>kobo
>nook
>onyx boox
>tolino
>wexter
>inkbook
>pocketbook
>sony

Which of these brands make the most open devices?
Anyone have any experience with them?
Amazon botnet need not apply.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (560x343, 42K)

i have an old kindle that is starting to show its age(mostly due to wear and tear, no issues in the device itself)

what should i get? i mostly read pirated books so i dont care about shop support and the likes

It seems like kobo clara hd is a good all around one to get

bump for interest

Do any of these support overdrive? How do youse guys get free books?

I assume Kobo does since they are the se company

Looks like they do. Thanks user.

Is there a way to un-amazon my kindle paperwhite? Received it as a gift and would like to do something with it, but dont want to create an Amazon account.

Is there any way to flash custom software on the device?

>tfw kobo not available in my country
my 2012 basic kindle will still have to do

In Germany tolino sells them rebranded

I have a tolino vision 4 HD
works with many accounts and file formats
but I only got it because of the blue light filter,
which is great for reading at night

i have no ebooks in my country. mostly because no ebook actually supports my native language. i have to order everything from overseas and pay like 4 times the price. thats why my little trooper of a kindle is still being used despite being scratched half to death

>tfw 3rd world feel

Attached: 1319140315124.png (388x360, 7K)

Pajeet?

eew no

Kobo with koreader is pretty great OP

Attached: IMG_20181030_220520.jpg (1944x2592, 926K)

Got a tolino epos, works with the ebooks of my local library and with PDFs, due to its screensize. Also works with every german bookseller chain if you want to buy your books. Only one store on the device but you can link your other accounts to your tolino library.

t. poor south american

Pretty sure most are unicode and support any language. Kobo is now owned by the Japs so they've put a lot of work into funky text layout.

how much better are e-ink screens compared to just lcd or oled? ive got an old samsung galaxy tab i wanted to just put a blue light filter on and use as an ebook reader but if its a difference like night and day then guess ill pay

Pocketbook.
Kobo is ok too but their hardware is lesser and software bit shit.

>good battery life (>2 weeks)
>Large screen
>Can write notes on it
>Glass, not plastic over screen
>Runs linux
>300ppi or better
>Color, not just black/white
>High refresh rate (>20fps)

When's it happening boys?

I used to use a Nexus 7 with f.lux and an anti-glare screen protector. It's not as good as an e-ink screen. Even at max brightness I couldn't see shit whenever I'd bring it outside to read, whereas my Kobo's screen looks and feels like a book. Go to a barnes and noble and try theirs out, all eink screens are all pretty much the same, the only difference between brands and devices is the screen size and the software running it, but you should install koreader on it anyway

Attached: 1540961685224.png (272x367, 82K)

kindle paperwhite

Kobo has Pocket built into their firmware which I use it more for than epubs. It's great.

Waiting for the new one, I think.
I have notes and highlights from my phone, so I'd like to at least stay with Kindle and the Paperwhites look like the best ones.

I don't use that. And I do not think it compensates for other kobo issues ( kobo aura one - bad pdf reading - cant open some and reboots on some pages, bad margin handling - resets to 0,0 on page flip making you center page again, leaks battery, lagy software, etc)

Any user can recommend ebook reader for pdfs with a lot of graphics like tables etc?

How long does that take to install?

>kobo clara hd
So this thing will allow you to read "pirated e-books". Can you read stock-standard PDFs that you have downloaded as well?

I think every ereader lets you read "pirated e-books"

If you don't pirate there's honestly something wrong with you.

I use the kobo aura one for 2 years, works pretty great with Koreader installed.
But Nickel runs like shit

yeah, seriously

Pocketbook inkpad3
Or kobo aura one + ko reader (kobo aura one default software is shit when dealing with pdfs)

Not him. But koreader is really easy to install to kobos. Just drop in files for launcher (cant recal what it is called) reboot, drop files for ko reader reboot. Done. Now launcher leta you choose nickel (default) or koreader + ton of other stuff.

This. Though nickel is shit for pdfs only. It is tolerable for epubs. Though I like nickels UI... and ko readrr needs beter library management - file browser is not best solution

the only people who have e-book readers are people who do not read

Projecting much?

That's a Kobo with shitty ui you braindead retard. Also I can't remember how many times i had to fix Adobe edition for my mum just to find the problems are 5 years old. DONT GET A TOLINO if you don't root german anonos

whats a reasonably priced e reader you can write on?

>Amazon botnet need not apply.
Why not?
Storage is quite comfy I have thousands in their cloud.
I have the paperwhite display which can be read at night too.

Just start looking at tablets.
I really dont want readers to go the way all tech goes "reader to write on", then reader "with discord, streaming to twitch and fornt facing camera" then "cloud based reader"

I have a Fujitsu T580, does that count?

Attached: fujitsu-lifebook-t580-03.jpg (1024x768, 72K)

>relying on the cloud

tsk tsk user

are textbook sized readers still 500+ as always?

I have them backed up twice but I don't have enough storage inside my kindle so when I travel, I just open the wifi and I get to search my books and get whatever I feel like reading.
It's actually quite comfy.

>4gb memory
>not enough when traveling
are your travels few years long or are just too lazy to put in books you intend to read soon?

>no support for native language
>4 times the price
>3rd world
Filipino?

More importantly is there a cheap >8" reader or should I just buy a used kindle DX

A laptop with a large hard drive to store and transfer books is also comfy, and not dependent on internet.

Pretty sure every ebook reader has spanish language you brainlet

Sometimes I feel like I need to read THAT book or quote from THAT book or browse THAT book, faggot.
>currently around 260k books
Yea but why carry that around?

>Yea but why carry that around?
Browse the internet, watch a movie, play games, do some work

>quote fag
yap. iq < 60
>THAT book
ocd\autism too it seems. Bet you finish less than 10% of books you "read"

pls halp

Attached: 1537330798885.png (561x453, 410K)

Onyx Boox should have big models that are on cheaper side

I checked and they don't seem to be under 500 bucks, but thanks anyway

I've been reading way more with my ereader actually. Books are a pain in the ass.

the answer is israel if anyone was wondering. worst shithole in this hemispheres

I use Onyx Max2, good shit, can install android apps, but the stock reading app is good, can view PDF, comics, dejavu

>Bet you finish less than 10% of books you "read"
How did you know my secret shame?

Attached: 1147390_1.jpg (630x630, 34K)

There's no small ereader that's apt at pdfs. If it's just text you'll be fine or can just convert. But if it's some technical shit with lots of diagrams and other wacko formatting, only those expensive 10" readers will do.

If you have a kobo, just download epubs.

Have an h20mk2, and want to read some chinese cartoons on it. Unfortunately, that irc channel (momokimo? Whatever) is not taking Inn new accounts, so I've been getting by with tachiyomi which saves locally on a smartphone with Itty bitty pngs and shit.

Can koreader make it easier to transfer all these files to the kobo? Or am I missing some steps here? Any suggestions, including calls for suicide, are most welcome.

I wish AnkiDroid could scale the card to fit the large screen better

Attached: 20181031_141612.jpg (581x794, 119K)

Never. Color tech exists that works fine but they won't put it into an ereader because they don't think it has a market.

Attached: 20181031_142309.jpg (1161x1711, 592K)

I wish the larger boox had a frontlight, or, even better, the kobo color temp light.

for me it's the yotaphone3

5.2'' 720x1280 e-ink carta II always in my pocket
feels good

Attached: 20181029_210013.jpg (2880x2160, 1.68M)

>tfw i'll never own a Sony Digital Paper Tablet
i just want to read mangos on a big screen bros

Attached: spike siegel is sad.jpg (288x269, 19K)

much much much better
it's a shame there's no 8" option

>t. cat-eater masisi haitian

Attached: 1522066324737.gif (355x412, 1.04M)

>dual screen
I feel like this would be worst of both worlds

you mean best of both worlds

Attached: 20181029_204607.jpg (2880x2160, 1.69M)

Unironically I want one of those phones.

it looks nice and the dual screen is wicked, never seen anything like that before, but ill never give up my nokia 1100

Amazon shitters, every single time.

Is 6" enough to read manga? I feel like it's too small but I'm cheap.

Attached: interro 8.png (194x214, 44K)

I just love muh 10k books on muh kindle. paperwhite
AHAHAHAHHA!
KEEP SEETHING THOUGH!
Don't let me stop ya!
AHAHAHAHAH!!
WOOOOW!

I love my Sony Reader but it's been acting up lately. I wish they still made new models :(

Yes

I've got one of these too. Now that I know that Sony model runs Android and and isn't locked down anymore I sort of wish I'd gone for it instead. $100 cheaper and much smaller bezels. At least this one works as a monitor too though, when I get a larger 3D printer I'm going to make a laptop case for my Creator Ci20

what do u recommend then u faggot?

My Tolino got screen cancer ;_; (sorry for unfocused image, but it gets the point across)

Does anyone know a good cheap (~$100) Android-based eReader? I don't mind ordering from China.

Attached: DSCF3420_res.jpg (1000x750, 505K)

uh the forma came out like a week ago amigo

Just buy it from eBay and get a kobo.
Got Glo HD for 300 shekel.

Literally anything listed in the OP is better than the closed mess that is kindle, sweetie.

Is it possible to get anki on kobo?

fine, recommend me one that that doesn't have a readable logo slapped on the front of bezel while reading

Imagine being so inept you can't remove or cover a logo.

bet you can't recommend then

isn't it hot trash?

user in the last ereader thread mentioned that they much preferred the feel of the build of the aura one.
It really seems like an odd shape to me.

the oasis is awesome but i feel like the forma is too big and heavy for it to work

i'm looking to buy an aura one but i'm kinda thinking twice because some people said it's too slow for manga and that's 99% what i'll be using it for

Mango is shit on any ereader under 10"

I have a 7yr old Prestigio. I'm using it mostly for textbooks and books (pirated, PDF or epub). From my experience 6" is not enough for most PDFs or it may be just crappy software, idk. I skimmed through the readers available in my country and the majority are 8", so how are PDFs on 8"?

Some books are fucking unreadable. Also, it's slow af and crashes sometimes.
I don't care about shops, would rather not have them installed. Would rather have no ads, no fancy shit etc.
Would be nice to use it below 0°C, cause this reader, well, freezes.

i can't afford a DPT so my best bet is the aura one, which is already expensive enough
the slowass mango page turning speed really is a bummer though

DPT is free. You just need to learn to program and you're welcome to post there.

>too big for a phone
>too small for an e-reader
yeah great fucking idea

How are kobos for pdfs? Most of what I have is pirated in pdf format. I heard kobos are the least botnet and most open. So if they can display what I want to read properly that'd be great

>too big for a phone
OK, Mr Manlet