How often do you format your PC?

How often do you format your PC?
I used to do it 3 times a year, but I've grown really tired of it.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1152x720, 42K)

Once every literally never

Maybe once in a decade.

DEPENDS (obviously)

When I buy a new drive.
Current install is from august 2013, previous drive was a hitachi and faulted hardcoar. RIP Music collection, silly me for not having backups

Only if I decide to change the partitions, and only the system drive obviously.

just figured out windows bypasses DNS for name resolution with netbios-ns today. firewall external connections to 137-139,445 y'all, don't be like me.

Attached: 2000% mad.jpg (500x738, 37K)

As I'm not a Wintard, I don't need to format my drive just to keep my system running fast. Even when I jack everything up, things remain nice and snappy.

Only someone who doesn't know how to maintain a system would need to format windows to keep it snappy.
If that was your experience I'm afraid you might be retarded.

Test

>3 times a year
Why? I formated my PC back in 2013 or so when I got a new CPU/motherboard and again in 2017 when I also upgraded the CPU/motherboard.

how do i maintain it?
it always gets slow after a year or less

learn your msconfig and your services.
You must be on top of everything that your computer is running, and when something is off, you kill that process or deal with it.
Some useful tools are regcleaner and unlocker.
Regcleaner should be second nature to you.

Yeah, just let me manually clean up the train wreck that is the registry so my system doesn't run like shit after normal use. Oh wait, that'll take so much time that it'll get fucked up faster than I can unfuck it.

>needing tools to keep your operating system from shitting all over itself
>needing tools that might accidentally break your operating system beyond repair

Basically never for my linux boxes, but once a year for my old XP machine. Who knows what gets in there these days.

>I was too stupid to use this OS right so I left
>let me throw a shallow excuse as to why this OS is bad that clearly shows I never learned how to use it.

>needing tools
Unless you run a kernel alone you need tools to do anything at all, retard.
I bet you think that using pipes to search within a text file is a miracle of computing and the summit of what an operating system should aspire to.

Whenever it starts slowing down or buggers up where reinstalling is faster.
Windows Registry is garbage. I'll be glad when windows 7 is dead so I can move to Linux or OS X Hackintosh.
Then I will never have to reload.

Let me be more specific. Third party tools. Windows has some of the most outdated, lacking, or completely absent tools. It can't clean its own registry, partitioning is a total bitch, and dealing with drivers is hilariously bad. Windows comes with almost no first party tools that are worth a shit. You have to go to somebody else for somebody to do nearly everything better.

literally every weekend for the last 4 years, but then again my OCD is quite clinical

Won't disagree with that, however there is nothing wrong with using third party tools.
Part of being a good admin is knowing what to do, regardless of how many tasks could be done with the vanilla system or needed a 3party tool.

Every couple years.

I used to do it when I switched drives, but I just clone my drives now if I want to upgrade from my current storage.

I reformat my VM every time I log off for the day. It take a few minutes to rebuild it every morning but it’s important that the CIA niggers don’t have chance to get my data

Never. Still using my Win 7 install from 2011.

This.

linux just works

Unironically where Windows 10 actually excels.

It's up to date directly from install, and ready to go.

You can reformat into a working OS within 30 mins

It took me literally 6 hours to inject USB and NVMe drivers into an iso for installation, another 6 hours of setting up my computer.

No thanks.

You could always use sysprep.

Wow, rest of the world figured this out in 1993. I estimate irt might dawn on you to knock out LLMNR and mDNS too by 2040.

This. I'm down with . If you're not a (f)re(e)tard, you don't have this problem.

>I am an idiot this is windows' fault: the post
20% of Jow Forums consists of these, but this is the frontrunner this hour.

No. Sysprep gays out far too often - it does like to break things outside its purview*, and requires you to keep precustomised WIMs around. Nah, just learn how setupcomplete.cmd works, and be happy.

* It's actually the programs gaying out and breaking because they're relying on something way outside their purview that Sysprep changes. But hey, if something breaks on Windows - even if it's some borderline-malware app coded by 5 year-old Pajeets, even if the user overwrites every second sector on their boot disk - that's Windows' fault, amirite?

There is literally no reason to ever have to format a linux install

xp - 2008-2014
win 8.1 - 2014-%currentyear%
never format

I can think of three: "replace with ".

Everytime I get a new computer

Every 6-12 months. I last did it to move to Windows 10 LTSC a few weeks ago and plan to stick with this at least through the spring update to see if it adds anything worth having.

with windows i would consider it after about a year and a half or when making major hardware changes
now i use linux and have been using the same arch installation since 2013

Never. I did have to do it once since Windows 7 just randomly began lagging for no reason after a year.

I used to regularly, but care less and less the older I get.

Next install will probably be a full-time, perm migration to some *nix distro

I've stopped formatting after switching to Linux, it just stays fast

Never
Linux does not fuck up like windows

iktf. i've done it about 100 times this year alone.

Either never or two times. I did do a minimal factory reset on both computers I've owned after I initially purchased them but I don't think that counts as reformat.

Once a week

Never. Win 10 doesn't require it unless you install spyware like it's 2003, I guess.

I have no idea what the fuck you're doing to make it get slow. Mine doesn't get one bit slower even after years of constant use.

Attached: 1504011219319.png (951x1074, 1.53M)

Why would you do that? I only did it once like half a year ago because my Common Sense™ stopped working and I got a virus.

I guess you've never used linux.