Why the FUCK are you not using groff Jow Forums?

Why the FUCK are you not using groff Jow Forums?
>minimul
>doesn't take up 3 gigs of space on your /
>much more readable in the terminal
>can make your own macros
>preprossessing is easy
>follows the unix way
>is properly GPL'd
there's no excuse not to.
Word and libreoffice cucks need not apply.

Attached: Cute Website.png (921x646, 163K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hydrangeagarden.neocities.org/.
mbakeranalecta.github.io/sam/
web.archive.org/web/20180910130033/http://home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/
chuzzlewit.co.uk/utp_book-1.1.pdf
tutorialspoint.com/unix_commands/grohtml.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I prefer semantic markup, but I might use it more as an output format since pandoc added an ms writer. I already use the man writer a lot.

>not just writing your documents using vi and plaintext
not gonna make it

Already made it, and I do use vi(m)

How do you all write documentation for retards? I work IT and constantly write how to make things function and how to use things so lower IT doesn't bother me while I do something important.

I've been using libreoffice w/ a table of contents, but images slow it down a lot.

Anyone else document for end users and low level internal that has a superior work flow?

Markdown

Lukites fuck off

I've been interested in it! Looks like pandoc likes it a lot as well. Thanks user!

> it's a Luke Smith thread

I use tex because auctex is great, and I use a lot of ctan packages. If I made simple little pdfs I would look into groff, but I don't see the point when I already know tex .

So everybody saw the new Luke Smith's video

>been championing groff on Jow Forums for ages
>everyone ignored or laughed at me
>some bald memester mentions it
>now everyone's all over it

are you gonna be happy or bitter?
the reaction is yours to make and speaks about you as a person.

Happy that people might start to use, and develop for, groff; bitter that it is because of an e-celeb rather than groff's own merits.

t.never had to write anything above a high-school level report

I would, but I just export org-mode documents to latex instead. Way easier and less burdensome out of the box as you dont actually have to use latex syntax unless its something very specific.

Tbh I prefer RST, Markdown is a little bit too simple for my uses at least, and since they even encourage every distributor to wirte their implementation it makes it a little fragmented imo. I had also used sphinx quite a bit in the past so I got used to it.

I saw that gnu/autist's video too

But I am using groff

>tfw been talking about groff on Jow Forums
>tfw nobody noticed until Luke made a video
I know how you feel

>start watching channel cause good content
>think it's weird we share names and come from similar backgrounds
>start watching live streams one day
>find out hes a white ethno state type
>wtf.jpg

It just ruined it for me. Weird we both are white and grew up in black neighborhoods but he became a racist/linguist. And I became an IT pro with a black wife.

I must be a bit more chad than him.

no reason to use this over LaTeX

Not only that, but he had it so he pre-processed his refer demonstration with refer rather than just using the -R option.

All you had to do is demonstrate how groff can be useful, something as simple as making webms or a youtube video does wonders to promote your software.

Attached: kakoune.webm (958x527, 726K)

Get back to your linguistics papers Luke.

I have to work on the video quality though, the screengrab is from a homemade script

Attached: Elvis editor working with groff on the terminal.webm (1280x720, 134K)

>there are people on Jow Forums who haven't read brian kernighan's other masterpiece
It literally introduces you to troff and how to unix like it's 1984.

Attached: the unix programming environment.jpg (1130x1467, 143K)

for libvpx videos, just up the bitrate to something over 4M and you shouldn't have compression issues, especially for something like static text

I'd bet that if two users of groff met on this board it's you and I. Pretty much every time the old O'Reily book got posted it was me.

For that you need to set the database source between the .R[1-2] tags.

It's not like it would matter even if I did.

LyX. Website link: hydrangeagarden.neocities.org/.

Why didn't he use tags instead of a bloated flash player for audio?

prove it

was that book written with roff?

It was. The one I post though is a recreation, and they posted the source complete with their awk scripts.

It'll be fun seeing Luke defend it when it comes to tables of contents appearing at the front of the document.

Asciidoc is good too if you need more complex things. It's a lightweight markup version of DocBook XML.

A lesser-known one I find interesting is sam
mbakeranalecta.github.io/sam/
The syntax is like a cross between YAML and Markdown

why bother when groff is included with the coreutils?

Here it is
web.archive.org/web/20180910130033/http://home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/

And here's the output, which is better than the scanned version going around:
chuzzlewit.co.uk/utp_book-1.1.pdf

>It'll be fun seeing Luke defend it when it comes to tables of contents appearing at the front of the document.
The pdf macro puts them in place though.

same ;_;

Can I write web pages like the one in the OP with groff?

tutorialspoint.com/unix_commands/grohtml.htm

These are semantic markup languages, not typesetting tools like groff, they serve a different purpose. You might still use groff to produce the actual output.

>tfw will never be an 80's unix hagger writing shit in troff, impressing people with simple shell scripts etc
It's literally what I'm doing now to rice my desktop

But only if you use -ms.

>tables of contents appearing at the front of the document.
wait what's wrong with that?

Fuck off Luke, nobody watches your videos.

Nothing. But groff puts them at the back because it's entirely linier and can't put things behind where it has already gone.

So what you're saying is this lets me compile documents the same way I would compile programs?
I can keep plaintext files organized in any fashion I want and maintain a single makefile to compile it into a website or book or whatever?

Shut up, Luke.
Here's your (You).

Attached: luke_smith.png (420x630, 63K)

Couldn't make webms recording not look like shit, had to make an intermediary step.

Attached: Elvis with groff again.webm (1280x720, 959K)

Yes, there are many such typesetting/markup tools that operate similarly, where you author in "plain" text with markup and then build output docs with a CLI tool you can invoke in a Makefile.

wait so how does the book have the TOC at the front?

Ignore that, you can use the pdf macro to put the toc at front

A shit load of awk scripts. There's a chapter in the book that describes it vaguely.

>shit load
I beg to differ

OK, let me rephrase: more than you should have to have to make a ToC appear at the right place. Not to mention that -ms (the macro pdfroff works on) doesn't automatically collect headings like -mm does, meaning that you have to have a manual entry of every heading to make it all collate right. Either that, or the aforementioned awk scripts.

>Luke puts up vid about something
>suddenly tryhard hipsterd are shitting up the board about x

Why not use heirloom troff, or utroff instead?

whats that in the pic?

I'll give you that

LaTeX is the way to go. It'll make your resume stand out. If you're in college, you can submit your maths classwork in LaTeX. If you need to do a presentation, you can generate your slides in LaTeX. If you want to write a book... LaTeX. No substitution for the best.

GNU software wins again.

The thing is, it doesn't matter to me because I use -mm, and that it puts the ToC at the back is fine because everything I use it for is printed anyway, so I just slip that sheet to the front and I'm sorted.

This isn't the fault of t/groff though since it wasn't made for a time when we'd be reading documents like this in formatted files. If anything it would be just text files, and a ToC for that is just a section list and is trivial to type even by hand.

a comparison of troff implementations would be interesting

I saw one, troff lacked a few things like math and chemistry formatting present in groff as well as many other groff macros.

Does openbsd have this?

it used to, but they realized they only used it to generate man pages so they wrote their own man page generator and put groff in ports.

No, because I use org-mode.

What a shitty distro.

Groff has the advantage of automatic pre-processing using option flags, like -e for eqn, -t for tbl, -R for refer, rather than piping a file from one to the other.

based
truely the most minimul OS

It takes an extra special kind of hipster to promote and unironically use a 50 year old typesetting system that barely has any documentation because it all exists in books written 40 years ago and only exists on the internet as collections of digitized texts last updated in 2002 because nobody under the age of 50 has ever used it.

Attached: miku twintails uwu.jpg (532x444, 67K)

M-x based-and-repilled

it's not a linux distro though and mandoc is beautiful

that's not very UNIX

All those macros, right? I remember someone made a new macro for music typesetting.

>that's not very UNIX
Think of it as just an alias for piping.

GNU is not Unix

(You)

Yes they are, that is what macros are

>macros
Pre-processors.

because that clown Luke Smith is shilling it, so it must suck.

lol no microtypography

What a cute website. Thx.

This - I cant believe how much Jow Forums dhills this guy

Based chad Luke Smith and Groff :D :D :D latex BTFO how will latexlets ever recover :D :D XD

Luke pls go
Stop shilling this piece of shit here
It can't properly handle unicode and formatting is ugly

Fucking AMD/Intel shills shitposting good threads again. You fuckers shill all the time, I can guarantee you there are more people than youtuber interested in this.

Doesn't have to be always a consumerist shitposting in this board, just FUCK OFF.

so sick and tired of that bald faggot appropriating Jow Forums culture to make money on youtube

I wish sushichan was more active ;__;

I'm surprised he hasn't started talking about ledger-cli for personal accounting.
I'm sure Jow Forums will hate it immediately after he makes a video about it.