Tiling

What do you use and what is your experience?
It's really amazing how tiling WMs allow you to make such efficient use of your screen.
There is absolutely no wasted space and it makes multitasking easier and quicker.
Gaps are for fags.

Attached: 13-portada-945x400.jpg (945x400, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Api6dFMlxAA
youtube.com/watch?v=70IxjLEmomg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've been using i3 for the past few days and it's alright. It gets annoying sometimes though

i've been using dwm for years and it's absolutely perfect

dmenu is great, open my programs by typing alt+d then typing the name with auto-complete.

the startup is so quick, everything sharp and responsive always. workspaces are helpful for organizing, it's easy to move from task to task. i use the mouse less and less (always good).

I use i3 and have been using it for almost a year now. It got me into some basic shell scripting, got me used to vim, got me used to reading documentation, and other UNIX things. Sadly, i3 is NOT enough. It is amazing, yes. I love switching work spaces with $mod + {number}, but it isn't a full desktop solution. Need a bar that doesn't look like the matrix? You'll need to spend an hour on that. Need notifications? You'll spend an hour on that. Need to connect to a TV or external monitor? Be prepared to waste your time. On other environments, these things literally just work. On i3? These things aren't present. I always hear excuses that "i3 is just a window manager. If you're looking for more you're in the wrong place." but the issue is it treats itself as an environment. When I boot up Ubuntu, I get two choices. Gnome or i3. I can't use the two together... That sucks.

I have a 1280x800 display, how is it any more useful than xfce?
I already full-screen everything and switch between windows with alt+tab and I never have a convoluted workflow that necessitates multiple workspaces.

if you're opening up a lot of windows, moving around a lot, closing stuff, opening new programs quickly, etc.

you want something that just automatically sizes new programs to work with the rest of your open windows.

K and Cinnamon DEs can tile windows.

gnome has tiling functionality too but it's as half baked as cinnamon's

I used to use i3 and later sway with kde after a lot of config tweaking but eventually I ditched it for less autistic software. my problem with tiling wms is that they're mostly used and developed by and for MUST BE MINIMAL suckless spergs and that can be a headache sometimes. tiling wms are great when they work but they're the "I use arch btw" of interfaces; use a tty and a multiplexer if you're _really_ minimal.

I've been using i3 for a month.

Pros:
Forces you to use the keyboard a bit more.

Cons:
Tiling's fucking stupid if you don't live in the terminal, and tmux is better for splitting in that case anyway.

Attached: 1537616438605.jpg (462x429, 25K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Api6dFMlxAA

First we had manual tilers providing layouts and keyboard control. Then a bunch of larswm/wmii/dwm faggots decided tiles were about obsessive maximization of screen space, and that users should never control their windows.

>Need a bar that doesn't look like the matrix?
Why? It works and display everything you need. The only annoying thing is polling.
>Need notifications?
Just run notify-osd
>Need to connect to a TV or external monitor?
arandr

>Tiling's fucking stupid if you don't live in the terminal
Not living in the terminal is stupid.

I have 1280x800 as well. Imagine having a dedicated Alt+Tab for something.

I translate, which means I need two windows side by side. Always visible, no change. Plus, I want my dictionary to be hidden and open it as a $mod+c with my original text still visible.

I also need to do research online, which means a full-screen browser window (workspace 2). I can switch back and forth between these all no problem. For my workflow, it's great.

Your mileage may vary.

I've been using i3 for about 4 years. The most useful things are tabs (workspace) and maximized/borderless windows by default.
Splitting the screen is useful sometimes, but you will hardly have more than 2-3 windows on the same tab. Most of the time it's just one.
I wouldn't be surprised if floating wm are equally comfortable, but tiling wm force you to get used to it and you will learn to appreciate a more structured way to organize your windows (ie. web browser on tab 1, text editor on tab 2, terminal on tab 0, bittorrent client on tab 9, ecc...).

I'd like to switch to wayland but sadly everything sucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=70IxjLEmomg

You may not like it but this is what peak autism looks like.

what languages do you translate?

English, German, Czech, Slovakian...

Ok so this guy can't ever hold backspace to delete, he has to spam it or use a shortcut if possible. great

>that keyboard

Attached: 1538784486411.png (794x446, 428K)

nice
im translating moonrunes so should i consider switching?

>I'd like to switch to wayland but sadly everything sucks.
sway has gotten very good recently (1.0-beta, 0.15 is shit).

It's backslash he overloaded, not backspace.

If you find yourself having 2 windows side by side very often, then I think you might have something from it. Consider your workload and imagine what it could do for your workflow.
>moonrunes
Cool!

I dropped out of translation studies a month ago and went into applied IT.

yeah i do actually
most of the translation i do is about obscure songs
it's pretty fun and improves my moon skill

I doubt it's good. Either way, you also have to replace a bunch of other things (ie. screenshot program) and that's probably the biggest issue.

This thread feels like an infomercial, OP are you up to some shenanigans?

I have worked with 2 people who use i3. Both had autism

been using dwm for some years now, patched a bunch of useless shit in. still kinda feeling like switching to a wm where i can just use the actual wm and a config instead of having some shoddy patched version of the actual wm, but I cant find anything with similar features that justworks tm. aside from xmonad which comes close but Im not up for looking into haskell.

please help

Attached: 1457696455680-0_001.png (452x710, 414K)

>arandr
why have I learnt only now of its existence? Thanks user!

Great video to explain twm and show different ones, I used it when I first got started. It is a little long in the tooth so 1.75x speed helps.

>Gaps are for fags
>literally the one feature windows tiling software is lacking
>are for fags
Gaps are kawaii, you can put anime in them desu.

Been using bspwm + sxhkd ever since they were posted to the Arch BBS. Does everything I ever wanted it to so I've never thought to switch. Pretty much built my own DE around it with Zenity GUI scripts executed with sxhkd keybinds.

dwm is made to be patched man, don't beat yourself up just enjoy it

>dmenu is great, open my programs by typing alt+d then typing the name with auto-complete.
Even windows has that. The great thing is if you customize it to do calculations, and whatever else you need.