Remember when deskside computers were 100 pounds or more?

Remember when deskside computers were 100 pounds or more?

Attached: p6dfha4xmii01[1].jpg (4032x3024, 1.07M)

>pounds
Excuse me?

Yeah, SGI workstations were the average consumer thing amirite? Starting at the cheap price of $150000

>pounds
As in weight or price?
If weight, use normal, fucking, units.

why are you two so stupid?

>muricans think imperial units are used outside of america
HERPDERP REMEMBER WHEN COMPUTERS WERE 15 STONES OR MORE

American site.

>sees a picture of an SGI workstation
>thinks 100 pounds means the price
you must be 18+

Oh I'm sorry I meant 7.14 stones

Even now computers are still £350 at least

>implying I'm that guy
>implying I wasn't just taken back by anyone unironically using pounds as a measure of weight in 2019

American website, foreignfag

pretty cheap for a computer

Owned by a japanese man.

bet you still won't do anything useful on it

>implying my post wasn't ironic to begin with
>implying I'm not just making fun of imperial units
>implying, by pure coincidence/convenience I'm not making fun of this low quality thread too
I am that girl (user).

Mate we use lbs over in England what're you on

The only people who are anal about metric are Canadians. Europeans have a high enough IQ to figure out both systems and not have to throw a fit every time they see the units used.

hi dodoid

I'm just making fun of your units.
t. Not so intelligent European

no we don't. when was the last recipe or container or box you saw that specified something in pounds?

I don't get it, where is computer?

Attached: Mainframe.gif (300x238, 30K)

It varies, quit being so pedantic. Lbs are typically used in the UK to denote a person's weight, or the weight of an everyday object. Grams are for cooking and everything else.

My custom super Gaymer water cooled rig weights in at 67Lbs for the tower alone.(30kg)
Don't play video games anymore, so it just mines ETH all day while heating up my room.

It's a bitch to move due to it's size.

Attached: IMG_20171201_012515-1.jpg (2103x1920, 1.86M)

No? Those were workstations or servers.

America officially uses metric though. So why aren't you?

Can it play CS 1.6?

Attached: 20181103001707_1.jpg (1792x1344, 414K)

Because we all grew up using feet, pounds, and fahrenheit so they're the units we can quickly equate real world things to.

>who was phone

maybe if it can be compiled to MIPS. probably not though, the half life engine probably has hand optimized x86 asm
you can play quake 2 though

Oooh, an SGI machine. Excuse me while I go get some petroleum jelly to beat my meat with.

Didn't the Indy and O2 machines cost like $10k?

The Indy and O2 were entry level workstations.
The Onyx was more of a server/supercomputer and costed a fortune.
>The Onyx was employed in early 1995 for development kits used to produce software for the Nintendo 64 and, because the technology was so new, the Onyx was noted as the major factor for the impressively high price of US$100,000[1]–US$250,000[2] for such kits.

Well not really a server since it had high end video hardware. More of a high end graphics workstation.

I'm aware that the Indy and O2 were entry level but most people didn't actually need more horsepower than that with SGI machines. The selling points for all SGI MIPS machines were the custom graphics hardware and IRIX. In fact, my O2 actually holds up quite well today for simple 3D stuff in some of the software it came loaded with.

Attached: D74A78BAE3ED434C8BB4BE3E6CE4A4DB.jpg (1024x885, 97K)

If you think about it, a 10x jump in price nowadays isn't that dramatic, you can easily find 1k servers as well as 30k servers.
So for a 10k low-end machine, a 150k top of the line machine shouldn't be that surprising.

"Half-Life engine" is modified Quake 1 engine.

Yes, so? It's heavily modified, so if you're implying you can run CS on the quake engine, it ain't so. Not to mention it's closed source so in any case only x86 binaries are available.

Set you back a lot more than £100 even today m8.

This.
OP is stupid.

That was top of the line never front of the line back in the day, but you would sit in front of it, behind the screen, between the chair and the keyboard, sadly it has been left behind and these days it would let you down, I have been looking one all around to use it on the spot. Great machine for small tasks.

Then get off my american imageboard faggot