Is 'certified refurbished' stuff a scam? Should you just save some money and get used or do they really work on them?

Is 'certified refurbished' stuff a scam? Should you just save some money and get used or do they really work on them?

Attached: 3b66e3d3-d45d-45b3-9a04-75dce5b4ac57_screenshot.jpg (1130x480, 37K)

Its a hit or miss. As long as it's covered under warranty from the manufacturer you can get it replaced or fixed.

Buying used is good if you want to save money and or spare parts are easy to get, but may not be underwarranty.

Attached: __fujiwara_no_mokou_touhou_drawn_by_shangguan_feiying__7667f8e320d8afc757186beaf385b2e3.jpg (420x500, 125K)

The issue is that I won't be able to return since I'm living out of the country, but I'm set in my ways and like the feel of the laptop I'm using and they don't sell it new anymore. Does refurbished extend the expected lifespan at all or should I expect the same years from a used-very good computer as a certified refurbished one?

>like the feel of the laptop I'm using and they don't sell it new anymore
Is it something other than a ThinkPad?

It's a Dell Latitude E6410.

I've heard horror stories of refurbished laptops failing after a couple months and having to go through customer service hell to try to get them fixed. I've heard refurbs being the next comming of Jesus and a good deal. Certified refurbs usually get a spit shine and a markdown. Very few manufacturers replace components in a machine unless it's a part that won't make a dent on their return on investment. They can last as long as any machine if you take care of them and can get them serviced

Since you are going out of country, if anything happens to your refurb you can be fucked. Same with used laptops but at a lesser price. It's your call if you want to take the risk. Personally, if your laptop is still in decent shape and you don't use it as step stool, you should be fine.

>E6410
I've got like 20 Dell Latitudes I'm looking to get rid of.

Specifically:
10 Dell Latitude 3330
7 Dell Latitude E5410
3 Dell Latitude E5400

>Personally, if your laptop is still in decent shape and you don't use it as step stool, you should be fine.
I like to think I treat it right but it's gotten hot as hell lately to the point there was a smell like plastic burning before I replaced the thermal paste. Now there's no smell but it still gets hot as Hell when it didn't used to. Battery's also dying but I don't give a shit about that. What's got me nervous is an intermittent clicking sound which makes me think the HDD is dying.

I think I'll just get a used on just in case, one in 'very good' condition, and keep it as a spare? If refurbishing doesn't extend the life of it.

>I replaced the thermal paste
Did you check to make sure there was nothing clogging the heatsink or intake?

If you have the budget I'd say go for it and keep your old laptop on the side. Otherwise, either replace your hard drive
OR
Grab a new laptop hard drive, a external hard drive enclosure, and keep it on the side as a back up if your current hard drive fails.

For the clicking noise, if it's coming from the HDD I'd be sketched asf. Another possibility is maybe the optical drive is being fucky if you have one

Yeah. The thermal paste was spent. On the other hand the air intake only had a bit of dust in it. Certainly nothing that could explain why the Hell it was getting and still is getting so hot all of a sudden. I'm kind of wondering if I had a bitcoin miner installed or something but the only way I can think of how to check for something like that (malware bytes) says everything is fine.

>only way I can think of how to check for something like that
starting it in safe mode would be one way to check for that, if it still runs as hot in safe mode then your CPU might be failing.Even if you didn't overclock, high heat tends to kill CPUs and GPUs alike.

It does have an optical drive but I don't feel like that's where the clicking is coming from. External hard drive enclosure is a bit more than a basic bitch style dude like me can handle, and I already back up everything important to an external HDD every couple of weeks.

Honestly it'd make more sense to just upgrade to an E6420 or 30 since the price isn't that different, but I use this laptop for writing and they keyboard layout is different, and I'm super superstitious about getting blocked while I'm getting used to the new layout since it's not like I've got a ton of drive and inspiration to begin with. But that's not Jow Forums, I'm just bringing it up to explain why I'm being irrational.

That might be it, the CPU thing. It doesn't start off hot, it just eventually gets hot and stays hot while I'm doing casual web browsing. The most I can do without it eventually getting hot is opening a word doc. I can still do all the shit I used to do on it (which wasn't much), maybe emulating SNES and GBA games at most, watching HD video, that sort of shit. But the hot air blowing out from under the damn keys isn't something that used to happen, and neither was the drag on performance.

you should Install Speccy, and show us the temps it's reading. I used to have an i5 520M in my ThinkPad T410 swapped it out for a used i7 640M. Mind you the i7s is supposed to run hotter than the i5s, and the screenshot is from after both being idle for atleast 20 mins.

Attached: T410 before and after.png (1800x600, 510K)

I'm not sure I'll have time tonight, especially since the lappy is relatively cool right now. If you could hook me up with some basic info, what kind of temperatures should my lappy not be getting to? Like, what's the treshhold where if it goes past that even under load, you know something's wrong?

at Idle, with nothing obstructing the fan, heatsink, and air intake It should be running beteen 40-45 degrees Celsius. I'll put my T410 under load using Prime95 and I'll post a Speccy of it in 5 mins.

I believe you, but it's two in the morning for me so I gotta turn in for sure. With just normal extended web browsing and video watching what should it be? But what I'm most worried about is that magic number, the danger zone where it shouldn't be that hot no matter what you're doing and it's dangerous and bad for the computer. That's what I'm most concerned about. If you can think of a number, I'll definitely check this thread tomorrow to find out with the archive. If you can help I'd be grateful, but if you can't then still thanks just for giving it a shit.

No worries I'll just post Max stress temps and a normal web browsing temps and you can just check to see if your temps match in the (later) morning.

Thanks man.

Normal web use

all 3 youtube videos running at 1080p 60fps at the same time with a few tabs open and a JS heavy in-browser flowchart maker.

Attached: T410 normal web browsing.png (1280x800, 201K)

Normal app usage with a 1080p HEVC/x265 10bit video playing and libreoffice writer and calc running.

Attached: T410 normal weeaboo use.png (1280x800, 656K)

Max stress temps with prime95, throttles when it goes over 95 degrees Celsius.

Attached: T410 max temp test.png (1280x800, 521K)

I stayed up a bit longer. Thanks again man, I'll check my temps tomorrow with these as the example for a properly functioning lappy.