/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

Last thread:

Attached: allen gates.jpg (600x416, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/VSCodium/vscodium#why
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kms-activate-windows-8-1-en-pro-and-office-2013.49686/page-76#post-838808
pastebin.com/cpdmr6HZ
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

software essentials infographic

Attached: windows essentials 2018.png (2023x7836, 1.85M)

>PDF
>just use your browser
No! The browser is only capable of displaying a PDF. The moment you want to do something as simple as searching for text within the PDF, the browser immediately fails, because it can not search for a string of characters if there is a line break in between. As soon as the text I want to search for is in two rows the browser shows no results.

>b-but it's still okay for viewing!
Then you might as well just list it at the image viewer section too, because there's no need to have an image viewer, if your browser can view images too!

>there's no need to have an image viewer, if your browser can view images too!

Attached: you hjave a point skeleton.jpg (572x303, 144K)

how exactly is VSCodium different from VSCode? do plugins work all the same?

github.com/VSCodium/vscodium#why
TLDR: no telemetry

there is another recommended one for exactly this reason though.
Although i guess a more detailed description to it wouldn't hurt.

Trying to jump through the hoops to get myself a copy of LTSC and the activator which supposedly can be found at forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kms-activate-windows-8-1-en-pro-and-office-2013.49686/page-76#post-838808

Blocked from seeing the link in his post, so made an account, but of course I get pic related and now I'm blocked from even viewing the site. Tried doing it again with a VPN, but get message that I looks like a spam-bot as I hit register after sitting through 10 minutes of solving captchas.

Could someone just show me what link was in his post before I kill myself?

Attached: 1520103912579.png (587x120, 6K)

- Download:
pastebin.com/cpdmr6HZ

thank you, partner

Attached: 1519363505472.jpg (693x1024, 233K)

any windows 10 pro iso torrents? the official microsoft download is slow af, its gonna take another 20m

RIP Paul

First time posting here, just want to ask if using that KMS-VL-ALL is confirmed to be working? Going to have a new laptop arriving tomorrow and I'm going to try installing LTSC 2019 on it and using it as a main laptop, if it fails then I'll just use LTSB 2016.

Yea, its pretty much the best you can get. no networking (not even local), no drivers, no tasks, no servers.
It solves everything by abusing the windows automatic debugger start image option, so when activation happens it loads itself into the activation program and emulates networking and KMS. Also is opensource so you can peek at it.
Dl link is in (or if you dont feel like registering)

do I download all three?

nah, only the top one, that one is the latest.

Does it work with 8.1 Pro, or is this a specific activator for Win10?

should work with anything KMS activatable, althought i only ever tried it with Win10 enterprise.

guys what happened to /flt/ when did this board go to shit

Linux is dead

w-what?

Attached: pepe-nervous.jpg (227x222, 7K)

Okay, thanks, I'll try it on my next Win8.1 install.

fman is the shit

Attached: fman.webm (762x322, 198K)

Are there any _full_featured_ utorrent alternatives I'm unaware of? I still couldn't find a replacement client that has:

- persistent labels, meaning the goddamn client shouldn't automatically delete the label when you unassign it from all torrents.

- automatic torrent labeling according to torent name match or tracker match.

- a web interface stable with a lot of torrents (thousands).

- playable partially downloaded media files! "Download in sequential order" and "Download first and last pieces first" don't work with multiple media files in the same torrent and therefore aren't a substitue!

- the ability to switch between torrent detail pages when adding torrents instead of the last added torrent always being on top of the others.

And most importantly, a client that doesn't fucking redownload missing files automatically!

Thanks!

>a client that doesn't fucking redownload missing files automatically!
There's an issue in qbittorrent tracker specifically about this

And has been for years, but still nothing.

>try to set timer in built-in app in windows 10
>have to literally click through like i'm on a fucking phone instead of typing exact amount of time

ffs what brainless idiot thought it's a good idea
what fucking moron accepted it

i guess i'll stay with
sleep (60*15); echo `a

Attached: ApplicationFrameHost_2018-10-30_02-33-00.png (447x250, 4K)

LTSC 2019 WHEN!?

It's a touchscreen OS. The mouse is only used by gayming faggots these days.

lol why is this low-tier shilling even allowed?
has this place become tel-aviv.co.il ??

Its already out since like a month

Yeah but isn't it broken?

I have a dual-boot of Windows 10 and Linux Mint, I'm posting this from my Windows partition, there is no need to choose when you can have the best of both worlds.

If I'm already updated to 1809, there shouldn't be any need to reinstall older versions then?
Only two problems exist, one during the upgrade process, and the other using the builtin zip too. Already past the upgrade stage with no issues, and I'm using 7zip.
The only thing there is then is just wait for the updated patch no?

Can you upgrade LTSB to LTSC without losing your data files?
What's the "upgrade deletes files" thing about?

Attached: incomingcallfromv.png (328x408, 83K)

Where can i download the most recent W7 iso? everything i found is the sp1 release wthout ll the updates

Attached: 1427338575220.jpg (225x606, 74K)

Those already on 1809, apparently notifications, that popup on bottom right doesn't appear on that release?

Can you upgrade to LTSC without losing files?

There are no such official ones afaik. As for shady modded isos tpb can help you out.

Afaik ltsb cannot be release upgraded.

>Afaik ltsb cannot be release upgraded.
It can.

Fuck windows.

Attached: 1535733792400.png (640x480, 276K)

Why are you mad over and OS? They all stink and taste bad

Hm
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths
Apparently they indeed can be, but this only says to normal versions.

>which will now only allow data-only
So the question is, will the data remain or be deleted by the bug or whatever?

>no utorrent 2.2.1 on the torrent client section
Yup, anyone who made this chart is retarded

How's your social life?

Werent versions up to 3.5 clean?

>i must follow online memes

That's exactly what he'd be doing if he followed that retarded list.

>it can not search for a string of characters if there is a line break in between
Fun fact, PDFs rarely have multiple characters as "a string". All the "searching" you're doing is going to be done on a parsed set of characters which may or may not correspond to what you're seeing appear on the screen. It all depends on the parser implementation.

By string I literally meant sequence, not technical term string.

>have all power of PowerShell
>use simple bell like its the 90s

sleep (60*15); (New-Object -com SAPI.SpVoice).speak("It's time you fucker")

>sleep (60*15); (New-Object -com SAPI.SpVoice).speak("It's time you fucker")
What's 60*15?

i'd ask if you're retarded, but this is friendly thread and i think i know the answer already

it's amount of seconds you want to wait
as in 15 minutes

And why is it a fucking multiplication? Can't you fucking count 60*15 in your head and just write one goddamn number? And I'm the one who's retarded. Jesus Christ!

maybe i can, maybe i can't, maybe go fuck yourself
you're replying the reply you moron

Maybe if this retarded language would have separate second person singular and plural pronouns there would be less confusion about which one of you I meant. As in both of you.

good guide but there's a lot to improve imo, like for pdf just use mupdf for example.
Also >recommending ccleaner

>recommending ccleaner
whats wrong with ccleaner?
there was no confirmed info about it getting botnet'd

Common sense really.
Ccleaner is proprietary and the stuff it does is mostly placebo type shit.
Also they fucked up noticing malware being included in their product.

Since the live maintenance feature that's always running in your taskbar crept into the free version, it habitually fucks up several programs by deleting files that are still in use. Browsers always fucking threw a cache miss with it enabled for example.

However once you disable that shit, it's an easy way for luddites to keep their PC clean.

>compiling a series of tedious shitty processes in a simple list with humanly readable words is placebo
Get out freecuck.

the latest official ISO of win7 is still SP1-U from 2011, afaik
if you want an updated ISO, make one yourself

Attached: win7isos.png (829x99, 27K)

What.
I was saying the stuff CCleaner does is placebo.
Having it run in the background is even dumber aswell.

Also I freecucks are probably the last people to get cucked.
I think ppl who use proprietary software are the biggest cucks lol.

that's what he meant, pdf is designed for printable, read-only documents. it's more like a vector image format than a document format
text is often just stored and drawn as individual characters, rather than strings. anything you do with a PDF that isn't printing is a hack

I see, so there's even less reason to include "just use your browser" on that list.

ever tried a pdf editor? wondered why they're all janky as fuck compared to any other document format? this is why. pdf is meant to be used only for final versions of things, which you cant send to a printer or someone else, and be sure it displays/prints the same way (that's what the 'portable' refers to)

>which you cant send to a printer or someone else
can*

Download the SP1 ISO and then install
KB3020369
KB3125574

here's the stripped one on an 8G flash drive if anyone is curious
it has too poor a write speed to be usable, but i thought it'd be funny

Attached: Capture.png (1366x768, 580K)