I want to ascend from python to C. what resources did you fags use to do this?

I want to ascend from python to C. what resources did you fags use to do this?

Attached: clang.png (792x1023, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

digikey.ca/products/en/rf-if-and-rfid/rf-evaluation-and-development-kits-boards/859?k=ez430&k=Chronos&pkeyword=ez430&sf=0&FV=ffe0035b&quantity=&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&pageSize=25
github.com/BenjaminSoelberg/openchronos-ng-elf
sourceforge.net/projects/brandy/
iso-9899.info/wiki/Main_Page
matt.sh/howto-c
cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academic/class/15213-f15/www/index.html
cs.cmu.edu/~15122/schedule.shtml
cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html
cert.org/secure-coding/publications/books/cert-c-secure-coding-standard.cfm?
dipmat.univpm.it/~demeio/public/the_c_programming_language_2.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the book you just posted

I found a gay daddy who taught me in exchange for using my asshole

Never by books. There are shit ton of tutorials and just fill the gaps by googling.

Attached: 32a67a5d0c0c2ad77649a63777e18414--extreme-close-up-shiba-inu.jpg (640x640, 47K)

JUST DO SHIT NIGGA

I hate this idea that there is a hierarchy of languages. Some langs are better than others, but in this case Python and C are typically used for completely different types of software.
You don't "ascend" to C. You learn C because you want to be exposed to a different way of programming. You can use Python to build a lot of cool shit, just as you can use C to do a lot. I suppose if you have a hard on for low level stuff, like drivers and operating systems, then dive deep into C.

i would normally agree with this, but because you already know how to program, a book is mostly good enough to learn the mechanics of the more unique features of c, namely pointers

I fucking hate this zoomer mentality. Not having a strong foundation in the fundamentals through this book will end up fucking you over and causing you more problems in the end. Every little problem you're just gonna get the answer spoon fed to you in stackoverflow. Can't wait till you fucking code monkeys are all automated away.

i quite literally almost bought this book today, in store.

decided against it because of thoughts similar to should i just pull the trigger and buy the book?

How's school for you?

smart people learn recursively

I took a class in C at a local CC, but if you know the fundamentals of programming it shouldnt be that hard to learn. You just gotta get comfy with pointers

Just pirate the fucking book.
Seriously.
Ritchie is dead, and kerningham won't earn anything of this book anyway.
All the money goes to the jew-publishers.

You can program everything in C, you can't in python.
Simple as that.

You posted it. Remember to move on to C++ before attempting anything important.

> C++
faggot

And the reason is sandboxes?

Where have I heard this before?

Motherfucker already knows how to program and last I checked stack overflow 99% won't give you your entire project. My point is why the fuck should he spend money on a book when there is free documentation and resources that he can Google anytime.

Plus it's faster than going through pages of shit you already know about.

Not really. A semi-famous counterexample is objc_msgsend(). It needs to be written in assembly because it’s a trampoline that calls another C function without moving the stack pointer.

Nah, get a copy. It's small enough to just pull out as a quick reference. I have a copy on my shelf from a few years back.

OP, get into microcontrollers. Get an Arduino, usbASP and some AVRs (like the DIP Atmega328). Learn how to control the damn thing, you only get C and are fiddling with bits all day. Keep your tasks small and take a look at the examples on the Arduino site to get into it easily, then try doing them with only a AVR.

It's a must have. Why not do both? Read the book and watch tutorials. Can't go wrong

Attached: dwh9xtc-1200x1619.jpg (1200x1619, 268K)

>wtf is the Jow Forumsentoomen torrent

Attached: 00.png (305x414, 37K)

Another option if you're looking to get into C is over in the watch thread. It's a development kit disguised as a wrist watch. There is even a fully open source firmware that is extensible for the damn thing!

digikey.ca/products/en/rf-if-and-rfid/rf-evaluation-and-development-kits-boards/859?k=ez430&k=Chronos&pkeyword=ez430&sf=0&FV=ffe0035b&quantity=&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&pageSize=25

github.com/BenjaminSoelberg/openchronos-ng-elf

Principles and practice of c++ covers all the c in c++, so you don’t really need k&r if you’re going on to c++ anyway.

MOOC

Linked lists. Nodes. Anything involving pointer manipulation. Python is nice as a general purpose scripting language but if you really want to get down and dirty with your code it's too high-level.

Brandy BASIC cource code
sourceforge.net/projects/brandy/

Attached: CPM_CLUB13.png (986x849, 55K)

>namely pointers
I thought threading was where it got interesting.

this but unironically
boomers are too retarded to teach

yeah threading is definitely different, but a lot of people simply don't understand pointers because they were never taught the fundamentals of what they are and their significance. i see so many people unironically say shit like "i didn't use any pointers at all since it's so much easier". and someone coming from python definitely needs the entire lesson on pointers. with threading, you can see usage to understand, but pointers are just too fundamental to intuitively understand the intricacies just from looking at usage.

C Programming: A Modern Approach 2nd edition is the best C book of them all.

Do not read this book if you want an easy introduction, the first code will litteraly throw you an error when compiling because the book has'nt been updated for new versions of C. Retyping the book for new versions of C could be a good project.

Compared to pointers (which are super easy to understand) threading is like nothing. It is not even worth mentioning.

input on this please

>spend money
>book
Oh ho ho ho ho ho

What youbposted OP
There is an oreilly book called modern C something..
And studying source code in github for patterns in code structure

>should I learn from the book written by the creators of the language themselves?
>nah just google random tutorials made by Pajeet

This book and the K.N. King book on C Programing are very good as well as The Practice of Programming, also by Professor Kernighan

Hey, that's from a recent thread about 50-70dmg sword vs 1-120dmg axe.

oh i dont think you have. i just pulled that out of my ass.

here all you need:
iso-9899.info/wiki/Main_Page
remember Jow Forums is for larping.

not if you are using GCC, it will only warn you

I don't know python. I personally started with BBC BASIC, and then moved to C from there.

anyway I learned by looking up stuff on google, usually finding a TutorialsPoint page or other similar tutorial site that explained whatever I wanted to understand.
I also did a lot of experiments to verify that I understood what I was reading from those tutorial sites. and when I tried something and it didn't work as I expected, then I went looking for information about that particular thing so I could learn and understand it.

KN King's is the best I have found and I have at least half a dozen C books.

Don't throw around phrases to appear smart, it does the opposite. Python has built-in garbage collection and manages memory for you, so pointers are not required. Also Python is a pass-by-reference intepreted language, so mutability is a thing. Down and dirty puts icing on the cake. Just go play Fortnite and stop pretending to be someone you are clearly not.

Find a practical application and use. I started with microcontrollers, since memory and speed constraints really play a role in embed environment. Also be prepared to spend a few years before you can say that you really know C. Learning C just to become a better programmer is a meme. Think about your future employability prospects - nobody will want to hire someone who hasn't written a single line of practical C and calls themselves proficient in C. Start with understanding why Linux kernel finally got rid of variable-length arrays. Then look at the idea of learning C in hindsight. Think again.

I read it and it's pretty good, but if you really want to learn modern C you might as well read K&R and then matt.sh/howto-c

>but in this case Python and C are typically used for completely different types of software
Most of the Python standard library is written in C, like the date time module for example.
While they're often used in different ways in industry, there's still a large amount of overlap. In some ways learning C might improve his Python, at least in the sense that he can read through core modules and understand what's going on. Or he could add in C to programs that would be Python only, for a performance boost.

cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academic/class/15213-f15/www/index.html

Fuck off pajeet.

what benefits are there to learning so-called ANSI C today instead of C99/C11?

(almost) everything that is valid ANSI C is also valid C99 or C11. And unlike C++, it's all stuff that you will do programming C day to day.

The difference isn't that great. ANSI C is mostly used for legacy stuff, so you only need to learn what's different.

>(almost)
please elaborate?

>Buy

Just Google pointers, structs, stack and heap. Good. Now you know C

Not him, but:
- Functions without a defined return type will default to int
- It's allowed to call functions that aren't declared/prototyped
- You can implicitly cast between pointer types and integers

ha-ha, your language is dying!

thank you user, I guess that's where the "no return type, defaulting to int" comes from when the C++ compiler gets horribly confused

I took C repos and implemented them in C++, adding thread support and C++17 syntax to C function callbacks. There are many ways to learn it user, but they all involve doing something in C. Just program something in C instead of python and Google whatever you don't know.

Explain

Kernighan's latest book

Attached: 20181027_050637.jpg (3264x1836, 1.58M)

>Thinks he can get college level info from YouTube videos.
You will get a much Sounder foundation from a book.

This. Been playing with Python for two months. Looking to get into C. Got to the chapter on C... wanted to weep like a baby.

I can't yet seem to understand pointers. I think this is what happens when you start with "easy" languages. Are pointers like, to use an analogy, the equivalent of desktop shortcuts?

Attached: 20181027_050534.jpg (3264x1836, 1.72M)

Sure.
Using the * operator is like double clicking the shortcut. Using the & operator is like making a new shortcut to something.

C++ From Problem Analysis To Program Design, 8th Ed

DS Malik

Gay daddy here. Can confirm. Now put it back in.

====================================================================

Step 1: Read K&R, realize the style of declarations used in it won't be used today but it still is the definitive resource on how to read a declaration/bracket order operations ect.

Step 2: Read these lecture notes, slides/additional resources cs.cmu.edu/~15122/schedule.shtml

Step 3: Watch these lectures, read the course book (click on 'old lectures') cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html

Step 4: Read this modern C guide matt.sh/howto-c

Final step: Read this and use for reference cert.org/secure-coding/publications/books/cert-c-secure-coding-standard.cfm?

That's all you need. K&R will teach you what is undefined behavior. 15-122 will teach you to write safe programs and how to analyze existing programs. 15-213 will teach you what C looks like at the assembly level, stack frames, two's complement representation, floating point ect. That 'How to C in 2016' guide will teach you how modern C is written to avoid classic C problems like throwing around char's and ints. The CERT guide is a good desktop book to have around to make sure the shit you are writing cannot under any circumstances lead to undefined behavior. Whatever project you decide to contribute to after doing all this to obtain base competence in modern C programming, they will have a contributor's style guide which you must read like the kernel.org style guide or OpenBSD man style

====================================================================

Attached: dmr.jpg (660x480, 73K)

thanks user

Fight me.

Attached: schlidt.jpg (405x500, 34K)

>C++
>Herbert Schildt
I'm not sure which is worse.

Do problems you find online then get some kind of Arduino hardware and make something. I did an Arduino TV remote controlled car and a heart rate monitor that calculated BPM and stuff like that.

You should pick it up quite fast given you're good at python already.

I used pic related in the OP as well as C in a Nutshell from O'Reilly.

dipmat.univpm.it/~demeio/public/the_c_programming_language_2.pdf
Here's that whole book in PDF form for free. Read it and your understanding will be pretty keen.

C is shit, don't fall for the memes. People who have jobs use C++. Rust has pretty similar performance. The NEETs on here shilling for it only use it for fizzbuzzes or whatever,

>what resources did you fags use to do this?
High school

I use C for my job. If you're doing embedded or systems programming you're probably using C. If you're doing embedded or systems programming in C++, you're probably doing it wrong.

why buy books when you can go to a library and rent them.

C is shit. Learn Java instead.

Apples and oranges. C and Java are vastly different languages (normally) used for vastly different things.

Literally just read the book
or learn c extensions
C isn't hard to understand
just because C++ is a fucking bungled mess doesn't mean c is

This guy is probably not going to do embedded or systems programming. That's not something most people are interested in. There are many programming languages that are both easier to use and have far less esoteric use cases.