/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

what if we were pioneer shills for a moment edition

Attached: pioneer_hpm-100_loudspeaker_system.jpg (800x1005, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Topping-TP30-MARK2-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00J2P9I2A
amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TDA7492-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B00F0H8TOC
youtube.com/watch?v=2V6YN-mshmY&index=11&list=WL&t=0s
soundandrecording.de/equipment/3-wege-nahfeldmonitor-genelec-8331-im-test/
us.kef.com/media/doc/r2018_whitepaper_en.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

but a lesson to be learned is to not buy speakers from a hardware manufacturer
last thread

Attached: 70b580e5c904b14ba7b7a5d5dcb9cfc1.jpg (800x1141, 91K)

Buy JBL!

Attached: speker.jpg (1536x2048, 796K)

>Pioneer

Attached: 1536456221421.jpg (720x620, 45K)

nah, we're not all virgins like you

I don't think I want a compression horn.

When I was a Tech HiFi Audio Consultant in 1981 I regarded Pioneer receivers as pretty decent and had no reservations selling them . I think they had a decent mark up over cost too so I;d make money myself but not speakers. I had standard... You'd have suggested Celestion, Ohm or Infinity then JBL, KLH or EPI depending on your budget. Cerwin Vegas were easy to sell to anyone who wanted loud rock and roll and then TDC which were the cheapest thing we had.

Our top of the line stuff was actually vector Research then Nikko then Pio, Technics and Sony and Hitachi, Toshiba and Onkyo were mostly interchangeable as far as I was concerned. Our High end Turntables were Thorens then Dual and JVC made a beefy Rosewood direct drive S arm table that looked great... We did get some Tandberg stuff but it wasn't often in our store.

if their active monitor take usb or optical i'd buy it

So I bought these Yamaha NS10-ms at a thrift store for 5 bucks.

Should I sell them and buy better shit or keep em? I was recommended bm5as.

Attached: Snapchat-1434104821.jpg (984x1920, 413K)

My shitty 5" krks stopped working after using them for almost a decade. I want something a little nicer next time, can someone recommend the best bang-for-your buck 8" monitors around?

Attached: th.jpg (260x174, 8K)

NS10 are bad speakers. Yes, sell them and get something good.

Love their receivers. My dad had an SX-3700 when he still lived with my grandma. He doesn't know what happened to it, maybe it's lost in her house. I found his turntable which I use for myself. A while ago he picked up an SX-780 for cheap on eBay which he used for listening to music in the garage when he'd work on his car. Unfortunately due to a leak in the garage, it got wet during a thunderstorm one day. It still works, but all the pots are scratchy. He's gonna get it fixed one of these days.

Attached: 1521253262210.png (1105x1053, 90K)

already did, no regrets. sounds better than my friends floor-standing wharfedale

how good is the sound blaster audigy RX sound card?

Got a pair of MB Quarts 390 MC'S what amp would you recommend for it anons?

Attached: IMG-20180311-WA0002.jpg (1200x1600, 126K)

Attached: IMG-20180311-WA0000.jpg (1200x1600, 212K)

My friend says that used B&O are the best possible speakers for performance/price. Is he right? He's not talking about those rare crazy deals with low price, he says the average ebay price

he's wrong

>not using active studio monitors

but we do, user

me neither, unless i was sitting 30' away kek

Reasonably sensitive, but 4-ohm load. Either a used higher end receiver that is 4-ohm stable or maybe a Monolith 2 channel.

do those monoprice amps sound any good?

My mom finally convinced my dad to get rid of his D-9's. So I'm taking them. I really don't ever watch tv so they will be hooked up to my PC. Any advice on what amp I should get?

Attached: 20180917_190157.jpg (4032x1960, 2.24M)

Yeah they are made by ATI. Still $1000 bucks, but you could get an Emotiva cheaper. I'm just not as excited about the Emotivas...

You could probably find a used ATI or similar on eBay also.

>cerwin-vega
ew
amazon.com/Topping-TP30-MARK2-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00J2P9I2A

Fight me. Also will that be enough to power them? The woofers are 15".

amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TDA7492-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B00F0H8TOC
this will be probably a lot better, but either should work fine

Thanks. Though I might go with the others. I have some headphones that would benefit from an amp also.

What's your favorite DIY kit?

I stumbled upon a man today who was about to throw a pair of speakers he didn't know the name of brand so I decided to take a look. So I got these for free today

Attached: mm.jpg (300x324, 18K)

Nice Jamos.

The compression driver has another advantage; the beaming is given by the size of its exit(and plug), not the driver size. This gives it greater useful bandwidth, and makes materials like beryllium useful, instead of useless excess that they are on 1" domes.
But, they require huge horns to get low range. Compression drivers also distort more than comparable surface and horn domes, though you would have drive them hard for either to matter.

So who has the best performance/price?

If you dumdums heard the d2 driver in the Jbl waveguide you’d be singing a different tune. I’m biased since I own them, yes there is a bit of a horn coloration but they aren’t “honky” or sound like a “pa system” not at all. They sound more natural than even my Harbeths did. Which maybe isn’t saying much, but the Harbeths did sound pretty damn good.

did you compare them side by side with the harbeths?

No... but within 6 hours. I know that the Harbeths had a smaller, less wide sound. And they certainly had less big bass. I mean the JBL are 3x the price too, so you’d think they would out perform.

something like an "auditory memory" is completely gone after a time span of 10 seconds to 10 minutes depending on which criteria you look at and what other sounds you are exposed to, so that is a totally useless comparison

That's some hillarious audiophile grade science there.

feel free to look up the very basics of all testing methodology in audio

I don’t understand that. I’ve been playing instruments all my life. I know what a b flat on a clarinet, tenor sax and trumpet all sound like. I’ll never ever forget. By your logic I couldn’t possibly remember the sounds of each individual note and instrument.

Feel free to suck my dick. We are both more likely to get what we want.

Not that user, but I've compared the 4367 side by side to the Focal Sopra No1 and the most noticeable difference I noticed in the higher range between was that the Sopras felt a little thinner in the upper midrange (due the horn coloration of the 4367 waveguide?).
This is something that's very underestimated, the brains audio-memory REALLY sucks. And we are quite susceptible to other influences as well. Heck, most people don't even take the room or placement into consideration when they "compare" things.

Attached: Sopra_Tweeter_Eclate.jpg (1814x1080, 443K)

the ability to memorize the sound of f.e. a voice is a totally different thing, it's proven that aspects like spatial information, freedom of distortion and other attributes you use to describe loudspeakers with are not a part of that memory and therefore you'd be able to recognize a speaker that transforms the timbre of a flute to that of a clarinet, yes. but that's not what we are talking about here. you literally cannot even recall if a speaker had 3dB elevated treble yesterday compared to the one you're listening today without any point of reference

Fair enough. I ain’t trying to say you’re wrong.

>trying to find a new place where the layout isolates the living room in a corner of the building or the walls aren't paper thin

Attached: 1540395672071.jpg (400x388, 71K)

I didn't exactly listen to the M2 in the best circumstances. I could go back and listen again, though it's wall mounted in an awkward position.
Though, that doesn't defray the distortion compression drivers have. Horn resonances are mostly a separate issue.

Recognizing features and objects is somewhat different from the working memory.

>though it's wall mounted in an awkward position.

Attached: whyyyyy-70.jpg (940x492, 54K)

Garage sales from frustrated yet saddened widows of audiophiles

why are they wallmounted and how awkward?

What if i am in a country where garage sales are not a thing and those stores of used stuff aren't either?

Thoughts on these Klipsch's on sale? (RP-160M)

Attached: klipsch rp-160m.jpg (1500x1500, 137K)

I’d like to see these wall mounted m2 owo it’s quite obvious it’s a studio environment but would be funny to see nonetheless. I assume they wall mounted because it was easier/better than putting them on stands. Love this picture btw.

Attached: EA9DAF4F-86F4-404D-99BA-C665614BEDCC.jpg (1024x683, 103K)

very good

My dad has some old-ass EPI speakers in some nice wooden furniture that I'd guess are from the early 80s chilling in his basement. Not sure the model. Is that stuff still highly regarded by modern standards?

>Compression drivers also distort more
What the fuck am I reading? Everything I've seen and read says exactly otherwise

Quick recommend me a set of bookshelf speakers and amp

these

Cavity pressure is gigantic, much greater than ordinary domes for similar far-field SPL.. A key assumption of linear wave propagation breaks down, small pressure gradients. This distortion tends to dominate at high frequencies. This gets worse if you demand higher compression ratios. Nonlinear distortion and other response issues seem to be directing the compression ratios down, decreasing efficiency.
In real designs, I see about 10dB less HF distortion with a nice 1-inch tweeter, maybe more. This presumes you don't find yourself limited in lower frequencies by the smaller non-compression dome, of course.

The contribution of the horn to nonlinear distortion relates mainly to the length and rate of expansion.

Using KEF Q100s for desktop speakers with an Emotiva A-100 and SVS SB-1000.

Local audio store's offering KEF LS50s new for $900. Worth it?

actually it's almost the same.
here is THD comparison of Accuton C25 tweeter and JBL 4367 both measured with reference level of 2,83V and 1m distance.
Accuton is a bit more linear in HF range while JBL rise.

Biggest problem with horns are progressive directivity with rise of frequency.

Attached: Clipboard.jpg (1180x1335, 435K)

...but, Harmonic distortions are of least concern

youtube.com/watch?v=2V6YN-mshmY&index=11&list=WL&t=0s

Attached: logo.png (341x111, 12K)

You are adding a horn to a compression driver. While the these are not totally independent, you can still use horns with dome tweeters and compression drivers in free air. If the rate of flare is rapid, the horn usually works out to increase distortion-free SPL.
I wasn't ranking the issues of horns either, only picking on a specific one.

Point to a more specific point in the hour-long video.
The distortion spectra produced at high SPL is a combination of modulation and overtones. The simplest models will spit out these results.

Not the same guy buy I'm looking at the mono price unity 100w for a pair of unity speakers. I like the fact that the gain control is in the back rather than the front, but I've been reading horror stories about the company's customer service. Are their amps good enough to try it out?

If not, I'm also looking for recommendations on a desktop sized amp with a rear volume control at around $100 if possible

hey Jow Forums. Can you reccomend some good books about speaker design?

I bought the smsl-su8 dac which has dual rca output for headphones, I have a nice pair of Audio Technica MSR7 with a aux (male) jack. Is a simple aux female to 2rca male adapter enough? Does it need to be shielded?

Attached: photo_2018-11-01_14-54-50.jpg (1280x1280, 301K)

Horn distortion is only in low frequencies (which are filtered by crossover)
JBL 4367 distortion in high freq. is dominated by compression driver itself. not horn!

A popular one is Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook.
Floyd Toole's book is a good companion to get a sense of what is important, and how to work your room acoustics.
Other resources may depend on your prior knowledge.

At lower frequencies, that tends to be dominated by the compliance nonlinearity of the driver, which is filtered out as you say.
>JBL 4367 distortion in high freq. is dominated by compression driver itself.
Yes

i think it should work

Are Yamaha's NX-50 a good quality choice for my PC? I only want desktop speakers, not loud/powerful monitors.

Are there any independent measurements of Genelec 8341 and 8331?

Soundandrecording has one of the 8331.
soundandrecording.de/equipment/3-wege-nahfeldmonitor-genelec-8331-im-test/

You could probably interpolate results between 8331 and 8351, with Genelec's official chart as a reference.

Thank you. Was interested mainly in 8341, because it has more power than its bigger brother 8351, which was surprising to me.
I hope those speakers will make more manufacturers make coaxial speakers like that. Want to see K+H take on coaxial.

I don't think they will make them quite like the Genelec, using the entire front baffle as a waveguide. I can only think of 4 brands that use that style of coax driver right now.
JBL is making a coaxial version of their compression drivers, but I don't think that is what you were looking for.

40th anniversary edition looks super cute

Attached: B6903CA3-5937-43CD-B2DB-B33E0D720528.jpg (1536x1718, 426K)

Car and PA ones from JBL? Not really what I was looking at.

It does not need to be exactly the same of course. I would've gladly seen some cross between genelec (waveguide) and geithain approach (mounting this waveguide in front of 15 inch bass driver) instead of using two oval woofers. Not sure if it can work, but oval woofers seem to work, so why not this.

Price is probably not that cute.

Any recommendations for headphones that sound similar to the audio-technica M40X at a similar ($70-130) pricepoint?
I've owned two pairs now and love how they sound & feel to wear, but the hinge on the left side has broken on both pairs and I don't want to buy a third pair and have the same issue fuck me again.

pic related is my room, the brown thing is a table, the black rectangles on in are monitors and the red circle is the point where i sit. if i put my speakers on the table like in the pic one of them ends up behind the monitors, and i think it sounds bad, but i don't know how else i should place them. would wall mounting at an height greater than the height of my hears be ok?

Attached: 37.png (1199x931, 9K)

Why can't you sit in the middle of the desk and place the speakers further apart?
Wall mounting is fine, just angle them down towards you.

Kef announced an update to their R series, and they provided a few measurements of the speaker performance. Would be nice to see the other details, distortion and how closely the product matches the engineering sample.
I'm not sure what in particular encouraged Genelec to go for coax now, but I would sooner think KH would do something like 8260 or WCW like the KEF towers.

i've always wanted to do that but i need a free half of it for when i study/write :(
how high should i go? should i just make an equilateral triangle with my head?

>and they provided a few measurements of the speaker performance
link pls

>should i just make an equilateral triangle with my head?
Yes.

my new JBL speaker just arrived

Attached: file.png (919x480, 869K)

It's in the white paper. Starts on page 18. Spinorama-like charts, but they didn't include the DI.
>us.kef.com/media/doc/r2018_whitepaper_en.pdf
Most of the higher KEF line didn't have any distortion issues before, the Blade excepted. So I would assume the new R series doesn't have major issues.

If you permit me to go on a tangent:
Some people have been talking about the benefit of digital filtering for speakers, and mention the digital LS50W as an example. But the LS50 isn't the sort of design that has things that a digital cutoff could really improve, unlike the Blade.
KEF prefers low-order filters when using passive components, which presents a unique issue on Blade. The side-firing woofers are far enough to produce midrange interference if allowed to play up high. The midrange cutoff is shifted down to try and limit the issue, but the distortion from the midrange starts climbing up. There's only a small amount of midrange ripple left, but any issues could have been totally eliminated by using more restrictive filters.

I don't think normalfags buy these speakers, they'll buy the flip 4, but not this shit.

Attached: 1522049955592.jpg (540x540, 53K)

They do, but not as a convenient portable speaker.
A friend of mine keeps some PA speakers handy in his kitchen. Sometimes I see people bring PAs to throw impromptu parties or background music at the local park.
Besides, what they really buy is headphones. The market value is more than double the general speaker market. Surely, you noticed how much slower this place is than /hpg/?

>Surely, you noticed how much slower this place is than /hpg/?
To be fair I think it's both that headphones are more common for computer users and most people get turned off if the speakers being discussed aren't logitech speakers, as seen by the previous threads being "no audiophiles"

that wont power cerwin vegas, get a real fucking amp

>sensitivity of 101 dB
yes it will

>/hpg/ currently chimping out over frequency response graphs on headphones
glad we're speakerchads here

>frequency response graphs on headphones
It's really hard. I haven't seen Sorwis around in while.
An analogy would be trying to characterize a subwoofer's performance by measuring it in an untreated room and moving the subwoofer around several meters at a time to guess how it behaves in someone else's untreated room. Except, it's actually worse than that.

To spare you the explanation of how to measure headphones and of headphone acoustics, measuring headphones is still a crude practice.

Genelec are wcw construction too, just small.

Even for "Hi-End" headphones search never ends. Just because their frequency response always sucks (not only that, it's just one point). With speakers its more or less "buy a quality pair and you are set for 5-10 years", of course if you have severe case of GAS, then it changes. Also headphones are easier to pile, you won't pile 5 different pair of speakers in your room.

bump

Attached: 1540142900221.jpg (1024x830, 479K)

Unless you work with audio, in which case you need at least 3 pairs of different speakers to test your mix on, preferably 4 or 5.

What kind of stand should I get to tilt my desktop speakers up?

A stand with isolator pads from a music store.

Hi guys, what are the best PC speakers I can get for $30 that still have some decent sound quality? Currently looking at the Creative Pebble.