Trackball Mice

looking into getting a trackball mouse soon.
any tips or recommendations?

Attached: logitech trackball.jpg (500x500, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fewprojects.com/files/marblescroll/MarbleScrollApp.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: 6080600cv11d[1].jpg (3955x3308, 840K)

Attached: 1260761 sa.jpg (376x500, 35K)

This

This thing is great

Attached: mbank38730_w1400_h1400.jpg (1400x1400, 39K)

really? i feel like itd be hard to get used to. but maybe a normal mouse with an added trackball on the side would be harder since youd have to adjust your behaviour instead of learning something new

ones like these seem like theyd be worse for your wrist, are youd have to flick your wrist and youd have to do that thing that you do with normal mice where your hand is in the opposite of a handshake pose

these almost always start double clicking after a year or two and the construction is pretty cheap

You do have to adjust but you get more control using two fingers instead of just the thumb.
You don't move your wrist at all, you just keep it straight. You use your index and middle finger to move the ball.

I've been using the one in your pic for the last decade and love it. Cheap and gets the job done. The only downside is that there's no scroll wheel, which can take some getting used to and may be an issue in the odd program that requires it for certain functions.

I also have the one on ops pic,
you can use the 4th button to emulate a scroll wheel (hold and scroll the ball)
Its great btw

Can go wrong with the Kensington Expert Trackball

good to know

*can't

Attached: serveimage.jpg (560x560, 30K)

Attached: Elecom_HUGE_Trackball.jpg (789x826, 123K)

> hold and scroll the ball
I learned a thing today

you need a program to do so,
its called marble scroll wheel
its from the manufacturer

fewprojects.com/files/marblescroll/MarbleScrollApp.zip

OP pic is dogshit. Far worse than because there's no practical way to scroll.

This is what I've been using for 3 years. Still held up well. The rubber feet wear away (I'm down to 1 of 4) and the movement of the ball gets less stiff over time (can be good or bad depending on your preference).

As with any trackball, you have to clean it regularly. (Take out the ball and wipe out the hair and crud that builds up). Probably once every 3-7 days for me, but I don't really notice.

that looks like the best of both worlds. not having to use your thumb for the ball but still being mouse shaped enough

>any tips or recommendations?

fingerball is superior to thumbball

if you ever come across pic related for cheap, BUY IT.

Attached: bestball.jpg (849x704, 154K)

Not OP, but I'm think about getting this one. Is it any good? Are trackball mice good?

Whoore's law is upheld. Every two years yields a better vibrator than the last.

probably has the click of death issue like most nu logi mice
wish it had the toggleable scroll wheel tho

What is this click of death you are talking about?

starts double clicking when you want to single click

I have a logitech mouse and it doesn't do that. I've had the mouse for over a year now.

neat

QUADS
I got a slimblade recently and it's quite comfy using the ball as a wheel. The downside is that only 3 of the 4 buttons can be reprogrammed in the software. A piece of advice I would have is that usually acceleration is frowned upon with traditional mice. Most of the trackballs have shit sensors, unless you get a CST, so don't feel awkward about having some acceleration implemented so you can comfortably move the cursor where you need it.

It's a well documented issue. The micro-switches go out and it will double click or the other end is it lets go. So you're dragging something and it lets go prematurely.

Looking into a better one right now, the one I used at work fell into this issue, the one at home still works.

got this problem with my g600. i love using it because of the many buttons but this is such a shitty thing to have to deal with

this guy recommended finger over thumb mice so maybe tryy those?

I've had both of these... the old Microsoft Trackball Explorer is extremely comfortable (still have it). I liked OP's Logitech. Its lack of scroll wheel isn't a problem, IMO, because the ball absolutely FLIES. It's very very easy to flick the pointer over to a scrollbar on screen (or anywhere else on screen, really) and scroll that way. Finger ball is better than everything else for pointer speed and accuracy, and that Logitech super fast and smooth.

Attached: 1514492647164.jpg (600x585, 195K)

Why is fingerball superior compare to thumb? I was thinking about that mouse because it is angled to be more ergonomic.

That made me think of Ceiling Cat.

Attached: Ceiling_Cat_by_SleepySnitter.jpg (639x367, 19K)

you dont have to move the trackball so just put it on something slanted. fuck tape it to a wall or the underside of your desk

You can configure it with xinput to have a button activate drag lock. I use RMB+Marble for all my scrolling needs!

This is an issue on some models. My M570 recently started doing it, and the only solution is to replace the switch. Thankfully digikey carries the microswitch for a whole 40cents so you can just rip it apart, desolder the switch and solder a fresh one in there.

Doesn't every consumer product have some issue with it?

I'm using this right now, good battery life and thumb left-clicking is god tier

Attached: 71aqPca5YJL._SX425_.jpg (425x427, 19K)

>Why is fingerball superior compare to thumb?
pointer control - especially with models that have a ball that's large enough for two fingers to control. thumbballs aren't bad... they're comfy. like says, fingerball is fast and accurate. usually, you can place the pointer right where you want it with one quick motion.

I use this. It's perfect. Don't need to use my wrists, and with the right setting I can do more than any general mouse can.

my parents have been using the same one in your pic for at least 13 years of continuous use. Just make sure you clean it cause it can get grimy

Jesus, I bought one of these many years ago and never got used to it. I ended using a mouse with my left hand and a trackpad with my right.
I gave the MS trackball to a guy in my office who still uses it. I should have checked ebay first.

I’ve had this since January. I’ve grown to absolutely love it

My dad's been using the Marble Mouse in one form or another since 2006 and he's absolutely loved it. I'm not quite so enamoured. He gave me his old office model after his old company went bankrupt in 2009, I tried using it for about a year but eventually the lack of a scroll wheel just wore on me and I replaced it with an MX-518. My mom still uses the Marble Mouse and loves it.

My company was doing an office-wide "ergonomic upgrade" and I decided to give trackballs another chance and ended up getting this. I actually really liked it at first, it was comfortable if not entirely efficient. After about 18-20 months though, as others have alluded to, it developed the double-clicking issue and became more or less unusable.

The Marble Mouse USB can be modded to fit a higher CPI/laser mouse even. I saw a guide on a forum that used a chink laser mouse fitting into the case.

The Marble Mouse USB has limited sensitivity and quite a jitter. There is an initial movement problem since the ball is static friction'd before rolling.

I tried the L-Trac 1600 CPI laser mouse. The ball is 50% larger in diameter (1.5" vs 2.25"), and I think made from heavier material. It's unbearable, and in no way ergonomic. I spent over $100 on the fucker and I don't think I get a refund when I returned it. Except for the switches wearing out (replaced them repeatedly), the Marble Mouse is imo THE most ergonomic mouse. I have large hands and joint issues, so take that as you will.

The normal sensitivity is poor for precise stuff. I have to turn it up to max sensitivity in Windows to get a decent speed across a screen (no acceleration of course, that's the most shitty mouse setting in existence). In games I can't snipe at my max ability. It's just no good for that, though it's good in most other cases.

Pic related. Left is more neutral, right is with fingers ready for right clicking/rotating a lot. I generally aim/move cursor with both fingers.

Attached: half size.jpg (2448x1632, 492K)

I have this one. At the beginning the berings werent very smooth, but after some weeks it works like a charm

Ah fuck, I just ordered a Elecom Huge after seeing this thread. Been using a m570 for the past few years and it's time to get beefy.

Attached: elecom_huge_trackball_87142[1].jpg (4032x3024, 2.27M)