One feature of the chip, detailed for the first time in the security guide...

>One feature of the chip, detailed for the first time in the security guide, is a “hardware disconnect” that disables the microphone whenever the MacBook Pro or Air’s lid is closed. “This disconnect is implemented in hardware alone, and therefore prevents any software, even with root or kernel privileges in macOS, and even the software on the T2 chip, from engaging the microphone when the lid is closed
theverge.com/2018/10/30/18043628/apple-t2-chip-macbook-air-imac-pro-security-eavesdropping-hackers

Apple is literally the only company in the world that cares about your privacy

Attached: apple-T2-mac-topic-icon.png (172x172, 1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_eSAF_qT_FY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because they’re an honest company that actually makes and sells things instead of selling you to the highest bidder

Quite a bit of the Canadian government, defense included, are slowly switching to all-Apple setups because of security and to save on deployment, operation and training costs.

Who knew.

>just believe that we installed a hardware kill switch in our closed, unverifiable chip you dumb goy!

Attached: 4d6.gif (452x523, 3K)

I'm genuinely curious, how can an instruction sent by a chip disable something on the hardware level. Like, I thought a 'hardware disconnect' would be 'physically unplugging or unsoldering the microphone from the motherboard'

Is she really back? I thought captcha took care of her?

>an instruction sent by a chip
why do you assume this

How else would a chip provide a hardware disconnect? I'm not being a cunt, I actually don't know.

Because appel doesn't need to sell you're shit, they can afford user privacy

it's a hardware disconnect that prevents the chip's logic sections from accessing it
>dedicated signal feed from lid
>when closed, power feed is off
>this switches the data channels to/from the microphone off
or something like that

Doubt

Transistors are like switches, but they work using voltage to switch current on and off.

>disable something on the hardware level
What is transistor

They are not less expensive in any of those catagories. But Canada and defense, was that a fucking joke.

The chip will have a backdoor to re-activate the mic.

>source: my arse

>as if it won't

And we should believe this why?

It's easily verifiable. Just rip open a macbook and test it with a multimeter.

>sends all your data to the NSA anyway

Attached: 1535702142747.jpg (1200x800, 107K)

So basically they have a wire that powers the mic, and when the lid closes, power is cut off since the wire is no longer making contact?

I'm guessing the next revolutionary change they're going to make is a micro integrated sliding cover for the webcam that only sides open when the user opens a program or site and they consent to using the camera.

Attached: rBVaSltxDCGAOCgoAAB0sfc-WdY304.jpg (350x350, 26K)

>switching to Apple
>saving

Okay user.

>no longer making contact
No, there's a transistor that connects the mic to the chip that reads the input.
That transistor allows current to flow when the lid is open, and blocks current when lid is closed.
The transistor is controlled by the T2 chip, and uses a digital signal for activation.
This means that, if the T2 chip is compromised, the mic can still be activated when the lid is closed.

>uses a digital signal for activation
where does it say this

This kek

>2018
>still believing russian spy lies

Uh sweetie, its 2018 and we're all about hating the Chinese spies now :)

/thread
mactoddlers
B T F O
T
F
O

Attached: 1540904798698.gif (193x200, 2.2M)

>he didn’t wire a switch and MOSFET to his thinkpad lid to completely remove system power on lid shut
>he isn’t running a live system from the SD card port with libreboot
step up

what's controlling the gate? A physical switch or a microchip?

But the US spies like China! If I don't write this message, my sesame credit score will decline, and the PRC will disappear me.

Buy Huawei! Buy Xaiomi! Fuck Apple!

should be easy to find that in a teardown, right? Would need to be a dedicated switch otherwise any logic that controls it can also be compromised.

You do realize it is a non-argument when every modern CPU other then RISK-V and some ARM cores have direct ring-0 backdoor access to system memory.

Modern x86 processors all havr backdoors. All the feds have to do is steel the companies private certificate and voilà they have access. (Snowden leaks revealed this is how the 9-eyes decrypt https SSL, SSH, openvpn, and signed executables.)

Attached: 1540606595682.jpg (320x211, 13K)

calling it a "hardware disconnect" implies that it's a dedicated circuit, but being on the chip itself means you'd probably need to lap it down to the silicon and use a microscope

shame im never gonna get a laptop that has its trackpad nigger-sized

So you're telling me a switch system where power to the mic is only provided on contact when opening the lid is safer?

This I prefer tiny white-boi sized pads and boi clitties

That's a nice way of justifying that new DRM chip that bricks your laptop if you dare to open it :^)

>NPDROIDS KEEP USING THE SAME PHRASE EVERY THREAD
robots
B t F o
t F o
F o
O

Attached: npcdroid.jpg (533x539, 14K)

>Programmed feature of the chip
>Thinking that they can't jst unprogram it.

Kys.

you don't even have to do that

the kikes in Israel (Operation Talpiot) put backdoors in at a ring -4 secret chip that directly interfaces with the main processor and has access to all memory all of the time

watch this:

youtu.be/_eSAF_qT_FY

>Apple is literally the only company in the world that cares about your privacy

fa/g/s will refute this

static unsigned int MIC_ADDRESS = MMIO_BASE_ADDRESS + 0xD1C5;
static unsigned int MIC_STATE_OFF = 0x00;
outb( MIC_STATE_OFF, MIC_ADDRESS );

easy
Then the port controls a gpio which is wired to a transistor which cut the power and data lines

Attached: 1517803178608.jpg (731x620, 196K)

Checked

>>One feature of the chip, detailed for the first time in the security guide, is a “hardware disconnect” that disables the microphone whenever the MacBook Pro or Air’s lid is closed. “This disconnect is implemented in hardware alone, and therefore prevents any software, even with root or kernel privileges in macOS, and even the software on the T2 chip, from engaging the microphone when the lid is closed

A feature does not mean it is used. For example, a budget SSD which have a controller capable of encryption can have that feature disabled to 'save cost' and for product segmentation purposes.

Also, more importantly, no one knows the true mechanism of the "hardware ((((disconnect))))". It may be that there is a kill switch for this kill switch, which is most probably the case to meet government regulations.

> its ok when system d does it
State of Linux tards

>muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism
I'm still waiting for proof that systemd sends data to the NSA.
>inb4 le google dns fallback maymay

You send a signal to a chip that acts like a switch.

Do you even electronics?

>canadian defence
Wut? Does that consist like a room full of brightly colored radical feminists?