/spg/ - Smartphone General

Foldable Phone Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Dq1dJXLVsAAOHGq.jpg (1200x755, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fb.fluid
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.simonesestito.ntiles
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nixgame.ruler
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Which one /spg/?

Attached: xz1c xz2c.jpg (728x454, 54K)

How much better is the snapdragon 835 compared to the 820? Enough to warrant an upgrade if I found a sweet deal?

I like the wider screen on the xz2c, get that one. It's got better specs too, hell, it's a no brainer decision. I'm an Xperiafag too

But I like the side-mounted fingerprint

Yeah I do too, only reason I haven't upgraded from the XZ I currently have, but I figure you can easily grip your phone and use your index finger to use the sensor on the back. I always used my thumb so I didn't like the idea of it but I could easily get used to using my index finger. Seriously, the display and specs are a no brainer if you're hung up on the side sensor.

are you actually a phone gaymer? if not, no. anything still runs without issues on a sd 805. don't be a consumerist retard.

Like I said, it was a sweet deal. 60% off for a little while but my phone's working great so I resisted the temptation to buy new tech. 2 years from now I'll get something for kicks

Both still run everything fine, but the 835 will definitely be more future proof

What is your immediate thought upon seeing this picture?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (366x441, 82K)

What's the Honor 8X?
Is it just a remade Honor 8?

Nope, it's the successor to Honor 7X, completely unrelated to the Honor 8.

What should i choose between oneplus 6t and huawei p20 pro? Purely based on the phone, not price.

If you want a better camera go p20
If you want stock Android go 6t

Meizu x8
Is it any good?
Is there anything better in the same price range of 200-300$?
>inb4 chinks will sell your data to the black market

Attached: 533709.jpg (580x546, 47K)

>2018
>buying something other than the Asian superior chad carriages

Amerifat car in 2k18 hahahahaha

What's the Toyota Corolla of smartphones right now? As in; low price, reliable, available almost everywhere, resilient, etc.

>people actually use phones with less than three charging ports

Attached: xiaomi.png (1080x2280, 364K)

iPhone 8 Plus

>Foldable Phone Edition

wtf is Royole ?
whoever made this must not be condifent in the product and don't want a shitstorm all over their main brand

some california startup

>network still dead despite installing new rom via Recovery mod.
Should I use fastboot? At this point I doubt it's about software.

Mi 8 SE if you prefer AMOLED, Pocomeme if you want more horsepower

iPhones literally don’t have this problem.

iPhones

Just got an Iphone. Best phone ever.

t. iJustine

iPhones aren't low price

OnePlus makes low price and reliable phones, and they ship most places.

Just bought an iPhone. It has latest ios already.

Just got a OnePlus 6T 8/128 coming from a Moto G5S and the regret set in as soon as the order confirmation screen came up. Also fuck 3rd party cases for thus thing being only chinkshit TPU cases.

Attached: 1215536208864.jpg (90x128, 4K)

>not buying the mi mix 3

really really liking the Mi Mix 2S lads
anyone know a site where a poorfag can setup payments or does PayPal still do credit where you can make payments on a site that accepts it?

Attached: thumb_132987_default_big.png (421x785, 453K)

I really love these iPhones

have fun with your shit vibration motor lol

Wew. I even tried Fastboot. Clean install and all and the network still fucked.

I will never understand this meme. Foldable touchscreens seem completely impractical and fragile.

Xiaomi? Nokia? At least modern Nokias are still durable if nothing else.
(You)'re not even trying.
>OnePlus makes low price and reliable phones
This hasn't been the case since the 3T.
>and they ship most places.
Sure, with ridiculous customs and shipping fees making them not viable anywhere outside of the US.

Huawei is proper flagship with all the hardware features and camera, op has better software

>tfw bought a XS Max

Attached: 1439743546652.jpg (674x678, 83K)

>Sure, with ridiculous customs and shipping fees making them not viable anywhere outside of the US.
Wrong, if you order an OnePlus phone off their website in an EU country it's sent from within the EU so there's no custom fees or taxes to be paid.

Just sold my old S8 which means I'm out of my contract and ready for a new phone.

I have done buckets of research the last few weeks and honestly, nothing really has me thinking 'this is clearly the best phone on the market.'

I've been considering the regular Pixel 3 for awhile, but I'm now actually thinking about getting my first ever iPhone (XS).

I assume next year is going to be a big year for innovation in phones, which makes me think I'm better off waiting until then.

Or alternatively, go on a lease plan with my carrier for 12 months and just rock a Pixel 3 for that time.

What do you consider the best phone on the market right now?

What's important: nothing bulky like ROG
No clunky/bullshit/bloatware Android flavours.

Wait for the S10

>What do you consider the best phone on the market right now?
LG V40 ThinQ, better than overhyped Samshit

LG has laughable camera performance, unless they did a complete 360 with this model, they can't even complete with the big boys.

reviews are stating it's the best camera LG has put out

>Mi 8 Pro is literally a Mi 8 but with different colors
>more expensive
wew

But they've got FIVE CAMERAS

It has to be the best.

just wait till the 8 camera Nokia gets released

Isn't that the global version of the Explorer? So the only real difference would be the in-screen fingerprint scanner.

Thoughts on the new Lenovo Z5 Pro?

Attached: 95% screen to body ratio.png (700x500, 308K)

Dead on arrival

Went to the store today and put my hands on an iPhone Xr because I had some time to kill. You literally have to be half an inch away from the screen to make out any difference in terms of PPI. Colors and brightness are almost indistinguishable between Xs and Xr. Why are people acting like the lower res screen makes or breaks the product? Not particularly in the market for a new phone currently but if Apple releases a """budget""" phone again next year with USB-C instead of lightning and iOS 13 manages to revamp the dated look of their UI I'll probably make the switch. I don't have any hopes for Android's fragmentation to end anytime soon. Still on fucking Oreo with my S9 4 months after Pie's release, it's just fucking embarrasing and unacceptable. Also, why the fuck did Google go for that stupid pill control instead of just copying Apple's navigation gestures. It's way more intuitive and less intrusive in terms of screen real estate.

/rant over

Eh?

So what's the point of Lenovo putting out phones under their own name and also maintaining the Motorola brand at the same time? It's not like the Thinkpad situation where they turned it into their own product line and modeled their own devices after it too, they're keeping around a whole second brand.

T-Mobile, USA

T-Mobile is financing OnePlus 6ts 24mo no interest

I'm on a redmi note 3 pro right now, should I spring for the 6t or buy xiaomi again, mi a2 lite or pocomeme?

Yes, user. People hate on Apple because they can't afford an iPhone and it's the cool thing to do amongst pajeets, this is old news. iPhones are objectively the patrician choice in terms of smartphones but people keep going on and on about "muh freedom" because they can't torrent their favorite moe anime on their phone.

>USA
>any GSM or CDMA carrier
>5.5" or bigger
>do not game, hig CPU is not necessary
need any 300$ or less poorfag phone, pls halp. My old LG just got a shattered screen

Can you not download through torrent on an iPhone?

I think it's due to being a more reputable brand in the west especially when it comes to phones. Kind of a sub-brand like Oppo and OnePlus.

>Still on fucking Oreo with my S9 4 months after Pie's release, it's just fucking embarrasing and unacceptable.
Good thing your device is developer friendly and you can use an AOSP based custom ROM.
>Also, why the fuck did Google go for that stupid pill control instead of just copying Apple's navigation gestures
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fb.fluid
You're very unfamiliar with a device you paid good money for and all of this sounds like an underhanded Apple endorsement.

I believe there are workarounds but it's not as easy as simply installing a torrent client and pasting magnet links into it. Don't quote me on that tho.

>In March 2017, the company stated that it would no longer stray away from the Motorola name, scrapping the "Moto by Lenovo" moniker to preserve the company's legacy.
According to Wikipedia. From a little reading it looks like they're still being maintained as a largely separate company operating out of the United States too. So it's more an ownership thing than an adsorption thing. Curious if Lenovo's really ended up with what they wanted out of the deal, other than their obvious quest to own all classic trusted American technology names before 2030.

>you can use AOSP based custom ROMs
let me translate
>you paid 600€ for a premium phone and yet you are expected to fiddle around with pajeet ROMs that are chuck-full of glitches and generally don't work as well as the stock ROM

>needing to install third party apps because software developers can't be assed to simply copy basic features that iPhones had for a good year now
It's not like Android isn't a copy of iOS to begin with, so...

>underhanded Apple endorsement
I've been on Android devices since 2012 and liked them for the most part, but it's getting kind of ridiculous that Google still hasn't stepped in and put other OEMs in their place. I mean I get that it's an open source OS but it ends up being anti-consumer for 99% of the userbase that can't be assed to experiment with flashing a custom ROM.

i want a yellow xr so badly

Attached: 1526796973558.jpg (626x626, 65K)

It's not anyone's fault you're unwilling to use your device to its fullest capacity and too scared to follow basic instructions. No shit Android Pie will have bugs a month after it's released, but it doesn't stay that way. Well, you know better, wait for Samsung to update your device if they so choose.
And what are the amazing features Apple has, even though it's common knowledge that it lacks many compared to Android?

I am looking for a phone that is reliable ( like HTC Desire HD ). It dosen't have to be powerful and big. I'm okay with old phones ( as long as it have 3G ).My budget is around RM100 - RM500 ) Malaysia. Any carrier would do.

( forgive me if I did some mistakes here, I am new to Jow Forums )

Redmi 6 on amazon is about 150 bucks

Anyone have any opinions on or hands-on experience with the Moto X4? I'm looking for a mid-range phone to replace my worn out Xperia Z5. I love the Z5 but it's beat up and the rear glass cracked. Don't really need the flagship hardware for my use but a nice screen, headphone jack, decent battery life and ideally waterproofing are all on the agenda. This thing looks nice and the price is right, currently going for about $400 au.

Attached: Moto-X4-Review-TI.jpg (680x454, 109K)

They picked a very unfortunate time to release it, just after two more renowned brands released their slider phones with better lists of specs. I wouldn't trust Lenovo on any of their claims either, they are the masters at getting people chinked.

I was talking about their navigation gestures in particular, not the entire OS.
And you don't seem to get it, do you? Imagine buying a notebook and having to deal with a highly customized version of Windows and in order to use it "properly" you have to void warranty and install some off-brand OS that has bugs up the ass. That is, if your device even has an active community that even bothers to develop custom ROMs at all. It's unthinkable. I don't know how you can defend the current state of Android.

>tfw dropped phone and now black screened
Fuck the Samsung GS6, is it even worth paying for repairs?

Attached: 221.png (409x306, 102K)

I got mine for 170€ today. It's an awesome phone for that price if you can deal with having an average camera. Performance is fine if you don't plan on gaming a lot but honestly who actually does, mobile games are shit. Moto gestures work really well and free up some of the screen space that would otherwise be lost by the navigation bar. Build quality is top notch, no complaints in that regard.

Motorola -> famous brand in the West
Lenovo -> chinkshit for chinks

I think lots of people simply have too much time on their hands. I realize that I'm writing this on a Malaysian carpet knitting forum but not having to tinker with your phone really is a big stress relief for me. Private phone is an iphone and business phone is a Samsung and I simply feel annoyed with the OS. This is not a desktop pc; it's unironically supposed to just werk and the fucking virtual homebutton interferes with any non Samsung native app. Any why preinstall two browsers and ask me which one I want to use? You are the experts, just give me the best one as default, I can navigate the playstore or appstore myself if it truly sucks.

Moto G

>actually buying notchshit
LMAO

Finally someone who gets it. Smartphones are fucking consumer products who are expected to be reliable, not just mere pieces of hardware like a custom built PC.

I think a lot of the experience of Android comes down to some really quite minor choices on the vendor's part. Like Sony leave their roms largely alone and there's fuckall to bother you as a result, everything's pretty vanilla and smooth. I kind of want to die every time I have to help a relative with a Samsung by contrast, I kind of want to die. I get that you needed to polish things up a bit back in the S2 days, I even had one, but these days it's just a pain in the ass.

In all fairness though, if you finally got it set up all right, the Note 9 is a great phone, basically I rarely even need my Surface anymore when giving quick presentations and for inspections.
iPhone 7+ simply makes me want to use it more by being more cohesive, might even upgrade it to an X or Xs if the notch doesn't annoy me too much.

>arguing against features and options
>just decide everything for me multinational companies you know best, I don't have time to think about anything
What's happening to this board?

Of course Samsung phones are great pieces of technology, too bad they're being held down by their awful software.

>have a multitude of options available to you on Android
>none of them work as well as Apple's

really gets your nogging jogging

Neither do bricks, retard

There's something about iOS that doesn't really feel right to me. I had an iPod touch back in the day and using a modern iPhone, it just feels like all the new features have been kind of taped on over the old UI. I'm sure you could get used to it but nothing's quite as coherent or intuitive as you'd expect from a device locked down in the name of being those two things. Android, by contrast, has had half a dozen total redesigns in that time and while I can't speak for all the vendor-customized versions out there, the vanilla-ish roms make everything feel really nicely held together.
Could also just be me being a biased sack of shit I dunno.

bought sprint S7 edge
it's locked to sprint
Want to use it on att
How dicked am I?

Some people prefer the gilded cage, with freedumbs come effort.

OnePlus 6t or Note 9

iOS:
>swipe down from the top right
>launch measurement tool

Android:
>look for what feels like an eternity to find an app that doesn't bombard you with ads or requires shady authorizations
>learn about f-droid
>can't install it, need to enable apps from other sources
>tons of unpolished apps
>end up using pic related
>it looks like a Windows 95 application

muh choices

Attached: net.androgames.level.36.png (192x192, 3K)

>void warranty
Not legally in the US. They can only void your warranty if they can prove the software modification caused damage itself.

>what is Samsung Knox

>I'm a neet that has nothing to do other than tinker with his phone and rice the shit out of it so I can post muh aesthetic homescreen on /wg/

What happened to products that just worked right out of the box?

I bought the pocophone f1, how bad did I fuck it up?

That's not what I said, stop misrepresenting my argument.
If I go to Porsche to sell me a car I expect them to set the car up to do well on most streets and even many race tracks from the factory. When I take delivery of it I find out that it comes with two steering wheels mounted, the pedals are in the wrong order and the chassis has positive camber for some reason.
That would be a big oversight from a company that has vastly more knowledge than me in setting up cars. Porsche aficinados then tell me"Don't be lazy, you sheep"
Of course I can remedy these problems, I will certainly do so and everybody is expected to do fine adjustments likes or changing fluids or a wallpaper.
Basically what it boils down to for me: I should be able to use the product comfortably in stock from.

I see what you mean, there's some truth to that with their legacy (rectangular screen) phones I think but the notched phones feel really different and new.

Unless you play rhythm games, you've done good

I disagree, I fiddled with an Xs and Xr (who the fuck signed off on these names) recently and the new design language to replace the home button feels like the definition of a tacked on software solution that's not properly integrated with the OS's design language. I'm sure you could get used to it but that was my first impression of it.

The main reason why I'm holding off for now on getting an iPhone. iOS 13 is rumored to be a pretty big step forward and I hope it'll be just that. iOS 12 focused on ironing out the mess that was iOS 11. I think 2019 will be much more interesting and competitive than 2018.

>people actually use phones with less than three charging ports

where are they

>none of them work as well as Apple's
Like what?
>really gets your nogging jogging
Oh, now you've explained everything.
Literally the first result on Google Play.
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.simonesestito.ntiles
Sixth result:
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nixgame.ruler
Has the spoonfeeding been to your satisfaction? You've basically admitted that you're incapable of searching for software to install.