/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1540833022900.jpg (728x1188, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis#Types
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spline_interpolation
gitlab.com/9898287/gtkdnotes
gradle.org/guides/
viewsourcecode.org/snaptoken/kilo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lisp is the most powerful programming language.

Attached: 1540856276532.png (1114x640, 121K)

working on ordering my hormones

Common Lisp (CLOS) is the best OOP language.

>/dpt/
you're fucking up my new script

shoulda kept your old one

This but unironically.

For me, it's Chapel.

Comfy Ruby programming!

Hey anons uk here. Currently doing an access course in computing and so far love programming however when I complete this course I want to be a game developer and I have had a good look around and came across an excellent games programming course that also has a sandwich year that has great ties with game studios like sumo digital, rockstar etc. but the problem is I have also heard horror stories of many trying but failing to get a career in game development, what do you anons think? I'm getting distinctions at the moment in my access course if that means anything.

Scraped all the IETF RFCs and now I'm making a script for a man-like interface. Also need searching and to add tags so that you don't need to remember all the numbers.

making api for myanimelist (since official one is always down) with webscraping to use in other apps.

Attached: 1540638441694.png (992x917, 1.02M)

that was unironic

I'm trying to program something that simulates this behavior.
I thought I would be done in like 10 minutes. How wrong was I. It's fucken messes with my brain.

Attached: main-qimg-cf3c5802ba98fc4e03c95f257e80791f-c.jpg (587x600, 29K)

This might help. That kind of behavior is called hysteresis.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis#Types

Yeah, but I want do to one that returns to zero if you decreases the amplitude, not a glorified Schmitt trigger relay.
So this means I have to change the "trigger offset" according to the amplitude it starts with.
And I end up with spaghetti code

pic related

i don't know what that is but you might find spline interpolation interesting en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spline_interpolation

Attached: 1537743990466.jpg (850x400, 48K)

Sorry anons am I not clear here? I can elaborate if I am being vague.

Output troff files, so you can actually use man.

the poster you're replying to was being ironic

I'm trying to parse the minimum possible, just a bunch of .gz files in their original format sent to PAGER. Just going to add tags and maybe zgrep the synopsis, so that I can so

$ rfc http
$ # instead of
$ rfc

Good work user, I believe in you.

Attached: 044.jpg (480x480, 49K)

Anyone here experienced with ncurses? I'm thinking about making my own little text editor. Does ncurses have any good APIs for basic syntax highlighting kind of stuff?

ncurses just lets you draw shit to the terminal in arbitrary places. I provides nothing on top of that from implementing things like text editors.

This is a good idea.

A typical curses library leaves all the complex stuff for you to do.

i've heard nothing but bad things about game dev
at least enterprise monkeys get paid well

What are the bad things you have heard user?

god this language is disgusting

>Someone opened a github issue suggesting we use Rust in our project
I don't subscribe to meme-driven development.

Attached: 1490484678175.png (720x720, 435K)

not same user but my colleague its pay and work hours. Probably depends where your at of course.

Poor pay.
Poor working hours (crunch time).
No job security (layoffs after project is completed).

I guess I wasn't clear, I was curious as to how its tools were for implementing syntax highlighting, not if it actually provided syntax highlighting (that would take all the fun out of it). Can you tell it to color an arbitrary section of text based on its coordinates or something like that?

what about amateur/indie dev

USA or UK? I can imagine USA since you have poor worker rights but I doubt UK has these issues unless I am completely gullible.

>based on its coordinates
You can color any cell any color you want, provided the terminal provides the capability.
You don't color an existing cell, you overwrite a cell with a new color.

I don't know; I'm not actually a game dev.
Those are just the horror stories you hear.

I'm in USA. I have no idea on the UK market.

I have full time backend web-dev job that pays well and only 40 hours a wekk so I have time to make apps for extra money (could have time to make indie games too obv.).

has anyone read this? is it good? i'm looking for a decent intro to machine learning/neural nets.

Attached: intro.jpg (239x338, 28K)

>go to YouTube to look for something Java related
>end up being some thick accented Indian recording in 240p

Can somebody explain Gradle and what the fuck it is?

Working on some new projects that is in Java which I only learned the basics of in Uni. Keep getting emails about gradle and include this, add this, etc.

What the fuck is this shit and why is it necessary?

Another one of Java's awful build systems.

>Thread is no longer split
ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

With indie dev, the constraints like having a set ship date don't apply, so you don't necessarily have crunch unless you impose it upon yourself.

But there are other things about indie dev that make it harder, like having to do everything yourself (or find someone to contract), having to learn everything yourself, etc. And actually staying motivated to work on your game in addition to actual work is probably one of the hardest things.

>>Thread is no longer split
>ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER
/dpt/ is usually better around this time, especially on weekends. It's slower and most of the underage american shitposters are asleep.

So as a indie dev would it be best to work on a game that can generate a lot of money to fund other projects (like a mobile game with ads for example) I was thinking of starting a really small game that is addicting to attract whales so I can fund actual games.

you can't go to school and expect to graduate and become an indie dev
unless you're lucky it takes years of work to make a game that anyone will buy

I have been working on porting some pygtk examples to gtkD. So far I've covered at least half of the examples. Do you think it's ready enough for me to announce in the D forum? I do need a lot of feedbaks. Thanks. The repo is here gitlab.com/9898287/gtkdnotes

Attached: 86s1610ntjm11.png (416x435, 114K)

thats the typical beginner line of thought but every game genre that is low production time high revenue is already dominated by big companies, there is no easy money in game dev at the moment

>Literal deadlang
Why are you wasting your time like this?

employed C++ developer here

Attached: nasa.webm (360x696, 137K)

It's nice that they give the mentally disabled an opportunity to work.

It's okay I'm dead inside too

Attached: 10b61Z5.png (430x441, 86K)

>porting framework examples from one language to another
I couldn't think of a more braindead programming project if I tried
well done NPC

Thought so, what would be an experts line of thought in this case?

web dev spotted

Who were you trying to quote?

Are you a bot?

Certainly not.

if you go to school you can try to get a job at a company, but that depends on location, and work conditions and job security may well be very low
if you want to make it as an indie developer you don't need to go to school, but you need dedication and you need time to get good
those are the most realistic options in my opinion
some people do go to school and start a company with friends they meet at school but those dont usually turn out well

Based NPC fag

Have you ever used maven before? Gradle is similar, but it has more features.

Basically, Gradle is a scripting language that handles dependencies for you. It can also automate testing. Nothing world-changing, just saves a lot of time if you're working on large, complex projects.

See gradle.org/guides/ for some tutorials. The documentation isn't perfect, but it's good enough to be useful.

Well university would offer a sandwich year for going to a game studio or start up your own game studio with support in the uk so its possible to do both at school. Why don't they turn out well those school ones that start a company with friends?

You're probably not going to make money in indie dev. That's the other difference from enterprise game dev, or within any company for that matter. You have no guarantee of being compensated for your time, either now or later. If you're going to do indie dev, make sure it's worth something beyond money: ideally you enjoy it and you can take pride in the finished product.

Maybe it's easier now than when I was doing it because you have tools like Unity but starting a successful game studio is really hard and school doesn't prepare you for it in the slightest. I guess it depends what kind of games you want to make too. Maybe if you're into mobile/casual games you'll have an easier time but if you want to make core games that's difficult and you need at least 5 years to get good at it

Anyone got any ideas for AI projects that I could do? Been completely uninspired and need an idea for a final project for my AI class and am in a real bind.

Have covered genetic algorithms, particle swarm optimization, neural networks, A*, and fuzzy logic

>AI class
why do they have classes on memes that are barely a few years old?

AI is a 50+ year elder meme

>memes that are barely a few years old
At least know what you're talking about before posting, user.
A lot of AI concepts have been around since like the 60s-70s, especially the ones he listed.

AI has only been a meme since AlphaGo

Man, I wish the AI class I took actually covered this kind of stuff. We just like 3 months learning Prolog, and the rest of the time learning about automated theorem proving.

Any recommendation on books or anything?

somebody should build an ai to recognize if a woman is a coalburner

All thots are coalburners.

bool thot = false;
if (woman && !trad)
{
thot = true;
}

do furry logic

i gotchu senpai
bool is_coalburner(const woman& w) { return w.race == white; }

What would be an experts line of thought in case of money generation if low production time high revenue is dominated by big companies? Find a niche market and exploit it?

(define (coalburner? woman) #t)

You don't go into games looking for money you go into games if you want to make games
It's not worth it otherwise

Well it is a business so you do need to make some money, what are you going to pay your employees otherwise? Doritos crisps?

seething incels lol

You either find a job in the industry or find some way to make ends meet while you work on your own projects
You probably won't be good enough to start your own business straight out of school

viewsourcecode.org/snaptoken/kilo/

taking pills doesn't make you a girl lol

So could you have a job in the industry while also having a game studio business on the side?

if you have a job in the game industry it will take all your time and effort and you won't have time to do anything meaningful on the side
If you want to start your own business you have to bite the bullet and take risks, don't expect an easy way in that starts paying from day 0

What would cause a game studio to fail? How would you know if the game studio is doing well?

>he actually believes he can make money as an indie game developer in 2018
hahahahaha
20-40 games come out each day on Steam alone
over 7,600 games released in 2017, 2018 is projected to be 10k -- half Steam's current library.
After a year, two years, five years, however long it takes you 140-280 games (well it will be more, then) in the week surrounding your release, each with their own marketing and social media presence often in direct competition with yours. Each spent time and effort and money on their release.
This isn't even mentioning consoles, or the huge advantages large and/or established studios have.
Imagine your indie 4x dropping the same week as some CK3 DLC hahaha. Good-bye, 2-5 years of work! :)
indie gamedev is a
H O B B Y
O
B
B
Y

what kind of question is that
if you release games and making money you're doing well
things that cause you to fail is lack of experience
which is why I suggest you get experience before you try

revenue < expenses
revenue >= expenses

Steam cut, engine cut, higher self-employment tax, setting aside your own medical, dental, retirement...

But what sort of experience? You can have a well made game but it would still fail.

you should ask yourself what your passion is and work from there. If you have no passion for any aspect of video game development, don't even try. If you do, start working from there until you're good enough to make something other people are willing to pay for, then start considering business opportunities

How would you know you have something others are willing to pay for? Go on kickstarter to gauge the response?

use your own judgement
kickstarter isn't a good platform for most games

Attached: agdg adventure.png (683x440, 21K)

This is some /agdg/ tier autism

Every indie dev that made it is ex big studio employee.
Having the marketing contacts it as easy for them to make it.
Fez - Ex Ubisoft
Braid - Ex EA
and so on

you wont have that

>Every indie dev that made it is ex big studio employee.
most of them aren't

trying to get into game development because one likes computer games must be the tech equivalent of people becoming cooks because they like cooking for a hobby. Nothing will make you hate your hobby faster.

>because they like cooking for a hobby
because they like eating, you mean

why not both

I can assure you that every one you hard off worked for some big company previously.
Its just not know for the general public.
But yes you are right,most producing steam showelware were never employed.