Is light faster than electricity?

is light faster than electricity?
I'd say so.
why aren't computer components optical instead of sea of electrons in metal jiggling together?

Attached: 1535997590433.png (581x720, 603K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_factor
twitter.com/AnonBabble

we're working on it

i can go faster than light, c*2, see? faster than light bam you cant even argue

easier to miniaturise

Do you have some optical sensing technologies that work when they're a few nanometers large?

photons are big and electrons are small

why don't we just use cables like we do power lines and use AC
you either push or pull on the line which transfers a single bit across instantly
time to make a patent boys

This. Photonic computing is still in the pre-experimental stage, but I'm sure it'll eventually be a thing.

Literally google these questions instead of asking Jow Forums and I guarantee you'd learn more

Quantum first.
Optical later.

>photons are big and electrons are small
did you mean instead 'wavelengths are wide'?

Electronic signals move around 2/3 c in copper and can move at c in a perfectly conductive material.

Em front in copper is faster than speed of light in glass.

>quantum is instantaeous
>light is not
Wut

Because electrons interact with each other while photons do not. It takes either very high intensity or a very long time in close proximity for photons to interact.

Light IS electricity.

Except it doesn't transfer instantly. Vsauce did a video on this.

>shush have your daily programming
fuck off libtard

Because the speed of electronics are not yet limited by the speed of electricity which is still very fast.

Copper can do the same speeds as any fiberoptic equipment, but only up to like 3 to 5 meters. Fiberoptic is only used for longer high speed runs and at the ends of the cable it's converted back to conventional digital electrical signal.

That's how the universe works. Read up more. Information > particles

> Le I'm too smart for normie edu-channels
The quintessential 115 IQ.

VSAUCE IS CRINGE BUT VSAUCE IS NOT PROGRAMMING HE SOURCES EVERYTHING HE SAYS STOP DIGGING AMERICA INTO A HOLE WITH THE ANTI-INFORMATION MOVEMENT! AS A SPERG WHO HAS READ NOTHING BUT NON FICTION SINCE I WAS 3 I NEED YOU TO DIE FUCK OFF AND EAT SHIT FOR BEING SUCH A REPUGNANT SUCK-OFF, YOU ARE KILLING AMERICA, KILLING BRAZIL, KILLING EUROPE AND GIVING ALL THE MORE ROOM TO ACTUAL FUCKING DEGENRATE SHITTERS THAT ARENT PANTS ON HEAD RETARDED BUT ATILL MORALLY BACKWARDS LIKE GOOKS SPIX AND AFRICANS, FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

WHEN DOES IT STOP? HOW DO I SWITCH UNIVERSES TO GET AWAY FROM RETARDS LIKE YOU?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yikes

Lets be honest. There is nothing left to kill in Brazil.

fuck you I thought Trump supporters were bro tier

Attached: Screenshot_20181029-042325.jpg (1080x2280, 489K)

the speed of electricity through a copper wire is about 95% the speed of light. it wouldnt be worth completely redesigning everything to use light instead.

mutts aren't white

Doesn't Brazil have a corrupt as shit government and a taxrate of 9001%?
Pre 1776 America was tamer than that and we went to war.

Think of the speed of light as more of a limit and less of an actual speed, the more you approach it the higher the energy you'll need, until when very close you'll have consumed all the energy in the universe and you are still not quite there yet. Or so I've read go ask /sci/ for this sort of thing they're the appropriate board for this kind of discussion.

>is light faster than electricity?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_factor
>Cat 7: 74%-79% of speed of iight
>Optical fiber: 67%
>Cat 5e: 64%
tl;dr: no

It's easier to manipulate electricity tho

Also we are working on it, i't just not really easy thing to do if you want to have comparable performace.

Nanometers are a meme. We could have processing as powerful as modern computer chips with the power of a single flashlight

yes

Go away Elite: Big D player

Photons are at the same time wavelength and particle

Because its too expensive. Also you cant feed light to a transistor.

90mill of 200mill total

> brazil is white

>being a reactionary right winger who still gets triggered by liberals

fuck that noise, scale it up instead for better heat management

hum it's called a flashlight sweety

it's tricky

>is light faster than electricity?
In vacuum, yes. In fiber, no.

Actual electrons in a wire move very slow, usually less than a milimeter per second (slower than a snail), this speed is called the drift velocity. But in real life, what actually matters is the impulse wave. Imagine a long stick with a button on one end, if you push the stick, the stick will not move very fast but the button will be pressed almost instantly, what happens is an impulse wave that travels through the stick, after all, no communication can happen faster than the speed of light.