/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: which_thinkpad.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Genuine-9Cell-T410-SL410-Battery-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-T510-T520-SL510-E520/173341999048?hash=item285bfcffc8:g:sGYAAOSwj6lbDmVe:rk:3:pf:0&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3
download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420_t420i_hmm.pdf
ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo ThinkPad T420s Power Jack Replacement/41920
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sup,
so my enter, shift and fn key stopped working on my t440s keyboard after I gave it a quick wipe with some alcohol on a rag.
I usually do this every few days since the keycaps are worn down and get greasy fast, plus I like it hygienic.
Do you guys know some tips for getting those keys working again or should I just get a new keyboard?

Attached: 1526848235181.png (661x688, 776K)

Not posting this to trigger freetards but I just bought a TP with win7 key and plan on keeping the OS with my SSD. Am I right in thinking my BIOS stores the product key as it's OEM? How much of this Lenovo specific software is worth reinstalling? I quite like the power manager running it for the last few days.

Checked.
Was it running at the time or did you boot it up shortly after? If so, it's on (You). Suspect you're fucked either way.

why haven't you librebooted/corebooted your thinkpad?

Attached: IMG_1088.jpg (4032x3024, 2.48M)

How do you feel about t420 in 2018

>Was it running at the time or did you boot it up shortly after?
I powered it down for cleaning, also I didn't use much alcohol on that rag, just enough to get it damp

I realized the only reason I wanted a T430 was so I could hook it up to an external monitor, close the lid, and use it like a cheap desktop. should I just get a thinkcentre or some other out of lease business desktop?

Someone please justify my action

Attached: bought.png (1144x623, 340K)

>tfw have an FHD modded, classic keyboard modded $500 kitted-out X230 but just bought an X200 for $60 and I'd rather use the X200 because the build quality is that much better

>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
How can the T440s be best price/performance if the X230 is faster, cheaper, and has the bonus of being more portable and more reparable?

Attached: nigga.png (418x418, 98K)

too hard
ThinkCentre M92p
too fat for a daily carry, too weak for a desktop replacement

I'm thinking of getting a T480s, anybody have one, thoughts?

What stickers are you sporting

so the power cable is sagging in the power slot in my t420 and i have to have it held in the right spot to get it to charge. Where do I have to go in and what do I have to do in fucking with the power port to get it working right again?

would I get an odd look nowadays if I brought out the t420 to a starbucks or uni campus?

>ThinkCentre M92p
the full-size or small form factor?

Why would you care? Why would anyone care?

It's the nicest modern laptop I've tried. The lack of the bridge battery system kind of sucks, but it's light, has better cooling by default than the T480, and has pretty good battery life.

It's just another black laptop. At most you might get the 1 person that says something about how it's not a Mac, but other than that random individual no one really cares.

sorry, look for the M92p Tiny specifically
>At most you might get the 1 person that says something about how it's not a Mac, but
No one will say this.
They may silently judge you, but they will not approach you and voice their opinion to you. People this maladjusted are using ThinkPads, not MacBooks. If you are a young guy working on a T420 in a public space you might get a faggot from this website or (more likely) from Reddit give you a weird insider compliment. I've actually had this happen before.

>sorry, look for the M92p Tiny specifically
isn't it the same performance but with less ram slots

The FHD displays are dogshit, my Dell from 2014 has a nicer display. Get the WQHD.

Otherwise pretty good.

I have it and I like it.

based non-cat poster

>RedHat ThinkPad

Attached: 1525758015946.gif (400x560, 1.23M)

Guys what's the difference between an x230 and x250 thinkpads (considering an t431s too). I'm going to use it for school mostly.

Eh who gives a shit, when I walk around with a thinkpad, you seem more professional to a certain demographic even though you have a anime wallpaper. Or you can always go on a autistic rant on how you've upgraded a cheap 100 usd laptop to beat all the modern budget laptops of today

I found a T43 should I buy it?

Attached: 1539879941597.jpg (1894x1636, 541K)

>win7
Not yet I think. I have a key from any old Acer that I used on a Clevo laptop when the Acer bit the dust, and is now sitting in my desktop updated to win10. I think it's only win8 onward

Thinking of getting a cheap x230 on eBay, but the seller says the bios is password protected. Is there an easy way to reset this?

At least you have a pet project

>caring what other people think about the laptop you're using
you need to be 18 to post here

Aus here, bought a refurbished x220 on ebay for $60 but came with no battery, where is a good place to buy one from and what price range should i be looking at? Is a 9 cell worth getting over a 6 cell?

always a 9 cell, don't worry about the weight, the x220 is light enough as it is

So is x240 really shit?

It wasnt weight that was the concern more about the price since a brief look at ebay shows 9 cells between $80-100 AUD while 6 cells seem to be more common and more cheaper so i wasnt sure if the 9 cell would be worth the more expensive price over the 6 cell.

Which latest 12"/14" models with fully XP support?

Attached: IMG_20181029_130458 (1).jpg (300x300, 15K)

desu I just got my 9cell off ebay for about 20ish dollars. Didn't explode or anything yet, had it for about 3 months now? Then again I wouldn't be surprised if it dies within 2 months or anything like that. You get what you pay for, goodluck

Basically ask yourself if extra hours of battery life are important to you that should make it easy enough to decide.

Alright thanks for the advice friends.

Since no one answered me in the last thread ill ask again.

>$35
>new genuine lenovo 9-cell battery
y/n?

Unless you switch out the touchpad then yes

>new genuine lenovo 9-cell battery
>$35

lol

Correct

ebay.com/itm/Genuine-9Cell-T410-SL410-Battery-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-T510-T520-SL510-E520/173341999048?hash=item285bfcffc8:g:sGYAAOSwj6lbDmVe:rk:3:pf:0&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3

So from what i understand, the x220 has support for msata ssds but will only run at sata 2 speeds instead of sata 3, is there an actual difference between the two for daily usage or is it not noticeable?

Almost no difference in daily usage, don't worry about it.

What do u think about ThinkPad Edge E480 / Edge E580 and L380?

Took the meme, bought a x201.
Arch seems like the best option, but what DE/WM should i get? I want the cool assthetic ones that all the cool kids on Jow Forums have

try xfce

Does it fuck up the battery life? What i'm concerned about is that reviews say that the x201 (with a new 9cell) lasts around 10 hrs with wangblows... Would Arch drag that down?

Is that an x201 with libreboot

probably X201 display bezel

It's a decent machine, using one myself. Plan on upgrading the CPU and screen sometime in the future.

I'd buy it for that price.

I bought a 6cell from better battery for 40 + shipping.

Hasn't exploded on me yet and it plays nice with the Power Manager. 4+ hours on Balanced setting, medium brightness and wifi on

I wanna get a new battery for my x201, but im afraid aftermarket ones sold online will fail on me. Did you buy genuine?

>too fat for a daily carry
I carry around a W520 +9 cell with the charger everyday. Worth it for the screen
grow a pair

Product key should be under the battery.

Nah.
Use the usual tlp and auto power management stuff and you'll get some solid battery life out of it.

Not him but is tlp better than powertop or laptop-mode-tools?
What other things can i do to increase battery life that isnt DE or distro specific?

how long last a cpu?
Iam thinking between a T440P and a T450S i dont know waht to chose. is the socketed cpu a big pro or is a cpu nearly for ever working under normal condition?

T440p can hold 45w quad core which is vastly superior to T450s 15w dual core, if all what you do with your laptop is shitposting, watching animu and browsing internets T450s is probably fine, but if performance is ever a real concern definitely go for T440p, dual cores feel pretty outdated at this point for me, even for just shitposting and stuff so it really depends on your expectations.

Can you undervolt the t480 in the bios?

What's the difference between X220t and X230t ?

Is $175 good for x220?
i5-2540M @ 2.6GHz
8GB RAM
240GB Dell SSD
9-cell genuine Lenovo Battery
Fingerprint Reader
TN Screen
Apparently comes with some kind of generic chink charger.

i dont talk about the better cpu, i talk about how long it will run.

Can't in bios, at least not by standard means, you have to use software.

I've never heard about a CPU dying, you have to toast it. So both are as secure. A Hard Drive or whatever can die in the lifespan you have it tho

2x T500, Chargers included and both working.

No mention of specs from listing but based on ThinkWiki it'll have Core Duos... what should I offer (CAD), or are these not worth it?

Attached: hmm.png (488x482, 42K)

I would say for the memory and storage you're getting the price point is fine.

What price point is reasonable for a T430? Assuming the most common configuration on ebay which seems to be i5/4-8GB RAM/340-500GB HDD
There seems to be a wide variance in selling points, and I'd like to at least try to avoid being jew'd.

No. It's betterbatt branded battery. Australian-based business. I did some googling and reviews are mixed about quality, some good some bad, but they honor their 400 day warranty so I decided it was worth the risk.

Anybody have experience replacing the rubber stands on the bottom and the lid? I ordered an x230 and it's in a pretty good shape, but few of those are missing.
Should I buy the cheapest off AliExpress?

Advantages to do that??

What do I have to remove on t420 to get at the power jack?

>tfw i5-2520m is getting too slow for heavy usage

It's over lads

Why should I replace my more powerful laptop with a Thinkpad ?

Because your gaymar laptop has a shit keyboard for actual work, sounds like a Concorde taking off, and makes you look like a virgin in front of customers.

Let's see...in a general order it would be:
>take battery out
>take keyboard out
>remove several screws from the bottom securing palmrest
>remove palmrest
>remove CPU heatsink/fan assembly

That should be it. The jack just kind of sits in there with a screw holding the yellow bit and a connector to the motherboard.

Here's the Hardware Maintenance Manual for a more detailed process: download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420_t420i_hmm.pdf

>luke smith
is groff a meme or is it worth learning if i never do anything maths related (LaTeX)?

The power jack on my X200s is a bit wobbly. I opened the case up just to look at it, and it doesn't seem to be fastened in place. One of the screen hinges is sort of holding it in place, but there aren't any fasteners for the jack, and it has a bit of leeway to move around.
Can and should I do anything about that? It feels a bit concerning, but I don't know if it's actually a problem.

Faster boot times combined with an ssd. Also free (as in freedom) obviously

power port is supposed to have a some wiggle to it, takes bumps better than if it were rigidly attached

LaTeX is a meme

can I use this?

ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo ThinkPad T420s Power Jack Replacement/41920

its for the t420s

The T420s is pretty significantly different internally than the T420. I'd suggest not.

>too fat for daily carry
Have you tried not being a limp wristed faggot?

Just read the HMM.

I currently have an old, shitty HP laptop (that I never use). It's slow as fuck and can barely open up Chrome anymore (used this mostly about two years ago before I was redpilled on Google and tfw keyloggers).
I need a new laptop because I potentially may be going into college soon, I've been writing a lot recently, and I would like to try out programming. On top of that, I would really like to use Linux with something that isn't my Desktop PC. Thinkpads look sexy as hell. Can someone recommend me one for these purposes?

TL;DR:
>budget
~$50-$250
>use
school, programming, writing
>OS
I'd like to use Linux
>would like
A decent-good amount of memory, decently fast, and have a decent amount of storage space for the use.

Looking at the W520 but I want to see if you could recommend something cheaper

Attached: Akiyama.gif (709x625, 1.82M)

You're probably better off with a T430 (or X230 if you want something really portable). They're a little bit cheaper, have better CPUs, way better iGPUs, and you can very easily mod the older keyboard onto them. T430 might end up being cheaper since you can get whatever the cheapest one you can find and just upgrade the CPU to a quad core(make sure it's a T430 and not a T430S). X230 I'd recommend getting at least the mid-range i5 3360M, but that's slightly more expensive. Basically all of the advantages of the W520 while being less bulky.

I think powertop depends on tlp.
Not sure about laptop-mode-tools but I'm pretty sure you can stack all of the above.
As far as extending battery life, there's always CPU frequency scaling.

Refurb T430 just arrived. Been downloading a Linux ISO. Why the FUCK do all refurbs come preinstalled with Windows? I couldn't believe how fucking long it took to get to the desktop because of windows startup manager. Corona(or whatever the fuck that thing is), etc/ etc/

IF YOU SELL REFURB THINKPADS INSTALL FUCKING LINUX ON THEM, UBUNTU OR SOMETHING FOR FUCKS SAKE

Now I have to go through this god awful process of downloading, making a usb live, and another installation. For fucks sake.

I just realized windows 10 has fucking autocorrect, what in the actual fuck. A giant fucking cellphone. Pathetic

Where can I buy a decently priced thinkpad in sweden? Found a t440s for 4500sek but that's way too much for a 5 year old computer.

Ideally i'd like something about 2 years old with an ssd, at least 16gb RAM and a decent enough screen for media consumption. Lightweight is also nice

>at least 16gb RAM
What do you plan on doing with it? Hardcore video editing?

Been looking at craigslist, but cant pick which one to buy. My choices are between a t540p which is almost brand new for $950 or a t420 which has nothing for $150. Should i pull the trigger on the t420 and buy a powercord of ebay or is the t540p a better choice?

Both of those are overpriced. The T540p hilariously so. Lurk ebay for deals.

what the fuck this t420 keyboard will not pop out

Did you remove both the screws from the bottom? It should push up and out.

the silver/white one that is half enclosed by black covering thing? Yeah its not moving at all

I have a T530i with i3-3110m.
What's the strongest quad core CPU I can put into it that won't melt my laptop?
i7-3610QM / i7-3720QM / i7-3820QM / i7-3920XM ?

Attached: INBvStO.png (506x662, 312K)

I plan on running qubes os plus maybe install another distro alongside it for software development