is disabled by default and easily removed. Anything else? If not, /thread

I hated the Amazon integration garbage.
Completely un-necessay.

Attached: WIN_20161116_22_54_39_Pro.jpg (3264x1836, 1.5M)

If ubuntu is so bad why its reccomended in
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
?
If its really bad then what the fuck a newbie such as I should use? Debian?

>linux for NPC and normalfags
Wouldn't this more accurately be Android?

I've used Ubuntu for years. I installed Debian on my laptop but I couldn't connect to wifi. I couldn't find any way to get my laptop's wifi to work. Any suggestions?

Go ahead and start with Ubuntu. Learn your way around Linux. Just be aware that Ubuntu may not be a forever-paradise, and there could be some darkness in the corners. But that's ok! It's not worse than Windows, and you will be able to make a better decision in the future as to whether you will want to stick with Ubuntu, or go to something else (like BSD, or non-systemd, or TempleOS, or ... )

t-thank you for the encouragement sempai! Guess I'll move to TempleOS afterwards!

Don't do that. Temple OS is useless. There's literally nothing wrong with ubuntu. It's the only OS I've used at home for six years.

>t. mellanin enriched bioluscent central intelligence agent

yes, of course.

Shut the fuck up. TempleOS is fully functional as an operating system. Just install Shrine if you want to use internets user.

Install the proprietary blob for the wireless card

What about
Ubuntu Server

TempleOS is the only OS that isn't a botnet

terry (rip) literally used ubuntu
yes, ubuntu is the best starting point for a newfriend, and it's still excellent for expert users
usually after playing around with exotic distros you'll come back to it, it's just the most comfy and streamlined distro for getting shit done

Attached: ubuntu_user.jpg (992x558, 69K)

>you must have prior knowledge of these before you can disable the botnet
>advertised as linux for normies, normies won't ever find out abou these unless on the gui
How is this any different than windows? You're still saving face saying "it's all optional!" but hidin it behind the "don't click, very advanced users only!" filters
>inb4 shill/pajeet
Get off your high horse, everything sucks. Being trash instead of diseased shit may be better but you're still inedible

>implying Ubuntu doesn't have autistic code readers that would quickly alert the internet

Your niche distros wouldn't catch an exploit for months and you know it

Great point.

According to Distrowatch, Manjaro is number 1 these days. This seems weird to me.

who the fuck use distrowatch though
99% of the ubuntu users don't even know what distrowatch or manjaro is

I have always been weary of distrowatch. I would bet that Ubuntu is number 1 when it comes to anyone dipping their toe into the Linux arena.

Hold up, I thought Ubuntu used GDM by default

I'm using Linux Mint and literally nothing you have put here is installed in my machine.

yes, they gather telemetry data and leak app launcher searches to jeff bozos

apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree
if the kernel is too old for your needs, you can install the latest one on backports, or even migrate to Debian testing branch

It is. Probably closely followed by Mint/Debian, which are both the same thing more or less.
You just can't beat an OS that you can put on a USB stick and install on even ancient machines, at least before they switched to Gnome, though Lubuntu and Xubuntu are still around.
Unity is really good for people just trying to test the waters.
The way the dock worked, along with the taskbar, allowed Macfags and normal Windows users to get their bearings immediately.
You can't say that for any other DE.

Attached: canonical-to-stop-developing-unity-8-ubuntu-18-04-lts-ships-with-gnome-desktop-514604-2.jpg (1160x644, 49K)

can we all agree that Ubuntu is just a DE?

I've been using Linux for years and by far my favorite install is Kubuntu minimal

Distrowatch just ranks distros based on how many people click on their website.
You might as well list the worlds favorite foods by judging from what's in your fridge.

funny, most users have to visit the site to get the latest ubuntu/manjaro/mint

When was the last time someone visted debian? you install the thing and it'll work forever, you move from version to version using the command line

Not the distros websites, the distro entry on distrowatch. It's metrics are purely internal.

no, unity is (sadly) dead
they do a lot of work actually, compile a lot of packages (thanks to the debian heritage), test and fix problems, try to keep the components stable enough to be addressed to third party developers
I'll say use ubuntu but donate to the debian project

imagine being this paranoid
imagine

Attached: 1534120589144.jpg (625x626, 19K)

all common operating systems are compromised. if you want privacy, stop using the internet.

it's open source so you fucking tell me

just sinkhole metrics.ubuntu.com at the router

I have opted out of the data collection. Should be fine but I might migrate over to Debian, Arch or Manjaro. I run ubuntu mate because I don't like any of the other flavors except lubuntu.

?

It is all a matter of degree.

libreboot/libre distro vs Windows 10

>Imagine sucking botnet OS's dick
kill yourself nigger faggot

Also hired marketing agents like you need to be permabanned

/gg/
real Gz don't lie
like & share
upvote

Yes, it does a few things that are hostile to the user and would be considered "botnet" in Jow Forums lingo.

A package called ubuntu-reports collects information about your hardware and send it to Canonical servers. They say they don't save personally identifiable information, but the end user has no way to verify that they don't keep your IP. Also, unusual hardware configurations are often good identifiers by themselves. This data collection is works by opt-out, which means that the user has to go out of their way to say it doesn't want to send such information to Canonical. It still sends a message saying you declined.

Ubuntu comes with the popularity-contest package installed by default. It's offered in the Debian install as an opt-in anonymous data collection about what packages are installed in your PC.It sends data to the designated server once a week. You can disable this by uninstalling it on Ubuntu, or by not installing it on Debian.

Ubuntu comes with apport installed by default. It's that program that shows an error everytime a program crashes, and ask you to send a crash report. This is fairly useless because the program throws too many false positives - it shows errors when everything is working fine. There's no harm in uninstalling it.

Attached: 1537845117391.jpg (719x1200, 148K)

Their fuck ups are somewhat recent. It's still a good distro for beginners.