.:Retro /pcbg/:

Baby AT edition

Want to build a retro PC? Ask your questions here. Post your builds, what you do with them, bonus points if you post from it here.

>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; retro gaming, CAD, word processing, you're probably building a retro PC to play old games anyway
>For monitors, include purpose and video connector
>You don't need a CRT to retro build, but it helps for max a e s t h e t i c. 21" Viewsonics are titties

Where to find retro software

>myabandonware.com; great for retro DOS games, W9x and WinXP games. Most are free.
>oldversion.com; lots of older software like WinRAR, WinZIP, anything from 1995-2003 you would have installed on a new build
>winworld, great place to find various versions of Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and 98SE. If you have a legal key you can download the ISO here and enter your key
>98SE is the only W9x that is bootable from CDROM, everything else you will need a working floppy drive to set up

Drivers

>OEMs used a lot of common hardware and still have the drivers on their websites, specifically Dell
>If using a 3dfx card, falconfly.de is shut down but entering it will take you to mirrors where you can get the drivers
>Pay attention to 3rd party download links, if it's too good to be true it probably is.

Attached: 3dfx.jpg (960x720, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

w3.sis.com/download/agreement.php?url=/download/
download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp
youtube.com/watch?v=qfv6Ah_MVJU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIMd8TUUGg
winworldpc.com/library/operating-systems
winimage.com/download.htm).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

CPU
>386/486 for Win 3.1
>Pentium MMX, AMD K5/K6 for later DOS games, Win 95
>Consider a Pentium 3 500mhz / AMD K6-2 500mhz minimum for 3D accelerated gaming and Win 98SE
>P3 1ghz Coppermine or Athlon 1000 for 1999-2000 era gaming. Can run W2000 on this too.
>Be advised there were dual CPU P3 and Athlon setups on the market, with the P3 being Slot and Socket 370
>P4 and Athlon XP for Windows XP gaymen
Sockets, x86. If you are using a DEC, Silicon Graphics, RISC, PPC or Itanium, stop reading, you already know what you're doing past this point I'm wasting my breath on you

Sockets

>Socket 3; 486. If 386, consider finding a Math Co-processor. 30-pin EDO memory typically, ISA slots
>Socket 4; Early Pentium, introduction of PCI slots, 72-pin memory begins here
>Socket 5; Predecessor to Socket 7, 100mhz Pentium. Was offered as a dual CPU in some NEC machines. 168-pin SDRAM
>Socket 7/Super Socket 7: Pentium MMX, AMD K6-2, 2+, 3, 3+, Cyrix 686, Winfast. Introduction of AGP. 133mhz SDRAM
>Slot 1; Pentium 2 and early P3. Large L2 cache
>Socket 370; Celeron PPGA, Pentium 3, VIA C3
>Consider Tualatin P3 and RAMBUS if your motherboard supports it. ASUS made a few of these boards, so did HP and Dell
>Socket 423, Early P4. These were slower than their P3 counterparts
>Socket 478, Later P4, SDRAM, RAMBUS and DDR, AGP and AGP Pro. Consider P4EE for retro Intel XP gaming
>Socket 462, Athlon from 600mhz all the way to Athlon XP. Later motherboards are backwards compatible with all Athlon chips.
>Slot A, early Athlon, literally a Slot 1 backwards, but the chips are not interchangeable

Motherboards

>ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI made some good stuff in the 90s
>Nvidia NForce 2 is god-tier for Athlon XP builds
>OEM Intel boards cannot overclock past the P3

RAM
>Plan your RAM around your OS
>64mb for Win 3.1 is probably plenty
>512mb max for W9x, it doesn't know what to do with anything higher
>3gb for Win NT, 2000 or XP
>RAMBUS gets hot, plan for case cooling if using 4 sticks

Graphics cards

>Early cards are a crapshoot, but ATi and Trident cards have the most driver support on old OSes
>Mach64 for 486
>3dfx Voodoo 3/4/5 for W9x and anything that can use the Glide API, be prepared to pay out the ass for one on eBay
>ATi Rage 128 and Nvidia TNT2 are good low-cost alternatives to 3dfx
>Geforce 2 Ultra, 3 and Radeon for Hardware T&L
>Radeon 9700 and 9800 Pro for Windows XP, UT2004

Storage

>Older PCs cannot support larger drives, shoot for 30gb max bootable for w9x
>50-pin SCSI: 386/486, Macintosh, some older servers
>40-pin IDE; Pentium and above, literally almost into the W7 era
>68-pin SCSI, ultra-fast, consider an Ultra320-compatible card if using 18gb and above
>Later-model Athlon XP and P4 Northwood models supported SATA 3gbs, consider a windowed WD Raptor

Display

>CRT is a meme, but a comfy meme. Consider Sony Trinitron or Viewsonic models if going the CRT route
>Watch for burn-in on used CRTs
>Some later high-res flatscreens have DVI support, make sure your graphics card can drive that resolution
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Wtf is this shit

I gave a Williamette P4 machine with Rambus to a lady on welfare.
And that's my story.

Pretty nice idea for a thread OP and very well put together.
Bumping with my retro builds.

Attached: IMG_0001pentium3newbuild (2).jpg (750x1000, 758K)

Attached: IMG_0001pentium3newbuild (3).jpg (1000x750, 795K)

Attached: IMG_0002pentium3newbuild (1).jpg (1000x750, 823K)

> Pentium 4 is now considered "retro"

Attached: game-over.gif (300x250, 2.43M)

800mhz celeron, 128mb of RAM and two 3DFX Voodoo 2's in SLI.

Attached: DSC00534.jpg (3000x2000, 773K)

>Voodoo2 in SLI

My nigga, I got a bunch of those but no pass through cables or SLI cable

v. nice

this is what I'm working on right now.

>Gigabyte Baby AT board
>P3 1ghz CuMine
>3dfx Voodoo 5500 PCI MAC flashed to PC with working DVI out
>Creative AWE32
>Compaq Intel chipset NIC
>VIA USB card
>5x 36gb SCSI stack on Adaptec 29320
>W98Se SP3

Ive been using it to test a bunch of 3dfx Banshee and Voodoo cards and some ATi and Nvidia cards I bought and have never tested. 99% are good so far

Attached: 26167799_578955149111835_2968794449843472757_n.jpg (540x960, 79K)

I also have another one I haven't finished but I'm working on

>PCChips M748LMRT
>P3 500mhz Katmai Slot 1
>Integrated EVERYTHING
>Voodoo 4500 PCI
>W98SE

It has some cooling issues with that Voodoo I might find another Baby AT case with better airflow and swap it all over.

I've got a PII Mitsubishi Apricot that's no longer POSTing properly, the beep codes indicate on-board video failure but even when I disable it via jumper it still wont boot.

Might be a power issue or a bad cap.

Attached: photo_2018-08-25_12-57-16.jpg (969x1280, 97K)

Can you put in a PCI video card?

have you tried resetting the CMOS?

>I got a bunch of those but no pass through cables or SLI cable
You can DIY them out of floppy cables!

Yep, been through all that, its had several video cards inserted with no effect. I'm waiting for a new multimeter to turn up so I can confirm that the PCI bus is getting power.

>VooDoo 5 5500
dear fucking shit, I sold one of those a couple years ago and only got like $50 for it. what the cunt happened

if the case is beige, sure, why not

Onions based nostalgia hipsters driving up prices.

Attached: 45646456.jpg (381x369, 42K)

Thank god I never threw any away and just hoarded them over the years from junk
Plus the boxes looked nice so I kept those too

I would also like to add a subsection for PCChips/ECS boards here, I will add this to the sticky in future threads. I went through hell and high water finding Win98SE drivers for these obscure boards and a lot of them are still out there but I was able to find all the drivers for my M748LMRT board. They made some really cool stuff in the late 90s early 2000.

ECS/PCChips boards

Drivers and software for these are notoriously impossible to find for pre-WinXP OS's, but the hardware they built into them was sold everywhere on individual cards and are not PCChips specific

>Model number is on the bottom of the POST screen, usually starts with an M
>To find 98/XP drivers, look at the various chips and Google the model numbers
>i.e. M748LMRT, Davicom 9102/A
>Usually the driver will pop up on DriverGuide, which no longer bundles their drivers with bloatware.
>Beware of other 3rd party sites that try to make you download their "driver finder" which can be riddled with anything from nagware/bloatware to full on viruses and trojans
>PCChips boards relied very heavily on SiS chipsets and VIA chipsets, both websites are still up

SiS

w3.sis.com/download/agreement.php?url=/download/

VIA

download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

PCChips later became ECS Elitegroup but followed the same principles and uses a lot of the same integrated SiS/VIA hardware

Attached: kit-placa-me-m748lmrt-pentium-3-700mhz-128m-sdram-D_NQ_NP_721002-MLB25771014959_072017-F.jpg (1200x900, 190K)

This. You can touch a V5 for under 250 right now. I paid 5 bucks for my V5 PCI MAC from the local electronics scrap pile and flashed it to PC.

I hoarded a ton of those old Voodoo cards and now they are worth money so I might part with a portion of my collection to pay for my Christmas cabin this December. It's not just those, there's a lot of retro hardware that has been driven up by nostalgia hipsters. ATi Rage Fury Maxx and any decent SuperSocket 7 board, of which I hoarded those too. I have a bag full of ASUS P5A's and P5A-bs

in fairness, I think the going rate at the time was $75-100, but the fans on mine were missing or not working or something, cant rememebr exactly, was a functional card though

I popped the stock coolers off a V5 AGP and epoxied Pentium 3 coolers on them, bitch was bad in 2001. Had it paired with a Duron 850 and 1gb RAM, on WinXP. I have thought about buying an AGP card and doing that mod again

Do Macs count? Back then they were upgradeable too, in fact pic related has nothing stock except for the case, the PSU and the logic board.
I feel like I've seen that motherboard somewhere...

Attached: IMG_20180923_015304.jpg (2560x1920, 2.17M)

youtube.com/watch?v=qfv6Ah_MVJU

My buddy has I think a G3 with a G4 dual CPU board or something like that

If so, he has a really rare upgrade card which fetches around 400-500 burgers.
Mine has an even rarer card, a Sonnet Encore /ZIF G4 1GHz, the fastest CPU you can cram in any beige Mac. Give me about 15 minutes and I'll post from it.

Attached: Gotta keep the baka cool.jpg (2560x1440, 835K)

>Mine has an even rarer card
This isn't a competition

Never said it was a competition. Having a fucking upgrade card I happened to stumble upon doesn't make me any better.
Pic is the Radeon 9250 the G3 has inside too. I have it clocked to 294MHz core and ~270MHz memory. It scores a tad lower than the FX5200 that shipped in most baseline G5s in most benchmarks, runs about the same in games.

Attached: 0d0faafb-702c-41c1-9029-757d70f7582a.jpg (720x540, 62K)

So uh would Socket A/462 be a good compromise between compatibility and speed for a Win98SE machine?
I did back in the day have a Compaq with a 700mhz Duron running win98 but I was just wondering if there was any intrinsic issues with running the newer motherboards with a Athlon XP?

If you have the drivers and all the other hardware is compatible, sure. You really don't need that speed for a Win9x games machines though.

I need something as new as possible that has windows XP support

Can anyone give me some guidance on setting up a 386/486 PC?

I've used Windows 3.1 before but have never had to install it myself. What's the go-to way in 2018? Are torrents/downloads of the installers available to put on floppies?

Apologies for noob questions

Attached: IMG_20181015_225357.jpg (4208x3120, 3.16M)

ivy bridge

Could do a multi boot system. 98SE, 2000 and XP.

I thought about ivy but AMD's old 900 chipsets have XP drivers and you can still get a board and chip cheap.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIMd8TUUGg

Its really just to have the best Windows 98 machine one would reasonably have.
To this day win98 is still my most used OS I was like 2 years old since I started using the family PC that was purchased in 1998 and that PC was used well into 2010, we didn't have internet so there was no pressure to get something better. That was when I acquired the compaq which had windows ME on it originally and became my personal PC

winworldpc.com/library/operating-systems
That should be everything you need. USB floppy drives can write images with WinImage (winimage.com/download.htm).
Win3.1 will be fine for 386 to DX2, DX4 could handle Win95 also.

Go for it, you should get pretty good balance between speed and compatibility. Make your homework before buying parts though, making sure proper driver support is there.

I had a PowerPro 601 80MHz w RAM expansion; it was rarer

Some long 15 minutes these were. Here it is. I'm booted on Tiger right now because it's what runs best on this thing. But it also has Mac OS 9.2.2 and OS X Leopard installed.

Attached: Picture 1.png (1280x960, 300K)

>not just buying a 478 Pentium 4 build and using the integrated mobo graphics and audio
It just werks

your onboard does glide without emulation?

nah, that's gay

this thread is heaven, all I've been looking at lately is figuring out how to get my own retro PC, I have a few different ideas and I'm trying to figure out which one to pick.

Option 1: get an early 2000s laptop, (they're like 20 bux on ebay now), install DOS/FreeDOS/98SE with DOS boot disk, and use it as an all purpose retro machine, everything from Zork to Thief II.
>Issues with Option 1: Unsure of how common it is to find legacy ports on laptops from that time, inability to use ISA cards so I'd need to use a legacy parallel port (if any) for OPL3LPT, overpowered, shitty laptop keyboard, inability to modify, shitty screen.
Option 2: Buy/build late 90s/early 2000s desktop PC, more expensive, but much less difficult to get legacy ports and modify, as well as having good support for simply throwing in a CD and floppy drive and whatever else I need
>Issues with Option 2: Expense and difficulty with buying all the right parts, potential driver frustration

I'm leaning towards Option 2 but I'm worried about how difficult it'll be, I've never really built an old PC before, at that time I was just using my parents beige box. Any info on a cost effective way to build a desktop DOS machine? Or where someone might be selling one cheap?

And here's its Geekbench score.
It outperforms the B&W PowerMac G3(1999), all G3 iBooks(2003), all G3 iMacs(2001), the first three generations of PowerMac G4(2002) and some iMac G4s(up to the 867, 2002).
Not bad for a computer from 1997 methinks.

Attached: Picture 1.png (764x824, 261K)

I should add, it's not even necessary about having period correct hardware for me, so if there are later motherboards/computers that still have all the ports I need and ISA and IDE slots that's fine with me too

This. I do it all the time when messing with my old PCs...

Attached: IMG_6560.jpg (2016x1512, 691K)

well done.

summoning SGIfag with his dual P3 slot 1 setup to post ITT

what browser can I use in W98SE to download drivers and shit

Option 2, it's still very easy. You can't put in anything backwards past the Pentium era.

You don't need to pay ridiculous money to build an over-the-top period hardware retro box. ISA ended about the 133mhz FSB Athlon era. Your cheapest route will be to build a Socket 462 VIA KT266 build, or an AMD 756 build. Those boards are cheap, the chips and RAM are cheap, GeForce 3's are cheap. The chips get hot so make sure you got a decent cooler, a lot of the high-end Athlon XP coolers will bolt in.

>Bawls

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT

Your limit with 98SE is going to be memory, officially the max is 512mb but a Google search turns up a way to get it to address 1gb

98SE was still a relevant OS during the 1st generation Athlon era so a lot of drivers were written for that period of hardware. I had my old Duron 850 running a Voodoo 5500 with P3 coolers on it and 1gb ram in XP and 98 dual boot, back in the day.

Opera or Firefox with KernelEX

is ISA even necessary? Is it possible I could get everything I need PCI? that would bring the prices down even further, I just found a PCI adlib card, and then I'd just need a video card and whatever CPU I found, right? Was ITX already standard at this time?

It isn't but if your board doesn't have onboard sound, those old ISA Creative Sound Blaster 16s are fantastic for old DOS games that were designed to output MIDI audio on an AWE32 or SB-compatible. SB16 and AWE32 will play sound from every single DOS game under the sun. Dark Forces and DOOM are prime examples of this, they will output on emulators or SB-compatibles but the real thing is just, set it and forget it, and those ISA cards are cheap and plentiful.

If you get a 386, be sure to get a math co-processor for it, like an i387. Not all 386 boards have the math co socket, but if it does, get it and get the co-processor. You can find them on ebay for 20-30 bucks.

so adlib compatible and sound blaster compatible are separate? The main game I want this setup for is Ultima Underworld, and I believe that uses Sound Blaster Pro, will SB16 work for it? will it be missing sounds?

Not that poster, but they're around. You can walk into a Fry's Electronics and buy one out of the coolers.

Retro PCBG, does anyone make new AT PSUs? And if so, where do I buy them?

I'm pretty sure no one makes new AT PSUs, but for the record, the 300w Topower in my 1ghz AT mod has a QC stamp dated 1986 on it. I would look around on eBay.

I believe they are. If it's SB Pro then the SB16 and AWE32 will work, as well as any of the compatibles and any of the Creative Labs SB offerings, they made a bunch of them. SB16 is the one and done card.

This or something like it is what you're looking for. Vibra series works too, at least in Dark Forces, Wolf3D and DOOM

Attached: Sb16waveffects.jpg (939x710, 223K)

You can easily convert ATX to AT.

So will all this stuff fit in a normal ATX case? Even a modern one?

>retro
>buying intel
Risc, K6, 7, 8 are all better and more interesting than housefire pentium garbage

Just buy new old stock

Is this retro enough

Attached: IMG_20181024_032348.jpg (2160x3840, 1.91M)

Yup

>not even UltraSPARC
no

So this is what I have so far

Retro PC Build:

Case: Any cheap ATX case
Keyboard: Any cheap PS/2 keyboard
Mouse:
MOBO: Socket 3
Sound Card: SoundBlaster 16
Video Card: Trident VGA or EVGA
Drives: Floppy drive, CD drive
RAM:
Hard Drive:

Idk how RAM works, and I could do one of those compact flash hard drive setups couldn't I? Would a cheap PS/2 Mouse work?

This one is a laptop - are 386 laptops usually upgradeable? IIRC this one has a low-end knock-off CPU that can do both 386 and 486 or something like that. I looked up info on it before but I don't have it sitting in front of me, sorry.

Get a Microsoft PS/2 mouse, they are legendary status. Socket 3? Find a math co-processor if 386, Pentium Overdrive if you can find one for 486. May also be called Pentium Pro Overdrive but it has to fit in a Socket 3 486. They were offered for a short time at the very end of the 486 era right before Pentium and PPro dropped

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try getting stuff set up tomorrow :) will report back in the thread!

They usually aren't on a hardware level but you can upgrade RAM and hard drive normally unless it's some weird ass proprietary shit

specs?

I thought I'd have to get socket 3 for ISA? what mobos should I be looking at then? I must've misunderstood when I read
>Socket 4; Early Pentium, introduction of PCI slots, 72-pin memory begins here

And on that note, I'm trying to find what OS to use, do you know anything about the variations of DOS? Like FreeDOS and DOS 7?

Why do you say CRT monitors are a meme? Are there flatscreens that don't have issue with all the weird resolutions that old computers run at? like 320x200, since that uses non-square pixels.

Oh boy, you did not just ask that.

Pentium 3, 1GHz Coppermine
512MB PC133
VIA Apollo Pro 133A
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS AGP
Two 3dfx Voodoo 2 12MB SLI
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Creative Sound Blaster 16 OPL3
3Com Gigabit ethernet 3C2000
Initio INIC1623 SATA controller
WD Raptor 78GB 10000RPM SATA HDD
WD Blue 500GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
WD 160GB 7200RPM IDE HDD in the front caddy
IDE DVD-ROM, 1.44MB 3,5" floppy, onboard USB

It's a real IRQ Hell. But you can play anything from early DOS games (via slowdown software) and real OPL sound to DOS and Windows Glide games without emulation and later Win32 games with EAX.

Attached: IMG_0002irqhell (2).jpg (1000x750, 909K)

how do you get Opl sound with PCI?

I don't, it's ISA.

Attached: IMG_000p3newbuild (4).jpg (1000x750, 882K)

If you're going to run DOS software, DOS 6.22 will be the most compatible.
CRTs are a meme, but a good one, for DOS gaming they are a must.

>>You don't need a CRT to retro build, but it helps for max a e s t h e t i c. 21" Viewsonics are titties
Sony, LaCie, Mitsubishi/NEC are the cows udder, Viewsonics are a sensible chuckle.

And what sockets should I be looking for?

For DOS? Socket 3 will be fine. Like explained.
He just pointed out you don't have to use a 486 in a Socket 3 board, you could use a Pentium Overdrive.

What games will this top out at? I have my eyes on Quake II's DOS port and MDK

Oh, you should go with Socket 5/7 and a Pentium MMX if you're planning on playing games like that.

I can still get mobos with ISA ports with Socket 5/7?

Yup, there are even Socket 423 boards with ISA slots, but most of them don't work well for sound cards, not to mention, even LGA 775 boards with ISA slots, but keep away from those.

What games would the Pentium Overdrive top out at?

Socket 3? Pretty much what you wanted, Quake 2 (in DOS), Need for Speed and MDK, most DOS games. Bottleneck here being the bus.
Socket 5/7 with a Pentium Overdrive (MMX)? Early Win32 games, like Age of Empires, Quake 2, Starcraft and many more.

I'd recommend you just watch YouTube videos of different builds/CPUs and what games and how well they play them.

To add to that, Overdrives are rarer and expensive, so if you want to play DOS games, go for a normal Socket 5/7 Pentium MMX to be able to play almost anything DOS and a Pentium 2 or 3 for Win32/9x games.

buy the most powerful cpu/mb combo that has the most granular control over the multiplier/cache settings and also contains ISA slots or a sb-link connector.

Wouldn't dosbox run old games with your newer build too?

I'm not trying to belittle anybody, just a personal question.

It's limited to DOS and it's not perfect.
Plus I guess some people like the feel of real hardware (I don't, I just use it because it's simpler and more accurate.)

A lot of it for me is real hardware, I want everything on my PC to run natively, constantly emulating other platforms just makes your PC feel pointless. Also it's nice knowing that you have purpose built hardware, and you don't have to waste time booting into an emulator to get where you want, also the ability to interface with your hardware at a much lower level and understand it easier is a huge reason.

this

I hope TUSL2-C is retro enough.

Attached: p3-s_fuckyeah.jpg (1582x1170, 193K)

lewd

>I paid 5 bucks for my V5 PCI MAC
ut99_holy_shit.mp3
Used to saw some AGP V5s three years ago for 50usd each and now prices just went full retard (like 300 freedom bucks, pci one would probably go with TLDR2080 price tag).

Attached: bunny-suits-2x1.jpg (1000x500, 248K)

And don't forget the Voodoo Playdough man destroying loads of cards.

SB16/AWE32 aren't fully SB Pro compatible and will often play mono only when choosing SB Pro.

>UltraSPARC more retro than x86

Attached: 1538860761293.png (560x632, 137K)