Hey Jow Forums, asking for a friend here

Hey Jow Forums, asking for a friend here.

Is there a computer virus in existence that will damage a computer beyond wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS? The only feasible way of doing this would be to cause physical damage to the computer components right?

Does such a thing exist? And if so how would someone get their hands on it? I heard rumors of a virus that overheats your RAM and HD so you need to buy new ones. Are these just myths?

Attached: computer-virus.png (640x400, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/assassins-creed-origins
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIH_(computer_virus)
grc.com/fix-cih.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you want to destroy somebody's computer with a thermal attack, just send your target an i9-9900K

How about something a little less dumb?

Here you go : ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/assassins-creed-origins

Install this and enjoy your 100% CPU usage.

>Is there a computer virus in existence that will damage a computer beyond wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS?
systemd/linux

>overheats your RAM
they could just download more

Why would you do that to someone?

The only thing I can think of would only work with specific cpus. Basically just turn the cooling system and heat sensors off and overclock it to high heaven

Realistically all you'd have to do is have malware that buffer overruns so the cpu just cooks.

Might take a while tho...

>overheats your RAM
Joke's on you, I've got RAM coolers

That chink wrote some virus that wiped the mbr and bios of computers at a certain time. Used to brick machines. I forget the name of the gook or the virus though.

This one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIH_(computer_virus)

>The payload, which is considered extremely dangerous, first involves the virus overwriting the first megabyte (1024KB) of the hard drive with zeroes, beginning at sector 0. This deletes the contents of the partition table, and may cause the machine to hang or cue the blue screen of death.

>The second payload tries to write to the Flash BIOS. Due to what may be an unintended feature of this code, BIOSes that can be successfully written to by the virus have critical boot-time code replaced with junk

Gee I never took Jow Forums for a comedy board. You guys are great.

>heat sensors off
yeah, like that's possible

Systemd mounts efivars rw, if you rm -rf /* you erase them too and break the motherboard (even though efi spec says it has to work fine).

fpbp

was just about to post this
it only worked on certain motherboards though.

Just open the cd drive every night remotely. Shit will drive him crazy and he will disconnect it. Or turn down the volume every now and then. Make a few minor sabotages and the victim will trash their own machine. Hack the user, not the machine. Set his browser searchengine to yahoo. Make his starting page msn.com. Set Edge as the default browser and set all default programs for opening all file types to paint.exe . Overclock the mouse laser so it burns through the table and let the system speaker play ghostly voices at night so ge thinks his mainboard is haunted. Hack his smart fridge so that all it orders is lite beer.

Attached: 496F75C3-E044-4021-92DA-A7919C595363.jpg (1536x2048, 353K)

During our MS Word course when we were learning how to write VB scripts for word documents, one of our IT profs (who generally knew his shit) told us about certain scripts that press the reading heads onto disks/platters in a way that would damage the hardware. That was almost 20 years ago, though.

Anything cheaper?

>cd drive
kek

My first pentium computer (IBM Aptiva) came pre-installed with CIH

Not even kidding, look it up

I seem to recall hearing about a virus that installed itself in the hard drive's firmware, and could thereby re-infect the computer after a re-install.

Rootkit you god damn retards

chernobyl virus was the closest thing back in the days

killer pokes (look it up on wikipedia) are exceedingly rare nowadays with all the protected OS layers that prevent direct hardware access

I do dread the day when malware goes beyond ransomware and instead bricks hardware. very possible in cyberwarfare scenario, since there's no money to gain anymore, and it turns into a no-holds-barred fight.

cryptomining malware does that already. it'll just make the fan work harder. even if the fan failed, nearly all CPUs have auto-shutdown features to protect themselves from thermal damage.

Steve's got you m8 - grc.com/fix-cih.htm

CIH (Chernobyl virus) is the only one I know of. Only works on Win 9x If I remember correctly, though.
Older systems often had a killer poke of some sort, but you'd be hard pressed to find something that damages a modern computer.
It's possible to rape a CD drive through software (some old DRM could damage them), but that's pretty useless for anything but mild annoyance at this point.

CIH is the only virus that I know of that does that. It exploits a vulnerability in some BIOSes and overwrites it rendering the mobo useless without a reflash. Of course it only affects Windows 9x computers, but such a threat would be hard to come by today based on how much more security is implemented in the hardware level

>CIH is the only virus that I know of that does that. It exploits a vulnerability in some BIOSes and overwrites it rendering the mobo useless without a reflash.
Doesn't systemd mount efivars read-write allowing the exact same kind of attack?

It used to be possible to do very low level access that just taxed shit too much and killed it. For example; telling the hard drive magnets to do impossible things or resonate until failure. Or removing thermal throttles and melting shit down.