Is 30 too old to get a job as a Devloper?

I'm going to be 30 ths halloween. Worked at retail for the last 10 years of my life. I want to start a carreer in software development but I think that maybe companies are looking for young guys with at least 5 years experience.
I started college this year (college is free in my country) and maybe with luck I´ll have a degree in CompSci by the time I´m 35.
Am I wasting my time here?
Thanks.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2018/10/23/nyregion/man-found-dead-in-car-new-york.html
codecentric.rs/self-taught-senior-developer-or-how-to-re-code-your-life/
medium.freecodecamp.org/how-i-switched-careers-and-got-a-developer-job-in-10-months-a-true-story-b8895e855a8b
talent.works/blog/2018/03/28/the-science-of-the-job-search-part-iii-61-of-entry-level-jobs-require-3-years-of-experience/
youtube.com/watch?v=Am2is2QCvxY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dude, I'm turning 32 years this year and working as a developer. Why the fuck would you be too old, people work as devs way longer.

yes nytimes.com/2018/10/23/nyregion/man-found-dead-in-car-new-york.html

Yeah but you are already working as a dev. I´m starting form scratch

Yeah give up you're wasting your time, you can't do anything you are old now. Sage.

it is because of fucks like you we have now shitty unoptimized software. Stay away from this, just do what you were doing and if you feel like programming then do it as a hobby ffs.

No
codecentric.rs/self-taught-senior-developer-or-how-to-re-code-your-life/

IT WILL BE LATE WHEN YOU ARE DEAD.It's never too late to do anything, holy shit. I hate when insecure people create threads like this one.

No.

medium.freecodecamp.org/how-i-switched-careers-and-got-a-developer-job-in-10-months-a-true-story-b8895e855a8b

12 y.o and im senior java developer

Attached: zsh.jpg (800x534, 244K)

I didn’t get my first dev job until I was 32.

me too I was born on Halloween

Got my first job at 25

Stop making excuses and start coding.

That guy is a literal cuckold though

To get a job? No.

To keep a job, probably. The thing you have to keep in mind is that tech is a young person's field and you'll basically be unemployable by 40 unless you've worked your way into management by then.

I got my first dev job a week ago at 34 :)

How did you do retail for that long? Did you just stock shelves, work in the warehouse?
I couldn't stand retail cause the lowest people stay there, and they're miserable harpies

Attached: 1537668274484.jpg (1080x1099, 295K)

kys, founder median age is 48

bias exists, what's the point in getting training then ending up in a situation where everyone discriminates against you?

Why?

I'm not op but I'm a professional meat cutter/butcher and love it. I'd consider what I do retail?

NO, that's not retail. Walmart and miserable jobs like that is retail. Your colleagues in retail are convicts or gang members, we always joked about suicide and store shootings, it was misery.

So no, you're more skilled compared to putting stuff on a shelf while getting yelled at by a highschool drop out that you report to.

It's not too late to learn but you may want to hide your age on your CV down the road.
>talent.works/blog/2018/03/28/the-science-of-the-job-search-part-iii-61-of-entry-level-jobs-require-3-years-of-experience/

Is only a wasted time if you are not programming by hobby

>tfw accounting degree
>didn't intern so no experience and shit resume
>stuck retailing at Macys unloading trucks for the past few months while I keep getting rejected

Attached: 1526478995881.png (210x240, 65K)

focus on building expertise in something that's difficult and here to stay
don't try to catch up with all the latest buzz and frameworks, except maybe in the beginning to get a foot in

if you look at e.g. the C++ community the top guys are definitely older, with guys even approaching their 80s contributing new features to the language

aim to be this guy
youtube.com/watch?v=Am2is2QCvxY

You've likely got 40+ years of life to negotiate left, so it's wise to look ahead.

You'll want to cross software engineering with business or a specialization like computer vision or statistical methods. Plain programmers who aren't close to any real-world applications of software are prone to being displaced with advancing standardization, due to their age, their cost or their exchangability.

Develop project management skils (your university will require you to take general courses like that anyway, so use that opportunity).

If you're only 30, you might want to look into civil servant career tracks because you might just be under the age limit if there's any. As part of semi-high career tracks, you'll usually be sent to a university or college anyway and get your education paid for. I hear there are also technical positiations available.

That being said, choosing a course of study is difficult because short of medicine almost no degree absolutely guarantees good employment or good chances anymore by default. Build a scientific/quantitative foundation and make the best of it.

Good luck

Fuck and I thought I was a loser when I graduated at 26.

Help! idk how but got an interview in 40 min. Already did not went as good as I expected.
It's the last interview before an offer, what can I expect??

Maybe. Usually by 40 we retire because we can't keep up anymore

Got my first job as a programmer at 29. It's totally feasible especially when the industry is oversaturated with complete idiots.

Yes it is you need to be ready at age 3 years old Zoomer!

Reach out to nonprofits who may need some help

I'm 14 and dream in code

not in the tech field it does not

At 30 you should be transfering into management after having 10 years of solid experience as a developer.

I did it at 32. You're fine op.

This.
/thread

oof. this is going to be me when I graduate.

>have a high paying job for decades
>come out of it with literally nothing to show for
What are these people even doing with their money, flushing it down the toilet?

Attached: 1524937404599.webm (290x336, 286K)

Life happens user...

Nah, he just got married and divorced by some thot. Probably cleaned his ass out.

no.

i started at 31...43 now.

That's life.

I don't know what your country is like but here in 'Murrica (Florida to be exact), I didn't get my first dev job until I was 34 and I got that on a whim. Most jobs I had up til then were various types of construction but I always fiddled around with Python, Android and web stuff in my spare time. A friend of a friend mentioned her employer was looking for somebody so I gave it a shot. Much to my surprise, they hired me. You can do it.

Yes, you will end up burning out in a few years, if you don't burn out just learning how to become one. Only the most autistic developers make it past 40.

No, as long as you have the willpower to study.
Just do it, nothing is impossible.

starting at 30 is easier than starting at 40

>What are these people even doing with their money, flushing it down the toilet?
Yes, it's called "paying rent in NYC."

>Only the most autistic developers make it past 40.
this is Jow Forums

My TA started compsci at around 30, has a PhD now. I wouldn't say its impossible.

Only a retard would do that.

this should literally never be crossing your mind unless you just turned 60 and even then if you busted your ass you might still have a shot

get to work faggot

I'm 34 and I started my first job as a developer. The stacks I'm working with are Java/Angular (jHipster) and react-native.
I know Jow Forums will give me crap for not being an elite C h4x0r but idgaf.

I worked as a System Administrator before and before that as an IT supporter.

>The stacks I'm working with are Java/Angular (jHipster) and react-native.

Attached: 1361480183580.gif (217x199, 588K)

>hurr durr

Yet I live and work in Switzerland and make a 100k a year.

>being born on Halloween
Your parents probably fucked on Valentine's day
Clichè

OP, stop looking for excuses. Just do whatever you like.
You like programming? Go for it.
Best thing you can be good at is one you like.

If, however, you're doing this for money. Then look for something else. You'll be miserable.
Most important thing in life is to be happy!
Are you HAPPY?

Attached: thinkpepe.jpg (1000x800, 85K)

At least it's not C#.

You're in Europe? If yes it's not too late, companies are desperate as fuck to find devs

My GrandMa fucking security developer.

LOL
I'm 11 year old girl and already am senior C++ dev
Making five figures at 11 is nothing to sneeze at!

You're obviously too old!
If you're not at least 13 year old girl or have fluid gender, you have no chance lmao!

t. 11 year old girl working as C++ senior dev