Is this a meme or do I really need to put tape over my webcam if I care about security?

Is this a meme or do I really need to put tape over my webcam if I care about security?

Attached: webcam_01.png (988x1200, 1.27M)

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/mac/docs/Apple_T2_Security_Chip_Overview.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

if you need to ask that question it's assumed that you wouldn't be aware if your webcam was hijacked so yes you probably should.

Some laptops have hardwired LEDs.
The MacBooks are like this but there was a paper bypassing it, it required them to replace the firmware.
If you can't be bothered to check then put a bit of tape up, but I think if someone is breaking into my house to put alternate firmware on my MBP then I have bigger problems than a webcam.

I'd wonder when they'll start hardwiring a webcam directly into the screen itself so you'll never be able to hide from the eye

>hardwired
>bypass using software
>replace the firmware to fix
I don't think you quite understand the concept of "hardwired".

no be proud of what you do in bed with wife.

In all honesty, yes. If it's your personal machine all this privacy shit goes out the window since you're probably not very important, and if it's for work then you'd most likely want to disable your microphone as well.

Newer models are actually hardwired as far as I know. That bypass was probably for older models. Macs with T2 chips also have hardwired microphones that disconnect if you close the lid.

Page 13.
apple.com/mac/docs/Apple_T2_Security_Chip_Overview.pdf

How come so many people have tape over their laptop webcam but none of them have tape on their smartphone front camera ?

I need that one to take selfies

Only on your work computer.
>t. contstantly masturbates at work.

haven't you watched mr robot?

I don't get the T2 hardwired microphone thing.
Apple made it sound like it can do this BECAUSE of the T2 chip, but if so, that's not really hardwired is it?

>tape over my webcam
you should be concerned about microphone not webcam, npc

>not using a pre-2000's flatbed with only a vga monitor and ps/2 keyboard
>and not installing gentoo on it

My phone's front facing camera spends 99% of it's time viewing the black image it gets from the inside of my pocket or the dullness of my bedroom ceiling.

The chip must have a circuit that is broken when the lid is closed.

who the fuck even cares? Even on the rare chance they viewed you, what would they see? Nothing unless your like a terrorist or running a meth lab.

>not unplugging the header inside the bezel
it's like you want someone to make a soundboard of your most private info you say out loud

I just cover my webcam because I feel like its an eye watching me, and that makes me uncomfortable.

>implying this wouldn't be flattering at the least

Unless you have a job that deals with trade secrets that the chinese would want to steal, the only other reason to cover your website is if you are in a high level management position at a fortune 500 company.

because they dont know anything about anything

I've been doing it for years. The internal webcam is always shitty quality anyway so i literally never need to use it.

quick story on why I do this and don't use webcams anymore
>be like, 10
>minecraft gaining in popularity
>playing with my dad
>as we're playing, start getting weird pop ups that are relevant to the game
>notice webcam is on
>figure it's because in skype call with my dad
>cover it up anyways
>message pops up with a "Uncover your webcam please"
>took my dad-a computer tech-ten minutes to realize what was happening despite that I was explaining it to him
>he looks at it, opens task manager, and computer blue screens

deadass didn't use the computer for about a month after that. for context, my I shared a computer a sibling at the time, and I'm fairly certain they downloaded a trojan.

Attached: subaru.jpg (280x223, 9K)

webcam spying is a meme, they use the microphone to spy on you.

one ad agency can determine the size of your house using your microphone and they can even determine if you have a baby in the house using random 1 second audio clips.

Source please.

Flash your penis in front of the cam before you use your computer to let the spys know you don't give a shit. Or wave