I wanna switch over to a laptop/external GPU build because i move often and dont like relying on remote desktop...

i wanna switch over to a laptop/external GPU build because i move often and dont like relying on remote desktop. i'd rather have all the work functions with me on the go and game at home on the same setup

im gonna sell my rig first:
pcpartpicker.com/list/QsrLq4
but i'm keeping the 1080 and putting in a used 1070 instead.

Plenty of good enclosures to pick from but the tricky part is finding a laptop that fits what I want. I was considering a Thinkpad but I didn't expect to pay close to $1000 for a 1080p GFX-less laptop with i7/i5 6-core with 250GB+ SSD+1TB storage and 16GB DDR4 RAM.

am i missing something? why these damn laptops so expensive. also pls sugest laptops

Attached: egpu-mbp.jpg (1280x720, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hOKm-wrs1og
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160325
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I am monitoring this thread as I'm in a similar predicament.

Get a hades canyon nuc instead. Gaming laptops and especially non gaymen laptops simply don't have enough cooling to keep the CPU above 2-3 GHz while gaymen. Pic related stays around 4Ghz on the CPU even when you run furmark and prime95.

Attached: nuc-hades-canyon-gaming.jpg (3000x2000, 3.7M)

>I was considering a Thinkpad but I didn't expect to pay close to $1000 for a 1080p GFX-less laptop with i7/i5 6-core with 250GB+ SSD+1TB storage and 16GB DDR4 RAM.

>am i missing something? why these damn laptops so expensive. also pls sugest laptops

shell out the money for portable gaming or stop complaining

Forgot to add, the cpu is unlocked.

This is probably the best solution. All laptop cpus throttle hard and there is no way around this problem

Not all but by the time you get to ones that don't I honestly don't see why people even call them laptops anymore.

pic related: Predator 21X gaymen laptop

Attached: ayyy_lmao.jpg (2880x2160, 308K)

>put "laptop" on lap
>it shatters your femurs into a million pieces

The blade looks almost identical to a macbook and honestly it's the only 'gayman' laptop worth looking at

these just don't suit my situation at all. if i wanted a baby computer id just build a mini ITX, but it's not and I don't want a monitor. It's going to be best if I have a solid laptop I can take on location, then sit on a cooler at home.

pls just suggest laptops. i have a gaming laptop rn im selling absolutely do not want to lug that thing around to sets or be seen with it in public ever

Nah, thermal throttling issues are still pretty bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=hOKm-wrs1og

There's not many options that you have m8, either get or vesa mount onto a small monitor. The worst possible option is to get a laptop and a huge GPU enclosure, PSU and get horrible frame stuttering and lag from the laptops CPU thermal throttling.

Also portable monitors have existed for a while too, you don't have to carry a huge 27" monitor with you and the nuc. Pic related is 1080p and more than enough if you want portability and has vesa mount to put the nuc in the back. It's also powered by the USB-C connector from the nuc, no power cable needed, usb-c acts as video signal and power supply.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160325

Attached: aoc_i1659fwux_usb_display_review_2.jpg (960x774, 154K)

this aint it chief

Okay then, get a stupid gaymen laptop and enjoy that fucking sweet sweet frame stuttering and lag or look like a fucking dork carrying around a PSU, GPU enclosure and still get frame stuttering and lag.

Attached: 5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwINLUs7UFufChkXyUwPCt2U.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

i mean i should have mentioned i need a decent laptop to take on locations for capturing software and for notes in class. theres a reason i wanted this all consolidated to one device and an external hub

Then you're stuck in limbo. If I were you i'd get a used surface pro tablet pc for on the go stuff and vesa mount the nuc on a small monitor for home use. Simply put mobile computers sacrifice a great deal of performance for portability and the nuc is the best middle ground between a full blow desktop pc and a laptop. You can't have your cake and eat it too, you'll have to compromise one way or another.

You're fucked either way then senpai, less so with the nuc and portible monitor but still fucked. Carrying a gpu enclosure and the psu seems like a big hassle all to be put in vain when the laptop cpu thermal throttles.

Attached: 1524073131952.jpg (480x480, 20K)

Everyone here is acting as if your CPU is gonna be working at full speed all the time. Very few games will fully utilize an i78750H.

Hell, I have an i5 8250u with a GTX 1060 and have no thermal throttling issues. I even play GTA V and have no issues.

If you're a programmer or something then think about thermal throttling. Otherwise just get a decently cooled machine and you'll be fine. Dell XPS 13 9370 Is a good choice. The i7 model doesn't thermal throttle at all, and has thunderbolt 3. All depends on the ports you need.

Attached: dell-xps-13-hero-01.jpg (700x447, 58K)

Wasn't someone complaining about the fan breaking on this nuc model?

>may 2017
That is the old blade model.

Is that good for traveling? The laptop I use now weighs 9lbs and is a pain to lug around

I'm thinking of doing similar thing with my thinkpad. Connecting through m.2 to my r9 390
Getting pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20181030-132425.jpg (1439x1773, 856K)

This sounds pretty positive for me. I can mod my x210 for even better cooling if needed.

>external GPU
Just get a large gaming laptop in the 17" range that will have plenty of space for a proper cooling system.

Attached: 1517584358559.jpg (929x960, 173K)

/thread

Laptop + PSU + mouse is already a hassle, you do not want to have to carry all that extra shit with you everywhere.

You need literally any intel laptop with Thunderbolt 3.
That's the bare minimum requirement for an eGPU, at least if you're going to buy a laptop.

Don't bother with laptops that are already fully decked out.
Just buy one with an i7 quad core, the best CPU you can afford.
All of the other specs can be minimum.
Because you can't change the CPU.

the fuck?
OP isn't going to be carrying his eGPU around with him

Attached: 1384144715246.jpg (696x720, 420K)

but they all have THAT ugly gaming laptop look

The latest legion looks pretty neat to me

Attached: 506076-lenovo-legion-y530.jpg?width=810&height=456.jpg (810x456, 110K)

Not OP but I'm considering doing an XPS 13 with eGPU setup, any big drawbacks to this sort of setup, besides external eGPU enclosure cost?

Anyone know how far away thunderbolt 4 is?

Just buy a regular 13 inches Laptop with some decent gpu. It'll run most games in low settings.

This, doesn't cost much more if you're willing to accept a slightly larger form factor. I bought an MSI PS42 with a GTX 1050 for only $300 more than an equivalent spec (minus 8gb of ram and dedicated GPU) XPS 13 would cost in Australia.

I recommend tracer iii slim over legion 530. 530s only screen is 250 nit and low srgb. tracer slim has 100% srgb.

Y730 has the good screen too but more expensive.

Attached: 61jg7lG0voL._SL1001_.jpg (1001x1001, 71K)

Do they yet loop back to the internal display? (without eating up half the bandwidth?)