OS Discussion Thread!

You can talk about any OS here!

Attached: 1_72cktuehSngJboCjBkOXew.jpg (1600x1066, 128K)

Windows Master race, bring it on UNIXfags, let me know when you run Solidworks

Fuck linux

WTF we /IBM/ now!

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-30 18-10-05.png (3840x2160, 557K)

I love my Windows10!

Attached: dd.jpg (1920x1080, 709K)

Ubuntu newfag and u cant stop me

>can adjust volume of my sound card from alsa volume applet
>can open pavucontrol and adjust volume per application running
>can adjust volume from within the media player I'm using
>can adjust volume from the knob on my speaker

but wait, there's more!

>can hook up my M-Audio interface and have a volume knob on that

I love Linux

Attached: Hacker-Fotolia_191594461_S.jpg (849x566, 383K)

Once Windows becomes DaaS you will change your tune

>DaaS
Top definition
daas
1. a booze hound
2. someone with an affinity for ripping bingers and the like
3. properly, Daas = Bongjammin Domski
1. You finished that 30-rack already?! You're such a daas!
2. Share the bubbla, you daas.
3. Yo, Daas, can I crank a butt? Over by the window? It won't smell or anything!
#drunk#stoner#factory#booze hound#pot head

Why are Android, Ubuntu, and Linux separate? Linux is in Ubuntu and Android. Linux is a kernel.

Linux is a family of free and open-source software operating systems built around the Linux kernel. Typically, Linux is packaged in a form known as a Linux distribution for both desktop and server use.

DaaS = You are going to be paying a monthly subscription for the pleasure of using Windows

Yeah, I wiped my notebook totally clean a few days ago and did a Windows 10 reinstall from scratch, new drivers and everything. Works pretty well now. I used the mediaa creation tool and the WIndows files that I downloaded directly from the Mocrosoft page and I was surprised that I didnt have to enter my product key, but my version is apparently still registered. How does that work

What is daas?. Subscription service?

It would have to be pretty shitty to make me switch to Linux. Even if it were subscription i'd still use it if it supported all my old Windows software. I would even pay too considering I been using Wi dows for free for like 20 years.

Never mind I just googled it. Apparently a key is not really needed anymore.

I'd pay up to $30/month for a Steam subscription service. I wouldn't pay no more than $10 a month for Windows and it'd have to include everything, not some basic becky version.

>free and open-source
No, just free. Being open source is one part of being free.
>operating systems built around the Linux kernel
No, Linux is just the kernel. Linux accounts for around 5% of GNU/Linux. GNU accounts for upwards of 20%.

I have an HP Elitebook, and I'm currently running Antergos, but I need access to things like Adobe Photoshop and other non-free programs for work reasons.

What does Jow Forums think of using OSX on a non-Apple laptop?
I don't want to say "hackintosh" because that Implies I'm familiar with what I'm talking about, which I'm not.

Is OSX moving to a subscription model? I just want to get an OS widely compatible with (pirated) commercial software and be done with it.

Just use a VM with Mac OS. It's the simplest way. Or set up a desktop machine that you can remotely access if you really need the extra power.

IBM is the most based and redpilled company to date.

anyone tried messing around with different OSes on chromebooks. I tried ubuntu with crouton and it was too laggy to handle. ARM btw

That actually sounds like a more complex way that only makes sense if you're squeamish about switching OSes, which I'm not.

oh boy and what is the other 75%?
maybe we should call it systemd/xorg/(gnome/kde/xfce)/gnu/linux!

winrar

A common mistake is to confuse GNU/Linux with just Linux. By the term "Linux", technologically uniformed people mean desktop Linux distros that are mostly GNU/Linux. Of course, this is technically wrong.

>tripfag
>makes retarded post
wew lad
you should probably take after Uriel

Who started the project? GNU. So get used to it, you corporate cock sucker.
What? It is very simple. The complex thing is modifying your laptop to run Mac OS.

Looks like I flustered your butt a little bit. If it helps you can rub some lotion around your asshole so it stops itching.
>Uriel
who

Devuan just works and doesn't have the systemd problem.

Sup Poojeet and Rajj, let me know what your OS doesn't delete your documents when it updates.

>What does Jow Forums think of using OSX on a non-Apple laptop?
It's not that hard. You'll probably need a new wireless card for WLAN and Bluetooth though.

>Is OSX moving to a subscription model?
No.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-30_04-11-26.png (1366x768, 109K)

Do you seriously have Considered Harmful as you name and not know who Uriel is?

Don't reply to him, his autism level is beyond the normalcy of Jow Forums.

I wasn't aware of the hardware issues, but I think a new wireless card is an acceptable price to pay, considering that linux is limiting my career and windows will soon be asking about that price per month for their miserably shitty bloatfest of an operating system.

I recommend hackintoshing a desktop, since you'll be able to build it yourself and pick every part and make sure it's all 100% compatible with macOS. If you do that then the only incompatible part will be your on board BIOS/EFI firmware which can't boot macOS. To get around this you simply install the Clover bootloader which will emulate the EFI of a real Mac.

If you really wanna hackintosh a laptop it's gonna be a huge pain in the ass to get it working and you can't use just any laptop. Buy something like a T or X series ThinkPad with Intel graphics. Everything else is gonna be a bitch to get working.

This. And you can just use SSH to remotely control the Mac OS desktop from a GNU laptop.

*GNU/Linux

No, Linus. Just GNU.

*IBM/systemd

Any Fedora lads thinking about switching after the IBM buyout? I dont think a company as stringy as the big blue dinosaurs is going two shits about desktop Linux.

Hi there

Attached: henlo fren.png (733x286, 35K)

You moving to another distro doesn't affect desktop Linux in any shape or form. RedHat is and always be the lead developer of desktop linux.

I agreed with you until I saw fortnite

Opinion discarded

Attached: citation_needed.jpg (800x600, 66K)