Why do you use linux

why do you use linux

Attached: lol.jpg (960x720, 124K)

cuz it's better for development than winblowz

> why do you also use winblowz?
cuz it's better for gayming than linux

Attached: 1477801778095.jpg (252x320, 20K)

2011:

> Built a pc

> couldn't afford Windows due to being a 14 year old pimply shit with no job

> still a pimpy shit with no job after a lay off

> T400 memepad is shit on Windows

Linux is the best thing for an older laptop

runs the programs i use
doesn't update/restart until i tell it to
no installing extra drivers & updating for hours after a fresh install
100% compatibility with the old chinkpads i have

Because I like it better, but even because I think it is objectively better.
Just recently I bought a new chink laptop with win10, but I kept it because I knew linux generally has shitty battery life respect to windows. I use it for 2 weeks and seriously I it was such a bad experience it wasn't even funny.

Doing moderately advanced things in Windows is a nightmare, administration is awful and complex. Finding things is hard, and oh my god it was sluggish.

Today I finally installed Ubuntu budgie, so not the lightest distro on the market and for fuck sake it is *a lot* more fluid, has the same(if not more) battery life, everything works ootb and is fucking free as in beer.

I could have imagined years ago when linux was more difficult to use and was a niche OS but today there is really no point to use windows in favour of linux.
Except for gaming, driver support and particular sw that are not ported in linux.
But for the 90% of use case, Linux is better in every conceivable ways

>no point
muh adobeeeee

for me personally it is a better tool than windows for the things i do, mainly including software dev and some game dev. the environment just clicks with me better. for others this might not be the case and the community (both windows fanboys and linux fanboys alike) need to come to terms with that being a weakness of the system. for other things i do such as music production there's just no other option besides windows or os x. i just like the workflow of linux and honestly it does the job just fine for me, but i understand that others might not find it as useful

That's why I specified
> Except for gaming, driver support and particular sw that are not ported in linux.

For general purpose, Ubuntu is better. If the hw is supported sw is well ported there's no point in using windows today.

everything just works better

It's IBM/systemd now. Linux is merely its kernel.

stfu pedant.

Based drudgereport postet

Because I hate niggers

I use it in a virtual pc so I have an option besides windows 10 and apple when I next upgrade.

>stfu
Shitskins are freely posting here now.

Despite being shitty, it's a moral stance on commercial or state mass surveillance and control through technology.

Attached: 5b54efc1-49fe-467b-91c3-81799a59508a..jpg (1440x1436, 177K)

there are alternatives to both systemd and to linux's kernel and im sure it will mostly evolve into server shit.

i just want microdick to make powershell its default terminal already god damn it.

based

Attached: 1539050755400.jpg (334x506, 42K)

but i use GNU/runit/Linux

>stfu
shut the fuck up.

To spite Microsoft

I need a plugin for work that crashes all the time on windows.

Eclipse's git plugin doesn't do well with commits that include jars on windows and would fuck up my merges if I used it instead of the comand line (lost a few mornings due to this)

Eclipse would also freeze all the time for no aperant reason. Sometimes I would create a new line on some class and it would freeze for over 10 seconds.

I have none of these issues on ubuntu.

>better documented and more powerful system API
makes programming for it more fun, and it doesn't feel like you're fighting with the computer as much
>faster
my T410s running KDE Neon boots up faster than my 2-year old Y700 running windows 10. It also runs builds equally fast even though the Y700 has like a 300% advantage in processing power
>KDE
self-explanatory. Fast, pretty, reliable, great tools (Kate is objectively the best text editor, period. KDevelop can't hold a candle to the power of Visual Studio but I mostly do embedded so the VS debugger isn't useful to me anyway)
>misc
grep
diff
apt

>Cozy
>Good for dev
>Lightweight
>Easy to install language libraries/packages
>x230 so why not

Attached: 1539382785576.jpg (500x646, 115K)

cuz it's free and better than chromeOS so install it on chromebooks

because I’m paranoid about shit I do online so I use Linux

Slut!

so people on Jow Forums will think i'm cool.

Because I hate myself and everyone else

it's free as in beer and using the command line is fun

so i can bring my laptop to work without a notification popping up saying it made a compilation of this month's past photos showing cosplay girls with their titties out.

Because I take my poo to the loo.

Attached: 1527877091734.jpg (643x960, 256K)

At this point, familiarity and inertia. I have access to windows machines for the 0.5% of my computing time that requires windows only applications.

I like it and I'm used to it. I could go back to windows but I'm cozy right now so no need really

Attached: lain 45.png (1162x1080, 2.49M)

Whenever I use linux, I don't feel like my machine is constantly fighting me or trying to undermine me every step of the way.
Every time I use windows, I quickly find that the little things I take for granted on unix systems simply don't exist on windows, or require some you download and install some shitty re-implementation of core unix functionality.

My one regret is that creative music/video/anything production software is practically non-existent and will never exist so long as closed source continues to be a profitable business model and it's why I still keep a windows 7 partition.

Attached: cute boy awoo.jpg (645x989, 151K)

Because Windows doesn't have i3

I use deibain via wsl on windows 10 pro because I get the best of both ecosystems. Some applications just run better on Linux and the Linux cli is far supuor to Microsoft powershell when I need to get some work done. Also Linux has far superior package management and cli tools that aren't available natively on windows.

Meant to type Debian via wsl. It's late in my timezone so I'm mistyping.

nix systems are predictable.
>file system conventions are generally followed
>man page conventions are generally followed
>actual package management with naming conventions that are generally followed
>cli argument conventions are generally followed
using linux is like having a perfect morning where everything is where it's supposed to be so you don't have to run around your house frantically looking for your keys or phone before work. it has conventions that people actually give a shit about and it comes together to form a cohesive system. there's a community with similar goals that develops software for linux/bsd, there isn't really anything close to a community developing windows software, and there certainly aren't any shared goals, and it really shows. in recent years we've seen redhat's retards try to push the windows method on linux and the results are fucking pathetic. fragmented development creates worthless systems.

i dont know

g++

you literally can't find good free software for Windows without adware

I like it and it does everything I need and more