/hsg/ - home server general

Last thread was 10 days ago: warosu.org/g/thread/S68130415

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why, then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 165K)

my scrub finished a few hours ago. feels gud

So guys whats your setup and how much you spend on it?
Iam searching for some ideas from you, how to build up my own one.
The XU4Q has no sata for a wd red, so I have to handle it with usb3, is this really comfy enough?

I bought a used R710 on ebay a couple years ago. it was about $1300 but fully loaded, new drives/raid card, full ram slots, ready to go. it was loud as fuck but I learned how to control the fans thankfully. I love it and it does anything I throw at it. 18TB raw space and I got it in raid-z2.

Attached: screenshot.2018-10-29 02.47.40.png (900x279, 9K)

FreeNAS 11.2 Beta 3
AMD Athlon X4 880K
8 Go DDR3 1600
3x2 To raid5

Run some SMB, iSCSI, and iocage Deluge daemon.

Attached: 20161028_172107.jpg (3000x1688, 610K)

>WD Reds
Unrelated to servers but I bought an external hard drive with two 8TB reds in it. They seem pretty reliable but I've also always heard that hard drives over 2TB fuck up more.

Is that a Carbide 100r?

It's a Antec P280.

>finally decide to build a homeserver
>get all the networking set up, cables through the walls, the whole nine yards
>oh yeah, forgot I sold my old hardware
It was literally cheaper to get new low power hardware than getting used parts in this country (not shitting you, people here will not sell 1st gen i7's + board below 300€ for instance).
In any case, should be decent enough to learn how to set up and manage server tasks on my own, I really plan to move up and not stay working in helpdesk forever.

My NanoPi with Nextcloud crashes every 2-3 days. It's just getting hot and I cannot access it via SSH or UART. It's stuck doing something until I manually restart it. I checked dmesg and /var/log but nothing interesting there.
The computer is running up to date Ubuntu Core 4.14.
How to debug that shit? I'm clueless.

Attached: heil_gnu.jpg (349x306, 58K)

>green cx
>in a server
jesus user

thats nice. but how much do you pay for electricity costs by 24/7 active? Iam searching for some cheap stuff with low costs on electricity.

is it in 24/7 active?

I wonder when they'll reveal the price for the blackbird.

A relative is willing to freely give me four G34 mobos loaded with 16-core Opteron 6276 (can't remember the total amount of CPUs). Other than selling them on eBay or mining Monero, is there any way I can make some money off of them?
He told me the last thing he did with them is indeed mine Monero, but an update (or a fork?) made CPU mining less profitable and the 6276 do not cover electric costs anymore. He keeps mining on GPUs now.
I thought about hosting websites or game servers. Are these CPUs even good enough? I know that their single threaded performance is way behind equivalent Xeons. Also, my house has a dynamic IP. In our country dynamic IP is the norm, and mostly business lines get static IP.
Sorry if my question is against the spirit of these threads. I just want to put these good beasts to use and cover their power draw costs.

Attached: 64a.jpg (917x768, 295K)

I got rid of a dual G34 board a few years ago because they were simply shit compared to the Xeon alternatives. They're not worth it now. They weren't really worth it when they were new either.

My R710 came for 200€ with 6x 1TB in RAID 0 and pic related.
I bought a RAID 10 capable card for 15€ on ebay. Now I need to buy more RAM.

Where the cheaper place to buy ECC DDR3?

Attached: file.png (759x247, 28K)

Cool it

I only turn it off when I leave for work for several days.

This is only a personal archive and storage server.

Okay well.
I have looked up for a MicroServer Gen7 from HP and olde rversion for low budget it's enough for me (~120€) and the electricity costs are lower as I would build up a PC extra for that.
I just want to use it as a private storage and archive server too

Attached: n54l.jpg (1100x385, 113K)

god wouldn't it be great to have 24x X5670s

>I bought a RAID 10 capable card for 15€ on ebay.
You don't want to use the RAID10 of the card. Use md[adm] RAID, and probably just go with RAID6 or RAID5.

a dual Opteron 6276 gets a higher cinebench multithread score than a Ryzen 1700. obviously it gulps much more power, but it is also much cheaper and can stack more RAM and has more PCIe lanes.

no, don't do that either. use zfs raidz

ZFS RAIDZ is slow and still can't add/remove drives or change RAID level.

Its properly cooled, I'm using NanoPi Neo OLED kit with radiator and metal case. By getting hot I mean 50-60C, computer is completely unresponsive. Looks like software issue, but I have no idea what to check desu

>You don't want to use the RAID10 of the card.
Why not? it works fine and it's fast.

Name of cooler?

>scrub finishes
>one WD Red disk with errors
>it's from 2012
Welp, it lasted 6 years at least.

What does Jow Forums have against Seagate Barracuda HDDs?
Most of the data in my on my media server is stored on those 3 TB models. Should I be worried?

Because the tooling is much poorer than with mdadm, which should also work and be fast. Also, RAID10 is usually just worse than RAID6.

The Seagates I had between 1TB and 4TB were not very reliable. Worst of which were the 1.5TB. But they might have fixed this long ago, >4TB were all normal again.

If you already have them, no reason to act - just keep them in your array / cloud until they fail.

anyone have a rockpro64? I'm considering it as a sort of desktop replacement. if it's roughly on par with a ThinkPad X220, that would be nice.

I'm not sure it's roughly on par with that, but it should be able to run desktop linux for media use and stuff okay from what I can tell.