/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 377052 d.va halloween headphones lasterk mecha no_bra nopan overwatch tail wings.jpg (3508x2288, 3.8M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6t13YuPVOBg
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones/talk/2201998?referer=RP8H9F.
mediafire.com/file/8dr7hp34vq11aag/HD58X_evaluation.pdf.
headnhifi.com/components/power-supplies/power-supply-15v-ac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

my penis is rock hard

WILLIAM THE SON OF SCHIIT SHILL HAS BEEN CURSED

BUY SCHIIT

Attached: deruntermensch.jpg (613x595, 89K)

should i buy Focal Clear Professional or no

sure if you like it

>fecal clear
Enjoy your crackling

Attached: P9161120.jpg (4608x3456, 2.54M)

Focal is shit

Daily reminder of the state of this whole thread:

>Delusional Shiit shills that legitimately, unironically believe they made good purchases. Bonus points if they say "YGGY!" which is code word for "You and i know we made a horrible mistake but we shouldn't say it openly because that would mean accepting we fell for the meme"

>ZMF shills that will only post "PREORDER" or a copypasta with random nonsense about a literal who that resells chinese aliexpress drivers into wooden cases strapped with a hairpin for thousands of dollars. Again, people that spent WAY too much and wont admit it made a mistake. Bonus, the Zach & Friends defense force that will drown your post with nonsense so it disappears quickly

>IdolTrash asking what's your gear

>TakstarDude recommending the same shitty headphone to anyone too poor to afford something better or too lazy to buy CALs

>Sennheisser Army that instead of focusing on what is good about senns, like upper range and soundstage, decide to spread lies like "good bass on the HD600" or "Totally not murder trebble on the HD800" .

>Audeze and Hifiman fanboys posting the only picture they could get before their "headphones" fell apart in tiny pieces

>People who unironically, in 2018, are buying Beyers and AKG's ignoring how those companies went to shit along with everything they make many moons ago.

>Randoms trying to make you believe STAX is a meme

Shit tier OW girl.

The most yikes part of this is that its all true. Atticus is a pretty fucking good work headphone though.

why did Tyler put it in wall of fame then

Just bought a Schiit stack and some HD 58x Jubilee's.

How'd I do /hpg/?

you got a pile of shit (literally, their dac is shit)

Atticus is tonally nice, but now you are probably looking at the literal hairpin holding the cup to the headband and wondering when it will break

Good headphones. Schiit stuff is overpriced but not bad. You'll enjoy it for sure. What did you come from?

hello Schiit shill how much do they pay you to shill in these threads?

>tfw bought K702 while knowing how the company is absolutely chinked
Then again, grabbed these new pretty cheap and like the sound quality replaceable cable.

Attached: dealcrop.png (437x418, 307K)

take a few breaths user, everything will be okay

Even Amir said that Modi 3 is good, you can now stop with this ”Schiit always sucks” nonsense. Of course, it’s their only DAC worth buying.

>you can now stop with this ”Schiit always sucks” nonsense
okay, sure we can compromise.

schiit is a garbage company who has only released one competent dac that still has issues with usb after being exposed for a snake oil peddler with customer service that hates their customers

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1526218343989.png (1080x1920, 2.46M)

I just said their stuff is overpriced. Are you retarded? I'd never recommend anyone buy them but he already has them and it isn't like the current ones are trash. Everyone should buy o2s.

Since Massdrop fucked up and sent me O2+SDAC with US wall wart to Europe (even after they had reviews warning them of that mistake, also I double checked I selected europlug) is it safe to use any 12VAC plug with it? I really don't want to send this shit back, customs ripped me off as it is.

i love you

Got a 660s on the way, excited.

Attached: 20181031_155912.jpg (4032x3024, 3.56M)

Me too, user.
Btw, did you watch Love Live? :)

Attached: 1521710975672.jpg (640x711, 63K)

>$100-150
>SEA
>Smartphone
>IEM
>V/U as long as the low mids are not recessed as fuck
>Takstar pro 80, TFZ Galaxy T2, Shozy Hibiky

Looking for something to spend on this christmas, got my eye on iBasso IT01, Kinera Idun or Pioneer CH9T.

i did! I think i like K-ON! more but personal tastes :)

How big is your idol pictures folder?

>How big is your idol pictures folder?
Actually tiny, if I discount the drawer with screenshots from mpv.
A trusty friend runs some sort of pic indexing thing, so I throw URLs at it when I find pix I like. Locally, I only keep a handful.

>Budget
150$
>Location
Montenegro
>Source
Phone most likely
>Type of headphone
Wired
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
niec
>Sound signature
Bass, but not a basshead
>Past headphones
Nothing worthy of mentioning

wish the chinks would make stax clones, but very ugly plastic ones at that

:wish the chinks would make stax clones, but very ugly plastic ones at that

Why? so poorfags can ejoy earspeakers?

yes haha

Let´s make it happen boi.

Superlux L300´s

audio such a meme

Monoprice just announced electrostats for 700 bucks incl. the energiser, release TBD.

why buy a 660S when you can modify a 58X jubilee for 0 (zero) dollars and make it sound the same ?

Imagine - two of those loose penis jacks, one per side of the headphones
So many possibilities

Attached: the superlux system™.jpg (2707x2699, 945K)

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

>HD660
>AD1000X
I imagine these will complement each other well.

Was running HD 380 pro's off my USB audio interface. Wanted to try open-back and needed a DAC with optical connection so I could switch between audio on my PS4 and PC without having to unplug anything.
I was looking at the o2-odac but the optical port is why I went with Schiit instead.

The headphone jack in my PC is failing.
I want to upgrade to DAC-Amp and such.

Is Schiit magni+modi the best option?

I'm in EU, budget is 200 euro, my headphone is Philips SHP9500

Are you from reddit?
Schiit is garbage lol

>So I've officially fallen off the wagon again as I got one of these just now. I swore I was done buying headphones but clearly not... So I just put them on my head so listening impressions will come later but first some over all impressions. Now the case...the case is super retarded whoever came up with should be patted on the back for being super "special". It's pretty much Head-fi in a case form, has wank factor off the scale but is utterly useless. Way, way too heavy too.

>Now the cable, from the outside it looks well enough made but I will open it up to see what's inside. The pins on the plug were all bent and it looks like the whole front of the plug has bent inwards as it is now concave. Not sure if it was supposed to be like that but it has clearly deformed a bit. I needed to bend the pins to get them to fit in our custom made sockets so something is off. Now this is a used set so I don't know what abomination it was plugged into... The rest of the cable is ok, I like the small splitter piece but the cable is way too microphonic for my taste. Even the smallest tap is transmitted straight to the cups.

>Now the actual connectors for the cups...again we reach one of those "special" design choices. So it looks like a DB9 plug (smaller though) but the actual contacts are tiny PCB mount parts so it is all for show. I'll take some pics later but this is super stupid. I'll also run some HV tests on it and see how it holds up as I zap it with some KV's.

Attached: mrspeakers-voce_04.jpg (567x425, 18K)

>Is Schiit magni+modi the best option?
kek
buy a usb dongle dac and a chinkshit amp

>I'm in EU, budget is 200 euro, my headphone is Philips SHP9500
And you're thinking about spending ~300€ in dac/amp? Are you insane?
Get new headphones, such as HD600, instead. It'll make a huge difference, unlike any dac/amp you could possibly buy.
As for your PC problem, just plug your headphones into any other jack in your PC, and configure it as a headphone output.

You're going to notice a large improvement. HD380s have their uses especially when you need isolation but are not good all around entertainment headphones. The biggest difference you'll notice is soundstage as the HD380's is small even for a closed back headphone. The difference when gaming will be massive.

>Now some impressions, system has changed a bit since last time as I got a Denafrips Terminator DAC plus it is now fed by a Kimber KS-2436 silver USB cable...not that it matters and I only got it to prove that point but it's there. ;) Amp is a stock Carbon which does look rather nice with the black aluminum Stax plug on these.

>They are certainly even more inefficient than the 007's but the Carbon drives them with ease. In fact I'm not even at 12 o'clock so I could easily drive them into arc'ing if I wanted to pull a Ray on this. Other aspects are just fine though, even though I can't stand the earpads the fit is just fine and the headband might work for those with silly large heads. The cutouts in the leather might bother those though without a full head of hair. The drivers are dead silent with no music playing so no dust migration issues.

>Anyway, I first tried them bone stock and initial impressions were ok. Not great but I first thought "at least they don't do anything seriously wrong", I just pressed random on the playlist and some Thompson Twins came up which was a lucky stroke for them. As soon as something else came up I noticed they just sound odd, the top end is both muffled and peaky at the same time, the midrange sounds distant and hollow and the bass has a very pronounced resonant frequency but limited extension. The soundstage is vague and diffused compared to the better units but far from as bad as say the HE90's.

>Next step was to remove those foam pads from inside the drivers. Now they are 5mm and not 4mm as I stated before (eyeballing while lifting up one end vs. actually measuring) and super dense. This is nothing like the open cell stuff Stax used in most models from 1977, that presents limited to no restriction on the sound while this foam... it barely lets any light through it so impact on the sound is huge. I'm a bit baffled why anybody would add this as removing it does wonders to the sound.

Attached: 20181030_210323366_iOS.jpg.0152b3f8d4219c63e2b729ea91f26c5c.jpg (3024x4032, 872K)

>Now where to start, everything is improved and much of the weird sound is gone. The top end is a still peaky and uneven (so much so that I need to turn down the volume often) but far more open. Same goes for the bass, that annoying "thump" is all but gone and the response is flatter and more natural. Extension is still limited compared a properly setup set of 007's but perfectly adequate. There is some of the same uneven bass response as the 009's and 009S's as they have problems with the same test tracks but I can live with it. Now for the all important midrange, yeah you guessed it, more open and "there" right in front of you. Now the soundstage is a bit lost and lacks the layering and depth of the 007's but compared to most out there, perfectly fine. There is still some reverb clearly audible but swapping out the pads should take care of that but we will know for sure soon.

>So the bottom line is, if you own one of these, remove the fucking foam!! This is a discussion we've been having for decades with the HD580 and all the successors so yeah... adding damping like that is about as retarded as the whole sorbothane BS. Don't try to tune electrostatics like this, it will never work. Change the earpads, change the distance of the drivers to the ears, change how the drivers are built but never, ever throw some foam on there and think you did a good job. Fucking pathetic.... Anyway, sorry for the rant but this bothers me so much as it is just so lazy. Now next step will be to swap out the earpads and I want to stick with something anybody can get so none of my custom made pads are eligible. This might take a while as I need to take stock and see what I currently have...

Attached: 20181030_211712571_iOS.thumb.jpg.1071a214db0c328edc8b5984445c8411.jpg (563x750, 86K)

More is always better user. more is always better...

Attached: whendiversityworks.jpg (825x549, 105K)

>and make it sound the same ?

Idiot, 660s contains fixes for virtually most problems people had with the 600/650. 660s is about one of the best cans they have released.

He didnt say otherwise, but the 58X Jubilee uses exactly the same driver and the same tuning. With minimal modifications you get a cheaper 660S that sounds the same.

>Got a 660s on the way, excited
Kinda redundant, user.

why not spending 20$ more fore the he4xx to join the superior planar tecnology team?

It doesn't use the same driver.

>superior chinkshit with flimsy construction falling apart team

>660s is about one of the best cans they have released
tyll didn't thinked so
youtube.com/watch?v=6t13YuPVOBg
the driver is smaller on the hd58x but it can be tuned to sound very close

mine work nice and are rock solid, not that i dont like my hd600 but since i got planars i dont use them a lot, they sound a little boring compared to them. and not that the 4xx are v shaped. the veil is real even if not that bad as people make it to be.

dubs of kinda truth, esp first post, I got into this headphone shit a bit ago and not even a week of googling you can figure out Schiit is the Apple of headphones, overpriced shit that uses marketing to sell to idiots.

Did you just read one /hpg/ thread and fall for every meme in it? Not bad, but you over paid for shit schiit.

>he4xx
>pay 20$ more to have your headphones break in 3 months

No thanks i like my headphones in 1 piece

Comment from Sennheiser: massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones/talk/2201998?referer=RP8H9F.

HD 58X evaluation: mediafire.com/file/8dr7hp34vq11aag/HD58X_evaluation.pdf.

Is that mp3 player hitting you in the chin and flapping in your face an issue?
(asking because I might do the same thing with a cheap mpow bluetooth receiver)

Wasn't the USB issue related to the ASIO4ALL driver Amir used?

You can use any AC/AC adapter has a voltage output between 13.5V~22.5V and a minimum current output of 200 mA.

I like how even zeos shills the 660 and still can't recommend it over the 58x... but glad someone is an idiot and falling for marketing and can't brain. (enjoy your iphone and starbucks, surprised you don't have beats)

if you rape your headphones is not Dr.Fang fault, he know how to make quality headphones.

headnhifi.com/components/power-supplies/power-supply-15v-ac

in reality i dont even own senheissers atm because my 650's guess what... cracked on the headband and sold them on ebay.

Damn that guy got shitty taste in music.

I dont, i have others like MSR7, AH-D5200, ATH-A990Z... all of them withstanding a beating and still in perfect condition. They also happen to be superior in sound as their price-matched alternatives of hifiman

I guess he's right, there's still people recommending Hifimans

you can prob just get one on ebay, voltage is the only thing that matters, and as long as it has the same amps or more (even if it's way more, that's ok) voltage is the only thing to worry about.

>They also happen to be superior in sound as their price-matched alternatives of hifiman

nice meme

heh i have titinus on left ear therefore i dont have to worry about buying expensive headphones for life cuz there is no point
since only right ear is gud to listen the quality

I'm looking for a pair of open back headphones under 200-250$ mainly listen to classical rock jazz electronic.

hd600

So my chifimans are falling apart and I feel like fucking FOOL for buying them, but I just got a $1k bonus from work and have nothing else to spend my money on so I'm thinking of upgrading instead of spending $200 to fix all of the issues that are developing on my chifis

How good are the Massdrop Koss electrostatics? the frequency response graph looked really good and their distortion is unbelievably low, is it really worth spending that much more to import STAX?

Attached: 1514089956497.png (1694x768, 823K)

>planarshit
>superior
Rofl. No.

>Comment from Sennheiser
Requires Massdrop account to read. Why not screenshot or paste instead?
>HD 58X evaluation
Shit filehosting site.

I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF WHY DID I EVER BUY CHIFIMAN WTF I THOUGHT OLDER CHIFIMAN DIDN'T HAVE HORRENDOUS QC ISSUES WTF!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THEY SOUND SO GOOD, BUT NOW THEY'RE GOING TO BREAK AND I WON'T BE ABLE TO ENJOY ANYTHING LIKE THEM AT THAT PRICE EVER AGAIN

Attached: 1529546288161.png (280x291, 88K)

Should have got a older model and took care of them
Don't buy that estat it doesn't have a dust filter which means you're gonna have to send it to koss multiple times a year.
You have no idea what you're talking about
Get Yamaha hp1 its better than he400, lcd2 andlcd3. They're $50

It's like how everyone loves the o2, and its a standard, and yet, there are like two articles about how it's crap. Just makes me think those are shills used to push other stuff, or just contrarians... and so weird how Sennheiser would say that! almost like they want you to buy the $500 headphones instead of the $150 ones...

How did you break them? Are you too stupid to replace the headband?

I think the Schiit is ironic. Maybe.
That guy is less annoying blogging than when he is on topic.
Hifiman used to be cheaply made and cheap. Now they're just cheaply made.
AKG has been gutted as a headphone company, Beyer's a bit short on nice new products. Both have a decent back catalog, so it's fine.
Stax is a meme, but they mostly sound fine enough. I still think the 007 was a mistake.

The left earcup is falling apart from the headband and the left channel keeps buzzing randomly

I'M GOING TO FUCKING DO IT JUST YOU WATCH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1516968996564.png (900x973, 486K)

snibedi snab :DDDD

wtf r u guys doing to ur senns to make them snap
i can barely feel any tension when i put my hd600s on my head, u guys must be like bending these tf out.

>le 58x is 660s

when will this autism stop?

Attached: 309.png (600x400, 157K)

i think its just the plastic. It probably doesn't handle flexing that well.

Thanks for the replies. The issue was thankfully simpler; it was really an EU wart that just needed an adapter for EU sockets, they didn't include it in the box for some reason.

Anyways O2+SDAC is hella loud for DT1770 250ohm even when the pot is at 11oclock low gain. Compared to Dragonfly Black it's an upgrade SQ wise from what I hear, but I need to test it more to get rid of confirmation bias.

yeah the plastic looks like itd snap if i acted like a chimp with them.
i MAY have an older model, cause they could have been made anywhere from the 90s till now, and i got them used.

fuck off frogposter

FUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Attached: 1528407771046.jpg (500x590, 44K)

>this old fart that tests 2k cans on an iphone is worthy

i can think for myself, by the way 660s drivers a re different. It wont sound like the 58x you poor twat.

True, it's been shown the 58x is probably better, it actually has some bass. it being 1/3 of the price isn't horrible either.

I like them frogs. They're cute.

>reused chainlink meme

You deserve everything coming your way user

only reason I am not buying it, the 58x is even more efficent so really doubt I even need an amp, but I am running my volume from 60-90% depending on song, so maybe I just need a cheap little one (the old e10k?)

no I fucking DON'TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN FUCK CHIFIMAN

Attached: 1535707934459.jpg (808x805, 177K)

>it's been shown the 58x is probably better

No it hasn't, stop spreading misinformation. We get it, you're a poorfaggot who can only buy from massdrop.