Three Years Old, 30.4 TBW SSD

Am I fucked? How long do I have, doctor Jow Forums?

Attached: threeyearsold.jpg (870x476, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/news-story/endurance-test-of-samsung-850-pro-comes-to-an-end-after-9100tb-of-writes.html
anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dunno, maybe something between 0,5-1PBW

You have 12 seconds left

That's nothing really. I have 110tb in 3 years. Expecting at least 500+ before any type of slowdown or issue.

Ah, typical Samsung to omitt any percentages and instead say "drive status: GOOD"

Seagate does the same thing

I've seen some threads about SSD failures pop up recently.

But maybe that was just HDD shills shilling.

Here is my SSD after 2 and a half years.

Attached: 2018-10-15 09_18_36.png (239x262, 55K)

If you care, just look up the specs of your drive.

Mine for example is a 950 Pro 256GB, it's rated for 200TB over 5 years.

In about half that time it's written 50TB, so only 25% of it's rated life in about 50% of it's warranty period.

OP, as said here , if you look up your drive (850 Evo 500GB), it's rated for 150TB over 5 years, in 3 years, you're only at 30TB, a whopping ~20% of it's rated lifespan, in about 60% of it's warranty period.

Huh, I thought i'd get more written by now. But it's only running OS and games. Everything else is from HDD.

Attached: Capture.jpg (1723x976, 148K)

it's since 2013.

When techreport tested SSDs, the samsung TLC drive lasted for 900TBW before failing. Since your drive is twice as big, it should theoretically last twice as long.

Attached: 1523951997044.gif (618x326, 11K)

>But it's only running OS and games.
>2013
same exact duties as this drive. Only difference is I got it in 2016. I also have 1gbps internet and torrent a lot, so that probably contributes to high number of writes.

I save only on HDD and install on SSD later. My rate is about 500-700gb per month.

>My rate is about 500-700gb per month
I'm downloading ~1-2TB per month, sometimes more than that, but not lately.

we have some 120gb 750 evos at work that are rated for 35TB that are up to 120tb written and still going strong. been sitting at 1% remaining life for fucking ages.
they never really die the writes just slow down to unusable speeds

Funny how the HDD jew spread so much disinformation and propaganda about SSD lifespans. It's almost like they're fearing for their lives.

So are you guys just richfags or good at photoshop?

what did he mean by this

Around three years here, although my desktop is not on here so not a lot writes.

Attached: sss.png (695x128, 17K)

>SSDs
>richfags

wut? the 950 Pro isn't even that expensive, i'll be replacing it with a 1TB 970 or 980 pro.

kek I am retarded I read the total written as total capacity.

OP here. Thanks everyone for calming my nerves.

Why is AHCI off though?

probably didn't reinstall windows

RAID on HDDs, one controller for all drives. It's a trade-off but it *just works*.

>inb4 why not buy M.2 950 three years ago and leave SATAs for the data storage on HDDs in RAID

First, when 950 came out for the first time, it was too expensive.
Second, on any consumer grade motherboard using M.2 automatically disables half of available SATA ports.

>he didn't buy an HEDT platform

sounds like a personal problem.

you're fine
guru3d.com/news-story/endurance-test-of-samsung-850-pro-comes-to-an-end-after-9100tb-of-writes.html
that's a pro, but 2x smaller... I would expect at least 2PB from yours

Skylake-X came out only in 2017. Regular Skylake* was the best option.

*which was probably the last useful architecture from Intel given the fact we're now at the fourth or fifth 'refresh' of the same shit.

X99 with haswell wasn't a bad choice either.

I dban'd my 860 evo putting 100tb wear on it in the first day. RMA'd it for a new one that I broke the sata connector on it so i RMA'd that one too then the store sent me a 500gb and 250gb for my troubles.

Attached: photo.jpg (346x344, 26K)

Absolutely diabolical.

Attached: f57.jpg (640x640, 36K)

devilish

Attached: 1450752542441.gif (425x481, 1.51M)

SSDs last a lot longer than that
a good SSD should handle more writes on its NAND than an HDD is able to write in its useful lifetime

>uploading autistic frogs post 2014
shit nigger what are you doing

Attached: 1450621849629.jpg (2346x1341, 235K)

OP look at wear leveling in smart data, that will give you a rough percentage of its life left.

Attached: SMART.png (911x663, 110K)

You'll be fine.

Attached: screenshot_410.jpg (938x688, 62K)

The answer is, as always, BACK YOUR SHIT UP. Dumbass.

you sure told me

Given ~2,000 P/E cycles of inferior TLC V-NAND you should get to about ~1,000 TB before it dies so you have a very long way to go. Pic related is the 128GB variant of your SSD.

anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-29-10-08-48(1).jpg (720x648, 100K)

Oh fuck.

Had no idea I've gone through so much in 10months.

Attached: 4ff5c07f9d750d208e141aa3580097a9.png (424x281, 101K)

Well it's an EVO drive as well, so you really fucked up.

Only 3 year warranty, and only rated for 100TB of writes over that 3 years.

If you're at 62TB in only 10 months, you'll have a somewhat decent chance of your drive failing before the 3 year warranty period is done.

This.
And as a bonus, SSDs go into read-only mode on failure

Attached: last moments.jpg (763x572, 44K)

Not really, 960 evo still uses 3D TLC V-NAND so on paper it has ~2,000 P/E cycles or at least 500TB of write endurance. Of course samshit will only guarantee 100TB because it's not in their best interest to guarantee the maximum theoretical write endurance. Still it would be pretty unusual for it to fail before 400-500 TB of write endurance.

Attached: yjd1jfqdwrn11.jpg (500x600, 64K)

>at least
*about

I have the 2tb version of that drive, i'm sure its rated at something like 100gb of writes a day for twenty years.

Honestly thinking about getting a 4tb drive once they fall a bit more in price.

Yeah, I fully admit it likely wont fail, all i'm saying is that 250TB+ in 3 years is way beyond what the drive is officially supposed to endure. So the odds of it failing ARE higher than the average drive. I never said it was good odds, just that it had a somewhat decent chance compared to other drives.

I don't understand how I've managed to go through 62tb already though.

While I do render videos, it's not often enough.

I do run shadowplay though. But the storage is set to another drive. This m.2 drive is my OS drive.
Could this be the reason?

Bro, i bought a 2tb samsung sata ssd for like 520 dollars about may/june 2016. It was a steal at the time but the most id ever spent on a component that wasnt a gpu.

Ive watched 4tb ones fall from like 2500 dollars to about 1200 since then.

Once good brand ssds in 4tb fall sub

Samsung doesn't scam.
Cease being problematic.

Pretty sure dban goes, yeah nah when it detects an ssd.

Get a higher cap SSD for this coming black friday/cyber monday. We should at the very least see 1TB 3D TLC SSDs for $100. That's like ~2,000TB write endurance right there.

3.5 years so I guess I'm ok

Attached: Untitled.jpg (784x321, 50K)

you are aware that samsung SSD's is a subdivision of seagate. i hope

No it isn't, failure before 400-500TB write endurance is highly improbable. Samshit could easily guarantee 400GB write endurance and only like a dozen out of a million would fail.

Read the smart wear leveling count you mongs. 0 = full depletion of P/E cycles.

Attached: wL5bFvA.jpg (922x613, 141K)

>he doesn't understand statistics

go back to school

what does the 86 mean?

>you are aware that samsung SSD's is a subdivision of seagate
No, Samsungs HDD subdivison was bought by Seagate, the SSD division is owned by Samsung.

5 Year Limited Warranty or 800TBW
1.5 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF)

So, not bad.

Attached: SSD.jpg (1745x955, 270K)

86% health left. 840 pro uses 3d mlc v-nand afaik so it should have ~3,000 P/E cycles before failure or 384TB for a 128GB SSD of write endurance so user must have written around ~50TB of data already.

just some more info for you

>As a result, when Seagate acquired Samsung’s hard drive business back in 2011, there was an agreement between the two that allowed Seagate to source NAND chips from Samsung. Seagate currently has a sourcing agreement with both Samsung and Toshiba for NAND-flash chips. Furthermore, Seagate’s $450 million acquisition of LSI’s SandForce PCI Express (PCIe) business was an indicator that Seagate was finally getting serious about the pure SSD business.

I do which is why samshit wants to have virtually 0% failure rate on their SSD guarantees. Even 0.1% failure rate can make them look bad (see note 7 fiasco).

How many TB written?

No shit, my point is if you think there isn't a statistical difference of failure rates between 100TB as they have it warrantied for, vs 200TB+ which that poster is likely to see if their writes keep pace. Then you're a retard.

Again, no one is saying his drive is GOING to fail, but to pretend it isn't MORE likely to fail with 200TB+ writes compared to just 100TB, is just ignorance.

But the difference is so small is it even worth taking into account?

Who cares? That's not the point. The point is the drive IS more likely to fail within it's lifetime compared to the average drive.

Guys I think this user really thinks the people in the screenshot have 30TB and 50TB SSDs. Listen, dumbass, those numbers simply mean how much data has been written overall, not their capacity.
Here's mine.

Attached: 1518281829657.png (897x647, 288K)

k

Nope, dban'd my own ssd and I temporarily fucked it.

I have 76, so like I'm good for another 3 years. Right? RIGHT?

8 more petabytes to go.

People here are are ignorant of this. Anything newer than 850 will last few petabytes

>Anything newer than 850 will last few petabytes
should put a pretty big asterisks next to this, this is all assuming the drive doesn't fail for some other reason. Sometimes shit just happens.

What if the GOOD thing is actually a hard-coded string, so it will always just say that?

Also I believe you have a 5 year warranty with that ssd so assume that it'll break the day after your warranty ends, or in other words, you have 2 years.

Upgrade your samsung magician. That shit's ancient.

Why its not doing anything and I only use it to see the written info from time to time

Attached: Untitled2.jpg (826x566, 139K)

Use SMART to check the health of the drive.
Victoria on Windows
smartctl on Linux

Oh wait, I didn't look at the OP pic before posting that.

Dam son, did you just buy that drive a few weeks ago?

3.5 years --->>>

KEK
Should I worry?

Attached: screenshot_411.png (642x648, 59K)

The enterprise version of the 840 pro only supported 73TB of writes. So you're getting up there at 56TB.

I'd replace it soon personally.

Oh well, M.2 NVME here I come. I've got tired of not having enough space on it anyway.

Are the 970 EVOs any good? I haven't been following product news in over a year.

Samsung 3d nand ssds are really high quality

Attached: 1531362321434.png (901x647, 144K)

Yes, 970 evo's are solid.

And with the 970 Evo they've finally moved to a 5 year warranty (960 Evo's and before were 3 year).

Attached: 2018-10-29 15_33_07.png (852x310, 17K)

Attached: 1536439187455.png (896x645, 144K)

wow, sold

So if I see one with 3 years of manufacturer's warranty on a website I should probably check out another store? Or can I return the SSD directly to Samsung after those 3 years expired regardless?

>supported
You mean was warrantied for. In actual practice those things take 2000+TBs

Nah, the 840 PRO-s didn't have a TBW limit on their warranty.

>So if I see one with 3 years of manufacturer's warranty on a website I should probably check out another store
they could've just copy and pasted the warranty info from the 960 evo listing, but yeah, i'd personally avoid it.

Yes, but coupled with that shitty wear level count, i'd replace it sooner rather than later.

I'll "report the mistake" they made with the warranty and we'll see. I used to work at that place, maybe they won't tell me to suck it.

Seems to me, SSD are not inherently prone to degradation, but rather the quicker it works, the quicker it dies.

Blasting your SSD at 4x PCIe for mundane shit like torrents is beyond pointless to begin with though. Maybe even loading 4k textures is a bit overkill, because it's going to thrash the drive

even doing that, you'll be hard pressed to get your drive to fail naturally by too many writes.

SSDs are simply far more resilient than we first thought.

I have one scratch/shit/temp/torrent drive from some noname company that's had a hundred+ tb written to it over like six years

It's still fine, I don't worry about the SSD failure meme now.

Mechanical suck my asshole

I have been doing shitloads of db conversions on my SSD, basically raping it over the last 6 years and it's still working flawlessly.

Attached: DiskInfo64_2018-10-29_21-16-41.png (674x691, 75K)

are you sure those SMART readings are correct ???