SO-DIMMs in the new mac mini

WHY THE FUCK ISN'T ANYONE TALKING ABOUT THIS?
THEY PUT SO-DIMMS BACK IN THE NEW MAC MINI
I swear, I'm not an Apple shill and I think you should avoid all their soldered together piece lf trash like the plague, especially the macbook air they introduced today. However, this is the first mac with user-upgradeable memory in four years.
Do you think they're listening? Will they release a proper Mac Pro next year?

Attached: mac-mini-2.jpg (620x619, 179K)

POO IN LOO

Attached: 1528412857664.jpg (643x960, 256K)

all the users that "think different" will love this!

HAHA, YES FELLOW NPC, LET US MAKE THE SAME POO JOKE
//$ERR: FAILED TO USE "com.critical.thought"
//$fallback: "com.apple.repeatjoke"

Attached: npcdroid.jpg (533x539, 14K)

big if true

>Will they release a proper Mac Pro next year?
i have a little hope, at least

but knowing apple it'll have some fatal flaw like cooling that can barely handle the cpu at idle or a soldered ssd (or they'll make the modular expandable one we always dreamed of, only it's basically an itx pc and you're stuck with a single fucking pcie slot and thunderbolt boxes for everything else you might need to run)

The price is fucking retarded though.
$1099 gets you an i5 and 8GB of RAM.

Yeah it's pretty overpriced. I'd say wait for the 2019 modular Mac Pro, that should be pretty dang good.
This Mac Mini doesn't give you too much for the price, you're paying for the looks more than anything.

>NPCHP
Gross

Of course the price is retarded, this is nuApple we're talking about. And so is the audience. They literally said the new air and the new mini are made out of the leftover aluminium from the wodsagombuder ipad. And they clapped and they cheered at the fact that they're made out of literal trash. Yet there wasn't a single clap when they mentioned the SO-DIMM memory. What the fuck? That's why I made the thread, not even mac news sites which bitched and moaned (as they should) about all these years of soldered ram are giving special mention to this.
Fuck the "modular" concept. I want PCIe and memory slots. Not proprietary modules à la Performa. If they make proprietary modules, we all know they'll be overpriced, and will probably change connector and/or form factor every new generation so you can't upgrade your machine.

Remember when Apple made a Power Mac with 6 PCI slots?

>WHY THE FUCK ISN'T ANYONE TALKING ABOUT THIS?
Probably because it's a overpriced fashionable machine. Jow Forums users should be capable of hackintosh.

>Do you think they're listening?
Doubt it, but maybe. Or maybe they found some kind of advantage in it to themselves. Looks in the pic like it could save space. Either way they know most people arent gonn upgrade by themselves anyways.

>I'd say wait for the 2019 modular Mac Pro, that should be pretty dang good.
And extremely overpriced especially considering it will have intel and not kikeripper

I'll wait to see ifixit's teardown before thinking about getting one

I've been running hackintosh for over a year. I want off this train. It's been nothing but a pain.

The quad core one doesn't have fucking turbo boost.

3.0 ghz clocks. max.

Jesus what a scam.

more concerned with rowhammer exploit, spectre and meltdown
Touch ID and T2 chip is what more people should be talking about

Hackintosh Mojave?

>$799

Hahaha yeah nope

Ah, the good ol' 9600. I would fucking kill for one of them.
OP here. I use a hackintosh and multiple PowerPC Macs, I wouldn't touch anything post-2012 from Apple with a ten foot pole. I sure as fuck aren't buying this mini either, maybe in seven or eight years if I find one really cheap or something.
Touch ID is a fucking gimmick and so is the T2.
>Hackintosh Mojave?
What is your question?

>user-upgradeable
>Has Security Chip for restrict users.

Please kill yourself.

Attached: 1540631812683.jpg (500x500, 54K)

max turbo is only when 1 core is in use anyway user

>Without turbo boost a macbook air probably runs certain things faster.

why does the security chip have HEVC encoding? i don't understand

Attached: dunkey.webm (640x360, 1.07M)

Could you theoretically run Mojave on a hackintosh

Touch ID is some mathematical representation of your fingerprint and I read the T2 white paper on their website real quick and that looks OK, not really a gimmick imo

>user-upgradeable memory

LMAO you actually believe they will let you upgrade it yourself? 11/10 odds that it will brick itself if it's not done at an apple service center that puts in proprietary modules and has software to get around DRM.

>theoretically

Dude, everyone and his mother who's using hackintosh is running Mojave. Shit it's been working pretty well.

Why would they specifically mention that the memory is SO-DIMM then? In the iMac Pro presentation they didn't mention the memory being on DIMMs, because even though they are upgradeable, they don't want the end user to do it. Plus, the T2 locks the computer down when you replace the SSD, so far it seems you can replace the memory in the iMac Pros just fine.
They probably took that module from the A12X and slapped it on the only custom piece of silicon in the entire machine, since that way it's cheaper to make. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the T2 was just a binned A12/A12X die with defective cores disabled.
Of course you can. There are at least six or seven anons running Mojave hackintoshes on Jow Forums, and I have already made the installer USB for mine. Currently waiting on some memory modules to arrive to do the full upgrade.
Again, if it isn't user-upgradeable, why did they specifically mention it's SO-DIMMs? Why would they even bother to make it SO-DIMMs at all? All their computers have had soldered memory for the past four years, except for the iMac Pro, and that's because fitting 128GiB of ram on a motherboard of such size would be impossible with today's tech. And also because they're locked behind a glue barrier.

My thought was exactly just that, at least they had the decency to not solder the RAM.

Storage? Who cares, it's a stationary machine, just attach a Samsung T5 and you're gold.

Unfortunately, I need macOS because of iOS. If I had to buy a mac, I would buy the mac mini with 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD and the hexacore upgrade. Luckily, I already have a 15" MacBook Pro (2015 model, no memebar shit), but Apple is really squeezing the consumer harder and harder...

Going by part picker and getting similar aluminium case from Luna Design nets around 600$ tho, but if it’s base model started with i5 it would be the best Apple product in years.

>Plus, the T2 locks the computer down when you replace the SSD

That's retarded and back to front in itself. The only way that would make sense would be to have the filesystem's encryption key stored in the T2 so that the SSD can't be simply removed from the computer and read elsewhere.

Just toss a hackingtosh together

iPOOJEETS BTFO

>soldered down 128GB SSD for $799

Is this this the day MacOS begins to die as the music production platform?

SAVE US BASED SCATMAN

Attached: 1513200204245.jpg (250x252, 14K)

Well, yes. That's probably an even better option. We have a ThinkCentre lying around that we turned into a hackintosh, but we had to buy a GPU (GT710), a USB Bluetooth adapter and a USB Sound card to make it work properly.

>That's retarded and back to front in itself.
It is. Apparently this machine has the SSD soldered down, too.
As
Said, most people will just chuck external hard drives at it. Or since it can be configured with 10GbE and NASs are pretty widespread these days, I can see people storing everything on the network.
I sure as hell do, I only have a single 128GB SSD in my hackintosh as a boot drive, and store everything on my homeserver.
However, this is no excuse for soldering down the SSD to the board instead lf using an m.2 drive.

NO SWEARING

because you can buy 2 ryzen embedded systems for the price of the 4core
get faster memory on it
have infinite more flexibility
drive 4 4k 60hz monitors
and still having more money to spend

>SSD soldered down
>RAM off to the side and hard to access

Why even retain the round removable plug then?

Does it run macOS? No? Then GTFO. People by mac minis because of macOS, not because of the specs.

>Dimms stacked on top of each other and the main pcb
It's only one product among a ton of non-serviceable ones. For now I'd say it's more about space saving, and using sodimms was the cheapest approach.

Yes...? We're not in 2012 anymore.

Do you think NPCHD will review this?

Well at least we can upgrade the Jow Forums mac mini cluster servers again. Although without Moot and Hiro in charge we might have some serious downtime.

Attached: sBLRuZY.jpg (1220x608, 154K)

people will buy mac minis because of the apple cult and their ignorance nothing more

Remember when Thunderbolt didn’t exist?

I'd genuinely consider one if it included a standard M.2 SSD.

Alas, apple fucked up.

They could've even spared board space by factoring it out into an M.2 connector. It's indefensible, and 128gb is a joke.

I really feel sad about the way Apple has gone. Back in the day i had a Mac Mini core 2 duo, that i upgraded myself and used as my HTPC for a good long while until i eventually got a NUC. Now i think i'm going for something i'll build myself.

It feels like that somewhere in the decision making chain is someone who doesn't get PCs and thinks they should be more like phones.

and lose the opportunity to charge more for few gb's more?

its like you never knew apple

Wow, that's pretty fucking cool.
They shouldn't have remove this in the first place, though.
Definitely a step in the right direction.
Maybe they will actually bring back the proper, full-desktop Mac Pro?

I noticed that too. Can't install your own SSD though.

This.
macOS is the reason I would buy Mac. Shame Windows 10 is such hot garbage.

Honestly with apples prices these days I’m tossing up a hackintosh, the latest keynote was the last straw, I was expecting an affordable macbook air or mac mini but they are way overpriced, AGAIN. ffs. How hard is a hackintosh REALLY? I’m an apple user so you have to be slow for me.

>And extremely overpriced especially considering it will have intel and not kikeripper
Intel probably has Apple grabbed by the balls with some kind of contract, like Intel does with its server market.

Tell me how the security chip restricts users.
>inb4 I cant send it to my favorite kike-pretending-to-be-italian repairman
Granted. It sucks. The cost of Apple of avoiding the Intel chipset.

I couldn't stop thinking of that image when he was listing off the companies that run off of Mac Minis in the keynote.

I knew that mac colocation centers where a thing. I would like to see a proper Xserve though.

>SSD is still soldered
Based?