Vidya Programming

>Want game/graphics programming thread
>/vg/ is too casual
>Jow Forums is too technical

Where's the middle ground?

Attached: john_530_big.jpg (410x328, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.unity3d.com/2018/03/26/releasing-the-unity-c-source-code/
mathsci.wikia.com/wiki/The_Haruhi_Problem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp
harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /linus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Hurr durr I'm a brainlet
>you have to go back
>>>/reddit/

>Jow Forums is too technical
Jow Forums is brainlet central full of people who pretend to know what they are talking about.

I think you're smart user (^ x ^ )d

This hits too close to home

Attached: 1436191952418.png (246x246, 85K)

There used to be an amateur game dev general on /vg/ that I thought was okay. I guess it's dead now though.

this

I'd contribute to this thread if you started it, so talk about something

What's not technical about graphics programming?

I made a sick pong clone using SDL so I'm pretty much an expert, AMA.

>implying that's not /sci/

What do you think is too technical, OP.

t. Assuming we're in the same situation.

it's every Jow Forums board

Did you use Frustrum Culling?

I made reversi in curses, does that count? It even have netcode to play against friend!

I feel like threads on any other boards don't necessarily go into the deeper programming aspects.

You mean /vg/? /vg/ is a fucking shithole. These are people that don't want to put in the effort to learn. They want to live in their parents basement forever until they release a game instead of trying to work for a company like someone that knows the value of money and freedom.

/sci/ recently got media attention for proving shit
PhD mathematicians are literally citing "Anonymous from Jow Forums" now.

Nearly every game company is shit

that's one person, the board can't take credit

THAT'S WHAT THE MONEY'S FOR

Was it this?

Attached: The_Haruhi_Problem.jpg (1000x1024, 272K)

what do you mean?
All AAA studios have bad working conditions and the games they produce are shit. There's very little smaller studios to work for unfortunately

It's not that they don't learn, it's that they're mainly focused on using pre-made engines and libraries.

Yes.

Strange to see how much attention 'crunching' has been getting in the industry.
It would be interesting to see what exactly are the project bottlenecks in AAA development. My money would be on programming. Would be interesting to delve into the C++ and Lua solutions for that.

The bottlenecks are the large volume of art that needs to be produced
I guess it's just sensationalism, everyone crunches but this is apparently the first time the current generation has heard of it. There was a big deal about EA doing it a decade ago

I feel as if assets can be managed more readily than code as opposed to creation.
But the code acts as a roadblock at times, or has the capacity to. All the technical post-mortems talk about day to week long bugs and ridiculous build times and compilation effecting iteration times.

Code is way more unpredictable, but it also takes less manpower and a formulatic game might not even need that much code modification from their previous project - Art is just pure work that needs to be hammered out and there's no way of getting around that, AAA games sell on their artwork

14!

>old Jow Forums , old user.

Nuchan sucks

lua for scripting, xml for data

Gamers are faggots and game devs are brainlets.

Thanks for the redpill Jow Forumsman

>C++ and C#
>Windows
>Speedrunning

Works out. How do we un-faggot gaming?

/agdg/ is for faggots that use unity and have no clue about programming at all. Drag&drop is not development. We need a technical vidya development thread in Jow Forums.

Make a game in Haskell that only works on Linux and jerk yourself off over it

Don't be so excited. 14 is obviously way too low.

Well there's one right here but nobody will post anything because Jow Forums is all cs students talking shit about things they have no experience in

Linux is a kernel.

what the fuck is a kernel

like corn but for nerds

>Jow Forums
>too technical
nigga what. 90% of posts in the daily programming threads is CS homework tier. there is nothing 'too technical' on this board.

Yeah go ahead write a game in a functional programming language.
HAHAHA fucking brainlet.

Unity is not drag & drop.
It uses C#, a professional programming language used globally in the tech industry. It requires more programming than Unreal which uses a visual medium called Blueprints.

Engine development is not video game development.

>uses C#, a professional programming language used globally in the tech industry
>c#
>programming real time 3d applications
>"duhh why is my simple pong made in unity requires 2gb ram and a fucking i5?"

So how the FUCK do I make a game?

blueprints are programming

All programming languages and development is largely focused around using libraries and pre-made API's. That's the entire strength of programming. You built upon others knowledge.

Re-inventing the wheel for no apparent reason is counter productive.

Umm excuse me but real games in Unreal are written in C++
C# is an interpreted programming language that can easily be decompiled, and if you use obfuscation you will lose tons of performance.

Blueprints are for code monkey commoners or rapid prototyping to reduce compile times.
Unreal also gives you the complete engine source code. I can modify the engine to suit my game. Show me where unity does that.

I didn't say it wasn't. I said it's less involved than using a real IDE in a real language to program. You can get jobs with .NET. You cannot get jobs in Blueprints.

>Using a high-end sophisticated tool such as Unity, aimed at commercial game development for pong.
Well, You've only yourself to blame for such retardation.

His joke is C# and Unity are yuppy languages that are incredibly wasteful for what should be realtime applications as close to ASM on hardware as possible.
You may as well just program your game in javscript, the most efficient superior gaming programming language on the market.

>real games in Unreal are written in C++
Unreal doesn't use actual C++. It's more like macros.

>C# is an interpreted programming language that can easily be decompiled
Any game can be easily decompiled. Mods and hacks are made all the time, regardless of the game. Using C++ because you're afraid someone is going to alter your game is fucking stupid.
>Unreal also gives you the complete engine source code. I can modify the engine to suit my game
If you need to make constant "modifications" to UE4, then you should be making your own engine from scratch. You should only ever need a reference to the source to understand how something is implemented.

>Show me where unity does that.
blogs.unity3d.com/2018/03/26/releasing-the-unity-c-source-code/

you dont need ASM performance for shitty indie video games

Sure, everyone says that and they all end up with 10fps multiplayer survival rpgs with crafting.

most of those games are just badly programmed period
there's alot of autism around getting max performance in games programming but the truth is if you are just a good programmer you can make something with decent performance even in inefficient programs like Unity

Exactly, so you yuppies in nodejs, electron, C#, etc... have everything you need. a fantasy tic tac toe anime sim that runs like garbage.

I'm not interested with lead heads.

Unity isn't a language. It's an API.

>incredibly wasteful
This isn't the 90's. 99.9% games performance absolutely fine in C#. Most of the heavy load in games is GPU-expensive(high poly models), not CPU(scripts). Unless your game is trying to simulate dynamic fluid viscosity or some other state of the art complex process, then C# is fine.

And the engine is not open so you can't change how high poly models are drawn, optimized, or apply custom gpu tricks in it. Retard.

I develop low-level engines with performance in mind, I'm just being realistic in saying that you rarely need it, if you have some 2D game or a 3D overhead game that doesn't have a huge difference you can use a slow scripting language

*huge draw distance

>apply custom gpu tricks in it
I'd like to know what kind of application-specific GPU tricks you have in mind that can't be included in your own shader program and need to be built into the game engine on a low level

>And the engine is not open so you can't change how high poly models are drawn, optimized, or apply custom gpu tricks in it.
The engine is open-source as ready-only, so you can read how its implemented, and if you have a better way to do it, then submit a request in the git.

If your method is better than the $120k salaried engine devs working at Unity, then perhaps you'll be offered a job. It's happened before. Plenty of devs have made performance assets that became popular and ended up working at Unity.

Chances are, you're just a fucking idiot grasping at straws in an argument.

Lads, how the FUCK do I make a game? Please respond.

download Gamemaker or Unity and follow the tutorials

>If your method is better than the $120k salaried engine devs working at Unity, then perhaps you'll be offered a job. It's happened before. Plenty of devs have made performance assets that became popular and ended up working at Unity.

Why the fuck would any person want to work at Unity?

1. DOWNLOAD UNITY
2. DOWNLOAD VISUAL STUDIO
3. BOOKMARK C# REFERENCE
4. BOOKMARK UNITY API REFERENCE
5. MAKE GAME

No. It uses C++. The macros are only for interfacing with the prebuilt engine c++ code and are incredibly useful for exposing your c++ objects into the editor.
You can skip using the default engine code and implement your c++ code directly into your game, or add your code into the engine, or modify existing engine code.
You are sadly mistaken.

I'm not going to build a car from scratch if I just want to change out the tires and put a different sound system in, you blithering moron. Do you have any idea how complicated the physics portion of the engine is alone? Unreal engine have been around since 1999 I'm not going to spend the upwards of 20 years rewriting something just to make a few modifications you fucking brainlet.

>Engine is also in C#
Hahahaha. Ahh well at least it's available....

Yeah but they can use RPG maker and whatever else, and we get to make fun of them for using tinker toy programming languages. That's the pecking order.

my pecking order is whether you've made a decent game or not but whatever makes you feel superior to other people

I've been making a game in C for that past year
it started off fun

Can I not use C# with unity?

I'm working on it. I'm really working hard on it.

I don't think so, not anymore, you used to be able to use JavaScript

>mfw i'm pretending to be 3 different anons in this thread

Attached: apu2.jpg (1698x1140, 185K)

Unity has like C# the most popular, then javascript or some proprietary unity script language.

UE4 has a visual blueprint editor and C++.

Just throw some shit together in Unity

Attached: yandev.png (828x801, 149K)

What if we did it in a custom Lisp dialect running on Minix instead?

C# is dumb because everything is a class, but the only class on offer is "Dumb Language Design 101".

People have actually used Lisp in games so it's not useless enough

this sounds like "I don't understand it therefore it sucks"

Or "It's design philosophy is fundamentally flawed" but potatoes tomatoes.

Back before Linus T. was a snowflake he would blast even C++ programmers claiming how C was superior.

Should you reinvent the wheel? You should.
For reinvention may be worth nothing in the end, but perhaps learning how the spokes, axles and weights work can lead to improvements.

If no one even reinvented the wheel, you'd still be rolling wheel rocks.

classes aren't fundementally flawed

is it 14 * 13 * 12 ... * 2 * 1?

No. At that point you are just making excuses so you can piddle and claim it's for science in order to justify it.

I've seen some fairly small games running on nothing but a few hundred lines of code backed by simple Windows GDI code that couldn't be more than another few hundred at best as a wrapper, running at 15 FPS after a 45 second compile at even the simplest of prototype setups.

Clearly something is wrong.

I don't know the specifics but that would have overlaps so it isn't complete.

mathsci.wikia.com/wiki/The_Haruhi_Problem

give people any freedom to fuck up a program and somebody out there will do it, doesn't mean the tool itself is flawed

I've only ever heard of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp
Listening to Naughty Dog talk about their Lisp legacy code is strange though. They have some sort of compilation thing where their Lisp takes forever.

harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /linus

>C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot
>of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much
>easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if
>the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out,
>that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.

>C++ leads to really really bad design choices. You invariably start using
>the "nice" library features of the language like STL and Boost and other
>total and utter crap, that may "help" you program, but causes...

I thought we were talking about C#

Or it could be, "I understand why it sucks".

It does when the tools cater to people like them and garbage practices that suck others toward poor design.

Coupling data and functions is inherently flawed.

I am, try to use your brain as a parallel where C is C++ and C++ is C#. I am being patient with you because I understand you have autism.

Unity doesn't suck people towards bad design, any tool that gives you the freedom gives you the freedom to fuck up, if you want to argue that bad programmers should be gated from programming altogether by making tools hard to use that's another thing entirely

How I decompile a game like Silent Hill 3 PC ver.?

C# isn't related to either of those languages. Its name is a misnomer. It's more like Java than anything else

not really, functionality is often associated with data types

Hahaha. Tell me that when you deal with outsourced indian code monkeys.
Do you like to program or cleanup cow shit on a farm?
That will decide the programming languages you use.