College Laptop

I’m starting college in August and need a new laptop. I’m am not the best at comparing the specs of computers so I thought I’d come here to ask for some help. If I’ll be doing programming and game design (art work), what would be the best laptop for me. I have about $3000, and while it isn’t necessary it would be nice if whatever I get could also play some PC games.

Attached: 2392D6DF-4159-417F-A766-1E4B662553CD.png (573x430, 125K)

>August
i got news 4u

pretty sure if you dont get a macbook your peers will laugh at you

thinkpad x220

Couldn’t care less about being laughed at. Is there anything you can reccomebd that isn’t apple. I like their phones, but not their computers.

What is this news?

>3000$ for a notebook
unnecessary. If you want something new get a T450s/A485 for work related stuff and use the remaining budget to build a desktop if you want to play more demanding games. As long as you're not doing extensive 3D modelling you could probably get by with a refurbished sandy/ivy bridge thinkpad/elitebook for less than 500 bucks.

I went with a top model surface pro, and never looked back.

I’m not saying I’m looking to spend $3K, I was just saying that wasn’t budget. Sorry for the confusion.

gaming laptops are retarded
that being said, wait. ryzen 3k is coming out soon and you can either get those or get some nice reduced ryzen 2k laptops.

your programming wont require shit and isn't worth mentioning, and your "artwork" if you decide to render high quality shit will be better served on a desktop where you can get much higher quality hardware for cheaper, and rendering shit on a laptop will kill it.

I get that the laptop won’t be best for working with design, however I’d have to be taking my computer to class with me.

zen 2 based epyc CPUs will launch in Q1 next year, followed by zen 2 based ryzen chips later. Only after that comes the successor of raven ridge, so far into H2 2019.

This. I spent 1.7k on a gimmicky surface for school and the battery is fucked and my warranty lapsed. If you get a good one via ebay, you can take out the battery, ram etc. I'm not sure of the model but if you go to /TPG/ you can get one that you can exchange out an old CPU for a new one.

>$3000 budget for a laptop
you should consider maybe I dunno kys?

Thinkpad X200s, X201s, X300, X301, T60p, T400s

I have money to throw away, why is this an issue?

Its probably that August is 2 months ago, genius
maybe this is just stale pasta?
>$3000 to spend on a laptop for college
I mean, its obviously bait

>no T42

for class get something that can fold into a tablet mode like the hp envy 360 that way when you get books online (fuck buying them) you can easily read them as well as scribble notes on it. It's also small and has a good battery life. Costs about 700 bucks if you get the 2500u or 600 if you go with the 2300u.

then spend 1300 or so on a gaming PC that can handle your gaming needs and rendering your artwork if need be.

still when the new models get announced or are even close to launch, companies are going to cut prices to clear out that inventory.

What? August of 2019. I feel like that was kind of implied.

>just wait for something better!
youre a fucking retard
yeah OP, may as well just wait 20 years cuz think about it, it will be better and will cost the same so if you dont just wait several years youre basically a retard OP. Wait till after you retire even for maximum efficiency

no new models will be announced for at least half a year

I clearly didn't finish
...T42p, T43p, W500, T500, T410s, T420s

and you should kys. why is this an issue?

It isn’t, I just need a better reason to do so than
>you have too much money to spend

when i was in your position I pulled the trigger on some thinkpad and it has served me well for the past two years.
if I could do it again I'd just blow 2k on a killer desktop

>needs it by August
>dont wait buy it now
KYS

Zen2 is supposed to release "early" 2019, say March or April time frame and I'd bet my left nut that manufacturers will have new laptops ready for the next school year to start, and even if they aren't ready, they will still need to mark down old models to get rid of them.

actually, either 2k desktop or just carry a usb with portable software and do all my work in the library

that option sounds a hundred times better

>early 2019
yes, for the fucking server products. Followed by desktop chips, which use the same die. After that comes the new chip with IGP.