/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 8d2cd1c2af4a6497c23242d1d295577b.jpg (1280x960, 164K)

Other urls found in this thread:

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9oisjc/had_my_hd_800_ss_for_only_a_week_babied_them_and/
old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4qe1a4/hifiman_build_quality_brand_new_pads/
old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5kr8gp/hifiman_review_manipulation/
old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8twrgd/fyi_to_all_hifiman_sundara_owners_with_driver/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You should note, from now on. If you do not own the headphone or have tried the headphone you are talking about, and only have a graph and hearsay.

You need to shut the fuck up, and keep your uneducated opinion to yourself.

when does audeze sell their b stock?

This. Still waiting on that pic+timestamp from butthurt user in the last thread.

DT1990 is unlistenable trash that is objectively brighter than the DT990 Pro as the DT1990 has the same amount of, if not more, treble but even less bass. The treble spike on the DT1990 is twice as loud as the midrange.
They want $600 dollars for it. Figured I should mention that part.

Attached: treble.png (680x478, 62K)

see
Read and learn.

At least they don't fall apart ;)

Agreed. this user has yet to post pics of his setup

>hey guys, check this out! the 1990 has less bass than the 990 even though it's a lot more responsive and smooth
>hahaa 1990 sucks bros!

Attached: 1534877260118.jpg (750x1113, 416K)

For desktop PCs, is there any reason to buy a sound card for the PCI Express Slot? Do most of you just buy USB amps?

Looking for a side grade from your HE500 with a bit better build quality, mid bass hump, and more treble?
Look no further than the Sennheiser HD800 with the SDR mod or if you are big money incarnate perhaps the HD800S.

Attached: muhdetail.png (2160x1218, 105K)

Template:

>Budget
$100 or less
>Location
US
>Source
Computer
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Open or semiopen
>Comfort level
Would prefer comfort
>Sound signature
Bass or V
>Past headphones
681 EVO, pretty good but the connector sucked. Would prefer headphone with female jack.

Sennheiser last for years
hifiman breaks after a week

tough choice

Yeah but one sounds dark as shit and I hate treble and headphones that don't fall apart.

It's gonna be a hifiman for me!

*paint chips*

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9oisjc/had_my_hd_800_ss_for_only_a_week_babied_them_and/

Attached: 2b3d3ozj5gs11.jpg (3024x4032, 563K)

I need really comfortable over ear headphones with good isolation, my budget is $150. It also needs a detachable wire and a reputable seller, not some chinese seller on aliexpress
for sound signature just whatever is good for metal
if I need a DAC/AMP for it then list that too, but dont count it for the budget

No worries. If you're too hipster to enjoy the mainstream and successful HD800 and HD800S the Focal Utopia sounds just as good as the HE500 and is built very well.

Attached: sidegrade.png (2160x1218, 104K)

Sound great to me and only got them for $500 lel
you people are so sensitive about treble it's funny

Sorry but I like headphones that fall apart and sound like shit. You can't fool me with your $4000 audiophool memecans, gonna be sticking with these trusty HE500s ;)

why does the driver look dirty as fuck? it looks like he dropped it outside on the concrete

funny thing is you got a better headphone then 95% of people on /hpg/
those hating it have never heard it's clarity and separation which are amazing for the price range

A wise man indeed. A strictly objective mindset is the only way to approach headphones.

>Indeed, we have made a clear design choice on Elear (and by consequence Elex) and Utopia.
>the new one will be designed similarly and it will also have a kind of cracking sound when you will be listening to music with high volume and a fair amount of bass. The only solution we can recommend you is therefore to listen to your headphones at a lower volume to avoid the cracking sound.
>The only problem with this explanation is that they say it only happens on high volumes with bass, but even at moderate volumes with tracks without bass I can still get popping & crackling. I don't like how they're pretending that it's always fringe cases when it isn't.

$4000 headphone that doesn't even do full linear range KEK nice suggestions user.

No my friend, you're not looking at what REALLY makes a headphone great. Does it fall apart? Does it sound like shit? If you're not answering yes to both these questions, you should probably look towards another headphone.

Oh god I have several of those headphones showed in the OP image. I can only guess how shit they are

Well there is always the best headphone ever made. The Sennheiser HD600.

I'll agree with you there, a great midfi budget headphone

can you make a new thread where you have two threads up at a time. one for poorfags, and other thread for people with jobs that can afford something other than a HD600.

It's good, but for $300 you can do better. The HD600 will fall apart, but it doesn't sound like shit. Therefore, the search goes on. If only there was a headphone that fulfills both. Maybe... the HE500!

>nobass
>notreble
>snap
good for the price but far from being the best

I get what you guys mean about soundstage now, I heard a snare drum and I flinched

>4000$ headphone sound "just as good" as 400$ ones.

see how dumb you are?

>Maybe... the HE500!
I can't believe you've made it this many posts in and they are still on your head

Like many HE500 users, I have an exceptionally small head. Even so, they'll snap any second now.

Friendly reminder that people who tell you to ignore clear problems with a frequency response found in two separate measurements are the same people who will tell you to buy modi multibit over the topping d50.
Random shitty reviewers and shitposters can't hear better than a microphone.
No. They are the best headphone.

But sennheiser and schiit are a match made in heaven! The only more iconic duo is Hifmans and breaking.

Sound quality has no relation to price.

bump

>The only more iconic duo is Hifmans and breaking.
KEK

Attached: 1540027756492.png (470x470, 412K)

but being a buypig has. he500 with a good headband are still sub 600$

Hifiman he500

Friendly reminder, those that hold up graphs are pure evidence of the performance aspects of a headphone are completely wrong, these people are nothing more but graph whore which they like to show and tell (basically flamboyant flamingos of the audio world).

Those that are true to the audio game, understand that audio is all personal preference and that you shouldn't be taking graphs as an end it all approach. Every-ones ears are different.

Attached: 1530763034748.png (1000x1000, 190K)

maybe you all can try not smashing your headphones like a chimp

is that why they break
because they're all owned by chimps?
makes sense desu

Shame hifiman is so garbage, they cant even solder the drivers correctly where the wires come loose even in the upper range like the sundara.

It would be personal preference if all headphones cost the same. They don't though. You also have marketers lying to people nonstop and pumping out shill reviews.
The only way to consider a headphones merits are through objective measurement.
Same for amps and DACs.

all the headphones that break are owned by chimps, hifiman or not.

Your logic is flawed.

Indeed, the lack of experience behind so many suggestions/bashing around here is pretty bad.

Awful lot of crossover between the two groups

the difference is that hifimans break with non-chimps while the rest don't

nah its just that hifiman its not used to build headphone for chimps, he clearly ignored that his creation will eventually make they way in primitive dumb hands. other brands know better and spend more money for building chimp-proof headphones than for making them sound better. a sad world we live in, dont we?

>stop posting graphs that prove my headphones are shit
>stop it
>you need to fall for the memes I did!
cringe

Stop destroying your fucking headphones retards

god that reddit spacing, unironically off yourself

stop samefagging, loser.

it's called not buying hifiman

OwO whats this?

Attached: 20181101_191939.jpg (1494x2656, 1.36M)

How good is the HD650 though?

>buy brand new hifimans
>get sent used stained headphone pads
buy hifiman!!! excellent company

Attached: lji05qn3566x.jpg (1024x576, 94K)

no its called being an evolved form of life.
pretty good, pick the 6xx, some headphone less $

evolved forms of life don't buy hifiman

WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

Attached: 354deaa3770912621bb816da070346ab.jpg (258x245, 12K)

Small box, i wonder what could be inside

Attached: 20181101_192032.jpg (2656x1494, 1.34M)

hifimans

>stained pads
its foam, it yellows, its not dirt you idiot.
name a better price/sound choice then.

god I hope so

Very well padded, first view out of the box
We'll have to wait and see :^)

Attached: 20181101_192129.jpg (2656x1494, 935K)

>its foam, it yellows, its not dirt you idiot.
old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4qe1a4/hifiman_build_quality_brand_new_pads/

it also is broken in and noticeably softer, as if you had worn it for a year. explain that away

DT1990, the most objectively neutral and well built headphone in existence.

>guys believe me hifiman never do this
>they best company
>please bro buy from hiff and use my code for discounts :P

>I didn't contact them, no. And to be honest I don't intend to.
>The reason I posted was just for everyone to have a better picture of the type of company hifiman is. Unfortunately I absolutely love these headphones

You can tell he is a cuck, what is wrong with hifiman fans?

Attached: 1528491307005.jpg (720x707, 66K)

>I didn't contact them, no. And to be honest I don't intend to.

The reason I posted was just for everyone to have a better picture of the type of company hifiman is. Unfortunately I absolutely love these headphones, the way they sound, the comfort after upgrading the pads. I wish they were terrible so I had a reason to unleash my wrath on hifiman but I'm actually kind of smitten by them, despite this atrocious manufacturing. I don't want to deal with hifiman, I just want to enjoy my headphones :P
BTFO

It's everyone's favorite chink hardware company! That explains why it took nearly a month to get here

Attached: 20181101_192215.jpg (2656x1494, 1.14M)

comparing DT1990 with the 400's is stupid, it's like comparing a ferrari and a mazda.

Have any of you worn an Orpheus or Shangri-la before? What's it like?

>please bro buy from hiff and use my code for discounts :P
I feel like everyone always forgets that hifiman got their hand caught in the cookie jar

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5kr8gp/hifiman_review_manipulation/

Attached: OVkZVoT.png (1261x544, 34K)

The JDSLabs of China. Unlike a certain brand, which happens to be the Schiit of China.

Why not the 600? Isn't it the best one?

So now you admit they came dirty and used, and now retract your other statement?

lmao

Here to interrupt everything is the princess herself

Attached: 20181101_192238.jpg (2656x1494, 1.21M)

She won't let me go any further, maybe she is telling me to stop spending money on things I don't particularly need
Pretty fair comparison, having owned products from both jds and topping

Attached: 20181101_192510.jpg (2656x1494, 1.08M)

600 are different, he asked about 650.
they are not used thei are extesively quality checked.

cant believe i was actually considering buying the sundaras.. what a fucking shit show.

>>they are not used thei are extesively quality checked.

imagine being this pathetic and that much in delusion.

It's funny: some of the headphones I've enjoyed the most measure somewhat poorly. I'd have missed out on some great and enjoyable headphones if I fell for the frequency response graph meme.

My theory is that a lot of people listen at blisteringly loud volumes. When I really crank a headphone, particularly my DT1770s or something, I can start to see where the criticisms come from. But at a low to moderate level the boosted treble is no problem whatsoever.

savage predator expressing territorial dominance and still not letting me get to the product

Attached: 20181101_192445.webm (1920x1080, 2.9M)

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8twrgd/fyi_to_all_hifiman_sundara_owners_with_driver/
>I've had two Sundaras and three driver failures, please if you're considering the Sundara, please reconsider.

kek

buy hifiman, dont let nazis brainwash you into buying german shitphones.

scratch her cheeks and under the ears to gain access

>even took a webm
based poster

Finally got to it after bodily lifting her off of the box
Good suggestion, but she was adamant in keeping her paws firmly situated on top of it no matter what

Attached: 20181101_192625.jpg (1494x2656, 793K)

>everyone against me is a samefag
lmao, stay mad you fell for memes

Any opinions on ATH-A550Z vs m40x? Any graphs? I was about to buy the m40xs, but then I read that the A550Z are superior for similar price.

And there it is! Thank you for reading and viewing.
webm makers are very convenient nowadays

Attached: 20181101_192645.jpg (2988x5312, 2.68M)

I forgot to resize this last picture. As an apology here is a bonus picture of ms. Penny giving me a baleful look.

Attached: 20181101_192522.jpg (2656x1494, 1.35M)

congratulation user you avoided the schiit curse, enjoy your superior product and may your listening sessions be blessed

>congratulation user you avoided the schiit curse
>enjoy your superior product
>may your listening sessions be blessed

Attached: 1524607493918.gif (512x288, 1.27M)

Thank you and you too gentle poster

So i couldnt be happier with my Z2 T2 combo. But christmas is comming up and i planning to go balanced and buy the Zishan DSD. 2 questions to the /hpg/

1) can the Tin T2 be topped ? where do i go next ? (iem has to be mmcx) i am honestly going to buy a second set as i have become so attached to them but am open to suggestions

2) i have never been a fan of big over head headphones as a i have a good hifi at home and can only ride my bike with iems

anyhows im thinking of buying some takstar pro 82 for christmas - what does /hpg/ think of them ?

Attached: IMG_6685.jpg (3264x2448, 1.44M)

>anyhows im thinking of buying some takstar pro 82 for christmas - what does /hpg/ think of them ?
They are pretty nice and sound good enough for the pricepoint, the pads may look shallow but they are top comfy. Just don't crank the bass ports to the max, it fucks up every other frequency.