Java or something else to learn?

Pretty much i want advice.

Java 11 released about a month ago. The boss of my job asked me to search to study on Java 11 or Java 8. This is about a new program for bookkeeping and to record everything in the factory (materials required and the production) The thing is, i am not a programmer. I wrote scripts on batch files on CMD and almost nothing more.

I am thinking of considering another language or to learn Java. The boss trusts me, even if i fail i will not be fired. But if i succeed i will get a raise (80% increase or more).

So which Java should i learn or which language?

Attached: 1200px-Java_programming_language_logo.svg.png (1200x2195, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform_Module_System
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Install Gentoo.

Sounds like you better get reading instead of asking a Chinese pixel art blog to do your job.

Java doesn't sounds like the best option for the program idea if you insist of using Java you can learn it really fast, most of the Java hate is just circlejerk

learn it, it has a bit of a curve, but it's pretty usable with an excellent support.
everyone that tells you otherwise is a virgin neet

I thought about it. The boss has the idea for the Java program to work on Linux OS.

Thats why i wanted to ask here. The first "experiment" was on .NET. The boss has a program for that but the old programmer messed up so he decided to make a new one with Java. From what i searched so far its good for Java coz it can run on any device with minor tweaks under the database on a single server for all PC, Android, etc.

The Java 8 support will stop in a few years. Java 11 will be for as long as the 8 lasted. That's why i ask which will be better to learn.

Note: Java 12 will come around in 2019. Pretty similar to 11.

Python and NodeJS top code language. If you want a lot of money.

Learning Java is easy, what do you know already?

kek

Learn haskell.

If would recommend kotlin. It also runs on the JVM and is 100% java compatible. It has one of the fastest growing user groups over all high level programming languages and is just so much smoother then java. I've coded in both languages and kotlin is just more fun.

It has to be Web?

just make it a web app based on node.js

Java has improved a lot and isn't going anywhere. I think you should learn Java 11 straight away so the modules that have been introduced with Java 9 won't convuse you that much.

First time i read about those 2. I will check them out. How much time it requires to learn them?

Maybe in the future. Afaik java websites can have a similar utility and access on the same database. For now it's planed for Windows OS and maybe linux.

I have no knowledge of this but i will check this out as well. The boss wants a custom OS with a few graphics (for example directing to googlemaps, one single UI with tabs like web browser). Will node.js suffice for it?

That's the thing. As you said learning directly for Java 11 will be better for now and the future. Do you suggest for any book?

>Do you suggest for any book?
I can't really suggest anything because I've always been the type of person that learns by doing.

Also don't listen to this retard
node.js was a mistake and it will eventually die. There are tons of frameworks for Java, from easy to full blown enterprise frameworks. Spring Boot, Spark, Vertx just to name a few.

Most of the time the changes are that big and simple to slightly advanced programs are all backwards compatible. Most of these neckbeard fags will tell you some stupid language like python, node or haskell, don't fall for their memes. Java is one of the easiest to learn, especially for your task, go with Java, someone mentioned kotlin, idk much about it, but it's worth looking into as it essentially "runs Java". From what I've read Java is best for you. Learning Java is the same on 8 and 11, it's just changes in features essentially, so just learn Java as a whole, and use 11 for future support.

There's also a shit ton of good tutorials and shit online, like Harvard's open course shit, and new Boston, I've never personally used them though as I learned Java in high school.

Trial and error. I may learn a few things. What you think is the best way to learn about Java? Because i know almost nothing.

Thanks for the tip. Yes i will look into kotlin. For Java 8 vs 11 i read a lot things changed. If we write it in 8 and in about 2 years choose to change to 11 will we have to rewrite and change the whole project?

Do you want a job?
Learn Java
Do you want a good job?
Learn Java

>What you think is the best way to learn about Java? Because i know almost nothing.
Youtube.

Jump into Java 11 right away, for a new project it's a no brainer.
DO NOT use Oracle JDK as it's only free for development and testing.
If you develop on linux your package manager should provide you with an OpenJDK build. If you're on windows there's a bunch of builds you can use: AdoptOpenJDK, Azul, Red Hat...
The lack of LTS for java 11 isn't as big of a deal and they make it out to be. AdoptOpenJDK and Red Hat will provide their own LTS for their OpenJDK build, but most like you won't even bother upgrading your version of Java because >enterprise anyway.

i feel like haskell would work best for this
learn haskell

There's no real difference between java 8 and 11, they just added a couple of QoL stuff in 11.

>There's no real difference between java 8 and 11
LOL

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform_Module_System

This board is full of idiots.

Take advice on Jow Forums with a big grain of salt. Spending time on Haskell would be a waste of time in your case. The language is super interesting but getting help to write a bookkeeping application in it will be hard.
I say stick to a single language that's popular so that you can find help easily and rely on good libraries.
Good luck OP!

I meant coding wise. If you're asking 'should I learn java 8 or java 11', they work exactly the fucking same. If you're following a java 11 tutorial they're going to put the exact same shit in it as the java 8 tutorial. The QoL stuff I was talking about was the var stuff etcetera.
Of course the module system is there but do you really need to learn it to start out coding?

You take the problem from the wrong side.
This is 2018, pretty much everything a modern company needs already exist, you should evaluate the differents solutions before considering reinventing the wheel.
Especially if you don't have any knowledge in programming.
As you want to build it yourself, I imagine your boss is not willing to pay for proprietary solutions so you should lurk around open source ones first.
I suggest exploring python and node-based solutions in addition to java.
I don't know anything about this particular field so I can't help you.

I will have my first step in the programming world. So starting from 8 will be a good choice?
Thanks brother.
For Java yes, i need to learn it. Afaik it will work for a very long time for apps i need. Even if it is a single program.
The boss wants a specific custom program for his company. I search which way is the best one. A meeting will be in next Monday to set the course. It matter not if you don't say anything about the field that i asked. General information is greatly welcome. So tell me the general idea of python and node. Work them along with java?

Stop asking so many questions and start reading and coding already.

The base is the same for Java 8 and 11, so it doesn't matter where you start. You might as well start with the latest one, though. This is true for pretty much all languages.

>Work them along with java?
in place of java.
Lots of enterprise development is done in javascript with node as a base.
It works great if you have to work with databases and have a clean client interface.
Python is a good idea as it's usually really easy to set up

>nodejs works geat with databases
yea no.. not if we're talking about relational databases

>Lots of enterprise development is done in javascript
Yeah, no. There's two kinds of people making backends with js. Frontend developers too lazy to learn another language and retards.

weeoooweeoooweeee
retard alert, retard alert

node.js scales like shit and has shit performance in comparison to java (vert.x) and isn't used for any serious development in the backend.

>I will have my first step in the programming world. So starting from 8 will be a good choice?
Well you might as well start with java 11 just because it's the latest version. But any java 8 tutorial or whatever should suffice. Just read up on the module system
if you're going to start working in java 11

I only do C++ but we have in house softwares in js and they work great, more than 60000 employees used them and it's ok.

This but unironically