Can someone tell me why this is on my new motherboard

can someone tell me why this is on my new motherboard

Attached: ps2-ports[1].jpg (450x300, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&item=N82E16823201082
blackboxtoolkit.com/responsedevices.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ke7EZ2vx9LQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just in case user

Attached: 1327620961471.jpg (463x2880, 255K)

That keyboard is a lifesaver sometimes the mouse is unnecessary though

PS/2 is an alternative method of connecting mice and keyboards to your computer other than using USB.
They are included for a variety of reasons. One of these is that PS/2 is faster than USB because it literally sends an interrupt to the CPU rather than having the OS poll the device periodically. This leads to faster response times, which some people may prefer, particularly some gamers.
Another reason is that they are a great security feature. These ports are meant for keyboards and mice and ONLY keyboards and mice. I have heard of some server and workstation owners in companies disabling the USB ports in BIOS and using the PS/2 ports to interface with the computer so that they can get keyboard input to it without running the risk of having someone shove a malicious USB drive into the system.
Lastly, they can be useful in rescue situations. Under certain circumstances, the BIOS screen might not respond to USB keyboard input. It will certainly understand PS/2 input though, so that is a safe fallback option.

Hope this helps ;^)

So you can install Windows 7 and they don't have to spend a few more cents on adding USB 2.0 instead

so you can be an epik gaymur because the ps2 connector registers your inputs 1 picosecond faster so you can headshot dem noobz

id never buy a motherboard without ps/2.

also if you're a gaymer, ps/2 is technically faster than usb

i wish they came on laptops too :(

Attached: the_virgin_usb_keyboard_the_chad_PS2_keyboard.png (1440x799, 140K)

PS/2 is slower if your keyboard/mouse uses 250hz+

>virgin cli vs
>chad gui

Attached: TZAu6AO.png (908x444, 80K)

>PS/2 is faster than USB because it literally sends an interrupt to the CPU rather than having the OS poll the device periodically
2007 says Hi
USB 3 supports interrupt-based messages

Frees up USB ports that would be reserved for KB+M

thanks for the info

Latency != Refresh rate.

>oh no I can only use 4 of my 3.0 ports instead of 6
or they could put in 2 more 3.0 ports instead of wasting space on legacy connectors that no one ever uses anymore

Shit argument because they could have put 3 USB ports in the same space connected through a USB hub if necessary.

What it does do is provide redundancy in case the USB controller fails so you can analyze the problem and add a USB controller card.

I'm not aware of any keyboard that uses USB 3.
Not that I actually give a flying fuck about the 2 picoseconds improved latency.

The higher the refresh rate the lower the latency (literary)

Do they even do non-combo ports anymore?
The only time I've seen PS/2 on mainstream boards is the combo variant.

So does this apply to mice too?

I need a PS/2 mouse to be an elite gamer?

Yes, you need to get a mechanical mouse too. My kill-death ratio literally increased 3x once I starting using my mechanical mouse.

my cherry keyboard is usb3 lol, get with the times grandpa.

Kek

>not using aesthetic 20 y/o keyboards with PS/2 port

Attached: 20110408-remember-when-5-600x411.jpg (600x411, 91K)

>One of these is that PS/2 is faster than USB because it literally sends an interrupt to the CPU rather than having the OS poll the device periodically
This hasn't been true since USB 3.1 gramps

I don't playouts FPS but will it help my LoL KDA?

Definitely.

oh excuthe me do you hathe thome driverth for my devithe
the thtandard human interfathe devithe driver would suffithe

do PS/2 to USB adaptors work for keyboards?

>I'm not aware of any keyboard that uses USB 3.

Attached: bb3b8bdd101a19d72c8a67e16a73c3881df81bdfr1-380-349v2_00.jpg (380x349, 25K)

Now PS/2 devices *sips* those were the days.

More reliable than USB

Fuckin a man. The usb port thing is dead on. I have until today never heard someone give the correct answer to this question. Cheers.

There is no reason to use PS/2 over USB anymore.

USB polls faster than PS/2 ever could, hence also better latency.
USB does 6KRO.
USBs CPU utilization is nonexistent these days.
Interrupting a modern CPU with several cores just for use input is just dumb.

Modern machines that have a PS/2 port, just use a on chip USB adapter for it anyways.

It's just bait bro. ;^)

w-what happened to the ghost smiley fries?

Better and more reliable than USB

Can someone tell me why there aren't any PS/2 controllers/joysticks

if I have a usb keyboard and a usb mouse is it worth it to get a usb->ps2 adapter or is that just dumb in the same ways vga->usb is dumb

/this
ps/2 mouses fucking suck ass

>There is no reason to use PS/2 over USB anymore.
PS/2 - easy to handle with
Most USB keybords still can worck in PS/2 mode

Attached: PS2.jpg (806x900, 51K)

It will work fine.

I have one of these which still works and I'm pretty sure it's at least 10 years old.

Where would you plug it into though

>oh so you want to plug in your keyboard and mouse at the same time do you? hehe too bad :^)

Attached: post-227009-0-97658200-1435667181.jpg (696x634, 68K)

>literary
I think you mean literarily

>disabling the USB ports
just pour epoxy on it.

>literarily
I think you mean literature

not only that, nearly every mouse and keyboard uses USB 1.1...
see above, maybe some day what you said will be true.

The keyboard compatible ps/2 port.

While USB 3 negates some of the advantages PS/2 had over previous USB versions, why waste a 10Gb/s port on a keyboard when you could use a dedicated serial port?

These are meant to be able to have an adapter hooked up to have both mouse and keyboard.

A joystick? Would the movement even be recognized if it's plugged into a port exclusive for keyboards?

They got aten

Are there any PS/2 based mechanical keyboards?

Look at the pictures above the ports, might help you out.

>aten
I think you mean atended

What the hell, Jow Forums is capable of helpful advice? When did this happen?

The joystick would just act like a keyboard as in a dpad would send signals for like the arrow keys also you couldn't have analog

I've never had a joystick so I thought they move the mouse cursor but I guess it's just arrow keys then.

>implying the USB hub isn't interrupting

no don't bother looking

your just not looking
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&item=N82E16823201082

>also you couldn't have analog
Maybe the joystick could use both the keyboard and mouse port and use the mouse movement for the joystick

>Not getting the USB cord for a Model M

Have your cake and eat it too

I can't believe someone actually responded with a real answer instead of "install gentoo" or "kill yourself, faggot". Its a refreshing change.

True. This is why Qubes OS recommends using a ps/2 keyboard and mouse. USB is a possible attack vector.

>membrane keyboard
who cares it's not like it makes a difference.

It's not.

i dont care, im taking it seriously here.
No you dont need to do that nowadays, knowing that most keyboards and mices have a very high refresh rate.

>not only that, nearly every mouse and keyboard uses USB 1.1...
No, literary EHCI, since at least late 2000's. So at least 2.0.
Plus the peripheral does not need to be USB 3 to use those USB 3 features, it's a controller thing. Not that you would want to anyways.

USB mice these days do 1000Hz out of the box. Up to 8000Hz with 3rd party configuration, but most sensors won't benefit from it.
PS/2 is 125Hz out of the box, 250Hz when using tweaks.

it's more efficient than USB

Attached: 1538668066821.png (908x444, 64K)

because grown ups with jobs use kvms

and?

Attached: SX-KVM401-4-port-HDMI-USB-KVM-Switch-big-289-669.png (336x199, 28K)

>Can someone tell me why there aren't any PS/2 controllers/joysticks
Because they used the serial port?

> no one
I use it at work for troubleshooting

I have researched this issue

having a button that has a slightly lower activation distance can save 30-50ms while PS/2 saves 8 ms on 125Hz and only 1 ms when the mouse USB is overclocked to 1000Hz

Just get a mouse buttons that click faster, it will make a much bigger difference

This is not just about activation distance, moving a mouse around, the cursor can have noticeable lag if you add up a bad screen and a PS/2 mouse. Each step adding a little can have big results.

that's the thing though, there are slow PS/2 mice and fast PS/2 mice

blackboxtoolkit.com/responsedevices.html

Nowadays you can get mice with under 10 ms latency

youtube.com/watch?v=ke7EZ2vx9LQ

notice the wireless USB mouse has 5 ms latency in this video, better than older PS/2 mice

> notice the wireless USB mouse has 5 ms latency in this video, better than older PS/2 mice
Bullshit nigger.

if your mouse has shit hardware and has 30 ms delay, you can't save that by using PS/2

just get a mouse that has 4 ms delay and set it to 1000Hz polling rate

ON AVERAGE that should be only an extra 0.5 ms delay

remember that key activation is 10-50ms, and the system itself still takes like 15 ms to respond even with excellent hardware

saving 0.5 ms doesn't change as much as the actual hardware you use

>there are slow PS/2 mice and fast PS/2 mice
But the absolute maximum a PS/2 port can do is 250Hz, with 125Hz being default. No matter what mouse.

maybe in polling mode, but as far as I know it can do a direct interrupt and send the signal right away and let the processor handle it immediately

>>aten
>I think you mean atended
I Think you meant 8nded

Nope. That's something that USB 3.0 does.

Nope. That's something that USB 3.0 can do.

It just werks.

>my cherry keyboard is usb3
Wasn't aware mechanical switches needed the extra bandwidth for all the data they're sending to the computer. Thanks, I guess I learned something today.

It clearly shows that you have to cut the keyboard plug so that it goes into the top half, and the mouse in half so that it goes into the lower half.
Did you even look at that picture before you posted it?

You bought an overclocking motherboard.
LN2 or other sub zero overclocking gets too cold for the USB to work properly, you are literally spending MOAR money for PS/2 ports.

Cheaper motherboards often only have a single combo PS/2 port or no PS/2 ports at all

Attached: MB69VAS_165726_750x750.jpg (557x750, 105K)

>the mouse is unnecessary though
Yeah because it's difficult to find one for ps/2.

Also
>no cable lenght restrictions

>PS/2 is faster than USB because it literally sends an interrupt to the CPU rather than having the OS poll the device periodically.
This stupid meme has to die. Modern CPUs are just like large trains, they don't like to suddenly stop. Handling an interrupt will flush the pipeline and the CPU will need to evict a large part of it's cache. CPUs nowadays want predicable, sequential workloads where the code path can be seen many many cycles beforehand. Which is why polling is actually faster

Is it bad that I initially assumed those bottles to be full of piss? I think I've been on here too long.

>One of these is that PS/2 is faster than USB because it literally sends an interrupt to the CPU rather than having the OS poll the device periodically. This leads to faster response times, which some people may prefer, particularly some gamers.
That's only a several ms difference. Humans are too slow to notice that.

This isn't an issue when you have progressively more and more cores, with HT or SMT on top of that that can be virtually interrupted.

I'm a little disappointed in my purchase of this board to be honest. I kinda wanted a PS/2 port.
Oh well, guess I'll have to hope I find a good sale on an X3/470 with a PS/2 port haha.

Get something non Asus unless you're going for the Heros.

My x370 Pro was breddy bad until the last two bios updates but there are still angry people on reddit and forums saying the bios borked their overclocks.

great informative post

It's not the only thing that adds latency in the entire I/O pipeline though. If you make the effort to reduce latency at each point as much as possible you'll have a much better experience overall