Has Linux been thoroughly taken over by corporations?

EQT bought SuSe
IBM bought RedHat

somebody will inevitably buy Canonical

what's going to happen to linux?

Attached: whosnext.png (1280x720, 97K)

The death of distros hopefully.
Linux has some hope in gaining market share as a desktop OS if they eliminate the massive fragmentation

Friendship ended with RHEL, now ubuntu is my best friend

it's okay Microsoft will buy Canonical shortly

That's only a minority of Linux distros. The vast majority of distros are still community projects.

Explain why this is a bad thing. Go ahead. I'll wait.

time to fork Fedora ..

Attached: tos.png (640x400, 4K)

wtf is EQT?

IBM + Red Hat now rival the amount of code commits to the kernel as regular coders.

EQT is some random private equity company, the company that owned SuSe needed money so they sold the SuSe business unit and in early 2019 SuSe becomes a part of EQT (at which point technically EQT could cut the company up and sell it piece by piece to whoever the fuck they want)

Attached: linuxkernel.jpg (580x435, 128K)

And how many of the majority are based on the minority?

yeah but we're talking about upstream distros getting bought and probably defunded next year

SuSe said they won't defund OpenSUSE but time will tell on that.

Consider CentOS and Fedora dead. RedHat bought CoreOS and development has pretty much ground to a halt on the open-source side (seriously go look at the github page, we've got guys talking about bootrstrapping entropy sources and vmware ignition configs that nobody's going to fucking use)

I've already migrated some of my stuff to Ubuntu Server now just in case. Most people don't give a shit about server distros nowadays anyway because everything is kubernetes+docker and it generally doesn't matter what you run that on top of.

The worst case scenario for us is that Google buys Canonical, the second worst is Microsoft buying Canonical.

At that point there won't be a major upstream linux distro that isn't completely compromised by corporate interest. Canonical being independent means they have to provide value to customers, Canonical being bought means they have to provide value to whoever bought them, which means Linux just becomes a tool rather than an actual product they sell.

I don't think the Zoomers on Jow Forums are really going to understand what's happening but I hope I've explained it well enough for you to understand that it's bad.

Attached: 1894534958.jpg (960x960, 97K)

The issue is that even if you use something super non-corporate like CRUX, the kernel itself is still littered with Google, Facebook, and M$ influence.

Hurd revolt when?

>Hurd revolt when?

never, we need somebody less autistic than stallmanu that people actually trust to speak out against this shit

like linus

install debian

I don't like debian, but I guess I'll end up there. I love Fedora but I won't stay for a second if IBM starts to mess with the fedora project.

It's actually the other way around. OpenSUSE is based on Slackware, which is a community project, and Ubuntu is based on Debian, which is a community project. Fedora may be a community project as well, though I don't know for sure.

Isn't redhat funding Gnome?
Is IBM planning to kill GTK?

Attached: god.jpg (480x360, 7K)

Fedora is a community project, but a large part of that community is made up by redhat employees. So it's not clear right now how IBM could affect fedora, but hopefully it can keep going as nothing happened.

You losers are all doing this to yourselves by not using bsd in the first place

Attached: sorry about your cancer.jpg (600x710, 171K)

>IBM cunts have meeting with Gnome dev cunts
> “you’re fired for being a bunch of cunts”
> IBM replaces Gnome cunts with foreign cunts
> foreign cunts finally implement a window bar and menu on task bar.
>wtf I love gnome now.

Attached: 5FC7D8DC-6B93-4492-9571-7B4A6EF67EE0.png (349x294, 9K)

So it's no longer ok to use Fedora?

Mfw installed fedora 2 days ago