Im about to install linux mint onto a laptop

Im about to install linux mint onto a laptop
what should I know?

Attached: 1538915501900.jpg (601x678, 55K)

make your sudo (admin password) something simple like 3 letters because you'll be retyping it a lot as you learn. And it doesn't really need to be a super secret password.

What are your goals and what do you want to accomplish for yourself? The install will go smoothly and then it's all up to you setting up your personal style.

Linux is a kernel. That's pretty much everything you need to know.

you're fucking retarded

>What are your goals and what do you want to accomplish for yourself?
I want a laptop with little to no bloat and a longer battery life that Ill just use for Jow Forums

bump

its not any good

just install void, it takes as much time to install if you use a guide, really simple, and much better

>really simple, and much better
in what way?

It uses the runit initialization system, which unlike systemd (the initialization system that mint uses) it isn't bloated nor is it spyware, meaning Void will boot much faster.
Void is also completely minimal, unlike Mint. Give it a whirl man.

Install Gentoo

Will I have to know much about the terminal for it? Im pretty clueless about the terminal

If you are dual booting with windows 8 or 10, make sure to disable the "fast startup" or "hybrid shutdown" or whatever it was called. It doesn't dismount filesystem when you shutdown and your file systems could get corrupted when dual booting.

Also, ignore the Arch spergs that will inevitably show up in this thread.

Attached: arch_interrupts.png (650x4377, 628K)

>not typing 20-char len password in 1 picosecond.

Google things if you have problems. I'm a brainlet but I manage to run linux.
>implying windows gamers aren't the biggest cheeto eaters

Attached: 1511299699905.png (400x480, 168K)

Make sure you get the cinnamon version.

You are installing one of the most bloated distros

Can I ask in this thread: What is the pros and cons of dual booting vs using VMs? On Windows 10 Pro. Was going to install Debian though I was thinking of trying OpenSUSE for something new. Was also going to put Linux Mint Cinnamon on my workstation as its compatible with most of the Windows apps I need to use for work that aren't on Linux and it's just easier for work to use Mint, but I liked Debian and hated Ubuntu.

Now I am thinking of just using VMs through Windows 10. But does it matter if I use WIndows 10 as host or use another OS as host? I am reading it doesnn't.

Was also going to try out Qubes (mainly for Whonix) but that Xen would be perfect for VMs.

My laptops are at maximum RAM, xeon processors, and discrete gpu so not a problem, just need to not be lazy and put in some more SSDs and put one in an external case after two of my fucking mechanical HDs died in the same week.

Lastly, any Unix distro have good touchscreen support at all? I know Ubuntu had something going but no idea of its status. Lenovo Flex is the one I am thinking, mostly use it as a remote for media server or let gf use it. Maybe if it's Linux, she'll use her own laptop!

You fuckwads, everytime I post, thread dies.

Pros and Cons of dual booting vs VMs.
Does host OS matter?
Windows running in a VM like Xen works just as one would expect it to, right?

What the fuck are containers and Docker exactly?
Any distro with touch support for clamshell laptop? Haven't looked at the Linux scene in years.

You fuckwads, everytime I post, thread dies.

>Pros and Cons of dual booting vs VMs.
>Does host OS matter?
>Windows running in a VM like Xen works just as one would expect it to, right?

>What the fuck are containers and Docker exactly?
>Any distro with touch support for clamshell laptop? Haven't looked at the Linux scene in years.

Keeping this alive until I get answers.

You can think of docker containers like vms but just for one service like a webserver for example. Need a webserver? Start the webserver container. You also need less resources, because you are not always need to boot an entire OS. Hope that helps abit

Makes sense, thanks. Weird that now the trend is isolating much as possible: CPUs b/c of Spectrum, Docker containers for resource overhead, even FireFox for privacy.

Install debian

Attached: 3B636C33-FF7C-4DFE-A785-9B9AB83163E9.jpg (2048x1536, 537K)

I tried in a VM but after doing the whole installation it was just a black terminal except I couldn't type anything at all

>install arch

Having to swap OS every time I wash my teeth seems uncomfortable OP

Login root at TTY1 and login normal user at TTY2, or have two terminals, one for root and one for normal user.
>as easy as "su," "su root," or "su -."

Depends on how you want to use distro. I would start by reading some wikis.
>wiki.archlinux.org
>voidlinux.org/wiki
>installgentoo's wiki
Anything can be solved by searching for guides.

Install any distro you want to try to a flash drive. How? unetbootin for windows, dd for unix. Search for guides on "how to create liveusb"

Mint isnt good for end users either. Manjaro is the best choice.

>not gentoo

>Installing shitty Ubuntu

Attached: 1446025665666.jpg (500x573, 61K)

bump