Streaming as the future of games?

Is this it bros? Is this the future of the industry? Subscription based gaming? End of Goystation, XBucks, Nintendon't platforms in favor of games run on Linux VMs on a server? AAA gaming on mobile devices? .......The realisation dreams of linux surpassing windows in gaming?.....What are your thoughts on this?

Attached: Screenshot_04-14-08.png (793x623, 303K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/FgbhLwrB
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this was mentioned like ten years ago, so no

ten years ago, smartphones were just becoming a thing, internet speeds were pretty shit and streaming was not big as it is now... a lot has changed....

BUT MUH OFFLINE GAYMES

You own NOTHING goyim

i can't imagine me not having physical copies of things i buy.

>not having physical copies of things i buy
based luddite

>internet speeds were pretty shit
Bandwidth has jack-shit to do with it. Latency still exists and will always exist.

internet latency has not improved at all in ten years. and LTE still has a baseline latency of around 100ms which is complete sci fi bullshit and also still way too high to stream a video game

shit dude, 60ms is too high to stream a video game and thats generally considered 'good' for gaming. pushing any real volume of low latency streaming services over internet infrastructure is not really feasible and it's not due to a lack of technology it's due to a lack of interest and infrastructure

kids only want to play games on their smart phones, so yes. Nintendo will be the leader because the Switch is so weak companies have to stream their multiplat games.

I'm done with gaming the moment it goes streaming only. Been playing all games in japanese and importing them from japan for years. Streaming would lock me into an environment of translations when I understand the original language - that's not something I'd ever sign up for.

Stop using non-free operating systems and programs, /v/.

you do realise that a lot of games let you choose the language you want.

Not going to happen. I was in that nVidia streaming service beta a while back. I'm practically down the street from the fucking server and it was still unplayable. Easily 200ms of latency, completely unplayable for most types of games. Even if you theoretically could play, say, a turn based JRPG style game (do those even still exist?) under those conditions, I personally wouldn't want to.

>horrendous input lag
>you at the center
lel

Attached: 1519234624717.png (700x705, 338K)

um i'm sure if you set the language setting in the os to japanese you would get your primitive asian language version of the game. did you just post this to try and sound cultured or something? i don't get it why you think you wouldn't have this choice.

okay then
>5-10 years from now
>CDN and server infrastructure has improved
>most people have a slightly less shittier internet connection
would game streaming be feasible then?

No because latency would still be shit.

only if everyone had FTTH and every city had their own servers. Then you might get like laggy TV gameplay.

Quads have spoken
In reality people already buy boxes with a code

Attached: Pokemon-RBY.png (1000x500, 763K)

I don't see the structure of the internet undergoing a dramatic revolution in 5-10 years. No matter what, that signal is being routed through multiple relays, each adding a delay, in addition to the delay imposed by the physical distance itself. It's physically impossible to have 0 latency streaming. And considering that the trend in PC gaming is towards faster displays with lower response times for the best possible control, I don't see people suddenly throwing that all away for the worst gaming experience in gaming history in terms of responsiveness.

>latency would be shit
okaayyy then if we had fantasticaly low latency ~1ms in the future would this work? Is latency really the only factor limiting the shift to streaming?

the speed of light = 984000 ft/s

>not using metric
kys americuck

Attached: map of countries who put a man on the moon.png (1427x628, 43K)

>map of countries who put a man on the moon using the metric system.png
Exactly.

Streaming means you own NOTHING, and that's a good thing. If it's the future, it is so merely on the back of corporate greed, and no other reason.

I'd love that. I move to a new country about every 2-5 years, so I end up buying a completely new rig every fucking time - and I'm not convinced enough to buy one of those gaymer laptops. If the experience would be close enough to having a 'local' machine, I'd be definitely interested.

I just don't see it happening to become profitable AND good enough in the next 5 years or so. But let's see. This Shadow thing might be worth checking out.

moon is fake dude just look into it

faggiest post ITT

>I move to a new country about every 2-5 years, so I end up buying a completely new rig every fucking time

why not take your rig with you?

>hurr durr i only play games that require intricate knowledge of east asian language and culture in order to bang underage anime gurls

Attached: summertime_high_school_cover.jpg (998x590, 181K)

And yet, 12 years ago I was playing WoW on my dumbphone at work via a java vnc client.

>can't even wirelessly stream video directly from a GPU to a VR headset 4 feet away without significant latency using dedicated hardware
>WE'RE GOING TO GET THE INPUT FROM YOUR PC, ENCODE IT, SEND IT TO OUR SERVERS HUNDREDS OF MILES AWAY ACROSS A DOZEN RELAYS, DECODE IT, FEED IT INTO THE GAME, RENDER IT, CAPTURE THE VIDEO OUTPUT, ENCODE IT, SEND IT BACK TO YOU HUNDREDS OF MILES AWAY ACROSS A DOZEN RELAYS, DECODE IT, THEN DISPLAY IT TO YOU, ALL WITH NO LATENCY!

Sounds realistic. Extra points for gaming devices connected over a wifi connection which aren't known for their low latency.

Seriously, if it was even remotely possible then VR headsets would've all been wireless from the start.

Jesus christ, what phone were you using back then? how'd even load and control a vnc client on those things?

Attached: download.jpg (243x208, 8K)

When I was a kid I played my NES on a television where the top 50% of the screen didn't display and the entire image was squashed into the remaining 50% of the screen.

Just because you "could" do something doesn't mean it was an ideal gaming experience.

My friends look at me confused when I tell them I'd rather store my music on my phone rather than stream it every time.

This won't ever take off on PC
Console niggers can eat shit like this all they want

What is caching

It's a con to put 5g access points every 100 square yards in cities.

>you'll get much better rates with our "living standard" wireless !!!

It's failed so bad. 5g is terrible, SSD is terrible, Intel is terrible.

Computing hasn't advanced in 10 years. because the NSA is constantly trying to force us to fund their next generation spy garbage that doesn't even work right.

it's when you put music files on your phone

Attached: 5a7471db46a288fe068b4651-750-563.png (750x563, 395K)

Great, instead of paying 5 € during steam sale you pay 10 per month per game, fuggn awesome!

the normies will buy it simply because it comes with the new stuff.

Every TV, laptop, computer and millions of other devices will have 5g built in.

ISPs are already forcing people to use 5g

Verizon forces you to have 5g if you want to use anything other than internet, which nobody with half a brain does.

i have a semi autistic setup where i download flacs and store them on hdd and there's a python script running in the background which encodes those songs with opus encoder and stores them in owncloud. owncloud is synced on my phone.

mind sharing that script plz

You should use LAME standard mode unless you need the low latency of Opus, which I don't see why you do. Much better audio quality.

faggot

Because

a) moving a desktop is a pain in the arse when you're already dragging along several suitcases
b) shipping it after arrival is a pain in the ass, because if you're crossing a customs border, you essentially pay about 50% of the value of the goods in customs fees

Sometimes I do feel like I should give those shitty gaming laptops a go, people say OK-ish things about i.e. the Helios series. But they are just fucking loud..

This reminds me of a solar roads meme.

>can't gather much energy putting it on the roof where it is ideally oriented towards sun, doesn't need to withstand a pressure of couple tonnes and can be cooled much better.
>WE'RE GOING TO PUT IT ON THE ROAD WHERE TRUCKS GO, WHERE THE SUN IS NOT HITTING IT DIRECTLY AND WHERE THERE IS NO LAYER FOR COOLING.BUT FUCK IT FUTURE SHOULD BE GREEN AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING?.

Pretty good argument. I had a Steam Link for a while, and though it's a pretty solid solution, it has its issues - despite the fact that your rig is in the next room, connected through CAT5 or whatever. And I wouldn't pay 20 freedom bucks for something that doesn't work great.

>68279573

google is investing billions into this, so yes

it's easy to do. just look up a python tutorial and learn to search stuff. at least you'll spend your time somewhat productive. look up automate the boring stuff with python.
i use opus mainly because it has good quality at lower bitrates ie smaller filesize. guess i could test out lame since mp3s are compatible with everything - even my kettle.

you should probably keep opus then, especially if you're using it for podcasts

I use 32kbps LAME for old radio broadcasts and honestly they sound identical to the full bitrate versions to me

just buy a console then you fucking fag, if you’re dumb enough to think streaming would be good then console is right up your alley

>if you’re dumb enough to think streaming would be good

Well, I'm clearly (literacy anyone?) of the opinion that it is not going to be good enough anytime soon.

>Bandwidth has jack-shit to do with it
Even if you're playing at 720p and 30fps you still need a stable 2Mbps, which is something majority of people didn't have back then. So yes, speed was one of the issues. Latency will apparently get better with 5G.

I remember that vnc voodoo. It was pretty light. Old dumbphones weren't as shit as current ones are.

no
and youre retarded for even considering it, retard.

Or:

- build a compact desktop, e.g. node 202
- get an eGPU

30ms ping becoming input lag is unacceptable, maybe when network latencey + input latency is under 3ms this will be possible. Assuming they actually try this it will of course be a complete failure.

I was thinking about that, but I somehow doubt it's portable enough to keep around, and there's like a 20% performance drop compared to a PCIe solution. I'll look into it some more, though. I like the idea of having a tiny desktop.

No it already fails once 5buears ago, it's just not worth.

Cant Imagen a bigger faggot

The streaming and SaaS memes are as anti-freedom as it gets.
But judging from Cuckflix and Shitify, zoomers don't care about freedom as long as they get instant gratification.
Expect the worst.

I'm already annoyed with my tv's latency for playing muh miku gaems, I don't want to add any more delay.

Moving to a new country most likely will amke it unusable. Realistically how many servers can they have that have low latency for games? Yea In the big cities of America and 1 2 in Europe Asia, and that is the best case scenario.
Moving to Australia will be like never seeing your games again.

You already don't own your games or software, soon you won't even own the computer you run them on.
Welcome to the future

>BUT FUCK IT FUTURE SHOULD BE GREEN AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING?.

I am not buying Intel processors.

I have a Nvidia now beta access and pubg is surprisingly playable. Lag is ofcourse there but playable.

That's not the case. For example I recently got Dark Souls Remastered, japanese copy. When I set the OS language to english the game is still in japanese.

Also not all games ar released in all regions.

eh, figured i'd share it. i'm no pro programmer but this just werks so no bulli
pastebin.com/FgbhLwrB

>TACH
>YYYYYY-Y-Y-Y-EONS

Attached: tumblr_mcqgcu37r41qcpnzho1_500.jpg (500x333, 65K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive

Tell me more about what it was like growing up grandpa

script had some errors. replace create_folder_structure() and encode_files() with the following:
def create_folder_structure(sync_folder, file_list):
# creates folder structure based on file list i.e. creates missing folders
for file in file_list:
folder = sync_folder + path.dirname(file)
if not path.exists(folder):
makedirs(folder)

def encode_files(music_folder, sync_folder, input, output):
# this script assumes your encoder (in this case ffmpeg) is in your PATH variable
# errors may occur if you pass a non-audio file but script should still work
for file in input:
name, extension = path.splitext(file)
if path.dirname(file) == "\\":
music_path = music_folder + "\\"
sync_path = sync_folder + "\\"
else:
music_path = music_folder + path.dirname(file) + "\\"
sync_path = sync_folder + path.dirname(file) + "\\"
rename(music_folder + file, music_path + "temp" + extension)
call(f"ffmpeg -i \"{music_path}temp{extension}\" -c:a libopus -b:a 64k -vbr on \"{sync_path}temp.opus\"")
rename(music_path + "temp" + extension, music_folder + file)
rename(sync_path + "temp.opus", sync_path + path.basename(name) + ".opus")