Which free & open source software applications can actually compete with the best, non-free equivalent?

Which free & open source software applications can actually compete with the best, non-free equivalent?

Blender obviously comes to mind. It's faster and significantly less bloated than Maya, and matches it in just about every important feature + more with addons.

But then you have cases like GIMP, where despite being 22 years old, is still vastly inferior to Photoshop in every conceivable way. Even the cheaper, still not-free equivalent in Affinity Photo still blows GIMP out of the water.

How are things on the audio creation/editing front? Video editing? IDEs? Emulation?

Attached: blender_logo_square.png (512x512, 135K)

Tell me what feature that Photoshop have that you can't do in GIMP?

Being able to move a render onto another image by dragging.

If you say "free and open source" I suspect you don't know what one or both of these terms mean.

>people STILL recommend Gimp over Krita

I'm not even a professional, who has to work with photo editing software all day. But I'd still rather use ps than gimp.
It has better working and more intuitive features, the ui/ux is leagues ahead of gimp. It also integrates really well into the while adobe suite, which you'd use if you work in the creative industry

Gimp is an editor, Krita is a painting tool.

Gimp is a piece of autistic trash.

>This free, non-adobe software doesn't integrate with the Adobe walled garden, so it's bad
enjoy your 10 adobux™

What comparable ecosystem does the foss community has?
Thought so
Btw, I use gimp most of the time, bc I can't be assed to with wine, but I'd be much happier if ps would be native on linux

Having an ecosystem goes against unix philosophy.

Gimp magic wand and other selection tool are fkin useless

Gimp is made in a way that avoids copyright infringement from Adobe. Which makes it harder to use and more useless

you can buy Adobe Filters to throw on top of your Shitty Patreon Drawings

i'd be so happy if Krita drops its painting focus and would market itself as an image editor, because it has the potential to be way better than GIMP

Different user
Gnome and KDE are both ecosystems in my opinion

7-zip is much better than WinRar

qtoctave is mostly equivalent to matlab

Baby duck syndrome

End user software, basically. All of these are better or equal to the proprietary counterparts.
7zip and PeaZip, Media players (Clementine, audacious, mpv, VLC) and Torrent Clients (qBitTorrent, rTorrent, transmission/picoT, deluge), Image viewers, recorders (OBS), browsers (Firefox, Chromium, Brave), screenshot tools, Blender.
Some niche software like Handbrake, Mumble, development tools. All equal or better to the alternatives.
Security software and secure communications.
Linux kernel.

>audio creation/editing front?
Not good.
>Video editing?
Kdenlive is actually the best at supporting video formats and can work with videos of different sizes and frame rates which is something that surprisingly no proprietary video editor can do. However, it's still unstable as fuck and lacks some features like properly changing speed for the audio channel and supporting subtitles.
>IDEs?
They're all good but if you're working in a company you'll in 90% cases use that specific company's proprietary IDE because it's specialized for whatever you're doing. As for everything else, VS has a lot of features that are still absent from every other IDE. Though, VSC is open source and it's being populated with a ton of addons to make it just as good.
>Emulation?
All emulation software that's any good is open source. Closed source can't compete here.

Krita and kdenlive come to mind

QGIS

I use libreoffice every day and its pretty good

Wouldn't an ecosystem go perfectly with the unix philosophy compared to a monolith that does everything in one program?

Blender is shit, hotkeys are a bad abstraction for what should be a compiler, modelling oriented scripting language, a renderer, and optionally a text editor.
Unix philosophy doesn’t work with GUIs like that in general, they’re massive abstraction layers that do everything in multiple ways, and it works even less with artistic shit.
Freetards attempt to warp non-unix application design to fit the unix philosophy instead of designing applications that actually follow it.

This. I don't see how Microsoft Office is any better than LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Word processing and Spreadsheets aren't hard.

perfect circle

>ecosystem
this is just a shill term for walled garden

one month of Adobe Creative Cloud has been added to your account

Attached: Untitled.png (352x87, 5K)