/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1458833119357.png (600x469, 405K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=712019
youtube.com/watch?v=nawS48A6NTs
install-logos.github.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hi Jow Forums! I'm new-ish to Linux and I'd like to get Twinview or Xinerama or honestly anything working on Ubuntu 16.04 to be able to play games fullscreen across my multiple monitors with my NVIDIA card. I've looked around and tried a few things to no success, but most forums users seem to just think I'm fucked for attempting this. Am I fucked?

How to take a screenshot of the framebuffer/tty (not in VM)?

Green isd mi peppr :DDD

Attached: GIMP_Pepper.png (640x640, 190K)

anyone know which color variable controls grep matching in fish?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-10-30 at 13.07.00.png (854x88, 47K)

wanna see me kill this thread?
i use systemd

can i use spacemacs without x server?
i want to use it in a headless vm

BSD/Linux when?

I read somewhere that all supercomputers in the world use Linux. So I wondered, can you forkbomb it as well with
:(){ :|:& };:

?

Any of you guys running a pci passthrough and if so what OS. I'm sick of Fedora and I'm looking for some other options to do it.

Problem with firefox 63.
Webm related

Attached: 1510441023402.webm (682x358, 121K)

opensuse

>he's not using wayfire

Attached: 1527229447806s.jpg (250x223, 10K)

I have looked through the recommended distro pic. I have tried mint, xubuntu, and ubuntu. I'm using a t420. If possible I'd like a distro that increases performance but allows me to rice in the standard Jow Forums minimalist fashion. I'm not sure if I'm ready for debian but I have never tried it.

Why would it be different in fish?
Also: man grep.

Linux is a kernel.

Just give it a go in a VM to feel safe, then go balls deep.

Hmmm, I never thought about it this way.

fish has its own syntax highlighting. if I run grep in another shell it won't highlight the matching text the same way

I saw Deepin OS on someones laptop and it looked kinda neat. What are Jow Forums's thoughts about it? I liked the clear look and it looks like it could be quite minimal

Looking for a distro that's like KDE Neon (i.e. latest KDE but stable everything else).

I tried using KDE Neon but I get this bug bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=712019

Can I install debian stable and somehow get the latest KDE releases?

You could try Kubuntu 18.04 + backports

pretty sure the issue is whatever kernel 18.04 is using since I didn't get the issue with fedora, arch, manjaro.

the distro itself doesnt really matter

if you want to focus on saving resources, you choose an efficient window manager. dwm for example.

should i learn to compile programs, do you know what to put in the command line when you want to compile a program or do you just copy and paste?

Hey guys, I'm using mupdf on Lubuntu and all the keyboard shortcuts work but I'm having trouble copying/pasting text. in the man page it says that text can be selected using right click + drag and then consequently copied using ctrl + c, problem is the output is always some messed up mangled text (from the same document) but not the selected text itself. Does anyone know how to fix?

Attached: mupdf.png (107x104, 8K)

Is there a way for debian to scan my system to install non-free drivers?

just enable non-free and install linux-firmware-nonfree
linux will detect things on it's own, debian just doesn't ship with non-free firmware files by default

Then what you could do is install ukuu and use a newer kernel that way.

What's the best distro? I don't want to fall for the memes.

Ubuntu with a lightweight DE

Debian/Devuan. Dont know which one for bleeding edge though.

Too shady

>I don't want to fall for the memes.
Then maybe you should ask someone else.

Attached: where do you think we are.jpg (498x441, 39K)

Source Mage GNU/Linux

Which is better for noobs; i3, Awesome, dwm, monsterwm, or something else?

i3

My laptop running debian randomly teleports up/down the page when I go to scroll after a bit of leaving it.
i.e. I'll go to scroll and immediately jump to a part of the page.
Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

youtube.com/watch?v=nawS48A6NTs

why aren't you running a DE entirely made in html/css3/js, user?

fuck the kernel

Got a new mouse.For like the first 10 minutes after booting, all the extra buttons give assignments, but suddenly 2 of the buttons stop responding in xev and various programs.
What could cause this?

opensuse

Install lo/g/os.
install-logos.github.io/

Attached: 1540913485415.png (1920x1080, 151K)

anyone?

c-can I learn linux straight from ubuntu server or should I use a normal non-server distro first

Yes, ubuntu server is just another metapackage from ubuntu.

I wouldn't know how to fix that, I just wanted to say that I tried mupdf and couln't get used to it, but I found zathura with the mupdf plugin a much better alternative for a lightweight pdf viewer. Maybe you should check it out.

Still looking for help getting all the settings modules to show in conqueror on Kubuntu 18.04. Any way to make KDE not suck?

mega link is dead

How

Thanks man it looks snappy, I'll try it out

I'm going to use OpenBox. Fuck the system!

Xorg is broken

>arch based os
>xorg is broken
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In fact that's the first time i see that, i never had problems with Xorg before and i use arch since few years.
The logos installer is 2-3 years old so that's surely the main reason.

I've been using Windows all my life and upon realizing I don't actually need Windows for too much, I think now's the time to switch.

I tried Xubuntu in virtualbox as the internet/wiki recommends it as a good starter and I want to test the waters. Is it normal for youtube videos to lag for 2 seconds when pausing & playing? Or is that a VM thing?

Also, I want to use one of the brainlet-tier distros and read the babbies page on the wiki, but I'm hearing they're becoming more and more compromised? I also heard systemd should be avoided at all costs. What's this thread's consensus on these?

Also, is this still relevant?

>On 20 February 2016, Mint's website was compromised and backdoors were planted in the downloads, the database for Linux Mint forums were also compromised., some have raised concerns for this, warning people not to use Linux Mint.

That's from 2016 so no

>in virtualbox

Attached: 1532916700110s.jpg (200x250, 4K)

hey HEY, I thought this was a FRIENDLY thread?

Im on a laptop with mint installed, how can I make it portrait mode? (basically 768x1366)

>shitpost
>get called on it
>no response
the classic /fglt/

xrandr --output LVDS1 --rotate left
(adjust "LVDS1" to suit, run "xrandr" to find out the names of your outputs)

How do I fix this awful looking text on Debian?
Some letters are randomly bolder than others and the whole thing looks like jaggedy shit. How do I fix this?

Attached: awful-text.png (843x32, 11K)

Surly backdoors get old after a while and stop working.

>no response
I asked how you dimwit, and by the way there is nothing wrong with Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Attached: f***you.gif (500x228, 1.95M)

>ubuntu-report
- sends hardware informations
+ ubuntu-report -f send no
+ block access to metrics.ubuntu.com

>popularity-contest
- sends software informations
+ apt purge popularity-contest
+ rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest

>whoopsie
- can send crash reports
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ apt purge whoopsie

>50-motd-news
- sends informations, receives motd news/ads
+ set ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/motd-news

>geoclue/geoip
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ gsettings set com.ubuntu.geoip geoip-url ""

>lightdm
- pings uccs.landscape.canonical.com at login
+ set Servers= in /etc/remote-login-service.conf

this is 4 chan !!

Attached: average-bulgarian-family.jpg (320x180, 17K)

I have just installed xfce4 on arch linux. When I tile my terminal (xfce terminal) I get gaps. Does anyone know how to solve this? Using another terminal emulator solves the problem.

Attached: xfceterminal.png (1042x616, 81K)

meh 2much werk
i3 is lazy, add
workspace_layout tabbed
hide_edge_borders smart
and you're done

eeyyaaahahhhh!!!

I'm out of function keys to bind, what other keys arent used?

xev

Do i need to install the non-free intel-microcode package for the x220 on Debian?

Yes, i am using xev.
I have f13-f35 bound but i have 2 more buttons i need mapped. What other keys can i use? I dont want to use XF86 keys in case i need them properly mapped for desktop functions

>need
no
>should
If you don't mint nonfree firmwares, yes. They contain updated microcode with fixes for known vulnerabilities and problems.

>They contain updated microcode with fixes for known vulnerabilities and problems.
And none of these fixes are in the kernel or firmware-linux-free package?
I just kind of wanted to try and see if i could go full freetard on my thinkpad but i guess i cant.

>she censors his filenames
>she uses edgy middleschooler raection gifs
>theres nothing wrong with *ubuntu
C*te!

Attached: d2fc689d88f06bf5be67f8644e.jpg (837x756, 128K)

sorry but Im clueless about the terminal, can you explain that in simpler terms?

>And none of these fixes are in the kernel or firmware-linux-free package?
No. Processor firmware are proprietary. The kernel code may contain workarounds and mitigations for certain processor vulnerabilities but those aren't real fixes, only patches on the side of a damaged ship.

I guess its not possible then to go full freetard is it?

For laptops like Thinkpads, do you need to install a separate driver for wi-fi to work?

Most of the time yes

Depends on the laptop. My T400 has an Atheros wifi which works OOB with any modern distro.
Others might have freedom hating intel or broadcom wifi where you need proprietary drivers or use alternative methods to access wifi, such as a freedom respecting wifi dongle. If you libreboot/coreboot the laptop you can replace the internal wifi hardware to something that doesn't shit on free systems.

>Or is that a VM thing?

Best way to check it out is to make a LiveCD/USB and test it that way. Virtual machines can be very laggy on slower machines.

nop

any materials on learning vim? should i just go for anything i found on yt?

the reason it does this is because it tells the window manager to only resize it in multiples of the character width/height. I don't know if you can override that from the outside. you could change it in the source somewhere, but I don't know if the program will still work properly if you do that.

Run vimtutor, faggot.

use qutebrowser for a couple of hours. you’ll become a god at vim

I fixed this for my urxvt a while ago by telling it not to send sizehints. Copy pasted a patch from some "urxvt something something sizehints" package in the AUR and recompiled for Debian. I was so proud, lel.

thanks

>she censors his filenames
>she uses edgy middleschooler reaction gifs
Holy shit choose one you bipolar autist

One what?

One Love, betafag, never forget

Attached: S63U9C4K8A845D8I9CK.png (1750x1750, 775K)

i give up

Where to find cute linux chicks?

Attached: 1540926967192.jpg (399x576, 152K)

I want to use Debian Testing but i'm a bit confused about the security updates and setting up my sources.list. On the wiki it says to remove the security updates from sources.list meaning I won't receive security updates. I've also read that testing can receive security updates, but its always delayed and is not a priority compared to stable. So what is the proper way to setup testing with security updates?

I'm trying to get grub menu to not show at all and boot directly into loonix but it just doesn't works.

I have set
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
And sudo update-grub2 but it just keeps the 10 seconds timeout.

>free girls use ubuntu
>free girls
Hookers, but without paying. Amazing.